Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Yotes

Battle Gem Ponies! The fully-animated action-packed RPG adventure! An evolved version of the Ponymon ROM-Hack, and now its own indie project.

Rotation battles, specialized move slots, new types, gym leaders specializing in strategies instead of types, EVs & IVs that can be altered with a slider instead of breeding, a balanced roster without intentional tiers, and a version of Eevee that can switch between any of the types at will. All ideas that went into this project's conception.

Sound good? Then come along for the ride!

VCU4RMv.png
Developed by Tony Yotes in Unity3D with 2d Toolkit

INTRODUCTION:

D5_Icon-144.png

Welcome to the official Battle Gem Ponies Pre-Alpha thread!

BGP has been an idea swimming in my head for years before finally starting development in December of 2014. It was inspired by a Fire Red version ROM Hack called Ponymon where the Pokemon were replaced with My Little Pony characters. The hack went unfinished for years and the story didn’t seem to do much more than name swap and make friendship references. I wondered how cool it would be to see that MLPxPokemon idea taken all the way and fleshed out into a completely new adventure.

Fan games like Pokemon Uranium and Fighting is Magic inspired me to take up programming in high school so I could make fan games of my own. Specifically, I always wanted to make my own Pokemon game that did away with all the parts that annoyed me in the main series. Things like grinding, HMs, boring/easy fights, and evolution lines with stats too low for competitive viability would be no more! The first attempt at making such a game didn’t go too well, being just a kid with one java class and a C++ tutorial under his belt. So I spent the next 7 years practicing game development (even getting a degree in Gaming & Simulation) to build the skill necessary to craft a full-blown RPG like this.

Over the years the game has gone from overambitious Pokemon fan game to legally safe overambitious Pokemon clone with its own characters, world, logos, assets, and so on. Measures have been taken to make sure this is a Cease & Desist-proof original property inspired by Pokemon that's made from scratch.

Lots of blood, sweat, and tears are going into making this game a success. I hope Battle Gem Ponies is turns out as good as the game I saw in my head all those years ago. I can’t be the only one who would like to play a game like this, right?

Thanks for checking out the project and enjoy the demo!

-- Tony Yotes --

CONCEPT:

Command super-powered, shape-shifting ponies in strategic turn-based RPG combat. The battle system is a variation of Pokemon's Rotation Battle in that matches are 3 vs 3 and either player can swap out their current fighter at the beginning of the turn (but at the cost of attacking last). Your pony will shapeshift between these 3 forms until each one's individual HP reaches zero.

To catch wild ponies you have to weaken them and use capture gems that "download" the opposing pony's data and allows your pony to transform into it. In order to complete the capture process though, the wild pony needs to be defeated.

x0Va7cixVODDFohMeoCR5qRNRCtBBZzNML9EP53k9mubH2cYCn_Q-AJ6LeNJ5PfT9Fyill5lTdY7_It_foL4AUocy-jRuyflsKt71JOxA2zg912j1_N_luzKKhVUif8tOKJ0TKIa 

There are 18 elemental classes each with their own strengths and weaknesses. In place of the "Normal type" there is a neutral class with no special advantage or disadvantage, thus being able to cause a regular amount of damage on anypony. The classes are Fire, Aqua, Surge, Plant, Ice, Ki, Toxic, Earth, Air, Esper, Bug, Ghost, Draco, Steel, Light, Dark, Chaos, and Magic.

Ef7z5vLld-XGiNR4L7hEUD5PC-NH8-cGqBx-VHzORzQPcgG5b88ncAqBuwLC6SHz6VuHxSnE93KjMFAscmcx4hQTspGfzkq5A-Wu5Dj6ButWmgvoCIrBblc89qQ_Hj8e3pi4OJvb 

A major aspect of battle is the Ultra transformations. Like with mega evolution, finding special objects in the overworld will allow you to transform any one of your party members into a powered up version of themselves (sometimes with alternate elemental types too).

FEATURES:

Fully Animated Battle RPG!
     Every single pony and attack is uniquely animated to bring these pixel art battles to life!

Explore a Vast World!
     An enormous, vibrant region awaits! Travel through deserts, mountains, forests, graveyards, and underwater temples on your quest through the Pinto region.

Power Up Your Pony!
     Form a powerful bond with your shapeshifting pony companion and watch it grow stronger, learn awesome new moves, and take on the toughest of enemies.

Travel with Your Pony!
     Surf across oceans and lakes with any swift-swimming ponies. Teleport to the nearest Health Center whenever you like with a simple phone call. Even have whatever pony is with you smash any boulders in your path, just because they all can!

Customize Your Team!
     Choose who you take into battle from a selection of 60 Ponies and their Ultra Forms. You can alter their moves, stats, and equipment to become an unbeatable trainer!

Hundreds of Different Moves!
     Using attacks grouped into Light, Heavy, Status, and Tutor slots that make you think more carefully about which moves to take into battle.

Discover the Secrets of the Legendary Alicorns!
     Powerful, winged unicorns that embody the Sun and Moon are said to be the strongest ponies to ever live. People have wanted to harness their power for personal gain since ancient times. With recent advancements in technology, however, it might be easier than ever for their power to fall into the wrong hands...

Collect Badges and Save The World!
     You’ll have your skills tested by expert Mavens and fight for your life against the evil Paragon Cartel. Simple story objectives that fans of Monster RPGs will be familiar with, but perhaps with a few surprises along the way...

THE PINTO REGION:

Just one corner of a brand new world…

H - Rest House
G - City Gate
C - Celestial Shrine
P - Paragon Cartel Secret Base
(start in Honey Dew and venture around)

CNpU07a.png

A colorful and varied region with a gemstone motif and mysteries scattered across the map. It's meant to be an adventure lasting at least 6 hours on average. Preferably longer, and extended indefinitely with post-game content. The environments should be visually varied and filled with enough story content to keep the player interested in progressing. Every single section has at least a handful of notable experiences within.

The scope has been thought out and written in a 200+ page long game design document along with every other aspect of the game.

SCREENSHOTS:

Promo_GreenlightVote.png

G6IrnPI4bKJf8TrfVuU2Y7j35VO1jssJd3MRsoS5xjjcq48B9lOMw08NNaeevzeMoRWIOC2jfdaYzwiJE1z3I7iW1U5E5aeHKmaMpfhLxxanZY-B-8_ZpSOO6niyK7JfIew0_pYy

Fxnm3mbkT_MoW1fyLWdZQT1fU3k34EpOKUqnr3F12NP8fJnHwbpEgOXXJl0yKLMonY2na_3bw_ydmqlsMBt2rrBzt9svvxB8xL4GQx9AL92IVGhnmia-VhwaOhTjCwts2O2EpLCA

7vMYdNjWfCD87O_0GPHJ58-DfkmVKUMSJwfqWX9DhTgu8cw-cS189o9BudHug8ES03Ldyp-0T3NbrHeNry7b7-HTNiwSVL-wuHYZ12YGvjda438nHb2nG4-5N03Y_prlnWiQSqDO

3qnz90joNRsSQhQQrQ8bentVpVsm15_thxKstsRwripzI3XoLRiY7Gt0YC4IB3mGT_sE9PaPLYOTc9h9FrmKYazAIL_QUbnsDBj0Xomg8i3WEg3JyZaAXYCPLXJ0pAvUpIQ4TQPC

cRBv4n0XNAaLYLW7hGYcP39FW8UKZbmE31LXV7w_8DliFIn5sZnj2MXyYF-BrYQ1ObmcE5NrGI-ixTY3FwiGPRJZiCbdf5IZGB8rAR3_g5q3b91Qz6OvFWKfHEFPsvYj0b5xyG5c

643hZEcSjXJwCK07vUH2shLzXSSv2sHcsotRmzEp41nhrMEX-hUgNJmm_PJFfP2_Td5Gl06Mwp3v4-Qnb_KBMbOaFex_JZGCVLuMc_lbZaNJeEHrbIapmHc1mluyGaQU6mLlQk3K

L8PImDaIF26dKLBgdOKLSEK3K3ecO7agJWHyqpWCEqoSAmW43_GzWg8h-_3GwAw4Q83NiE3yO58QON367FsnFXGVaS_URK5vJHsgrqMw9S0zclcebA0mQAvmDJMzZXhkP3XSuVeU

gJBgrFQtIpA8iE_nI5N-BquLgtDloEiZF_zdhKw7QEKUmRkTM_y1s3T_KVAsy-lLIiRANO2gtuZBogLwUGRSk2l-ebzvj40QDcpoOox_x7Mx1Pl6-6eUBqWVFcy5vWV_to1VUUwk

AN-mXg792aRZ1-9O-5db81jyqOfAJ5CEF_NRDkwaiYc44prIGjwQtToCMqvUqd7yEodS6l4o14yzY3sMhe8Xu-iKHJ0bn_a9iynSKTd_tZD0_XTPZwqc1clYiYhn_TnU8wcoj_yQ

QdKGochuzS_zO-gaTqwF5Tarhu3Mw8TT92wfEhsh57G32GJH-V7P4E06nYhq881rKXmdBBaF7FjVeOSYvalBK6454GwUdqzoY8gR4N65KULOIPKc0pC4TglBaR0R4dfilcX8z4vw

SOCIAL MEDIA:

Follow the game on your favorite social media sites to get the latest news and have your burning questions answered! Interact with Yotes Games on any of the sites below.

Find Yotes On:
Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Google+ | Patreon |
| IndieDB Gamasutra | DeviantArt | Reddit MyIGN |

Alternatively, you can just email yotesmail@gmail.com

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

The latest current build is version 7.0, now available on Itch.io!
Available for Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms.

Demo V7 contains 3 areas, 12 ponies, and a Random Battle Now mode.
(Combat calculations may exhibit bugs.)

N95eWXP_HtVymfHKa2J8GDFSWFXLZQa7A07yFyoqm_o5eKtKjDpeZwclmz1Fc0PcmsYRMhSXIPzqcP6_Q0sO8XThqMCF47qVp2wchEYGIJ2vGlnZBSyXjBM3ZtIeeu452ZftrHzF

Pre-Alpha V7.0  (11/17/17)

Download: https://yotesgames.itch.io/battle-gem-ponies

CREDITS:

Engine, Development Tools, & Plugins provided by Unity3D and its Asset Store

Orchestral Composition & Soundtrack
Eric Eom (E^2)

Chiptune Composition, Soundtrack, & Sound Effects
Justin Heng (blucario)

Game Design, Production, Marketing, Pixel Art, Animation, Writing, Programming
Tony Yotes (Yotes Games)

E8OFwFcUmDTcLYiyC9lpY1iQKorxsyqDxnJjsttgfygweP3jHKVc61kiOITX1OFAQgemKJRWNnmmhMtadw59bALPn-c8F7X_2_4366_YMPGpC2ivuMIMe7Sv2IltEe0eRBm0zILL
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

The game's been showcased at small local conventions and the feedback is helping shape this into something special! Can't wait to get a new build out to everyone soon!

• Brohoof 1