Any Pro-Wrestling Fans Around?

Denim&Venöm

23 hours ago, Denim&Venöm said:

Remember that time Eddie was an indy darling? 

This was after Eddie was fired by WWF for "reasons" during his first time with the company, right? 

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

This was after Eddie was fired by WWF for "reasons" during his first time with the company, right? 

Right. Jim Ross made that call. His least favorite firing, but it was the wake up call Eddie needed. Heck of a time to become a journeyman, right at the year zero moments for indy wrestling. 

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Denim&Venöm said:

Right. Jim Ross made that call. His least favorite firing, but it was the wake up call Eddie needed. Heck of a time to become a journeyman, right at the year zero moments for indy wrestling. 

I've heard the story a couple of times.

I've also heard that Eddie never wanted to hold the WWE Undisputed Championship due to stress but I could be a bit wrong. 

16 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I've heard the story a couple of times.

I've also heard that Eddie never wanted to hold the WWE Undisputed Championship due to stress but I could be a bit wrong. 

He was up for trying it out. He wanted to lose it due to stress. That's how it got hot shotted to Bradshaw. 

• Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, Denim&Venöm said:

He was up for trying it out. He wanted to lose it due to stress. That's how it got hot shotted to Bradshaw. 

And a Wrestling God was born! :lookup:

• Sad 1

On 2023-10-21 at 8:55 PM, The Fiend said:

TNA TNA TNA TNA TNA TNA TNA

I hope TNA's lighting gets improved so it doesn't look as dark and empty looking like it currently is with Impact Wrestling.

• 2 weeks later...

So if you haven't heard, SD is now leaving Fox. The $1 billion, four year deal is now up. After all that, Fox is not interested cause they actually lost money on that investment. Despite WWE making more money than ever, partially through Fox dolling out $200 million a year, Fox only got a return of a little over half that.

Why? 

Because wrestling fans don't buy s:eww:t. 

All of that advertising and fans haven't taken the bait. There's been so little crossover between fans and other pop culture and entertainment mediums. Wrestling fans just largely stay to their own niche circles. Wrestling fans also lack disposable income, with most U.S. fans being: 

1. Working class Hispanic families
  2. 12 and under
  3. 50 and older
  4. Guys

That last one is also notable. Since even if a guy does buy something that's advertised, it'll be that thing and nothing else, where as women will buy other stuff from that brand. 

Advertisers also don't hide their disdain for wrestling fans. The stigma of gullible marks and carny BS hasn't changed in forty years. Even at the cultural apex of the Monday Night Wars, advertisers were even more repulsed. What made wrestling cool back then, made it repulsive to the mainstream. Wrestling's rise was less mainstream acceptance and more counter culture spotlight. Like heavy metal in the '80s. It pissed off the establishments, thus it was cool to Gen X. WWE marked heavily to those teens and college kids. Skittles, Hot Pockets, Stacker2 and Castrol Oil aren't exactly barking up the tree of established adults. It worked int hat those teens are still watching. But no new ones have jumped on board and may have been repelled by WWE's family friendlier approach in '08. Not that WWE have even bothered to figure out what attracts 18-49 and women to wrestling. 

Wrestling has been quite the anomaly. Reviled by the mainstream. Possess a fiercely loyal, long haul fan base that delivers consistent ratings on an endless factory of weekly content for a relatively low budget. But that fan base is a conundrum to advertisers. Too fake for sports. Too physical for theater. Too rough to stand with polished soap operas. Too far at the mercy of a live crowd to be serious drama. It's successful in spite of everything else. 

But AEW may have cracked the code. Early on, AEW partnered with the CEO gaming expo. And there was a lot of crossover there, between wrestling fans and gamers. I've also noticed in the con spaces that there's many wrestling fans among the crowds. From Anime Central to BronyCon to AnthroCon. Among the otaku and comic nerds and gamers and furries, there were wrestling fans. Despite being the antithesis of typical nerd culture, professional wrestling may belong in that sphere. Unintentionally, having Big Ban Theory and Young Sheldon be the lead ins to AEW may have been a stroke of genius. 

TL:DR- Wrestling fans are very frugal. Common advertising is unappealing. Advertisers do not get them or even care to. Marketing to fans not as a bunch of dude bro jocks, gullible kids or stubborn old folks, and instead as a bunch of nerds would net more profits for advertisers. 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Clawdeen 

My question, was LA Knight in a WWE Championship match at Crown Jewel because they're trying to take away momentum?

That’s a good question. LA Knight has been the highest merch seller these past few months(I looked up a few articles yesterday because I was curious as to who the top merch sellers have been for them these past few months. He was number one for September and October). Even looking online today I’m still seeing a lot of love for LA Knight online. I’m not too sure if their goal was to take away momentum but looking at what I’m seeing online his fanbase is still pretty strong.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Clawdeen said:

That’s a good question. LA Knight has been the highest merch seller these past few months(I looked up a few articles yesterday because I was curious as to who the top merch sellers have been for them these past few months. He was number one for September and October). Even looking online today I’m still seeing a lot of love for LA Knight online. I’m not too sure if their goal was to take away momentum but looking at what I’m seeing online his fanbase is still pretty strong.

I haven't been keeping up with WWE TV so when I saw LA Knight on Crown Jewel I thought

"How did he get a WWE Championship match!?" .:zipp-wut:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I haven't been keeping up with WWE TV so when I saw LA Knight on Crown Jewel I thought

"How did he get a WWE Championship match!?" .:zipp-wut:

Yeah I also felt like it happened pretty quickly. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Clawdeen said:

Yeah I also felt like it happened pretty quickly. 

I'm also not a fan of LA Knight AT ALL so as much as I dislike Roman Reigns LOOONG Championship reign I am/was rooting for Roman to win. :dry:

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I'm also not a fan of LA Knight AT ALL so as much as I dislike Roman Reigns LOOONG Championship reign I am/was rooting for Roman to win. :dry:

Yeah Im not really a fan of LA Knight either so I was also rooting for Roman. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Clawdeen said:

Yeah Im not really a fan of LA Knight either so I was also rooting for Roman. 

Before I forget...Congratulations, Logan Paul! You're officially Triple H's new Shane McMahon. :laugh:

• Delighted Giggle 1

On 2023-11-03 at 8:35 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

So if you haven't heard, SD is now leaving Fox. The $1 billion, four year deal is now up. After all that, Fox is not interested cause they actually lost money on that investment. Despite WWE making more money than ever, partially through Fox dolling out $200 million a year, Fox only got a return of a little over half that.

Why? 

Because wrestling fans don't buy s:eww:t. 

All of that advertising and fans haven't taken the bait. There's been so little crossover between fans and other pop culture and entertainment mediums. Wrestling fans just largely stay to their own niche circles. Wrestling fans also lack disposable income, with most U.S. fans being: 

1. Working class Hispanic families
  2. 12 and under
  3. 50 and older
  4. Guys

That last one is also notable. Since even if a guy does buy something that's advertised, it'll be that thing and nothing else, where as women will buy other stuff from that brand. 

Advertisers also don't hide their disdain for wrestling fans. The stigma of gullible marks and carny BS hasn't changed in forty years. Even at the cultural apex of the Monday Night Wars, advertisers were even more repulsed. What made wrestling cool back then, made it repulsive to the mainstream. Wrestling's rise was less mainstream acceptance and more counter culture spotlight. Like heavy metal in the '80s. It pissed off the establishments, thus it was cool to Gen X. WWE marked heavily to those teens and college kids. Skittles, Hot Pockets, Stacker2 and Castrol Oil aren't exactly barking up the tree of established adults. It worked int hat those teens are still watching. But no new ones have jumped on board and may have been repelled by WWE's family friendlier approach in '08. Not that WWE have even bothered to figure out what attracts 18-49 and women to wrestling. 

Wrestling has been quite the anomaly. Reviled by the mainstream. Possess a fiercely loyal, long haul fan base that delivers consistent ratings on an endless factory of weekly content for a relatively low budget. But that fan base is a conundrum to advertisers. Too fake for sports. Too physical for theater. Too rough to stand with polished soap operas. Too far at the mercy of a live crowd to be serious drama. It's successful in spite of everything else. 

But AEW may have cracked the code. Early on, AEW partnered with the CEO gaming expo. And there was a lot of crossover there, between wrestling fans and gamers. I've also noticed in the con spaces that there's many wrestling fans among the crowds. From Anime Central to BronyCon to AnthroCon. Among the otaku and comic nerds and gamers and furries, there were wrestling fans. Despite being the antithesis of typical nerd culture, professional wrestling may belong in that sphere. Unintentionally, having Big Ban Theory and Young Sheldon be the lead ins to AEW may have been a stroke of genius. 

TL:DR- Wrestling fans are very frugal. Common advertising is unappealing. Advertisers do not get them or even care to. Marketing to fans not as a bunch of dude bro jocks, gullible kids or stubborn old folks, and instead as a bunch of nerds would net more profits for advertisers. 

Market to Brony wrestling fans. :devious: It seems like a lot of Bronies buy anything with MLP on it. :pinkie:

• Party! 1

On 2023-11-07 at 3:29 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

Hey.

Did you know that Randy Orton actually inhered the RKO? 

Randy Orton Inherited the RKO from Cowboy Bob Orton and improved on Diamond Dallas Page's version. *Legend Killer pose* :proud:

• Party! 1

10 hours ago, Denim&Venöm said:

Chris Jericho just made his debut for DDT

Chris Jericho will wrestle "forever" just like Dustin Rhodes. (I know Dustin is either retired or planning to retire but you know what I mean.)

Edited by Sparklefan1234