Why is Sunet Shimmer some people favorite character even over MLP characters

Tilgoreth

and boba fett had like a grand total of 2 minutes screen time on star wars but people still loved him

I can see your point. But a similar character Starlight, I think her story was much better. But eh each to there own. :)

I can see your point. But a similar character Starlight, I think her story was much better. But eh each to there own. :)

Yeah, I guess you could think that. Starlight just automatically got everyone's respect, but Sunset had to actually work for it.

Edited by NotoriousSMALL
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah, I guess you could think that. Starlight just automatically got everyone's respect, but Sunset had to actually work for it.

I know. But I find Starlight more likable. And she stop strives to be better. She also doesn't understand everything about friendship. Where as Sunset was instant friendship god. Being able to recognize problems even Twilight was oblivious to.

Sunset Shimmer began the Equestrian Girl series as a run of the mill teen movie bad girl. Wanted to be prom queen, dated the protagonist's crush, so on, so forth.

However the writers of the show quickly realized that this did not work so they changed her almost immediately to not just a very likable protagonist, but into a very strong protagonist, who quickly became a part of the mane 6(human 6)which is where the term mane 7 comes from in those movies. She became the glue that held the series together.

Only thing that I regret is that terrible demon design in the 1st movie.....oh god.

sunset_shimmer_demon_vector_by_ponyalfon

Edited by Rarity the Supreme
  • Brohoof 3

Because not all people have good taste

Sunset sucks

Why the hell do people say stuff like this?

Anyway... Sunset has had quite a bit of development and she is a fairly complex character, in many ways more "realistic" of a personality than the Mane 6. Think of it this way... can you think of a single word that describes Sunset Shimmer's entire personality, as you can with the Mane 6? Probably not as easily.

• Brohoof 2

Why the hell do people say stuff like this?

Anyway... Sunset has had quite a bit of development and she is a fairly complex character, in many ways more "realistic" of a personality than the Mane 6. Think of it this way... can you think of a single word that describes Sunset Shimmer's entire personality, as you can with the Mane 6? Probably not as easily.

Because its true... the writing for her character is terrible just like with EQG in general

when you cant think about a word to describe a character personality it can mean that she is either "somewhat complex" or that she just doesnt have much personality to do so... in Sunset case its the latter

...yeah, no, I like Sunset, but that's definitely because the movies haven't properly developed her. I could name what I presume to be her flaws or interests, but those interpretations are contentious, because the movies have spent little time fleshing them out, and as a result, whenever she doesn't have some sort of personal insecurity to deal with, she's as interesting as a slab of cardboard. 

• Brohoof 1

From my point of view, Sunset Shimmer is a more realistic character than all the rest. She's the only one that seems to know where to start to solve a personal problem and you can see her socializing in the fourth movie in a still much more realistic way and more straight to the point than any other of the main characters, especially on her conversations with Twilight and Flash. I'd say that's one thing Sunset has that others don't. Not my favorite character, but I liked that.

• Brohoof 1

I know. But I find Starlight more likable. And she stop strives to be better. She also doesn't understand everything about friendship. Where as Sunset was instant friendship god. Being able to recognize problems even Twilight was oblivious to.

I'm sorry, but it was shown in Friendship games that Sunset has as much intellect as Twilight. Being able to recognize a problem and come up with a olution doesn't make her a friendship god. She still struggled to understand friendship at the time of Rainbow rocks, in which pony Twi was at a loss of magic she didn't understand how to defeat. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but it was shown in Friendship games that Sunset has as much intellect as Twilight. Being able to recognize a problem and come up with a olution doesn't make her a friendship god. She still struggled to understand friendship at the time of Rainbow rocks, in which pony Twi was at a loss of magic she didn't understand how to defeat.

I never said Sunset was more intelligent. I just said I thought Starlight was a better character. Starlight struggled to understand friendship. Where as Sunset was able to completely be aware of her friends feelings in Rainbow Rocks. Even Princess Twilight herself didn't notice what was wrong with her friends. But Sunset did.

Because its true... the writing for her character is terrible just like with EQG in general

when you cant think about a word to describe a character personality it can mean that she is either "somewhat complex" or that she just doesnt have much personality to do so... in Sunset case its the latter

...yeah, no, I like Sunset, but that's definitely because the movies haven't properly developed her. I could name what I presume to be her flaws or interests, but those interpretations are contentious, because the movies have spent little time fleshing them out, and as a result, whenever she doesn't have some sort of personal insecurity to deal with, she's as interesting as a slab of cardboard. 

...yeah, no, if you can't tell she has a personality, either you have a bias against EQG, or haven't actually watched all 4 movies.

Sunset described her personality herself, so that's a pretty clear starting point to what she's like.

By the way, I don't particularly like Sunset, so it's not like you're dealing with a Sunset fanboy or whatever.

Edited by Show Stage Guy

...yeah, no, if you can't tell she has a personality, either you have a bias against EQG, or haven't actually watched all 4 movies.

Sunset described her personality herself, so that's a pretty clear starting point to what she's like.

By the way, I don't particularly like Sunset, so it's not like you're dealing with a Sunset fanboy or whatever.

Maybe I'm basing too much of it on "Legend of Everfree," where she's pretty much a slab of wood, as she definitely doesn't seem so boring in the previous two movies (I mean, she has actual flaws in those!), but I still don't have a very good feeling for what her interests are or what she does in her spare time.

I'll give the short AF answer. Because Hawt.

This man knows what's up

As for your question though, I'm not sure I can speak for 100% of Sunset fans, so I'll just speak for myself: I like her 'cause she's well-written, has a great arc over the course of all 4 movies, and is just really frikkin' likeable & relatable. :D