Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your demographic

Paianis

Which of these best describes you?  

82 users have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes you?

• Native to your country or nation (largest ethnic group)
    • Mixed race (depends on your parents origins)
    • Immigrant/non-native
    • Other indigenous

(edited)

"Native to your country or nation (largest ethnic group)"

Native Americans are far from the largest ethnic group in this country.

I know, that's what the 'other indigenous' is for.

Unfortunately the situation is different all over the world, so I have to choose the least worst compromise.

Edited by arrogantfeather
  • Brohoof 2

My fathers side of the family was pretty typical for the area he was brought up in (Chicago) Polish, French, Prussian, Jewish. My mother was from The Caribbean so, not exactly typical for my area.

Welp, I was born in the states, so that makes me a native of my own country (you don't sayyy?) ...And an American :derp:.

My parents were both born in Mexico, so I'm from Hispanic descent.

Edited by SparkWolf
  • Brohoof 1

Immigrated when I was young. So I filled out the immigrant thing

btw, noticed someone said "melting pot" but doesn't that mean loss of culture and formation of something unrecognisable rather than distinct and widespread multiculture?

(edited)

Yes, people in melting pots I would consider native and not mixed race or indigenous (except those who were there before the land became homogenous).

That's what I was referring to with 'multicultural societies' in my OP.

Edited by arrogantfeather

My parents are immigrants, but I was born in the US. I am going to consider myself native to the US even if I am not part of the largest ethnic group. Native Americans are native to the US, but if you consider White people to be native then you must also consider Black people to be native since they have been in the US as long as White people have. Hispanics were living in California when it was made a part of the US so they are also as native as Whites are.

Immigrated when I was young. So I filled out the immigrant thing

btw, noticed someone said "melting pot" but doesn't that mean loss of culture and formation of something unrecognisable rather than distinct and widespread multiculture?

If you don't like the changing demographics of melting pots such as the US, then you can always move to a monocultural country that is not a melting pot. 

My parents are immigrants, but I was born in the US. I am going to consider myself native to the US even if I am not part of the largest ethnic group. Native Americans are native to the US, but if you consider White people to be native then you must also consider Black people to be native since they have been in the US as long as White people have. Hispanics were living in California when it was made a part of the US so they are also as native as Whites are.

If you don't like the changing demographics of melting pots such as the US, then you can always move to a monocultural country that is not a melting pot. 

I'm confused, I think you misunderstood what I said. I'm not giving my opinion, I'm stating that a melting pot and a salad bowl are 2 different things and wanted to confirm which one people MEANT to say. A melting pot is more assimilation into 1 monocultural country, a salad bowl is I think what's intended when people talk about retaining their culture

I'm not saying I dislike anything, if you read my post again you can see I never really said anything on that. 

Edit: No country on the planet is fully monocultural, not even the Koreas, because there are different sub-groups within countries which act a little different, then there are immigrants and socio-cultural revolutions. From Great Britain to Japan you will find more than 1 culture in a country

Edited by ARagY

I really have no idea how to answer that poll. Puerto Ricans in America are an interesting case.

I'm about as assimilated to America as you can really get. I was born in New York and have never been to PR in my life, and I barely understand Spanish. I do get some exposure to PR culture but it's heavily outweighed by American culture, and my cultural expression is very American.

Puerto Rico has been a part of the United States since the Spanish-American War and are natural-born US citizens no matter whether they were born there or here on the US mainland. Their movement between communities on the mainland and Puerto Rico has been termed as "circular migration".

There's a unique term for New York City-born and raised Puerto Ricans called "Nuyorican". That and the Hispanic identity is the closest with which I can identify. Trace the Puerto Rican ethnicity back even further and you'll find that it is the result of interaction between the Spaniards, the native Tainos, and Africans. This pretty much goes for the majority of Hispanic identities. It seems to be the most susceptible to mixing because it was born from a mixing of European (particularly Spanish) and Native cultures.

In that case, I can't fully identify with any of the terms used here because of the uniqueness of the situation.

Edited by Nightwind Boreas

I'm confused, I think you misunderstood what I said. I'm not giving my opinion, I'm stating that a melting pot and a salad bowl are 2 different things and wanted to confirm which one people MEANT to say. A melting pot is more assimilation into 1 monocultural country, a salad bowl is I think what's intended when people talk about retaining their culture

A melting pot is not necessarily supposed to have a single dominant culture. Think of it as having various cultures mixing to form a common culture. An example of this could include the mixing of the English and Spanish language in the US (Spanglish) or various ethnic foods being incorporated into one's diet. Canada is an immigrant nation which focuses on the salad bowl model where there isn't a main culture to assimilate into. In both models, tolerance is supposed to be promoted. Both models overlap to an extent. The cultures of various ethnic groups have become part of the history of the US and Canada. I don't know as much about Canada as I do about the US, so maybe a Canadian can give you a better idea about Canada.

Edit: No country on the planet is fully monocultural, not even the Koreas, because there are different sub-groups within countries which act a little different, then there are immigrants and socio-cultural revolutions. From Great Britain to Japan you will find more than 1 culture in a country

That's true, and eventually cultures change over time as a result of migration or various other influences. British culture has been influenced by various groups such as the Romans, Vikings, Normans, and Saxons. It also has been influenced by former British colonies such as India, which is where the British learned about spices and tea. 

• 7 months later...

Well both of my parents are American and I was born here in America, so I'm a native to the U.S.

My ancestry may be Swedish, Danish, Polish, and Lithuanian, but that doesn't make me a non-American. If you were born in America, you're American even if your parents are from a different country. It puzzles me how people claim their Italian or something if their dad was born in Italy and the child was born in America.

I'd like to think I'm mixed, given I'm adopted and all. One of my parents must have had insane eyes, since mine are 3 different colors at once and change depending on the weather. But if I had to guess, I'd be Brazilian and Black

My family is kin to Daniel Boone, long down the family line. Descendants basically.

My mom's side of the family is part Italian, my Dad's side I believe is part Cherokee, and Viking. Yup. lol