Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rate S6.

CastletonSnob

6/10 - IMO, season 6 had one episode that was pretty awesome (Stranger Than Fan Fiction), a few good episodes (Dungeons and Discords,  Every Little Thing She Does, Top Bolt etc.), but a few disappointing ones as well (The Cystalling, Newbie Dash etc.) and some I'd consider rather terrible (Cart Before The Ponies, 28 Pranks Later etc.).

Overall the season has mostly been OK-ish, with a few duds here and there.

7.5/10

A lot of good episodes, a couple great ones like Saddle Row Review, Gift of Maud Pie, and the finale. Didn't reach the heights of seasons 2 and 4 but definitely not as disappointing as 3.

Conservatively speaking, tied with Season 5, if not better, in my honest opinion.

Across the board, I think Season 6 has the better average given that I think every single episode in 6 was better than What About Discord?, The One Where Pinkie Knows, Make New Friends But Keep Discord, Appleloosa's Most Wanted and especially Princess Spike but 5 definitely has better two-parters and there is nothing quite like Tanks For The Memories, Crusaders Of The Lost Marks and Amending Fences in 6. At the same time, 6's string of experimentation such as A Hearth's Warming Tail, The Saddle Row Review, Stranger Than Fan Fiction, P.P.O.V. (Pony Point Of View) etc.

I think 5 felt more unique in the form of episodes such as Slice Of Life, Rarity Investigates!, Do Princesses Dream Of Magic Sheep?, Brotherhooves Social etc. because it was quite an improvement/shift away from Season 4 but 6 unequivocally has the more complex and rewarding stories, evidenced by Viva Las Pegasus and Top Bolt, both which are stronger than the map episodes of 5 and the same argument. 6 showed Fluttershy, Discord and especially Spike better. 5 also lost quite a bit of momentum nearing the end but also had more focus on Rarity and Pinkie Pie.

All in all, Season 5 set a very high bar and even if you believe Season 6 did not hit it, it can't be far off as it certainly better than Season 4 as the show has visibly matured.

The funny thing is that although 4 is better than the seasons that preceeded it, people seem to forget that it has many more episodes that are considered middle of the road, such as Daring Don'tTrade Ya!Equestria GamesIt Ain't Easy Being BreeziesRainbow Falls, Power Ponies, Three's A CrowdSimple Ways and Somepony To Watch Over Me, simply counterbalanced by otherwise extremely strong episodes. Although many would disagree, 6 is better simply by virtue of consistency, considering that the only episodes near the least impressive standards of 4 are The Cart Before The Ponies28 Pranks Later and Applejack's Day Off and by quite a stretch Newbie Dash and On Your Marks.

I know it's been only two years but I think that nostalgia for 4 is affecting perception of 6, not unlike how back in 2014, people argued that Season Two was better than Season 4 when in reality, Season Three was objectively better than Two, so the same argument can be applied now.

I know it's been only two years but I think that nostalgia for 4 is affecting perception of 6, not unlike how back in 2014, people argued that Season Two was better than Season 4 when in reality, Season Three was objectively better than Two, so the same argument can be applied now.

Hard to believe that it's "objectively" better when I don't subscribe to the theory that the show has only gotten better. That may be your perspective, but I take exception to claims of "objectivity" with regards to enjoyment - to me, season 2 remains the cleanest and most consistent season with regards to quality, and while season 3 mostly just continues the trends I enjoyed in 2, it also starts to unravel near the end. I also struggle to agree with any "objective" assessment of season 5 as being a "high bar" for the show, as I maintain that it's easily the messiest, most uneven, and most outright flawed season to date. 

I *don't* understand how people are seeing unique issues in this season which I thought were major issues in seasons 4 and 5. I don't think it's "nostalgia" so much as people just comparing something they enjoyed to something they didn't, but I struggle to understand criticisms of stagnation especially as something unique to season 6, as I personally feel it's the freshest the show has been since season 3. 

• Brohoof 1