Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted [Complete] TwilightAqua art

Jest (Inactive)

Hey again everyone! Just finished my second piece of art which is my first request from someone else on my free shop. Took a while to complete, but I put my head down and got it done, I am pleased with the result :D

No bases were used, it was from a blank canvas, I only looked at the reference image given. 

FujIE8u.jpg

(Original size 5000x5000)

Any critique is welcome as long as it's constructive and makes sense x) 

Edited by Jestwinged
  • Brohoof 10

@,

Personally I think the mane looks fine, though the tail looks a bit strange yeah.  I intend to just keep practising as I draw new pieces, I no longer want to use bases :D  Apart from the raised leg, which I have to get used to doing, the other legs look pretty decent in my opinion but thanks for the advice x)  

• Brohoof 2

It suuuuuuuucks!!!  :=: 

Just kidding. Looks nice overall. Apart from critique of Hisoka guy over here 
.                                                                                                                         |
.                                                                                                                         |
                                                                                                                         \ /

photo-35819.jpg?_r=1455955640

Horn seems like it should be a bit bigger, neck looks a bit long and eyes look a bit differently-shaped.

Edited by The Accursed Soul
  • Brohoof 2

@,

Personally I think the mane looks fine, though the tail looks a bit strange yeah.  I intend to just keep practising as I draw new pieces, I no longer want to use bases :D  Apart from the raised leg, which I have to get used to doing, the other legs look pretty decent in my opinion but thanks for the advice x)  

I was just about to say the same thing.

• Brohoof 1

CRITIQUE GRANTED

First laying my eyes on this artwork, I immediately thought of the ocean; the blue hues do an excellent job of conveying water-thoughts based on her.  Excellent job there!  Using colors to convey an idea is a wonderful tried-and-true method of psychological disposition, and you've done quite good at such.

Secondly, I noticed the form - very well executed, especially without a base to work from.  Her face is adorable, her body is sleek and pony-like, and her eyes are big and full of wonder; just the way I like my pones.  Bra-VO!

Now, if I had to point anything out, then I would agree with the others that her mane could be a bit more copious; but that is something that comes with time and experience - and regardless, it in no way detracts from the excellence of the artwork itself.  Perhaps you might want to study (check this out) comic books for more help there.  Keep an eye on how hair is handled in books like X-Men; take in the fullness and the small licks that stick up from the sides.  I'd suggest 90's comic artists like Jim Lee and 70's - 80's artists like Arthur Adams; between the two of those, you should be able to pick up a few pointers.

Other than that, your background is a bit minimal... but that's okay; the subject is well represented.  

Is that a towel for a cutie mark?  If so, that is adorable.

All in all, there is not a thing here to be ashamed of; your subject is clean and colorful, your presentation is solid, and your adept skill is apparent.  I applaud you for not only creating such art, but sharing it with everyone here in the Forums.

Two hooves up.   :D

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Wow that is pretty in depth and I was surprised about how positive it was :D This is my second ever picture using line art and it was part of a free request for someone on the forums x)  

Thank you for the awesome advice and the compliments I really appreciate it, constructive comments like this make me want to keep doing what I am doing :D  

• Brohoof 2

Well I apologize for the extremely late reply :lol: But I really like it! :yay: I wish I could help with critique but I'm not the best at that sort of thing :P Although I probably should've given you a better reference of her wave cutie mark :lol: As well as I should've given you a better reference of her tail since it's actually more wavy :P Anyways, thanks a bunch for doing this! :wub: Nice job! :yay:

• Brohoof 1

Well I apologize for the extremely late reply :lol: But I really like it! :yay: I wish I could help with critique but I'm not the best at that sort of thing :P Although I probably should've given you a better reference of her wave cutie mark :lol: As well as I should've given you a better reference of her tail since it's actually more wavy :P Anyways, thanks a bunch for doing this! :wub: Nice job! :yay:

Yeah the cutiemark confused me, I though it was a cloth x) Glad you like it! 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

The body looks amazing!! My only critique would be to add a little more depth to the hair! Since the body is so fabulous, extra work is needed in the mane and tail so that it doesn't look "lazy"... i'm not saying that it looks lazy, I'm just saying that you obviously have the potential, so put that same work into the mane and tail! Great job! Keep sharing!