Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc [CLOSED] Whisper: The City of Darkness (Exploration, Horror, Action/Adventure)

Once In A Blue Moon

I am quite confused as to what's going on at the moment. Are we fighting now?

Yes. Wilhelm cut a hole in the anti-blast gauze on the crystal, creating what is effectively a shaped charge, and it was being moved into position when the large pegasus-mutants broke in - one through the ceiling, one through the door. There is another one outside the door. Sharp and Wilhelm are facing down the ones at the door, and the one that came through the roof appears to be focusing on Lavender, so Scarlett can still focus on blowing an exit through a wall with the crystal.

Yes. Wilhelm cut a hole in the anti-blast gauze on the crystal, creating what is effectively a shaped charge, and it was being moved into position when the large pegasus-mutants broke in - one through the ceiling, one through the door. There is another one outside the door. Sharp and Wilhelm are facing down the ones at the door, and the one that came through the roof appears to be focusing on Lavender, so Scarlett can still focus on blowing an exit through a wall with the crystal.

You mean

Scarlett's gets to blow stuff up

:D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The next post will be on Friday, or possibly on Sunday. And here's a new map, complete with the current location of each character (explosions are handy like that.)

post-34886-0-87563200-1463618074_thumb.png 

Oh, and I should probably say that the ceiling falling on a character isn't too big a deal - the ceiling is thin and insubstantial to minimise the destruction caused by an  explosion such as the one that just happened.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

I have a feeling I did a bad. I am not sure what the nature of this bad may be, though.

Did I accidentally kill off Wilhelm?

Was I unnecessarily dramatic or melodramatic?

I suppose my question really boils down to "does my post make any sense?" I think so, because without those books, we would lose an unforgivable amount of time. But then again, maybe we wouldn't have, or maybe with Wilhelm inoperable for the duration of the airship trip back to Canterlot we'd lose more time than we gained, and...

Ugh. Participating in this RP can be agonizing sometimes.

I have a feeling I did a bad. I am not sure what the nature of this bad may be, though. Did I accidentally kill off Wilhelm? Was I unnecessarily dramatic or melodramatic?

Magic and potions can solve most things, or at least mitigate some of the effects. My philosophy is to inflict debilitating but not lethal or incapacitating damage on player characters or to kill off appropriate redshirts / minor characters when something harmful happens (such as explosions, fights, crashes etc.) 

I suppose my question really boils down to "does my post make any sense?" I think so, because without those books, we would lose an unforgivable amount of time. But then again, maybe we wouldn't have, or maybe with Wilhelm inoperable for the duration of the airship trip back to Canterlot we'd lose more time than we gained, and...

The crystal research notes (along with assorted other odds and ends) taken from Twilight's office were the bare minimum necessary to improve the catalyst weapon enough that it could avoid destroying Canterlot. The demonology stuff might allow for more specific targeting, and if Twilight Sparkle can be found then other options might present themselves.

If at the end of the RP the invading army of demons having been destroyed is what your character has defined as their 'success state' then the catalyst weapon alone was sufficient. If you character has greater ambitions such as avoiding any civilian casualties (not blowing up Canterlot, for example) or trying to help the mutation-afflicted ponies then there may be more required, both now and during the final climactic battle.

Ugh. Participating in this RP can be agonizing sometimes.

Should I be worried or happy about this? RPGs are supposed to have elements of a challenge to them (although the amount varies), and I have taken this mentality over to RPs - indeed, this RP has an 'implied failure state' (demons overrun the world) and challenges to overcome in order to avoid it. More ambitious goals require greater challenges be faced - I have a few notes prepared just in case someone wants their character to replace the King and become Equestria's new dictator, but it will most assuredly not be easy to accomplish. In a sense this is, therefore, a text-based RPG (role-playing game) rather than an RP. 

Magic and potions can solve most things, or at least mitigate some of the effects. My philosophy is to inflict debilitating but not lethal or incapacitating damage on player characters or to kill off appropriate redshirts / minor characters when something harmful happens (such as explosions, fights, crashes etc.) 

The crystal research notes (along with assorted other odds and ends) taken from Twilight's office were the bare minimum necessary to improve the catalyst weapon enough that it could avoid destroying Canterlot. The demonology stuff might allow for more specific targeting, and if Twilight Sparkle can be found then other options might present themselves.

If at the end of the RP the invading army of demons having been destroyed is what your character has defined as their 'success state' then the catalyst weapon alone was sufficient. If you character has greater ambitions such as avoiding any civilian casualties (not blowing up Canterlot, for example) or trying to help the mutation-afflicted ponies then there may be more required, both now and during the final climactic battle.

Should I be worried or happy about this? RPGs are supposed to have elements of a challenge to them (although the amount varies), and I have taken this mentality over to RPs - indeed, this RP has an 'implied failure state' (demons overrun the world) and challenges to overcome in order to avoid it. More ambitious goals require greater challenges be faced - I have a few notes prepared just in case someone wants their character to replace the King and become Equestria's new dictator, but it will most assuredly not be easy to accomplish. In a sense this is, therefore, a text-based RPG (role-playing game) rather than an RP.

You should be happy, as should the good Magos. I haven't second-guessed myself this much since the ending of Fallout 3 or when I had to make the final decision on the Cheesemaker storyline in Fallen London.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You should be happy, as should the good Magos.

Excellent.

the final decision on the Cheesemaker storyline in Fallen London

Oh yes, I remember that one.

I'm loyal to the Masters of London, Alice. Not to you. Certain anarchists and members of the university also learnt this the hard way as they paved the way to my Spire Emporium...

Excellent.

Oh yes, I remember that one.

I'm loyal to the Masters of London, Alice. Not to you. Certain anarchists and members of the university also learnt this the hard way as they paved the way to my Spire Emporium...

In my section of the multiverse, she's a nun. I mean, I definitely could have gone for that +1 Connected: The Masters CP, but...Then again, you're probably the kind of person who chose to condemn the Consumptive Cryptozoologist, aren't you? :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm afraid that due to various distractions (all of my own making, I confess) I haven't been able to assemble a proper post for today - sorry. As such, the next post will be on Friday.

Looking beyond that, posting may become a little inconsistent next (well, continue to be inconsistent I suppose) owing to minor real life stuff. I will try and keep to schedule, which will remain unchanged, regardless.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The next posts are should be on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday as usual (with the previously mentioned caveat.) 

This is the piece of paper that Bramble asked for opinions on:

post-34886-0-31569600-1464393955_thumb.png

N.B. The particularly observant of you might notice that the png file is called 'Whisper timeline lesser.png' - I can confirm that there is more to be found relating to this. 

• Brohoof 1

I took a guess at the nature of the Whisper you and the Magos keep hinting at in my post.

If I'm off the mark, I'll just chalk it down to being part of Wilhelm's delusions and nightmares.

(Also, "reify" is a cool word. You should look it up if you don't know it already.)

• Brohoof 1

You want foreshadowing and non-specific imagery? Well, you have it in abundance in that last post. Rather than go through the transition I thought that I would just skip ahead via the 'dream and wake up' cliche. Do feel free to fill in the gaps, if anyone wishes to.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You want foreshadowing and non-specific imagery? Well, you have it in abundance in that last post. Rather than go through the transition I thought that I would just skip ahead via the 'dream and wake up' cliche. Do feel free to fill in the gaps, if anyone wishes to.

Nightmares has risen to 8: Raving

Wilhelm has moved to a new area: A state of some confusion

Zayoh has used Health Potion

Wilhelm has moved to a new area: the Scion Tempestatis

The quality: A Recurring Dream: The Saddle Arabian Civil War has dropped to 1

The quality: A Recurring Dream: The Pits of Tartarus has dropped to 6

The quality: A Recurring Dream: Filial Bonds has dropped to 5

But more seriously, I see what you're getting at here.

"one moment a pegasus with withered wings walked through the battle, the enemy falling around him with a mere gesture of the spindly remains of his wings,"

"A jet-black pegasus flew over the battlefield, drinking in the death and destruction below,"

This all points to Ponified Death. Or, perhaps, a pony with the power of Death.

"then it was Zayoh, looking up calmly into a bolt of magical energy that evaporated in front of his face. Lavender and Discord danced through the carnage, each indistinguishable from the other as reality buckled around them."

"A unicorn blinked around the battlefield, always on the move, Bramble darting too and fro, carrying messages for the generals and a knife for his foes."

And this points to the Final Big Battle involving our little group of heroes becoming true manifestations of the Tarot. Zayoh nullifying all magic, Lavender becoming a second Chaos avatar, Bramble becoming the icon of the Hermit -- always in constant motion...

The big question is what'll happen to those whose ascendant qualities haven't been explicitly mentioned, like... basically everyone except for the above.

"Looking back up at the sky, the stars were fading from view, but the great constellation of Astra was still visible in the dawn sky. Crystal Spark's horn glowed, and reality seemed to split in two. In one, Crystal Spark seemed to shimmer, becoming almost ethereal. Ascending, she took her place by Astra, and the constellations welcomed her as their own. In the other Astra was torn from the sky, drawn into Crystal's horn, followed by the entire night sky. The eternal stars became nothing but a glint in Crystal's eyes - eyes that looked straight at Wilhelm."

And this all points to i) Crystal Spark literally holding the nature of reality in her hooves and ii) Wilhelm somehow being important to that particular thing.

The interesting thing is the implication that the constellations -- and the alicorn Astra -- exist no matter time. And if Crystal ends up destroying the sky -- and Astra -- then she destroys everything.

Edited by Orion Caelum

Lavender blinked and turned her head to face Lightwing. "Last I checked. I could very well be somepony completely different right now."

I'm afraid the budget won't stretch far enough for John de Lancie.

Wilhelm has moved to a new area: A state of some confusion

Think of it more as Galadriel's Mirror Marches. That which was, that which is, that which has not yet come to pass... and that which you really do not wish to meet. When future timelines are reified in one's own mind... Cthulhu fhtagn. From those final two futures, gain one tale of terror and one memory of light. I also apologise to all that are force to put up with these in-jokes, although I justify them as the source of them was one of the sources of inspiration for the RP. Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time are also inspirations that I feel I should acknowledge. 

Now, below are some spoilers for everyone. These are not recommended unless you value knowledge more than mystery - if at the end of the RP things still don't make sense (which they might not - the answers exist, but they aren't necessary to the 'success' of the RP. I also doubt my explanation will be as satisfying as the mystery) then they might offer more insights.

A few corrections / comments that might be relevant to avoid confusion - don't feel bad about reading these two, but it could be interesting if some don't:

"one moment a pegasus with withered wings walked through the battle, the enemy falling around him with a mere gesture of the spindly remains of his wings," "A jet-black pegasus flew over the battlefield, drinking in the death and destruction below," This all points to Ponified Death. Or, perhaps, a pony with the power of Death.

The pegasus with withered wings is actually the hermit, as they switched places with Zayoh, but you are correct about the the one that flew over the battlefield and was a past / future of Scarlett's tarot (death.)

"then it was Zayoh, looking up calmly into a bolt of magical energy that evaporated in front of his face. Lavender and Discord danced through the carnage, each indistinguishable from the other as reality buckled around them." "A unicorn blinked around the battlefield, always on the move, Bramble darting too and fro, carrying messages for the generals and a knife for his foes." And this points to the Final Big Battle involving our little group of heroes becoming true manifestations of the Tarot. Zayoh nullifying all magic, Lavender becoming a second Chaos avatar, Bramble becoming the icon of the Hermit -- always in constant motion... The big question is what'll happen to those whose ascendant qualities haven't been explicitly mentioned, like... basically everyone except for the above.

I mentioned all the (active) player characters. Bramble is the chariot (speed), Wilhelm is the magician (magic) although he didn't see himself, Lavender you got the general idea of but I will avoid commenting too much on, Scarlett is death (drawing power from death), Zayoh is the hermit (magical dead zone.)

These ones are more mythology focused, and although they tie in to the RP knowing them may affect the mystery in a positive or a negative way. Your call:

The interesting thing is the implication that the constellations -- and the alicorn Astra -- exist no matter time. And if Crystal ends up destroying the sky -- and Astra -- then she destroys everything.

Sort of. The stars are unchanging throughout this cycle of chaos and order. Changing the stars may break the cycle.

ii) Wilhelm somehow being important to that particular thing.

A reflection of a future... except it won't be just the future if it comes to pass. If a future that might be affects the past, and has been given form in your mind, might its possibly-omnipotent ruler become aware of you? What power might they have over your mind?  Like I said, there are some things you don't want to meet.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm afraid the budget won't stretch far enough for John de Lancie.

What kind of cut-rate production is this?!  :angry:

I'll be in my trailer. :dry:

Edited by Unicorncob
  • Brohoof 2

@@Ethan Sawyer,@@Orion Caelum@@Unicorncob@@Chip Circuit@@ForthEorl.

Normal services will resume on Sunday - so I should have more time to go through each characters OOC stuff, ensure that there are options for them to engage in a scene, things like that. How busy 'normal' is going to be remains to be seen, but for now I will continue to commit to my current schedule - Sunday, (Monday / Tuesday), Wednesday, Friday, repeat. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, that escalated quickly.

One moment there's two measly pegasus mutants blocking the way, next thing you know the fabric of the universe is tearing itself apart.

I do have to say it...

How can this get any worse?

• Brohoof 1

Well, that escalated quickly.

You can blame Lavender for that. The voice in her head did warn her. There's also that you managed to kill the three mutants that it attacked with last time, so this time it brought more of them - it's afraid. 

How can this get any worse?

The other two show up? 

This particular one is focused on the destructive side of chaos, another was intorduced in Ponyville that seemed almost playful and the third has not played a major role yet. Those are the three 'bishops,' the 'queen' is a giant monster and the 'king' is not on the board yet. The King claimed that killing the three 'bishops' would drive the 'king' onto the board, where he could then kill it.

• Brohoof 1

I'm worried that I've lost people's interest here, given the number and distribution of posts. What I had intended was a (small or climactic) battle before reaching Twilight Sparkle's laboratory in the Everfree (size depending on whether Lavender provoked the alicorn-demon) but I am concerned that the way I present and run the battle sequences isn't very good. Or, at least, has not been engaging to all the players (which is what I aim for.)

There was a contingency plan, had the battle gone very badly, that would have accelerated the plot forwards (although also having negative effects) which I could adjust to kick in immediately, ending the battle and moving the story along. Likewise, I could change future scenarios to have less / no combat, focusing on the narrative and decision making to carry the RP (at the moment I try to balance the three.)

Your thoughts on the matter would be most useful - I am willing to change practically any technical aspect of the RP if it makes it more engaging for the players.

I'm worried that I've lost people's interest here, given the number and distribution of posts. What I had intended was a (small or climactic) battle before reaching Twilight Sparkle's laboratory in the Everfree (size depending on whether Lavender provoked the alicorn-demon) but I am concerned that the way I present and run the battle sequences isn't very good. Or, at least, has not been engaging to all the players (which is what I aim for.)

There was a contingency plan, had the battle gone very badly, that would have accelerated the plot forwards (although also having negative effects) which I could adjust to kick in immediately, ending the battle and moving the story along. Likewise, I could change future scenarios to have less / no combat, focusing on the narrative and decision making to carry the RP (at the moment I try to balance the three.)

Your thoughts on the matter would be most useful - I am willing to change practically any technical aspect of the RP if it makes it more engaging for the players.

This is the exam period, and also the end of the educational year. A few people, myself included, are just really busy. Plus, for some reason the forum isn't giving me any notifications.