Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Stuck with CutieMark backstory

Ink Drop

So I've been working on my OC's story for a while now and it's going pretty well over all,  but I'm stuck and have no idea what to do. I have her story completed worked out and it's perfect and wonderful but I am never satisfied with what I write.  :(

Basic run down of the part I'm stuck at: Quill Burst has a talent in storytelling and likes to sell her works at the bookshop she and her sister, Winter Poem, opened in ponyville. Well the crusaders come in and get nosy and ask how they received theirs. 

Winter Poem's I have down as getting stuck inside due to a blizzard and started making up stories with their dad. Stories got boring and dad started reciting poems and after making a few of her own Winter realized she was good at it because she received her cutiemark 2 hours into making poems.

Quill Burst had a similar story to Winter Poem's at the beginning, but I realized it wasn't original enough and scrapped it. But now I'm starting to second guess that choice...

Have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

As a little bit of a fleshing out kind of deal, what's the personality of Quill Burst? The whole cutie mark discovery bit has a lot to do with who they are as a character from what I can tell, as well as what they're good at.  :) Twilight discovered hers in a burst of raw potential, RD by trying something extreme and daring that most would shy away from, Pinkie by realizing her greatest joy is giving joy to others, and so on.

:grin2: From the sound of Winter Poem's cutie mark story, her personality seems like it would likely be a content, fairly wise soul who values family/friendship as well as enchanting the world with ideas both fantastic/creative and possibly contemplative.

As a little bit of a fleshing out kind of deal, what's the personality of Quill Burst? The whole cutie mark discovery bit has a lot to do with who they are as a character from what I can tell, as well as what they're good at.  :) Twilight discovered hers in a burst of raw potential, RD by trying something extreme and daring that most would shy away from, Pinkie by realizing her greatest joy is giving joy to others, and so on.

:grin2: From the sound of Winter Poem's cutie mark story, her personality seems like it would likely be a content, fairly wise soul who values family/friendship as well as enchanting the world with ideas both fantastic/creative and possibly contemplative.

I'm a little shocked you were able to see Winter Poem's personality from that. I haven't had many people able to see it from that little of information. 

Quill Burst's personality is kind of opposite to Winter Poem's I like to say. She's collected over all but has many spurts when she gets creative that she just ends up acting overly childish. She tends to have bursts of inspiration but have them die within seconds which tends to be an issue for her.

I'm a little shocked you were able to see Winter Poem's personality from that. I haven't had many people able to see it from that little of information. 

Quill Burst's personality is kind of opposite to Winter Poem's I like to say. She's collected over all but has many spurts when she gets creative that she just ends up acting overly childish. She tends to have bursts of inspiration but have them die within seconds which tends to be an issue for her.

Glad to hear I was accurate in that, haha.  :grin2: Still, those stories seem to be about finding who they are as I've said, as well as what they're good at. So, taking what she was doing at the time, it draws attention to what she values, what she does, and what comes naturally to her.

Considering Quill Burst's character... she seems like the inspired artistic-genius who fluctuates between brilliance and distraction. She seems like a free spirit, less concerned with complicated matters and opting more for entertainment and enchantment. I don't know if that's still fully accurate, but however she is, what does she value? What is she passionate about? What does she write?

I'm not sure I see her finishing a long-winded project unless I underscored her well-collected bit, but maybe she was raised as a dreamer absorbing creative works from the outside world, and in a bout of inspiration, she created something and shared it with those around her, and found she was genuinely good at spinning stories and capturing the attention of her readers in a refreshing and new way. Maybe she found she could write so well that her readers felt like there were there in the story. And, after realizing this is what she wanted to do... well yeah.

Of course, many other paths that may suit her personality even better likely exist.  :fluttershy: Just my first train of thought is all.

Hah, maybe she would always be getting into trouble, and telling outlandish stories to try and weasel her way out of taking responsibility.

Or if you want something more grand, maybe she was just playing pretend one day when other ponies got interested in the world she was building, and before the day was over dozes of ponies, young and old, were all following her pretend story as heroes and villains.

Edited by Dulset Tarn

Glad to hear I was accurate in that, haha.  :grin2: Still, those stories seem to be about finding who they are as I've said, as well as what they're good at. So, taking what she was doing at the time, it draws attention to what she values, what she does, and what comes naturally to her.

Considering Quill Burst's character... she seems like the inspired artistic-genius who fluctuates between brilliance and distraction. She seems like a free spirit, less concerned with complicated matters and opting more for entertainment and enchantment. I don't know if that's still fully accurate, but however she is, what does she value? What is she passionate about? What does she write?

I'm not sure I see her finishing a long-winded project unless I underscored her well-collected bit, but maybe she was raised as a dreamer absorbing creative works from the outside world, and in a bout of inspiration, she created something and shared it with those around her, and found she was genuinely good at spinning stories and capturing the attention of her readers in a refreshing and new way. Maybe she found she could write so well that her readers felt like there were there in the story. And, after realizing this is what she wanted to do... well yeah.

Of course, many other paths that may suit her personality even better likely exist.  :fluttershy: Just my first train of thought is all.

I actually have her at time being a short story book writer, that tends to do small little stories that have open cliff hanger endingd, so she can have the readers use their imagination to make an ending that they seem satisfied with.

Hah, maybe she would always be getting into trouble, and telling outlandish stories to try and weasel her way out of taking responsibility.

Or if you want something more grand, maybe she was just playing pretend one day when other ponies got interested in the world she was building, and before the day was over dozes of ponies, young and old, were all following her pretend story as heroes and villains.

That first idea sounds like something she would do, when she was little. And the towns pony's pretending for her sounds like the cutest idea ever  :yay:

• Brohoof 1

I actually really like that idea especially the first one :D  but the first idea that came to my mind was that when she was a filly in school she finished her work quickly so in her spare time she helped out the other ponies in her class but got really fustrated seeing all the spelling and grammar mistakes so she went home and rewrote all of the other ponies assignments. But the teacher knew that the only pony capable of doing that kind of work was Quill Burst (keep in mind that her school work was far beyond her year) so when the teacher called Quill Burst into her office and gave her an extra assignment (or detention whatever you think is better) as punishment she lied about it and gave the teacher an over exagerated story, even though it didn't work Quill Burst realized her passion for telling stories and took the assignment with joy and that's when she found her passion.

• Brohoof 1