Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unredeemable Villains?

Moon Sugar

Do you think there are some unreedamble villains?

I think that Tirek is by far the most 'evil' of the villains, followed by Sombra and the Nightmare Moon spirit. 

What do you think? Should MLP redeem *all* villains? Or are some completely nonredeemable?

Really only Tirek isn't very redeemable. Maybe Principle Cinch. Actually, now that I think about it, Sombra would be very hard to redeem, and so would Chrysalis (especially i she's possibly planning to kidnap a certain alicorn baby).

• Brohoof 1

Well, ever since Sombra's reformation in the comics anything's possible. But if we disregard the comics, which could be overruled in the show, I definitely believe Tirek is irredeemable. I'd say any pony that even makes a genuine effort to change (a la Discord, Starlight, Trixie) have a good shot at being redeemed, whereas those who do nothing but betray others and have a taste for extreme power would be nigh impossible to redeem.

Sombra's a big "maybe" if you factor in the comics where they tried to redeem him. Your Mileage May Vary on whether they succeeded or not.

Chrysalis definitely. Even if you argue that she was just trying to feed her race, both her invasion and the alternate future where she drives ponykind into near extinction shows that she's clearly enjoying. Tirek too, since he's just a power mad tyrant with nothing to redeem.  

Suri Polomare and Lightning Dust are two minor villians who I refuse to allow a second chance. The former spent every moment doing something underhanded or nasty (stealing from Rarity, treating Coco like a slave and lying to Rarity so she would miss her chance to claim the trophy and Suri would win by default without having done any work) and the latter is a sociopath who reacted to nearly killing five ponies and endangering the lives of her comrades with basically, "Yeah? What's your point? We won, that's all that matters."  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I still stand by that characters like Starlight or Sombra shouldn't have been redeemed(especially the latter). But that aside, there are the likes of Tirek, Chrysalis, the Dazzlings, Suri Polomare, Lightning Dust, Wind Rider, and the Flim Flam Bros. And I hope it stays that way

Also, just because Sonata Dusk was goofy doesn't mean she isn't evil or she's "Misunderstood". I absolutely hate it when people say that

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
Chrysalis definitely. Even if you argue that she was just trying to feed her race, both her invasion and the alternate future where she drives ponykind into near extinction shows that she's clearly enjoying.

It's not even just the fact that she enjoyed what she was doing, changelings are parasitic by nature, they feed on love, there is no way that they could exist in harmony with ponies in Equestria when their very survival is dependent on them consuming the very thing that makes Equestria what it is.

Edited by Concerned Bystander

Sombra's a big "maybe" if you factor in the comics where they tried to redeem him. Your Mileage May Vary on whether they succeeded or not.

Chrysalis definitely. Even if you argue that she was just trying to feed her race, both her invasion and the alternate future where she drives ponykind into near extinction shows that she's clearly enjoying. Tirek too, since he's just a power mad tyrant with nothing to redeem.  

Suri Polomare and Lightning Dust are two minor villians who I refuse to allow a second chance. The former spent every moment doing something underhanded or nasty (stealing from Rarity, treating Coco like a slave and lying to Rarity so she would miss her chance to claim the trophy and Suri would win by default without having done any work) and the latter is a sociopath who reacted to nearly killing five ponies and endangering the lives of her comrades with basically, "Yeah? What's your point? We won, that's all that matters."  

THANK YOU. I absolutely cannot stand Lightning Dust. She seems to be such a fan favorite, and while I can see why she would have her fans I myself can't bring myself to like her.

Honestly there is no such thing as a irredeemable villain in MLP. If Hasbro requests they be redeemed then they will be redeemed. The concept of a irredeemable villain in MLP is silly.

I don't think Tirek,Chrysalis,or the Flim Flam Bros. will ever change their ways.

Suri Polomare, Lightning Dust, Wind Rider, 

The chances of us ever seeing them again are pretty low. Would definitely love to see LD and WR team up for revenge,though.

Hell,maybe even Suri could join them.

I don't think Tirek,Chrysalis,or the Flim Flam Bros. will ever change their ways.

The chances of us ever seeing them again are pretty low. Would definitely love to see LD and WR team up for revenge,though.

Hell,maybe even Suri could join them.

I could see Suri returning being somewhat likely. Especially ever since the second half of last season Rarity has been getting a lot of time to shine. Not to mention the slew of Manehatten episodes we've been getting. Heck, Suri had a cameo in The Gift of the Maud Pie.

I could see Suri returning being somewhat likely. Especially ever since the second half of last season Rarity has been getting a lot of time to shine. Not to mention the slew of Manehatten episodes we've been getting. Heck, Suri had a cameo in The Gift of the Maud Pie.

I hope she's plotting revenge. 

Tirek is probably irredeemable, even after thousands of years. Chrysalis hasn't been redeemed, even after being banished/imprisoned more than once. But since Sombra got redeemed, everythings possible.  :adorkable:

The ones I see as irredeemable are:

-Tirek

-Sombra

-Chrysalis and the Changlings

-Flim and Flam

-The Dazzlings

etc.

Ones that I feel if reformed should retain a portion of their negative traits are:

-Garble

-Gilda

-Discord

-Discord still retains his chaotic aspects and mischievous behavior and we see plenty of that in the episodes

-Gilda may have been friends with Rainbow Dash at one point but I just can't see her as a COMPLETELY reformed antagonist. I feel she should retain a certain level of her gruffness and attitude towards ponies. She works better that way IMHO

-I just CAN'T see Garble doing a complete 180 with his character.

I'd say Tirek is the only irredeemable villain. He always felt like the most evil/malevolent of them all. We gotta have at least one big bad that will never change! :muffins:

I can see Chryssie as both an irredeemable and a redeemable one, could go either way. As for Sombra (spoilers),

He was redeemed in the comics, as far as I know, so I guess he's out of the question. :P

Any other minor villain, like Garble, Gilda, Trixie, etc, could be redeemed. Well, two of those three already are. xD

(edited)

After Starlight Glimmer being redeemed after all of her horrible crimes against Equestria, I am pretty sure if the writers want to than any and every single major villain can or will be redeemed.

But to be honest, I am sick of character reformation, because at this point the show is taking the idea of giving others a second chance to an extreme and unhealthy level.  Not everyone is able or willing to become a better person, the show is pretty much teaching kids that literally every single person can become your friend no matter what kind of horrible, horrible things that they have done to you.

Starlight's reformation also teaches kids that your actions don't have consequences and you don't have to take responsibility for them.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

After Starlight Glimmer being redeemed after all of her horrible crimes against Equestria, I am pretty sure if the writers want to than any and every single major villain can or will be redeemed.

But to be honest, I am sick of character reformation, because at this point the show is taking the idea of giving others a second chance to an extreme and unhealthy level.  Not everyone is able or willing to become a better person, the show is pretty much teaching kids that literally every single person can become your friend no matter what kind of horrible, horrible things that they have done to you.

Starlight's reformation also teaches kids that your actions don't have consequences and you don't have to take responsibility for them.

I agree that Starlight needs to have some sort of accountability for her actions than just apologizing and feeling bad for a couple weeks. Because reformation is different than accountability, it could be because we've had a wee bit more screen time with Sunset Shimmer that her's seemed more... natural? I'm not sure.

I'm surprised to see so many people viewing the Flim Flam brothers on the same level as Tirek. They're just sales ponies and the first time they did make a superior product but they just got over zealous. The second time they sold snake oil but that's not the same as destroying Equestria. 

I would love to see the mane 6 redeem the joker

What?

Edited by Moon Sugar

I think we need some irredeemable villains. The writers overused the villain redemption trope last season, redeeming Diamond Tiara, Gilda and Starlight Glimmer all in the same season. The first two redemptions made sense, since Gilda and Diamond Tiara were little more than minor antagonists, but Starlight's redemption was really pushing it, considering just how nasty of a villain she was. Then again, Discord (of all people) was redeemed back in Season 3, so maybe I'm just overreacting. That being said, I think the writers should stick to redeeming minor antagonists, while leaving the big bads of the season unredeemed. If it gets to the point where the audience is expecting villains to be redeemed at the end of the episode/season, then what's the point of introducing new villains?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

MLP:Fim just loves to rush its heel-face turns and they're getting pretty bad at pulling this out constantly.

I kind of would like to see some villains not get redeemed (for a show perspective), but then there is some sort of basic moral to teach that they seem to want to keep. It gets boring seeing them redeem their villains (the 'big fish') constantly , but if they want to do it because they stand behind their morals then fine. 

But looking over the 'big fish' season villains, this is just what I think about whether they'll get redeemed later or not.  

-Tirek (nope)

-Sombra (nope? haven't read comics, but at the same time, don't see them as canon enough and can be over-riden by the main show. So nope as it stands... for me, he's still technically dead)

-Chrysalis and the Changlings (nope. cause they're a species that feeds on love for survival. Which is cool, but I don't see them resolving their conflict anytime soon).

- Discord (already in process/looks to be eventually finishing)

- Nightmare Moon (vanquished? I suppose she's never coming back).

- Starlight Glimmer (in process)

Everyone else falls into minor antagonist and more or less falls into feasible easy redeemable territory, or falls into, necessary antagonist of the week situation (i.e. - I only really see Film and Flam being a minor antagonist just to be opposite of AJ for the plot. They won't change because they DON'T need to be redeemed, as they seem to be only kept so that we can have something opposite for AJ to oppose).

Ignoring Equestria Girls, cause those heel-face turns are some of the most atrocious of this series. And cause, can be ignored.

Actually, thinking about it. If they're unlikely to be redeemed, then they're probably more likely to not return in the main show again (only in secondary canon stuff).

Edited by pony.colin

There are definitely some irredeemable villains and antagonists. Tirek is an obvious one. The Flim Flam Brothers are also irredeemable antagonists: their whole talent is scamming you. In the comics, there are quite a few, including Longhorn. Chrysalis in the comics is also irredeemable.

Not every antagonist or villain should be redeemed. Sombra from the show is a monster, but Siege of The Crystal Empire attempts to try to create a sympathetic character very poorly in a vain attempt to redeem him. His redemption there is a complete insult.

You're looking for an implication that doesn't exist. It legitimately makes sense to redeem Starlight. The trauma of being separated from her lone friend as a child led to her hatred of cutie marks and misguided philosophy of friendship. Twilight could tell she was hurting and needed help. She wouldn't offer Starlight the opportunity to give the true Magic of Friendship another chance without a reason, and she had a very valid one. Punishment won't work: All the hard-earned effort to gain Starlight's trust would be pointless. Teaching her the Magic of Friendship was the best and most proactive solution.