Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Derpy overrated?

Snuggie Lord

I don't think it's possible for a character whose role in the show is one protracted cameo to be overrated. So a lot of people like her. So what? Yeah, it's annoying when people overlook everything else in an episode and focus on her presence, but it's only a slim segment of bronies that actually rank her above the actual written characters.

It's fun to like Derpy.

Nah, she isn't overrated, not to me. She was basically birthed by the fandom due to one little error and the writers fully acknowledge her and put her in the show. I always thought and still think that is neato Cheetos in San Francino. :3

• 7 years later...

I believe she's very overrated. I don't hate her, I just don't think she deserves all the love.

Like in a Litteshy video when he was talking about Starlight he was like "Yeah Starlight's good but she's no Derpy." and I'm like "Dude, what did Derpy ever do to the show aside from memes and fan service? Answer: Almost absolutely nothing at all." Cause she only had like one episode that was "Slice of Life" and that was just it. It's like Starlight had an actual arc in the show and wasn't there just for fan love. 

Overall, like I said, I don't hate her, it just frustrates me when so many fans put her over actual characters in the show that had an actual purpose.

• 3 months later...

I think she is overrated, but that doesn't mean I don't like her. I think she's amazing! She has a special attribute that has caused many fans to love her, but she is still a background character that has not contributed as much to the show as the side and main characters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Any of the former select background characters that became canon due to fandom interest despite already established characters can be considered "overrated", but there was the time when the show tried to canonize her fandom persona which obviously backfired due to the edgy nature of her character and the internet based fandom which led to her name being canonically dropped and her brief disappearance. I actually don't mind her and think she's fine, especially over time.