Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Portal to Equestria?

North

So, I've been thinking...

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS, DON'T MAKE LEMONADE! MAKE LIFE TAKE THE LEMONS BACK!

Silly, that's a different kind of 'Portal!'  :lol:

Anyways, I've had this belief that, somewhere on this Earth of ours, there is a magical portal to Equestria. 

Go ahead and make fun of me, but I think it can be totally true.

I have a theory that there are an infinite number of alternate/separate universes out there in the, well, universe. 

For example, make up an alternate universe in your head right now.

Boom.

If you thought of a world made out of cotton candy (like I did), there probably is one in the Infinite Universe theory.

Cutting to the chase, I think that there is a portal to an alternate universe of Equestria (everything canon!) somewhere, and somehow on Earth.

Hell, it could be the size of an atom on a sidewalk in Manhattan, and nobody would notice it in ten billion years.

Or it could be, like, in a volcano, or something. Yeaaaaah.

Call me crazy, if you'd like, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this theory.

Discussion down below!  :love: 

~From the crazy mind of North, who should be studying right now

This post was a result of staying up late, so I probably am crazy right now! #zeromelatoninproduction

• Brohoof 4

Yeah there could totally be a portal... Hmm... What if the Bermuda Triangle was like a bus station but instead of buses it was actually portals to alternate realities. It very well could be with all of the disappearances there.

The last time i made a portal jokes, the Ninja-mods attacked me.

But besides that...

We might don't have a portal, but we are be able to learn to draw one.

To write one, to compose one, to animate one.

And every single soul of the fandom can be a part of a guard, who keeps that fantastic portals alive, and open.

With critiques, honor, respect, and such.

We might have found this spark, that finally bring all of us together again, friendship.

*Mega Grouphug incoming*

• Brohoof 3

I do believe somewhere there are wormholes for every alternate universe and every time we create our own universe in our minds like dreaming or just thinking, it creates an alternate universe. If that were true then MLP is a part of the creator's mind and would be out there somewhere. But I doubt on Earth.

1. Assuming the Multiverse exists, then a potentially infinite set of universes with equally potentially infinite variations on their characteristics

2. If there is such an enormous variation on those characteristics, one of these universes could have characteristics extremely similar to our own plus a set of characteristics which makes it resemble characters and locations as described in out fiction, in their present concrete reality.

3. If (1) is true, then the probability of (2) also being true approaches 100%.

This is what I call the "Fiction-Reality Interpretation" of the Multiverse Theory (M-Theory). It's not a new postulate, it's been around nearly as long as M-Theory itself. If it seems to general, that's because I made a logical generalization out of your hopes for "an alternate universe"; the same could be true of My Little Pony, Star Wars, DragonTales, Bionicle, Doctor Who or the Legend of Zelda.

BUT the description of (2) is also ignoring the fact that for every single instance of a universe coinciding with fictional descriptions that appear in our universe, there would also have spawned billions upon trillions upon quadrillions of other universes which simply didn't have the proper fundamental physical properties and came out as basically "waste" universes with an ineffective fart serving as a Big Bang, promptly evaporating into heat death. Just like how billions of species died off to produce the modern Earth biosphere, 10100^1000's of universes would come into existence and then vanish again before (whatever generates universes) would ever cause the idealized "My Little Pony" universe, or "Lego" universe.

But the big damning characteristic of M-Theory is that one of its central tenants in the hard physics of the matter is that the vast majority if not all of these alternative universes are unobservable, and that information and matter cannot be transmuted between them (as far as anyone's been able to figure out, for the past thirty years).

Wormholes and Black Holes would not connect to these other universes because they only interact with spacetime within our present universe. It would be easier to argue that Wormholes connect two locations in physical space where "Ponies" as we imagine them exist as a sentient species located on a distant planet or within a distant galaxy. While this is a much more effective theory than begging your headcanon through advanced theoretical physics, it's still a pretty remote hope.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

But the big damning characteristic of M-Theory is that one of its central tenants in the hard physics of the matter is that the vast majority if not all of these alternative universes are unobservable, and that information and matter cannot be transmuted between them (as far as anyone's been able to figure out, for the past thirty years).

This is the key contradiction in the multiverse theory.

If there is a parallel universe to ours, it cannot interact with our universe in any way, because if it were, it couldn't be considered parallel. But if it doesn't interact with our universe, it is not a part of it, so it doesn't really matter to us if it exists or not. It can as well be non-existent, that is, there is no such thing as parallel universe as we're concerned.

Opening a portal to a parallel universe makes it no longer parallel, because it is a form of physical interaction between these two.

So either a physical interaction between parallel universes is impossible, or there's no such thing as parallel universes. It's either one or another. Or to put it differently: If there is such thing as a parallel universe, there cannot be any physical interaction between them (no portals allowed), otherwise they cannot be considered parallel.

It's kinda similar to the paradox of the existence of meta-physical reality (you know, ghosts, telepathy & stuff like that). Physics is basically a science for describing all there is, so if something is out there, it can be described by physics ultimately (even if it is not explainable yet). So there is no such thing as meta-physics. If it were, it would be something which doesn't exist anyway, because it would be something which cannot be described with physics, and physics describes everything there is. So if there is something which cannot be explained by physics as of yet, simply call it "unexplained yet" and not meta-physics.

Many multiverse theory believers say that everything is possible, because it can exist in at least one of all these possible universes. But this is also wrong, because it contradicts the very basics of logic. And don't even tell me that there could be a different logic in a different universe. Why? Because logic is basically a way of reasoning what is possible and what isn't. It applies to the entire multiverse theory as a whole, so it is not limited to any particular universe. And regarding logic, not everything is possible.

For example, it is impossible to be all white and all black at the same time. One cannot be dead and alive at the same time. (That's also the simplest possible argument against that widespread bullshit called "Schrödinger's Cat", the most misunderstood thought experiment in quantum mechanics.) These features are mutually-exclusive: either one of them can exist or the other, but never both. So if one of them exists in a particular universe, the other one cannot exist in it.

So there are at least these things which cannot exist in any universe: those which are self-contradictory, or paradoxical. There cannot be paradoxes in Nature, because Nature is something which exist (that is, something which is true), and paradoxes cannot exist because of being self-contradictory.

So what we have so far?

* Not everything is possible: self-contradictory things are impossible either way.

* There are no parallel universes. Either they don't exist at all, or they're not entirely parallel (that is, the communication between them is already possible), which means they are already a part of our universe, just an undiscovered one.

So let's continue from that.

If there are some "undiscovered worlds" which are already a part of our universe, but they remain undiscovered, how can we discover them? What are our options?

* They could be located on another planets, even in remote galaxies far away.

* They could be hidden in different "planes" of our universe – pretty much existing in the same space, but at another frequency of vibration so that we don't see them or perceive at our own frequency, but we can perceive it by shifting our vibrational frequency somehow to a different plane, pretty much similar to how there could be several radio signals being transceived but only one of them is being heard by the radio receiver – the one which it is tuned to.

* A different scheme of perception. E.g. they can exist in a reality created by our minds. Pretty much how computer-generated virtual reality works. A computing machine does some physical work, transfers some electricity from here to there etc., and this is the physical level of existence, but the conceptual patterns made by those material signals can be interpreted as a description of some other reality, a software which runs on this hardware and is not material itself. It's a world of pure ideas. Similarly, the graphical image of a word "red" is not red itself, it's just a material representation of an immaterial idea of redness. The word is hardware, the redness is software.

For me, the best place to look for a portal to Equestria is the last one on the list above, because I already did it and it works.

Also, that's pretty much how Equestria was made in the first place. And I'm not talking about the internal perspective now (the one described in "Hearth's Warming Eve" episode of MLP:FiM), but the external perspective: how the writers imagined it in their heads and written down on paper, then DHX turned it into animation (which is another hardware representation of these ideas), and then we watched it and it made some physical changes in our brains so that we could imagine this world exactly as the original creators imagined it. This way, this virtual world has been created inside our collective mind, and we all keep its image in our heads, which makes this fantasy world exist.

If you think of it, even now you live in such a fantasy world, because what you see around you is not what is actually there. The physical world doesn't have any colors, sounds, smells etc. It is all a virtual world created inside your brain as in a theater, to match the sensory perception from the outside world. It's your personal illusion of that world, not the world itself. It's software. If you experiment with it a bit (e.g. lucid dreaming, astral projection, remote viewing etc.) you will notice that there's a clear distinction between physical reality and what you "see" in your head. But there is no distinction between the virtual reality based on physical world, and virtual reality based on a dream world. The core mechanism of perception in both is the same. That's why you can acquire pain in a dream, or feel things "material" in a dream when you touch them.

So the final answer is: YES, there IS a portal to Equestria, and it is located in your head. You can go there anytime you want, by using your imagination or learning how to dream consciously and control your dream world. That's how I do it and it works. It is not the same as going there with your material body, I know. But who said that it has to be? Your material body is just a device for perceiving the material part of the world. But your mind is the device for perceiving any other worlds you can think of. They're not parallel, because you can interact with them, get information from them etc. They're just different layers of reality you can tune in to. When you're awake, your mind is tuned in to the material world (but still perceiving it as a virtual projection inside your head, or "a dream about the material world"), but when your state of consciousness is altered, e.g. when you fall asleep or in a trance, your mind can tune in to different (non-material) realities and perceive them instead.

If you want to know more about that, Carlos Castaneda's books could be a good read for you. Especially "The Art of Dreaming".

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

There could be an alternante dimension, it's belived if a black hole was given a another way out it would make the trip less dealy which could make it so you could survive this, it would result in you being teliported to another dimension possible the pony worldwhiteholes-universe.jpg or something else?

It's kinda similar to the paradox of the existence of meta-physical reality (you know, ghosts, telepathy & stuff like that). Physics is basically a science for describing all there is, so if something is out there, it can be described by physics ultimately (even if it is not explainable yet). So there is no such thing as meta-physics. If it were, it would be something which doesn't exist anyway, because it would be something which cannot be described with physics, and physics describes everything there is. So if there is something which cannot be explained by physics as of yet, simply call it "unexplained yet" and not meta-physics.

I don't mean to be rude but you got a great deal of this patently incorrect.

Metaphysics is the primary stuff of Philosophy. Meta- does not refer to existence, it means "referring to itself". Metaphysics means you're considering abstract stuff, first principles that don't truly "exist" in reality because they're considered at a level "beyond" mere existence. Being, substance, time, cause, identity and property are things that are analyzed with metaphysics. One of the most famous questions in Philosophy, "what is the meaning of life?" is a derivative of the metaphysical question "what is meaning? what occurs when something "has meaning"?".

Physics is a branch of science concerned not with things that exist, but how things move and interact. (Existence is a separate branch of philosophy called Ontology, "the study of what is, and existence", not to be confused with Epistemology, "the study of knowledge and what we can know".) Ghosts and Telepathy would fall under the speculative concerns of Paranormal activity. Since there is extremely little that can be done in the way of empirical science regarding paranormal activity, it remains well outside the realm of physics.

For example, it is impossible to be all white and all black at the same time. One cannot be dead and alive at the same time. (That's also the simplest possible argument against that widespread bullshit called "Schrödinger's Cat", the most misunderstood thought experiment in quantum mechanics.) These features are mutually-exclusive: either one of them can exist or the other, but never both. So if one of them exists in a particular universe, the other one cannot exist in it.

You're mistaking the Schrödinger's Cat Paradox (a physics analogy) with Impossible Objects (a logical category). Other impossible objects include square circles, married bachelors, weights too heavy for an all-powerful being to lift, and skylight windows too strong for Batman to jump through.

Schrodinger's Cat is an analogy used to describe Quantuum Fluctuation, whereby subatomic particles can exist in multiple locations in spacetime, until they collapse into single locations by being observed (implying looking at things is actually a way of interacting with them). The Map-Is-Not-The-Territory breakdown of the analogy is similar to how Kinetic Theory does not describe that atoms are actually tiny balls moving around and colliding, but simply as a mental picture to demonstrate the sub-molecular interactions within matter.

The applicability of quantuum theory to M-theory however is negligible, since quantuum physics has little to do with cosmogeny, unless you're talking about Planck Time and the Big Bang. --Neither of which have anything to do with portals (whatever those are) or Equestria (a fictional place).

If you think of it, even now you live in such a fantasy world, because what you see around you is not what is actually there. The physical world doesn't have any colors, sounds, smells etc. It is all a virtual world created inside your brain as in a theater, to match the sensory perception from the outside world. It's your personal illusion of that world, not the world itself. It's software. If you experiment with it a bit (e.g. lucid dreaming, astral projection, remote viewing etc.) you will notice that there's a clear distinction between physical reality and what you "see" in your head. But there is no distinction between the virtual reality based on physical world, and virtual reality based on a dream world. The core mechanism of perception in both is the same. That's why you can acquire pain in a dream, or feel things "material" in a dream when you touch them.

This is a bit of a blend between Solipsism and Physicalism-- both of which are Philosophical ideas which not everyone believes.

Solipsism is latin for "My mind alone" and refers to the philosophical belief that one's own consciousness is the only thing that really exists. Other things like trees, birds, human beings, sensory experience and time are just things being fed to their consciousness by some unknown and unknowable source. It might very well be on this view that one could actually just be a brain in a jar being stimulated by a very powerful computer. The big shot to the foot of this idea is that everyone you ever meet will argue with the same strenuousness as yourself that their consciousnesses exist with the same level of reality as your own. It is extremely difficult to posit a reason why and how other apparently conscious beings would be lying about something like that. For that reason, Solipsism doesn't get very much traction in modern philosophy, though it makes its rounds in popular culture, like the "what is real" quotation by Morpheus in the movie The Matrix (1999). Solipsism was effectively defeated by Descartes in Discourse on the Method (1637) with his famous proposed thought "Cognito Ergo Sum": "I think, therefore I am".

Physicalism is not so easy to summarize because Physicalism vs. Substance Dualism is a hotly contested matter of Philosophy of Mind right now. In short, Phyiscalism says that 'the mind' or 'consiousness' is essentially an illusion caused by the signals inside human brains. Substance Dualism says that 'the mind' is a self-existing entity which might exist independently of matter-- thus one's mind might persist (somehow) even if the matter of one's body was destroyed. There's a great deal of pro-- and con-- to both views, but it should be sufficient to say no one is clearly right or wrong about the question.

So the final answer is: YES, there IS a portal to Equestria, and it is located in your head. You can go there anytime you want, by using your imagination or learning how to dream consciously and control your dream world. That's how I do it and it works.

In summary, the accuracy of your answer here is entirely dependent upon how "real" one ascribes the projections of their own imagination.

I personally am quite a fan of 'World as Myth' where there alternate universes corresponding to various fictional worlds.

I know it from Heinlein's Number of the Beast (great book!), where a group of people explore a few of these alternate realities (which exist on a different axis to the standard alternate realities, like a world without the letter J.

Assuming it is true, it does pose the question of do we truely create these stories and thus universes, or do the stories come from some sort of feedback from said universes?

Would it be nice to physically travel to these worlds? Yes, but we can't do so yet, and maybe never can.

• 5 years later...

What you are looking for would be the nexus a place between world or universes. Its sort of a crossroads with portals. There are places on this world where the veil is very thin and thus any kind of portal could in fact exist. Even if humanity doesn't believe it would exist. There are beings out there that if they came across humans they wouldn't give you the time of day.