Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP on Blu-Ray

Pinkie-Guy

I don't know but it needs to happen. Stat. I know you can get them on iTunes but the beauty of Blu-Ray is that if iTunes or Amazon or Google go away, you have your discs. It's why I collect CD's. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, I'm pretty sure you can get seasons 1 and 2 on blu-ray in Germany but all the packaging is in German (English audio is included though).

I hate to say this, but I'd honestly suspect there isn't enough demand to warrant a blu-ray release. While we've been getting SD box sets slowly, I would imagine it's mostly parents buying them for their children. That group probably wouldn't be interested. I think if we were to get a blu ray release, it would be some sort of 'complete collection' thing after the show finishes.

• Brohoof 1

There's no excuse for not having something modern on blu-ray.  It's not like they have to remaster it.  Maybe they put in new menu and packaging designs, but that's about it.  They could always just reuse the DVD equivalents.

Maybe it'll come out on DiscoVision.

It might be because physical media is dying. You know...I love collecting CD's but it's getting harder to find my favorite albums on CD anymore. Amazon has CD's for half of what the MP3 version would cost. And buying CD's from Amazon gives you the MP3 version of the album for free. Did you know that's happening? 

Seriously, I got Dookie by Green Day on CD for $5  and got the MP3 version for free.

The MP3 version was $12. 

Oceania by Smashing Pumpkins: CD w/free MP3 version = $4.99

MP3 version by itself = $9.99.

I'm sure they're doing it to clear out inventory. 

Blu Ray hasn't been around long but I'm sure it's going the way of the cassette by now. Everyone prefers streaming. Which is fine and dandy, really. But as far as audio is concerned, I love having the physical product. I'm a hardware type of guy though. I'm not sure how I feel about streaming video games in the future because I like having my own machine that plays games itself. And I like having CDs for the aforementioned reason. 

Though I'd really like to see Blu Ray versions of MLP and I'm sure Hasbro knows of its adult fanbase (the execs would have to be idiots or blind to not know of us), but as previously pointed out, the demand probably isn't high enough for a Blu-Ray version to be produced. 

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, the thing we really need is a My Little Pony: Friendship is magic 3ds or Wii U game.

Ehhhh I don't know how I feel about that idea. Bad things tend to happen when a good movie or TV show is turned into a full blown video game. The Gameloft app is pretty fun, but I don't know if I want a console/PC MLP game.

• Brohoof 1

Lol I used to play the Gameloft app, but I haven't in a while. Not since my old phone broke. I had hundreds of hours of work in that game. I was like, level 65...then my phone broke and I lost everything :(

I have no desire to get it all back. That was a lot of work

• Brohoof 1

Amazon has CD's for half of what the MP3 version would cost. And buying CD's from Amazon gives you the MP3 version of the album for free. Did you know that's happening?

Yeah, and you get the mp3s right away while the CD ships.  I don't know why anyone wouldn't get the CD when it's cheaper.

I like streaming, it's convenient, but I'm a videophile and blu-ray the absolute best you can get.  Nothing else comes close in terms of raw picture quality.  It's also the best source to make fair use works from.

Yeah, I'm playing the gameloft game now.  I'm at maxed out at level 70 (Windows version) and I've defeated Nightmare Moon.  I think you can save to the cloud in the updated versions on other platforms.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, and you get the mp3s right away while the CD ships.  I don't know why anyone wouldn't get the CD when it's cheaper.

I like streaming, it's convenient, but I'm a videophile and blu-ray the absolute best you can get.  Nothing else comes close in terms of raw picture quality.  It's also the best source to make fair use works from.

Yeah, I'm playing the gameloft game now.  I'm at maxed out at level 70 (Windows version) and I've defeated Nightmare Moon.  I think you can save to the cloud in the updated versions on other platforms.

I don't consider myself an audiophile or a videophile though I do like HD when I can get it and in a video game if my PC can run it at 1080p, I'm all for it unless it's less than 60 fps. That takes priority over everything. i'll take a resolution or texture quality hit before I don't get 60 fps. Anyway, I have vinyls :D

TG4mlYp.jpg

It's my favorite way to jam! :)

I don't consider myself an audiophile. I just love vintage tech. One day, I'd like to also have a tape deck! :D

But yeah, CD's give you the best digital audio quality there is. It really, really sucks that they're dying :(

I'm working on expanding my collection. One day, I'd like to have hundreds! I hope to have kids one day and they'll go digging through my collection and I can show them all my awesome music I've collected through the years :)

Edited by Spaced Out Woona

The thing about audio, and video for that matter, is it's only as good as the equipment you play it on.  Since there isn't DRM anymore, they should start selling lossless music.  It's not like we're stuck with 20 gig hard drives anymore.  You could always convert them to transfer to a portable device.  iTunes will already do that (down to 128kbps though).

My father had tons of records collected over decades in the basement, but they all got ruined in Hurricane Sandy.

Technically, there's Super Audio CDs and DVD Audio discs with quality beyond your standard CD, but neither of those really took off.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

What would be even better is if MLP was in 4k :P

It would be nice, though truth be told, I don't have 4K TV and think they're still kind of expensive.  It wouldn't look any better on my TV than say a blu-ray with a bumped up bit rate in 1080p and even then, the different between that and a standard issue blu-ray might be hard to see.

Still, if I did have a 4k setup, then it would be super awesome.  They'll do blu-ray before 4K so maybe it'll come out when I finally do get a 4K setup.

• Brohoof 1