Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did I do the right thing or did I practice discord

Rainbow_Dash_Hock3y

What happened was this,when I was in a hockey game somebody on the other team over heard me talking to my friends about mlp hockey references while I was on the bench. When the lines changed I got on the ice and lined up to the face off. The guy who over heard me started to call me a pony fag and a horse humper. I ignored the guy but he got mad at me and pushed me to the ice. When I got up I punched him which started a all out brawl between my team and the other team and even the goalies got into the fight. The refs was able to get backup and then pushed both teams and me off the ice and into the locker rooms. My parents were not mad at me because I standed up for myself but my coach was pissed. Next practice we had to skate 50 laps and do 100 push ups. Even after that punishment I felt like I did the wrong thing even though I defended myself and my team (everyone on my team is a brony). So did I do the right think or did I practice discord.

P.S. I am a nice person and hardly hit people on the ice other than checking

Edited by Jdog1242
  • Brohoof 10

If he pushed you down first, I'd say that makes him the aggressor, so I don't blame you for hitting him. Then again, I also don't think the coach was being unreasonable in punishing you, because it did start a brawl, and you were as equally to blame for that as the other guy. But your parents took your side, so you should just accept it as a life lesson, and move on. Your parents' opinion of you is more important than your coach's, after all.

• Brohoof 6

I feel that it's absolutely the right thing to do. Tossing around a word like "Fag" is never something that should be taken lightly. It's highly offensive no matter what the person's real intentions for the use of the word are. Considering he struck first, you were just defending yourself, and from the sounds of it, your teammates too! Never heard of a whole team being bronies before, that's fantastic! Honestly, who cares what the coach thinks in a situation like this, your parents seemed to support your decision, because as you said, you stood up for yourself. I suppose remember this if nothing else, stand up for your beliefs and push forward knowing that what you feel is right makes you who you are. Keep on being the nice person you always are, follow your feelings and thoughts and you'll be just fine. :)

Edited by Mythic Pony
  • Brohoof 4

not sure if i can be much help, britpony here, hockey isnt such a big thing to us  :wacko:

but it seems to me you definitely did the right thing standing up for yourself and friends  B)

hockey is a family sport correct?

being so it should be about acceptance and good sportsmanship, something the other guy abviously lacked

• Brohoof 1

Don't give in to the hate, many people do things to elicit a  response. And, he got a big one, he got you to start a brawl, he made you the bad guy with him. You may have defended your self but, it was gungho. Your team got in a fight and physically hurt, you are fine and they are fine but, was it worth to get your mates hurt over? I would say no, I do not blame you but, Sometimes things require a vigilant mind, I applaud you for asking us. Have a good one! 

U fought in defence. That's actually something bronies need :P

That's a nice way to put it :)

But, wouldn't we create people who would then claim they were "Assaulted by crazy bronies"? I mean, if they were hurt and believe they were a victim in a victim-less situation, wouldn't that just solidify their hatred and, possibly, allow it to grow and spread?

Yup, you were totally right, and your coach is a tool.

Hello? I don't think brawls and hurting your team mates in a meaningless fight is a bad thing sir/ma'am. 

• Brohoof 1

Personally I'm not one for violence, if he started it he's technically at fault, but idk. Personally I don't know if I'd have started a fight about it, of course I am kinda passive most of the time, but what he did was certainly rude.

Your coach probably just saw the fact there was a brawl and was ticked off that the game was stopped for it, which is why he have you all laps.

Idk, I'm kind of torn. I don't really care for violence as a solution, but in another way the other dude kinda deserved it.

• Brohoof 1

I feel that it's absolutely the right thing to do. Tossing around a word like "Fag" is never something that should be taken lightly. It's highly offensive no matter what the person's real intentions for the use of the word are. Considering he struck first, you were just defending yourself, and from the sounds of it, your teammates too! Never heard of a whole team being bronies before, that's fantastic! Honestly, who cares what the coach thinks in a situation like this, your parents seemed to support your decision, because as you said, you stood up for yourself. I suppose remember this if nothing else, stand up for your beliefs and push forward knowing that what you feel is right makes you who you are. Keep on being the nice person you always are, follow your feelings and thoughts and you'll be just fine. :)

But, didn't it start a brawl, that he said, happened because he threw a punch? Meaning, that one guy was setting it up so that when he fought back, his team would be "Justified" for going out there and hitting him, thereby, giving them a chance to punch some "Pony fags"? And then would solidify the hatred through physical violence?

Don't give in to the hate, many people do things to elicit a  response. And, he got a big one, he got you to start a brawl, he made you the bad guy with him. You may have defended your self but, it was gungho. Your team got in a fight and physically hurt, you are fine and they are fine but, was it worth to get your mates hurt over? I would say no, I do not blame you but, Sometimes things require a vigilant mind, I applaud you for asking us. Have a good one! 

But, wouldn't we create people who would then claim they were "Assaulted by crazy bronies"? I mean, if they were hurt and believe they were a victim in a victim-less situation, wouldn't that just solidify their hatred and, possibly, allow it to grow and spread?

Hello? I don't think brawls and hurting your team mates in a meaningless fight is a bad thing sir/ma'am.

since ancient history, minorities have been targeted. In some cases of history, violence was the answer. But in this case, I find myself agreeing with you. But then what would you have the guy do? Get insulted and just lay down? (Is not an offensive question I'm just asking)
  • Brohoof 1

since ancient history, minorities have been targeted. In some cases of history, violence was the answer. But in this case, I find myself agreeing with you. But then what would you have the guy do? Get insulted and just lay down? (Is not an offensive question I'm just asking)

Yes, yes, I would, but who would say anything about lying down? I would juts hold my stance and not do anything to help support his delusions. I mean, one could see it as something similar to non-violent civil disobedience, I just prefer to not give anyone reason to hate us, but instead, make them feel guilty, make them see that we are in fact, not people who should be hated, but instead, tolerated, or heck, even loved. I mean, even if you did punch him, what point did one make? You seem to be unsure here, I apologize for this long winded statement. 

• Brohoof 1

I would say you did the right thing you stuck up for yourself and that is a good thing some haters just take it too far....

I am not sure if this is worth stating but, this is hockey, brawls are to be expected, but, they are preventable. And yes, people take it too far, but would it be worth bringing your friends into the brawl? 

You didn't do the right thing, instead you should have beaned him with your hockey stick.

Joking, of course. My belief is that the fighting didn't solve anything, yet it's perfectly acceptable if you wanted to vent your anger on someone who, frankly, deserved it. After all, emotions are irrational like that.

• Brohoof 1

Hello there, nice to meetcha sir/madam :D

I'm just saying it's not his fault if he didn't start it. If someone pushes my friend over and calls him a fag, I'm not going to stand idly by and let him do it. That's what friends are there for - you help each other out of situations, and back them up when you need to.

Now, if he'd thrown a punch purely for a verbal insult, then I'd agree it was wrong.

• Brohoof 2

I would say "no, you shouldn't have punched the guy, no matter HOW mad he made you" but if he actually started the physical altercation there's nothing wrong with defending yourself.  Then again though, you got in trouble for it, so did he really start it?  Maybe that 'pushing you onto the ice' wasn't as rough as you made it sound and you could've just brushed it off and continued to ignore the guy's petty anger at someone else for no reason other than liking a thing.  Or maybe you could've dealt with it with some wiser means than a punch.  Then again though, aren't such things kind of expected in the sport of hockey these days?  lol

• Brohoof 1

You did the right thing. He started the brawl and threw around insults that I wouldn't have taken lightly (I'd probably attempt to get into a verbal pissing match).

Your coach is being unreasonable.

Hello there, nice to meetcha sir/madam :D

I'm just saying it's not his fault if he didn't start it. If someone pushes my friend over and calls him a fag, I'm not going to stand idly by and let him do it. That's what friends are there for - you help each other out of situations, and back them up when you need to.

Now, if he'd thrown a punch purely for a verbal insult, then I'd agree it was wrong.

How are you today? azLg8vb_460sa_v1.gif

Now, this may take awhile, for I lost my little moment of clarity here XD Oopsy?

Yes, camaraderie is a great thing and I wouldn't put it past you. (Nice point by the way!) But, would it be worth it if he could defend himself? Like, he was surrounded by many spectators, many people would go down there and defend him if he was going to be abused, he could have waited and showed that, this guy was being a jerk instead of blurring the lines. I have no counter argument yet so GOOD LUCK BRO! :D

• Brohoof 2

How are you today? azLg8vb_460sa_v1.gif

Now, this may take awhile, for I lost my little moment of clarity here XD Oopsy?

Yes, camaraderie is a great thing and I wouldn't put it past you. (Nice point by the way!) But, would it be worth it if he could defend himself? Like, he was surrounded by many spectators, many people would go down there and defend him if he was going to be abused, he could have waited and showed that, this guy was being a jerk instead of blurring the lines. I have no counter argument yet so GOOD LUCK BRO! :D

Not too bad, thank you, and you? :3

You have a valid point too. Honestly, both have their pros and cons xD

Ideally, one shouldn't retaliate in kind, but...how many things go in an ideal manner? :3

• Brohoof 3

Show that *********er not to mess with bronies :angry:!!! Sucks to the coach! You should have kept fighting so you can win all future battles!

You could have been more civil (I would have been angry and wanted to fight, but I'm no good at fighting), but...

Not too bad, thank you, and you? :3

You have a valid point too. Honestly, both have their pros and cons xD

Ideally, one shouldn't retaliate in kind, but...how many things go in an ideal manner? :3

DAWWW thank you! I FEEL SO GIDDY AND HAPPY NOW! XD tumblr_m7vs0w9uwp1rt3fn2.gif

Yes, I guess it does depend on what he wanted to gain from it. Whether he decided he should stand up for his honour or whatever I was on about. I forgot. Sorry? XD

• Brohoof 2

But, didn't it start a brawl, that he said, happened because he threw a punch? Meaning, that one guy was setting it up so that when he fought back, his team would be "Justified" for going out there and hitting him, thereby, giving them a chance to punch some "Pony fags"? And then would solidify the hatred through physical violence?

Hmm...well, you do have a good point. I suppose it's a dicey situation to begin with, however, I still don't really think what was done was necessarily "bad" Yes, I agree that hatred and physical violence aren't really the means to settle something. No matter what though, if provoked, things can only go so far, obviously though, peaceful solutions are better. Playing sports though for a long part of my life, I can attest to the fact that adrenaline and being zoned in can make actions a bit more aggressive. Regardless, I think that honestly, it's something to learn from, and better yourself with, we all have experiences and they teach us a lot.

Hmm...well, you do have a good point. I suppose it's a dicey situation to begin with, however, I still don't really think what was done was necessarily "bad" Yes, I agree that hatred and physical violence aren't really the means to settle something. No matter what though, if provoked, things can only go so far, obviously though, peaceful solutions are better. Playing sports though for a long part of my life, I can attest to the fact that adrenaline and being zoned in can make actions a bit more aggressive. Regardless, I think that honestly, it's something to learn from, and better yourself with, we all have experiences and they teach us a lot.

Yes, I can stand behind that last statement!

53XxENz.gif

But, as time would sadly have it, I have lost my moment of clarit, and do not have a counter argument, sorry about that person... 

Hugs?