Unredeemable Villains?

Moon Sugar

There are definitely some irredeemable villains and antagonists. Tirek is an obvious one. The Flim Flam Brothers are also irredeemable antagonists: their whole talent is scamming you. In the comics, there are quite a few, including Longhorn. Chrysalis in the comics is also irredeemable.

Not every antagonist or villain should be redeemed. Sombra from the show is a monster, but Siege of The Crystal Empire attempts to try to create a sympathetic character very poorly in a vain attempt to redeem him. His redemption there is a complete insult.

You're looking for an implication that doesn't exist. It legitimately makes sense to redeem Starlight. The trauma of being separated from her lone friend as a child led to her hatred of cutie marks and misguided philosophy of friendship. Twilight could tell she was hurting and needed help. She wouldn't offer Starlight the opportunity to give the true Magic of Friendship another chance without a reason, and she had a very valid one. Punishment won't work: All the hard-earned effort to gain Starlight's trust would be pointless. Teaching her the Magic of Friendship was the best and most proactive solution.

Starlight's redemption was insulting, she nearly ruined the future for everyone, even after seeing the disaster that it was, and was rewarded with friendship. What the heck about Trixie? Why did she need an apology tour for doing far less? Where was her friendship when she needed it? Complete BS.

(edited)
Starlight's redemption was insulting, she nearly ruined the future for everyone, even after seeing the disaster that it was, and was rewarded with friendship.

There was nothing insulting about rewarding someone who needed help friendship. Starlight was hurting and needed help. Punishment would've been the very worst thing for this show to do.

What the heck about Trixie? Why did she need an apology tour for doing far less?

She didn't need an apology tour. She chose to call it an apology tour because she felt she had to repair her rep and had every right to do it.

Moreover, NSP is absolutely terrible; it was a gigantic mess. Twilight had no reason to attempt to sabotage SG and Trixie's attempt of friendship, and there are serious suicide-related unfortunate implications in the climax.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

"Talent is a pursued interest." — Bob Ross

Pro-Brony articles: 1/2/3/4

There was nothing insulting about rewarding someone who needed help friendship. Starlight was hurting and needed help. Punishment would've been the very worst thing for this show to do.

She didn't need an apology tour. She chose to do one because she felt she had to repair her rep.

Besides, NSP is absolutely terrible; it was a gigantic mess. Twilight had no reason to attempt to sabotage SG and Trixie's attempt of friendship, and there are serious suicide-related unfortunate implications in the climax.

No, that's so wrong... The show just forgives Starlight, and makes Trixie's path to redemption hard. Starlight deserved punishment and no friends, just like Trixie but much worse. Instead she is forgiven, rewarded, and part of the main cast now. It's like they just forgot that she tried to ruin the world for her own selfish desires. This show has insulting double standards. 

(edited)
Starlight deserved punishment and no friends, just like Trixie but much worse. Instead she is forgiven, rewarded, and part of the main cast now.

Wrong. Starlight deserved friendship.

1. There was no way Twilight would be able to stop her without showing Starlight the damage she would've caused. There, Starlight showed her and the audience the pain she felt. Cutie marks were a trauma trigger, and she needed help. Twilight gave her an opportunity to start fresh and make amends. Punishment means Twilight goes back on her word. She's more forgiving than that.
  2. Trixie chose to not join the main cast, but Twilight and Trixie parted on cordial terms. I can understand Twilight not trusting them, but to try and ruin their attempt at friendship is way out of character of her.

Once more, Trixie called it her apology tour. She could've called it anything else, but ended up with this one 'cause she felt she had to do more, and it's very understandable. No one in Ponyville outside of the ReMane Seven knows of Starlight's lust for revenge because they don't know about it. To them, it never happened.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

"Talent is a pursued interest." — Bob Ross

Pro-Brony articles: 1/2/3/4

Wrong. Starlight deserved friendship.

1. There was no way Twilight would be able to stop her without showing Starlight the damage she would've caused. There, Starlight showed her and the audience the pain she felt. Cutie marks were a trauma trigger, and she needed help. Twilight gave her an opportunity to start fresh and make amends. Punishment means Twilight goes back on her word. She's more forgiving than that.
  2. Trixie chose to not join the main cast, but Twilight and Trixie parted on cordial terms. I can understand Twilight not trusting them, but to try and ruin their attempt at friendship is way out of character of her.

Once more, Trixie called it her apology tour. She could've called it anything else, but ended up with this one 'cause she felt she had to do more, and it's very understandable. No one in Ponyville outside of the ReMane Seven knows of Starlight's lust for revenge because they don't know about it. To them, it never happened.

1. Starlight still didn't care about the damage she caused. Everything she did was because of one incident where her friend got a cutie mark before her. When Trixie had no friends, nobody cared. Twilight is fully willing to forgive Starlight and even be her friend, but she doesn't give a crap about Trixie. Again, this show has double standards, and Twilight isn't a good princess of friendship. Starlight should have been crying and begging for forgiveness, and she should have been the one to go around and apologize to everyone. Then she can have friends. 

2. Okay, I can see how more people would know about Trixie and her mistake, but that doesn't change how I think Starlight should have been handled.

Starlight Glimmer got off way too easy

And redeeming Discord was a horrific waste of a potential overarching villain who sets tests against the ponies of Equestria

He'd have lived up to his De Lancie heritage 

• Brohoof 1

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

YouTube | FiMFic

Starlight Glimmer got off way too easy

And redeeming Discord was a horrific waste of a potential overarching villain who sets tests against the ponies of Equestria

He'd have lived up to his De Lancie heritage 

Redeeming both was wasted potential. Both were awesome villains.

• Brohoof 2

Dolemite2.gif.1f535b74ff05826ca7dd78c9e5ec1078.gif                                                                              

Redeeming both was wasted potential. Both were awesome villains.

Eh, Glimmer had everything going for her then they gave her a ridiculous excuse

"So your childhood crush got his mark and was whisked away by his parents and you vowed to never again let a Cutie Mark divide a group of ponies ever again?

...going by that logic, the CMC should've been the ones to redeem Glimmer, not Twilight and a musical number

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

YouTube | FiMFic

Eh, Glimmer had everything going for her then they gave her a ridiculous excuse

"So your childhood crush got his mark and was whisked away by his parents and you vowed to never again let a Cutie Mark divide a group of ponies ever again?

...going by that logic, the CMC should've been the ones to redeem Glimmer, not Twilight and a musical number

To be fair,Discord's excuse wasn't that much better. 

Dolemite2.gif.1f535b74ff05826ca7dd78c9e5ec1078.gif                                                                              

I've just become sick of MLP redeeming it's villains. I was okay with Discord's reformation, but after they reformed Sombra in the comics and Starlight in the show, I just facepalmed. Sombra's turn to evil was amazing, and gave him so much more character. Starlight was a perfect pony villain, but now she's literally Sunset Shimmer in the pony world. I would've preferred Sunset to go back to the pony world at the end of Friendship Games, and occasionally return to the human world to help human Twilight. But instead, we get a fantastic villain go to waste, and be reformed. Seriously, wouldn't it have been awesome to see Starlight break the spell, and have the Season 6 opener be Sunset coming back and helping Twilight restore time?

• Brohoof 2

He looks at modern stuff too if your curious! img-31871-1-img-31871-1-biggrin.png

Huge thanks to DanishToenails for my profile picture!

You guys can call the reformation is rushed or whatever, but Starlight is the redeemable villain. Here are some reason:

1. She realized her mistake and decide stop her wrongdoings by her own not the freaking rainbow.

2. She's READY for any punishment when she faces the mane 6, but Twilight and friends DECIDE to forgive her. She didnt try to escape and not even BEG for forgiveness, if Twilight choose to punish her, she wont complain anyway.

You guys think the reformation is a poorly decision? That is another topic in another Starlight-related thread. What I just want to say: Starlight is a redeemable villain, the decision to forgive her too easy is our heroes's decision not what that said villain call for it...

...heh... another Starlight thread... You still bitter about that? Even I am one of those people who not a fan of her reformation, I decide to move on now...

All I want is a villain, ANY villain, to stay a villain in this show. Just once, to show that not everyone wants to turn good or will turn good. This is a challenging problem that the ponies should realistically face. Battling and completely defeating an unrepentant villain is okay and sometimes a better option than just running them all through the convenient apology mill.

Sure, I understand that some of them can and should be reformed, but it seems the show has made a cliche out of making everyone reform and kiss up in the end. It's okay to have a couple of recurring baddies once in a while. That just gives a show texture. 

• Brohoof 1