Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Receive Error Message When Using Search Feature

Venomous

Hello, there

Whenever I use the search function to seek out a particular thread, member, etc., I am only met with a page that reads either:
"504 GatewayTime-out nginx" or the MLP Forums's version: "We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now. You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later".

These pages are accompanied with an extensive loading time right before. This happens when I use my desktop & tablet. I first thought that this was an issue with my own, home wifi but this also occurs when I use desktops elswhere (at school, at another home, etc.) as well with using different browsers.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Venomous said:

Hello, there

Whenever I use the search function to seek out a particular thread, member, etc., I am only met with a page that reads either:
"504 GatewayTime-out nginx" or the MLP Forums's version: "We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now. You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later".

These pages are accompanied with an extensive loading time right before. This happens when I use my desktop & tablet. I first thought that this was an issue with my own, home wifi but this also occurs when I use desktops elswhere (at school, at another home, etc.) as well with using different browsers.

It's not you Venomous. 

The simple explanation is that it is a server error that the client displays when an server is slow or unresponsive. Basically, what we have here is a failure to communicate. It could be a configuration issue with timeout (for instance, fastcgi with php-fpm timeout used to catch people up when they were new to running their own config files -- which is highly unlikely in this case), load balancing, even a problem with the provider that hosts this site (more likely). The sysops guys could definitely look into the logs to see. My money is on the provider having an issue, but it's hard to tell from the ground level.  

The 504 errors are rather common here (been seeing them regularly since 2014 for a wide variety of reasons). Usually it is resolved fairly quickly. 

Either way, it's not a client side issue (you).

• Brohoof 1

@Jeric

I figured it had something to do with the website itself... That's alright. I can always just dig up threads and whatnot manually. No big deal!

:grin:

• Brohoof 1