Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Demographics In Equestria

4april

We are currently studying about population in Geography. So I decided to try to apply it to Equestria to see how its demography is, where it is on the Demographic Transition Model etc.

Firstly, Equestria seems to have low death rate and good healthcare. I would say this was not always the case considering there were a few disease outbreaks in the past like cutie pox.

post-35789-0-43449400-1446829393.jpg Disease are low relatively and Death rate appears to be low

However, it also does not seem to have a very high birth rate also. By some approximation, I would say that the fertility rate in Equestria is about 2.

post-35789-0-87704200-1446829415.jpg     Small family size and low birth rate.

Equestria also seems to have a young population with neither too many fillies/foals nor too many elders.

I would say Equestria is in stage 4 of the Demographic Transition Model and puts it alongside USA, Canada, Australia etc.

What do you think about demographics in Equestria? Because if there is one model which can show a societies progress, it is demographics and the DTM (everything from healthcare, gender equality, economic progress, education etc.)

• Brohoof 1

There are likely much much more males than the show would indicate, earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns are probably fairly even in population with concentrations of them being higher and lower in certain parts of Equestria though if any of them had a higher population than any other I would probably guess earth ponies due to many of them living a rural lifestyle and many living such a lifestyle tending to have a lot of babies. There are probably also many elder ponies as well as teenagers than the show indicates.

• Brohoof 1

I suggest that the population is stable because large numbers of ponies are asexual or having low libido. Having babies is more like a hobby. 

Edited by Osiria

I got nothing formal on demographics, but it does appear that Unicorns are more prevalent in Canterlot than anywhere else and are the lowest of the three tribes in terms of population. Earth Ponies  seem to spread out far and wide, IMO being the most populous of the three tribes.  Pegasus seem to have a high concentration in Cloudsdale (because they're the only ones that can live there) but do spread out, populating most cities and towns to a decent degree. 

• Brohoof 1