Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

the return of sombra

ThePonifiedDragon

I have some proof that sombra will come back, i know he wasn't the best villain but i feel like if they did bring him back he could be made a better villain. but here's my proof for him returning. at the final scene one of the main things separated from sombra was his horn, and earlier in the episode he lost his horn which started spreading dark crystals, allowing him to be more powerful when he could get in there; a back up plan to weaken the shield and the crystal ponies in case cadence didn't fail to keep it up. this may have allowed him to get inside. once their was enough dark crystal he probably could've used his dark magic to reform himself inside. now let's say that horn landed some where he could form crystal, eventually he could reform himself again and come back stronger and more powerful, and its been 3 seasons since his defeat.

What do and of you guys think will happen, do you think Sombra will come back???

This was my immediate thought upon seeing the horn as well. He could very well return, and I would love for that. He is a really interesting villain in concept, his execution just needs to be improved. I mean, a unicorn that is all powerful in dark magic? How is that not the most awesome thing ever?

I would appreciate an explanation on his persona. Where does he truly come from, why is he so anatomically dissimilar to other ponies, why is his horn the way it is, and overall if it was the usage of dark magic the reason ulterior to such transformations.

Hopefully they'll weave a return worthy of his apparent greatness, and will evade the simple 'bad guy came back without any reason whatsoever.'

Needless to say, there's a substantial backstory for Sombra in the Fiendship is Magic series, but I won't assume anything as canon until the show itself flings the hint.

They're not going to bring him back in show. They have little to no reason to do so as they very rarely reused past villains apart from flashbacks or a quick cameo (like the appearances of them briefly in the timelines of TCR) (every season has a new villain) and using him would outright contradict comic canon.

In order to reuse discord they had to outright reform him, which is more or less the primary reason they made the decision to do that, since having villains running around free and attacking constantly just doesn't match the general tone of the show's slice of life appeal.

Furthermore, they have VERY little reason to use sombra as he's by far on the lowest rung of the popularity totem pole for the villains; chrysalis, nightmare moon, tirek... pretty much all the other villains are more demanded by fans.

So pretty much one will have to make due with him in the comics, as that's where they seem to want to reuse old villains, while focusing on forever moving forward and making new villains for the show. But, as consolation, comic sombra's pretty good :P

medium.jpeg

• Brohoof 1

I agree that seeing his broken horn being thrown into the air after his defeat probably alludes to the fact that Sombra "could" still be alive but I doubt we'll be seeing him again in the future.  

The AU setting in the season 5 finale is probably as close as we'll get to the return of King Sombra.

He is my favorite villain besides Discord (which I don't really count as a villain anymore). I think he is one of the most powerful villains from the show because he wasn't even at full strength when they defeated him, yet he was still very difficult to stop. Imagine him at full power. I also like the resemblance to Sauron from Lord of the Rings.

I liked Sombra and Hope finally being reunited.

But other than that, yeah, I could see why more than a few people had issues with it.

I'll agree here. I always thought sombra was a pretty crappy villain since all he did was literally just stand there and look menacing. but I kind of liked him in the comics. He was obviously not really a hardcore villain given how reluctant he acted in the comics (Honestly, show sombra and comic sombra might as well be two completely different individuals XD) but he was far more interesting than Show sombra, especially with his relationship with hope.

i for one don't wish to see comic sombra retconned out of existence, since there's honestly so very little substance to show sombra. You want an evil overlord? make up a new villain, its not going to be hard to to sombra XD