Can somepony explain to me who the smooze character is?

CaptainDoubloon

I've been new to the fandom of MLP: FiM since November 2014 and I've never seen any of the other generations of MLP. I know some fans are excited to see the return of the smooze but I have no idea who this is. What kind of character is the smooze?

Based on what I've seen so far though it looks like the G1 Smooze was better...That's a bit disappointing...But at least they didn't ruin Tirek. I have faith in what they'll do with Grogar if they decide to give him a G4 remake.

I don't mind the change in what the Smooze is. Smooze wasn't exactly a character, more like a pseudo-sapient natural disaster. What they seem to be doing with him is silly fun, so I'm not bothered by it.

It'd be amusing if they gave G4 Smooze a similar voice to what we hear from him in that song, lol.

Based on what I've seen so far though it looks like the G1 Smooze was better...That's a bit disappointing...

We've only seen the animatic so far, wait the actual episode! :o

Maybe he'll look awesome.

We've only seen the animatic so far, wait the actual episode! :o

Maybe he'll look awesome.

If what I saw was correct now he just looks like Muk from Pokemon instead of a Muk on steroids...

I'm a Brony from G1, grew up with the orginals including MLP: Attack of the Smooze.

I was surprised they'd bring back such a character since this 'villian' I always viewed as a creature created by the three witches Hydiea, Draggle and Reeka. It had some intellegence, not a whole lot to base it as a character. It simply went all over the pony lands, consuming it in smooze where it went. if you got the smooze on you, it would effect you as well. You'd no longer be happy or spirtful. It took away your light, leaving you with grumpiness or despair.

That said I'm curious what sort of updates they are gonna do for smoozy. Again he was a single minded intellgence, so it appears he's gonna have more then that. Is he gonna spread his yuck all over Equestria? Is he still gonna remain purple? Is he gonna be smarter then previously? Are his intents evil? So many questions here... can only wait and see. Honestly again I grew up with the G1 movies, I look back on them now and find them horribly outdated but still entertaining. But I still hope for an upgrade I can relate to with the smooze like they did with Tirek.

Based on what I've seen so far though it looks like the G1 Smooze was better...That's a bit disappointing...But at least they didn't ruin Tirek. I have faith in what they'll do with Grogar if they decide to give him a G4 remake.

Well, Tirek was the villain of a season finale, while the Smooze won't be, so, don't expect it to be a life-threatening menace

In G1, the Smooze was a purple creature from My Little Pony: The Movie. Two of the witches from the Volcano of Gloom, Reeka and Draggle, awaken? him with a lot of ingredients. The Smooze is defeated once because those two forgot the Flume. Hydia, the third witch, is very angry and tells them to get it. After they do get it, the Smooze is seemingly unstoppable. That is until the Flutter ponies defeat it. Anyone it touches becomes grumpy. (Except Spike apparently considering he was still hopeful after some Smooze got on his tail.) 

I always thought The Smooze was based on the classic 1950s Sci Fi movie The Blob.  But, if they stick to canon, the Smooze is going to be tough to beat because there are no Flutter Ponies.  (Unless Hasbro is planning to reintroduce them?  The horror, the horror!).  There is a very good story called History Repeats by SaddleSoapOpera where Luna brings back Megan (older & suffering PTSD) to help them fight the new & improved Smooze.