Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How powerful is Sombra?

El Duderino

So, I was thinking about this because of another thread, but how powerful is Sombra? I don't think we actually get to see his full power in the show. He was stopped before he regained full strength, and he was still difficult to beat. How powerful do you think he actually is?

He's like every other villain he's as powerful as the plot demands!!!

No but seriously he's at least strong enough to curse an empire into nonexistent or whatever it was and the Royal Sisters couldn't do anything about it.

• Brohoof 1

He seems strong enough that he'd easily overpower the mane six, Cadence, and Shining Armor, seeing as how he can neutralize a pony's magic and defeating him hinged on getting the crystal heart. He lost to Celestia and Luna, but the exact details on how he was defeated are not shown in full.

Though in the comics, he explains that he was not as experienced with his power when he first fought Celestia and Luna, and in a rematch after his revival, he was able to easily turn the two into stone.

• Brohoof 1

So, I was thinking about this because of another thread, but how powerful is Sombra? I don't think we actually get to see his full power in the show. He was stopped before he regained full strength, and he was still difficult to beat. How powerful do you think he actually is?

If the comics were to be taken into account then  

He may be as strong as the mane 6 or Luna and Celestia combined,

During the mirror world arc, a comic series that features a world where the good and bad are reversed.

The good King Sombra took Celestia's place as ruler of Equestria,

His defensive magic could protect against evil celestia and

He also has the ability to wield all the elements of Harmony at once, 

If Sombra's "good" version is this powerful , it may be possible that the "evil" king sombra is just as strong.

Note:The Comics have to follow the show but the show does not necessarily have to follow the comics so the reliability of this is fuzzy.

post-35969-0-15060400-1446468185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vulcan
  • Brohoof 1

Well, he's not really a normal physical form is he? He's kinda like a ghost....thing...So I'm guessing he must be pretty powerful.

He got turned into shadow when he was defeated. So when he enslaved the Crystal Empire, he wasn't in a ghost-like shadow form.

• Brohoof 1

IMO, he's roughly equal to 2 Alicorns.

Dat Umbrum magic, tho.

He got turned into shadow when he was defeated. So when he enslaved the Crystal Empire, he wasn't in a ghost-like shadow form.

He can turn into that whenever he wants.

Celestia and Luna merely locked him in that form for a while, presumably for easier banishing.

Edited by A.V.

Disclaimer: I don't read the comics at all so I can't draw upon them to formulate a response.  My knowledge of King Sombra is limited to his portrayal in The Crystal Empire parts 1 & 2 and my response will reflect this.

I feel like King Sombra was already a powerful unicorn before he learned to wield alicorn magic.  After that he conquered the Crystal Empire, enslaved its population and then, in his defeat, banished it for a thousand years.  So I'd say he was pretty powerful; perhaps as strong (or stronger) than an alicorn.  

Honestly, considering he's a master at Dark Magic, he should basically be on par with the Princesses. Perhaps the only reason they could lock him away for a millenium was that there was two of them and one of him.

Without the elements of harmony Sombra would have annihilated both Celestia and Luna during their confrontation 1000 years ago. The comics revealed that he is part of a separate demon like race of ponies with the others sealed away, it makes me wonder what else they could be capable of.