Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Preview for Saddle Row and Rec.

CastletonSnob

Why won’t Starlight be with them in Manehattan?

I’m not saying she needs to be in every episode, but include her in important events of her friends’ lives, like Rarity’s new store. She wasn't there for Rainbow joining the Wonderbolts either. 

I'm starting to think that Starlight isn't a mane six so much as a Character device for Twilight.

Starlight has no reason to exist EXCEPT Twilight: she's literally there JUST so twilight can develop as a teacher, she's like an inanimate object for twilight to study from. She has no purpose with any of the other 5: Her purpose is for another goal in life for twilight, not for interacting with the other 5 (who have no goals of teaching).

basically, its starting to seem that she's not a mane six but a plot device to give twilight something to do, and that she'll be discarded as soon as that task is over with and twilight's learned how to Teach ponies.

I wouldn't be concerned about the absence of Starlight and Spike just yet. They could handwave it, possibly in a way that sets up a future episode, or they could just pull a "Cutie Map" and use it as an excuse to sideline the characters, which shows the absolute trouble of having such a large main cast.

From the looks of this preview, it sounds very reminiscent of the base plot of "Suited for Success" and "Castle Sweet Castle". Season 6 has a trend of playing it safe as far as episode plots and premises go, so I probably wouldn't expect to see this one on too many people's "best of" lists anytime soon.