Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who done it? (Spoilers)

Banul

(edited)

The new main series comic is out, featuring Trixie in a bit of a pickle. If you haven't read it yet, don't read the rest of this as it will contain spoilers

Trixie gets framed for the theft of a diamond with Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applebloom and Babs Seed implicated as accomplices. They now have to clear their names by finding the real culprit, a master thief named Rough Diamond.

Who do you think Rough Diamond is, or is disguised as? Heres my theory:

When the police chief was talking about Rough Diamond, we see her as a pony with a blue coat. That's important for later. Rough Diamond was able to plant the fake diamond in Applejack's hat. I went back to the panels where we see the main ponies watching Trixie's show, and while I couldn't see the face clearly, the pony sitting directly behind Applejack had a blue coat.

post-26748-0-37066600-1405524398.png

Next, we find out that the real diamond is planted in Trixie's hat when they open the safe it was suppose to be in, and find it empty. Trixie couldn't have had it in her hat before then, because we see her take off her hat and the end of the show to reveal that nothing is there. Whats more, once the safe is opened, a smoke bomb goes off, leading me to conclude that the culprit was the the safe room with the ponies, and planted the diamond on Trixie at the moment. In fact, one of the officers that opened the safe in the first place had a blue coat.

post-26748-0-15526300-1405524424_thumb.png

Therefor, I must come the the conclusion that...

OFFICE TROTTER IS ROUGH DIAMOND

post-26748-0-23498000-1405524437.png

Anyway, I'm probably way off because this is the first episode, but do you pony folk have any suspects?

Edited by Banul

My money's on the pony who notified the cops that the doorknob was covered with obvious scratches, indicating to anyone with eyes that it had been picked. If Rough Diamond is as good a thief as they all claim, that seems like a really rookie mistake, to the point that it must have been intentional.

Speaking of the safe, the combination was 4-14-84. Does anyone else besides me think that that's a subtle reference to something? 4-14-84, or April 14, '84. I'm pretty sure the first generation of MLP came out in 83, so it can't be that...am I just overthinking this? Wouldn't be the first time...

• Brohoof 1

If you are a special effects buff, the name of Trixies assistant "peppers ghost" will give you quite a giggle.

And as for suspects, I'm gussing one of the police officers is the theif, perhaps even the chief himself.

My money's on the pony who notified the cops that the doorknob was covered with obvious scratches, indicating to anyone with eyes that it had been picked. If Rough Diamond is as good a thief as they all claim, that seems like a really rookie mistake, to the point that it must have been intentional.

Speaking of the safe, the combination was 4-14-84. Does anyone else besides me think that that's a subtle reference to something? 4-14-84, or April 14, '84. I'm pretty sure the first generation of MLP came out in 83, so it can't be that...am I just overthinking this? Wouldn't be the first time...

That's the air date of Rescue at Midnight Castle. The first G1 special, which had sea ponies and Tirek.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know - why did Chief Stablemaker ask Officer Trotter to do the second search after Trixie volunteered? I found that to be really suspicious, honestly.

Perhaps they're both Rough Diamond? Trotter performing the heists while Chief Stablemaker grants police immunity, and then they split the profit? 

That's what I think :D

Also, you should add "SPOILERS" in big letters to the topic title :D Prevent people from seeing what they might not yet want to know.

I have to say that this arc started off brilliantly! Of course not the epic quality of the AU arc, but pretty good thus far.

Also...

My suspicions center on the director right now, but it could indeed be one of the police officer. Ugh, I'm terrible at detective angles...

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Spoilers for main series #22. Don't open if you havent read it yet!

Yes! I was right all along! except I got her name wrong.

'Twas the blue pony, officer Fluffles, who I thought was named Trotter.

post-26748-0-53924800-1407960284_thumb.png

Got some real feels there with Babs and Trixie. I think this turned out to be a pretty good arc, though maybe a little short. Hopefully they'll do what they did with Trixie and highlight some more popular secondary characters in the future. More Zecora comics pls.

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 1

Spoilers for main series #22. Don't open if you havent read it yet!

Yes! I was right all along! except I got her name wrong.

'Twas the blue pony, officer Fluffles, who I thought was named Trotter.

attachicon.gifphoto.PNG

Got some real feels there with Babs and Trixie. I think this turned out to be a pretty good arc, though maybe a little short. Hopefully they'll do what they did with Trixie and highlight some more popular secondary characters in the future. More Zecora comics pls.

They do, in fact have a Zecora comic...kind of. It's the Friends Forever #5 comic

• Brohoof 1

Yeahh, there was a couple of feelsy moments in the comics between Babs and Trixie. :D I was suprised at the culprit, I was honestly thinking it'd be someone else (you can see if you look at my first post)

Now, give me a comic of just Rarity, Trixie, and Applejack all being like the Charlie's Angels, except it'd be "ghostie's angels" and I'll just stop here :please:

• Brohoof 1

Well, the comic was fairly good, and much better than the previous arc that felt like it took itself far to seriously for a FiM comic. It was great to get some hardcore resolution with Trixie and seeing her interact with Babs was great.

post-23625-0-62426900-1407973004_thumb.jpg she touched the but heuheuheuhe

I felt like it was a good comic overall, and I'd rate it a 7.5/10. It wasn't ground breaking or amazing, but it was a very nice little self contained story.

• Brohoof 1

Well, as far as slice-of-life goes, it isn't up there with Big Mac's arc, BUT it was a good, fun story. The best parts were easily the interaction between Trixie & Babs, and I loved AJ's determined look later in the issue. XD

Honestly, I didn't even try to solve  the mystery. I tend to miss the most obvious of clues anyway.

Overall, good stuff. I preferred the previous arc myself, BUT stuff like this is totally acceptable!

• Brohoof 1

It would be nice to see our culprit return again, perhaps with more of a backstory. I don't know, but since the entire comic was based on ponies taking advantage of their second chances and the idea that change is possible even after you've committed some of the most horrendous acts imaginable, it seems rather disheartening to leave our mastermind thief as just another crook behind bars.

I mean, I don't know if they would do it, but you have to wonder where the Rough Diamond's origins came from. For instance, she has a diamond cutie mark, and for all we know it is the glaring trait that points her out as a thief. But perhaps we should step back and take a closer examination.

I don't think her destiny is being a thief. It might be her talent, but not her future. Perhaps she was a diamond cutter or even a jewelry salesmare working in Manehattan's Diamond District. And perhaps, lets say, the city somehow cheated her as it once did to Rarity. However, unlike Rarity, she had nowhere to go.

So eventually she found that she had a knack for thievery, and that she was pretty good at it. 

Another plausible theory is the fact that she joined the police. Now, we could look at it as her way of hiding all her crimes, but I don't think that would take up the bulk of her time, considering she's still just a beat cop. So there's evidence to indicate she might actually have a heart and genuinely want to help this city, although perhaps not as Robin Hoof. There stands a chance she's done some rather heroic things, or there stands a chance she's just corrupted. But who really knows.

She seems to have, however, done something to earn her place by the chief's side. Although whether it was done just for show or perhaps for actual heroism is up for debate.

Anyway, I'd like to see more of her, mostly because I don't feel satisfied with leaving her as the villain when the comic was trying to convince the reader about giving even the worst of ponies second chances. 

Oh well, who knows. It could be Catwoman all over again.

• Brohoof 2

I thought for sure Rough Diamond was going to end up being some kind of Robin Hood character. The name Rough Diamond reminds me of the "diamond in the rough" idiom

• Brohoof 1

Well in the behind the scenes commentary, the writer had wanted to add more backstory, but just run out of space to add one. I'm hoping that eventually this villain will see a return, because let's face it, she's not the type to go quietly into the night unless her bags are stuffed full of gems.

Which by the way, I wonder how much trouble she's given Diamond Dogs or Dragons?