Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Using other's artwork as a reference?

lunarpony7

What is the general opinion on using another's art as a reference, at least for something like MLP? You can't exactly use a real photo as a reference because there aren't any photographs of (MLP) ponies, at least that I know of :derp: I guess screenshots from the show are the most kosher references, but those are really just drawings too. I ask because I use a lot of reference pictures, and a recent drawing of mine (http://fav.me/d88isdg) looks quite a bit like the reference, especially because the pose is somewhat unique, rather than a generic blank stand pose.

There's nothing wrong with using other's artwork as a reference, or so what I think. Obviously, you should be careful with these references, otherwise it'll make you look unoriginal and a thief. If you want to find a way to use other's artwork, then I suggest that you should stick with the reference and leave the rest up to your imagination.

For example, one of my character's designs has a lanky body shape, but it was inspired by another character similar to mine. I left the rest for myself to decide, however, like the hair and the clothing.

• Brohoof 1

I don't find any issue with using another artist's work as a reference.

If you're using their work as an anatomy reference, a collr reference, etc. then, it's not stealing.

• Brohoof 1

With how much art there is, and how many artists there are, creativity can only be spread so far. At some point, you're going to see a bit of overlap, and a bit of mimicking or "reference" as you put it. If anything, it shows that whoever is using it appreciates your work, and wants to emulate it.

• Brohoof 1

There's nothing wrong with using a reference or mimicking a certain point in a drawing. Don't copy the entire thing, but if there is something in another person's drawing you like then feel free to add it to your own style. That's how styles are born, through others interpretations of what they like in art.

• Brohoof 1