Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Friendship Losing its Magic?

Dsanders

I'm seeing some interesting posts. I especially like the ones about technology allowing us to befriend and connect with more people from around the world. But this also brings up some concerns. While technology has evidently allowed us to connect with many people from around the world, wouldn't you also agree that it can hinder one from forming good quality friendships with those physically around him or her? I mean, every day when I go to college I see a plenitude of people hooked on their smartphones which can make it difficult for others to form potential friendships with them. It just seems like they're already busy texting their own friends. And much of our younger generation, from what I have personally observed, is too absorbed in social media and silly apps to give a rat's ass about making new friends. This clearly doesn't apply to all smartphone users but in my experience, there are many people who are too distracted by their mobile devices these days to be able to form meaningful and tangible friendships.

I agree with this.  I think it is harder to form friendships these days because of all of the social media and access to information and interesting things online, you have to be a lot more interesting these days for people to give you the time to be your friend.  And online friendships are so fragile, so I don't think that they could be considered solide relationships. 

I'd say it's a lot more easier today to make new friends than it has ever been, mainly because of the social media/networks like Facebook for instance. But like @@SCS said, it's all about how you utilize it.

Friendships can form from the slightest of things, but they usually happen with a smile & a handshake.

Edited by Guest