Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Can TV Affect The Personality Of a viewer?

ukxRainbowdash

Well I was thinking earlier about how my life has changed ever since I started watching Anime and other shows. I don't mean my general life I mean how I act and how I think.

Since watching certain shows I find I take a new perspective of certain things, I believe one show can affect how I think sometimes and how I act. For example since watching MLP I have grown into a kinder person, since watching some anime I get new views on various topics of discussion and maybe even change some of the ways I act to suit a character without intending to do so.

So what do you think? Can certain shows affect the personality of whoever views it?

• Brohoof 4

I do think it could change people a bit. I went through the same when I became a fan of MLP, I can say I'm much kinder now and seek to make more friends than before. Another example from my own experience is Avatar: The Last Airbender, that show is the only one that I could like more than MLP, it made me become a much calm and relaxed person and made me adopt some ideas from Buddhism and take them into practice... So, yes, I think shows could change people's way of thinking/acting.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on the show and the person, way too many have said that MLP has changed them in positive ways to dismiss this but though it is a notable case it is far from the only one. A lot of shows have certain messages or certain episodes with certain messages. One of my favorite shows growing up was Hey Arnold, like MLP it had a lot of episodes with certain moral messages but wasn't all that preachy about it. Some of the messages I got right away and some of had more meaning to me as I got older. 

• Brohoof 1

It depends. Some things can change your viewpoint on a subject, like "The Cove". Some things can make you develop new tastes (I'm not saying you can become murderous). Perhaps you'll take an interest in guns after playing "Call of Duty"? Or perhaps you want to know more about the band that provided that cool song during an epic fight scene? (Like how "Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge" made me a fan of Disturbed)

So yes, I'd say TV can change you. But it depends on the person and what's going on on the TV screen.

• Brohoof 2

I think it can at least to some extent, though I guess it is simply that it introduces new ideas to us which we may use as our own. So in a way it is still our personality though we may have adjusted our ideas but that's how it is we change our views if we find some that we feel are better then our own.

• Brohoof 1

It most certainly affects the viewer. Not just series and movies do that, though. The biggest "Changer of Minds" on TV is the news. No, I'm going to rant about how evil modern media is (It's a mixed bag, just like verything else) but it DOES affect the minds of people directly or indirectly.

Cartoons, series and movies also affect the way people think. The thing is, it doesn't affect people the way some extremist anti-TV/Games/Wack-da-Mole people think. Series and stuff are forms of art (Either good or bad) and art is subject to free interpretation. What effect it has on a person differs from person to person, depending on the way that person thinks. If a story is fictional or not also differs how people interpret it. Some people will take TV more serious than other people, but it does influance the way you think in one way or another. Humans are a very reflective species afterall.

• Brohoof 2