Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your demographic

Paianis

Which of these best describes you?  

82 users have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes you?

• Native to your country or nation (largest ethnic group)
    • Mixed race (depends on your parents origins)
    • Immigrant/non-native
    • Other indigenous

I am curious as to where other bronies stand in the world apart from being fanatics about the MLP: FIM franchise. I understand that the reality is not quite so clear-cut, for example the White Australians (which, if you are one, I would consider you native as your nation has been there for hundreds of years). There are also multi-racial societies such as Canada, whose people I would consider native as they make up the vast majority of the non-First Nations population.

Everything else I can leave for you to decide. In my case I am mostly British but half of my mothers side is predominantly Finnish, so I would consider myself mixed race.

Edited by arrogantfeather
  • Brohoof 2

My father's family is Italian, and my mother's family is British.

I am also a mixed race. But I consider myself British primarily.

Edited by <?php
  • Brohoof 1

My opinion on that kind of thing is that everyone who is born in their country, regardless of race or family history, is native to it.  We should all stop getting nit-picky and harboring this stupid animosity towards each other for something that our ancestors may have done a few hundred years ago, or saying that some people don't belong here because their great, great, great, great, great grandpa came over from England.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

My opinion on that kind of thing is that everyone who is born in their country, regardless of race or family history, is native to it.

I'm afraid it is not that simple. Multiculturalism can be very damaging for a native population who have based their society around a given environment and have a strong set of core values that non-natives, whether they were born there or not, may not share. At the moment Europe is up in arms and several Nationalists parties are breaking huge ground in countries like Ukraine, Poland and Greece.

It is something to be concerned about whether you like it or not.

Edited by arrogantfeather
  • Brohoof 3

I am, for the most part, though in my area in Nebraska a lot of people tend to be 50 to 100  percent Czech, but other than that I fit in fairly well around where I live. (America is a melting pot)

Edited by 0blivion
  • Brohoof 1

I'm full-blooded German. Both of my parents came from a strong German background. I know my Dad's parents were from Germany and my Mom had grandparents from the Deutschland.  :D

• Brohoof 1

I don't really know what the heck I am, but I was born in America, and I've never traveled outside of America. Therefore, I consider myself an American. I'm a native American, but not necessarily a Native American, if you catch what I'm getting at.

I know my ancestors go all the way back to the old American colonies of Puritans and what-not, but that's only one line. My Dad's line might have come from Mexico—and then that raises the question, Native Mexican or Spanish conquistador? And then, there's also the possibility that he's instead black Irish...

Ancestry is complicated. But as an American, I acknowledge that it doesn't really matter. I don't really care about where I came from, because, to me, I am native. I was born here, so yeah whatever. Maybe generations ago, I'd have been British, Irish, Spanish, or something else, but to me, I'm American and it's all I've ever known.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

Israel is a country founded largely by immigrants. With the soviet union's collapse in '91, many Jewish families from Russia, Ukraine, and the rest of them finally were allowed in Israel, and were welcomed there with open arms. My family was no different, and were among the first to get here. Been living here ever since.

Something of a nonsensical question in my case. I currently live in America, but I was born in Canada on the other coast. My father was born in Northern England and immigrated to Canada as an adult, but his parents were Scottish. Specifically granddad was mostly of Pictish stock, which grandma was mostly of Nordic stock from the various Norse settlers from ages ago. Mum was born in London, England, (but immigrated to Canada when she was a kid, so Mum and Dad met in Canada) but her mother is Irish while her father was half Welsh, half German.

You go far enough back and the question goes all wonky for a lot of people.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not entirely certain what I am. I think mixed race would sum me up best. My mum is white, born in Zimbabwe, then lived in Malawe before moving to South Africa. Both of my grandparent's sides of the family are very English. My dad is what, in South Africa, would be called coloured. I know, the PC term is mixed race, but in SA you're likely to get a thorough bollocking for calling someone mixed race. My dad's dad is indian, and my dad's mum is coloured. That is two mixed race parents as opposed to one of each. My dad's dad's parents are Scotish and Indian, dad scotish and mum indian. My step mum is Brazillian and so are her kids, and we now live in Brazil