Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

List continuity errors

Bendy

Let's try list continuity errors. For all the nerds like myself out there. At any rate you can ignore canon if you want to write a fan fiction.

Rainbow Dash said "On the other hand", yet in Equestria Girls she said "What are hands?"

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 5

Episode S01E13: Fall Weather Friends. Around 17:43. Rainbowdash has no neck!

I feel uncomfortable with the fact that Zecora is not considered a “pony”. In the episode “The Cutie Pox”, Applejack exclaims that they “need somepony to to mix up a cure! And fast!”, to which Twilight replies: “Not some pony… some zebra!” This implies that, though they are all equines, Zecora is not considered a “pony”, which I associate with whether or not she is considered an equal (one could use counter-arguments to this point, such as how this would not make the native buffalos equal, or the fact that they have princesses, implying a monarchy and “relative equality”; but the buffalos are bovines and the political systems haven’t really been explained, only implied, so these are arguments for another confession).

Maybe it was simply an overlooked sentence and I’m making mountains out of molehills, disecting references to racial inequality in a children’s show. Regardless, I felt as though I had to get it off of my chest.

Edited by child of the night
  • Brohoof 2

As in terms of continuity errors, you could say:

• Sonic Rainboom S1: E16 if that counts.

But other than that, there have been many continuity errors. So many errors that make you think that you're losing your mind. :P

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 1

In the "May the Best Pet Win" episode, when Dashie and Fluttershy were singing, Rainbow Dash used the term "Fast as a bullet". We've seen arrows used for warfare purposes in "Daring Don't". But do they have guns?

• Brohoof 3

I feel uncomfortable with the fact that Zecora is not considered a “pony”. In the episode “The Cutie Pox”, Applejack exclaims that they “need somepony to to mix up a cure! And fast!”, to which Twilight replies: “Not some pony… some zebra!” This implies that, though they are all equines, Zecora is not considered a “pony”, which I associate with whether or not she is considered an equal.

I think they did that because horses and ponies are not the same species. It does not imply inequality. Mules live with the ponies. We can't be sure, but I assume the non pony characters are treated equally. Wouldn't it be funny if they weren't? Like mules ride in the back of the bus and stuff like that.
  • Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

Let me first state that I love the show and make a concious choice to enjoy it and not to overanalyze.  Some folks get really bent of shape over this stuff.  That said, I'm just the type of person that enjoys picking through the errors and plot holes after I'm done watching.  It's all in good fun.

I'm tempted to rewatch the entire series and keep a tally of the number of times they goof up by saying "everyone" or "everybody" instead of "everypony."  It happens a lot.  How many pronoun errors can YOU spot?  Here, I'll give you the worst ones to get you started:  In the song A True True Friend, Twi and AJ each say "townspeople" in quick succession.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

A continuity error I hate:

In The Cutie Mark Chronicles, Pinkie has 2 of her sisters in the party:

img-2614043-1-Pinkie_Pie_dancing_with_fa

But in Pinkie Pride, Maud Pie was apparently in it too:

140509031316598058.png

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Such a list would break the spine of the internet!

@Blobulle, Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party! actually covers that plot hole.

In Trade Ya!, Twilight Sparkle said that a trade was legal as long as both parties were happy.  But, when Rainbow came to her saying that she wasn't happy with her trade, Princess Twilight claimed there was nothing she could do.  Damn it, Twilight, you had one job!

Edited by Forlong
  • Brohoof 3

Let me first state that I love the show and make a concious choice to enjoy it and not to overanalyze.  Some folks get really bent of shape over this stuff.  That said, I'm just the type of person that enjoys picking through the errors and plot holes after I'm done watching.  It's all in good fun.

I'm tempted to rewatch the entire series and keep a tally of the number of times they goof up by saying "everyone" or "everybody" instead of "everypony."  It happens a lot.  How many pronoun errors can YOU spot?  Here, I'll give you the worst ones to get you started:  In the song A True True Friend, Twi and AJ each say "townspeople" in quick succession.

Yes, people tend to over react over those things and judge an episode quality for it, while NO OTHER SHOW is free of continuity errors. But is okay to notice those errors out of fun, that why this MLP analyzer is my favorite 

https://www.youtube.com/user/LittleshyFiM

He also has another channel where he takes count of "sins" for movies

• Brohoof 2

Yes, people tend to over react over those things and judge an episode quality for it, while NO OTHER SHOW is free of continuity errors. But is okay to notice those errors out of fun, that why this MLP analyzer is my favorite 

https://www.youtube.com/user/LittleshyFiM

He also has another channel where he takes count of "sins" for movies

I just watched some of this guy's videos.  He's a genius.  Absolutely hilarious.  And it's obviously out of fun, as you said.  That's what makes it so good.  And any show has continuity errors, like you said.  Ever looked closely at some of the classic Simpsons episodes?  Marge's pearls will spontaneously change color from red to white and vice versa from shot to shot.  Happens a LOT.

(edited)

I just watched some of this guy's videos.  He's a genius.  Absolutely hilarious.  And it's obviously out of fun, as you said.  That's what makes it so good.  And any show has continuity errors, like you said.  Ever looked closely at some of the classic Simpsons episodes?  Marge's pearls will spontaneously change color from red to white and vice versa from shot to shot.  Happens a LOT.

I'll never get how people are okay with continuity errors and plot holes (well at least ones that have an impact on the story, aka the serious ones). Shouldn't we expect writers to not have those types of problems with their stories? It's just bad writing and I don't get how it's so excusable. It's like getting served a ham and potato dinner that has rat feces in it, but instead of refusing to eat it because it's ruined by the poop, you just eat around the crap and enjoy it anyway.

And you may be right that every show has continuity errors, but again, we shouldn't accept that as standard for storytelling, it's bad writing and the writer can do better, and we should expect them to do better, to avoid these problems completely.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

Maybe I'm missing something, but in Rarity Takes Manehattan I always wonder: If the run through was meant to decide who got to stay for the big show, and Rarity turned up with an identical line to Suri Polomare after Suri had already shown her line, how did they decide to let Rarity through? Especially as she ran away in tears before she could even show it. That's always confused me!

I'll never get how people are okay with continuity errors and plot holes (well at least ones that have an impact on the story, aka the serious ones). Shouldn't we expect writers to not have those types of problems with their stories? It's just bad writing and I don't get how it's so excusable. It's like getting served a ham and potato dinner that has rat feces in it, but instead of refusing to eat it because it's ruined by the poop, you just eat around the crap and enjoy it anyway.

And you may be right that every show has continuity errors, but again, we shouldn't accept that as standard for storytelling, it's bad writing and the writer can do better, and we should expect them to do better, to avoid these problems completely.

Yeah, I hear ya.  I just don't want to let it ruin the show for me.  I can either enjoy FIM or not enjoy it.  I'd prefer the former.

Yeah, I hear ya.  I just don't want to let it ruin the show for me.  I can either enjoy FIM or not enjoy it.  I'd prefer the former.

I get what your saying, you'd rather keep enjoying a show you like than let it be ruined for you. I just wont accept serious writing flaws, even if I'm really invested in a story. Sucks when I stumble upon one that makes it all fall apart, but that's just how it is sometimes.

Why? Wouldn't that bypass the time honored tradition of fan based head cannon explanations?

Anyway, continuity errors don't bother me much at all. I like movies, books, and TV and my internal critic doesn't get to tell me to stop enjoying art. ;)

Back To The Future is a perfect example of how obsessing about these issues can ruin a good tale.

Let's not get started with the mattress of the Power Puff Girls, they change sides constantly but most of the time, they don't bother to change the mattress colors. making usual for Blosson's sleeping the green side for example, but no one bats an eye on that, so why suddenly we care about those small details in FiM? just laugh at them or just "oh, mistake here" and move on

Why? Wouldn't that bypass the time honored tradition of fan based head cannon explanations?

That's only fine when the writer has intentionally left out information for the audience to figure out for themselves, but said writer has to have thought up a plausible way of explaining the mystery, or else it's a plot hole.

(edited)

Discord is the best written character of the show. :lol:

...Or at least, of the season 4 finale.

Edited by Blobulle