Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could EQG work without magic being the source of the conflict?

Slashy

I mostly think of this based on an idea I had earlier when I was trying to think of an EQG story where the portal could not even be mentioned during the entirety of the story, but still being an exciting plot that works within the whole "fantastical forces hijack a teenagers event" formula.

CHSs standardized test scores are failing since the students seem more eager to party rather than to study. As a result Principal Celestia tries to order a special virtual game experience that will motivate the students in standardized test preparation. While the scores do improve, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie along with several other students in school seem to be behaving like drones focused only on studying and becoming more nerdy in demeanour, as a result a computer program has been writing itself into the students' minds forcing them to only want to study as it felt that anything else was worthless.

Our remaining cast must head into the virtual world to free their friends' minds and stop the computer program before it takes over the entire school.

I could see normal specials work without magic being needed(though I'd prefer Pinkie and Rainbow not be marginalized). Heck, most of FiMs best episodes usually don't involve some supernatural conflict and usually deals with smaller problems

Edited by Megas

I really don't know. The world of EQG is rather plain and boring and waaaaay too familiar. Without the use of magic, I don't know if the problems would be anything substantial. It would be either morals we have already seen in FiM or really cliched stuff, which I would take the first one over anything else.

I really don't know. The world of EQG is rather plain and boring and waaaaay too familiar. Without the use of magic, I don't know if the problems would be anything substantial. It would be either morals we have already seen in FiM or really cliched stuff, which I would take the first one over anything else.

I realize that and agree, with it being a huge reason why Friendship Games was so boring to me, but I'm not talking about mundane stories, I'm just talking about the fantastical elements not being magic related.

• Brohoof 1

Not for movies, no. The movies pretty much ONE HUNDRED PERCENT rely on magic to make them interesting; that's even the entire premise of the series so far is figuring out and controlling these new magical abiltiies. (And a major weakness too as they have no real point or premise/need for them to have magical powers like most magical girl series do).

Without the magical aspect you're left with a pretty boring world that's a blatant cardboard rip off of the normal pony world, with nothing to reccomend it besides "They're HOOMUNS now, just like you!". Additionally, they can't be horse eared/tailed/winged/whatever girls without magic since its a "normal" human world.

Now, were they to make a cartoon series with slice of life and stuff like that, yeah, they could and it'd be fine: have some little things now and then to explore how the various human characters are different from their pony counterparts, like Human LD or Human Gilda. But for movies and as a series as a whole? Heck no. It NEEDS magic.

(edited)

Not for movies, no. The movies pretty much ONE HUNDRED PERCENT rely on magic to make them interesting; that's even the entire premise of the series so far is figuring out and controlling these new magical abiltiies. (And a major weakness too as they have no real point or premise/need for them to have magical powers like most magical girl series do).

Without the magical aspect you're left with a pretty boring world that's a blatant cardboard rip off of the normal pony world, with nothing to reccomend it besides "They're HOOMUNS now, just like you!". Additionally, they can't be horse eared/tailed/winged/whatever girls without magic since its a "normal" human world.

Now, were they to make a cartoon series with slice of life and stuff like that, yeah, they could and it'd be fine: have some little things now and then to explore how the various human characters are different from their pony counterparts, like Human LD or Human Gilda. But for movies and as a series as a whole? Heck no. It NEEDS magic.

Did you even read the story I wrote? Because I am pretty sure you missed the ENTIRE POINT OF MY POST.

Okay people, in case you missed the point of my post because you didn't read it. I'm not saying there shouldn't be fantastical elements in the conflict, I'm saying they don't rely on magic to make it work.

A story about a self-aware AI that is designed to make CHS students obsessed with studying is NOT MUNDANE, that was what I was proposing as an example.

Edited by Slashy