Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Most Hated Fictional Characters (Live Action and Animated)

TheAnimationFanatic

1) Elmo: Sesame Street revolves around him to the point where it's become The Elmo Show.

2) Vicky from Fairly OddParents: ...Do I even have to say it?

3) Ash from Pokemon: He is too dense, and has not had character development whatsoever.

4) Misty: Same reasons as Ash.

5) Team Rocket: Honestly, by this point, they're just a dead Ponyta.

6) Stan Smith: He's a conservative Republican stereotype.

6) Stan Smith: He's a conservative Republican stereotype.

Seriously? Do you not realize that's the joke? His character is made to make fun of that.

First of all, I "hate" these characters because of more exacting, critical standards than I usually apply to film. I don't hate the below characters the same way I do Joffery or Cersei Lannister, who while . . . infuriatingly despicable, still work as characters and the roles they are supposed to play. The below examples don't. In ascending order of dislike from least to greatest:

Jen Yu (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) - Lowest on the list because my reasons for disliking her are actually part of the movie's point, so at least some of why she's easy to dislike is intentional. This brat prodigy is never satisfied and hates the world. She's born into a wealthy family. Yeah, arranged marriage is a bummer, but even when every opportunity, legitimate and otherwise is afforded her to live a better life, she just runs away and pouts more. For every friend and ally she has, she spits in their face! The only part of this that I don't like is that the movie tries to get the audience to see she's troubled but still sympathize with her. That second part never worked for me, she's too bitter and hate filled for me to consider her redemption genuine.

Jake Sully - Traitor and missed opportunity. Jake Sully is a misanthrope and a traitor. If he had done his job and persuaded the Na'vi that one slice of unobtanium rich land wasn't worth dying over. Or that the material was needed to, you know save the Earth(!), he could have prevented hundreds of deaths and STILL stayed with his adopted home. Here's another wasted opportunity, why didn't they cast a Native American actor to play him? Wouldn't the character's connection to the Na'vi traditions of hunting and animal husbandry and even his motivation to turn on the RDA made at least some sense if the character had a background and heritage that he found spoke to him during the situation? Thus, making the deliberate meta similarity to history observable by our main viewpoint character rather than something that is never even touched upon and there fore divorcing genuine feelings from the film?

Flash Sentry - Not because he stole my waifu, as Twilight doesn't and never held that position, but because he's not a character. No, Flash is a box to tick. I don't know what was wrong, but the writer's usual ability to take tired archetypes and inject them with new life as they did with some of the Mane Six is completely absent from Flash. He could have sat in on chemistry class with Twi and be revealed to be pretty good at it, or he could have another teacher he shares a strong connection with, or he could have a hidden passion for something nerdy or even girly. (Sound familiar?) There's nothing to him that the characters acknowledge or react to outside of the scenes he appears in. His role as Twi's (and I hesitate to even use this word) "love interest" therefore actually makes Twilight behave out of character to facilitate the romance. This was the pony who wouldn't stop to make friends, but over the course of actually getting to know others, found it within to open up to them. Now she extends her heart to someone that neither she nor the audience know anything about?!

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Let's see

Sparky. (Fairly Oddparents. I honestly think he ruined the show.).

Misty's togepi. (Pokemon. Sort of ruined Misty in the eyes of plenty of fans.).

The entire cast of family guy(with a slight exception in Meg though not fully).

Jar Jar Binks (Star Wars. Do I have to say anything here).

Patrick Star.(Spongebob Squarepants. He just hasn't gotten any better.).

Nocturne.(Danny Phantom. His episode was awesome but he was just annoying.).

That's about all I can think of really. I don't let plenty of others but I can't really think of any other names.