Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private The Good King

AnonyPoni

Midnight paced in his room, "how could he do this too me, i dont want to hurt this ones feelings, but...." he sighed, "this isnt right."

there was a knock on the door and chrys entered, "midnight, i know you dont trust me beacuse well....im a clone."

midnight shook his head, "no, i have mixed feelings about this, its....just your chrys in every way, its toying with my mind."

she shook her head, "well, thats the idea...i think."

• Brohoof 1

**40 miles from Chiropreta**

The massive army had yet again set camp. Instead of joining his fellow compatriots in the mess hall where everyone was enjoying some ale, Night Flash was sitting in his own personal tent. He was trying to think of a most gruesome way to kill Tyrannus to make him pay for Commander Hurricane's death. He sipped a glass of cider as he began writing his journal.

Day 30

I recently found out that Hurricane is dead and that thanks to my being on this campaign, I wont be able to attend his funeral. That bold murder has made all of Equestria uneasy. All the citizens think that Tyrannus's spies are lurking in the corners of every Equestrian settlement.

All I can think of right now is killing that sick pony. I can't wait to drive a sword straight through his chest. I was a bit worried about his super soldiers but seeing how I've got about 80% of the Equestrian army with me, I don't see how they're going to beat us no matter how powerful they are. I've got siege machines, alchemists who are coming up with all sorts of poisons to apply on the swords and arrows and the best blacksmiths. Infact, I can hear one of them hammering away at some steel as I write this.

My generals on the other hand, do not approve of me leading this attack on the city. I'm being used as a sort of propaganda for the Equestrian Army. They want me to take up a desk job in Canterlot so I'll be safe. I'd rather die on the battlefield than that. They think, that if I do die out there, the troops morale will be crushed. I can't be the god they want me to be, I'm a soldier.

With a flourish of his pen, Night Flash wrote the last letter. Just as he had done that, one of the soldiers entered his tent, his armour making a clanking sound as he walked in.

''Sir, the generals are saying that it's time to move again. Shall we?'' said the soldier as he stood at attention.

Night Flash turned around and smiled. The sooner they got to their destination, the sooner Night Flash could avenge Hurricane's death.

''Tell them they have the green light, we're packing up. I want to get moving again by the next fifty minutes.'' said Night Flash.

The soldier nodded and left the tent.

By that time, he had finished his bottle of rum but he still had a lot more in his personal chest.

''Maybe...a couple more wont hurt...''

• Brohoof 1

midnight sighed he looked over at this chrys who had joined him on the bed, there was still quite a bit of space between them,

she smiled, "you know, you look alot better without your armor on, like a normal malumai."

midnigh smiled a bit, "it gets so hot under all that heavy metal, alot of ponies believe soldiers have it easy, but id like to see them try and wear this stuff, it weighs almost 70 pounds."

chrys giggled, "i know, i tried wearing it once, damn near broke my back."

midnight smiled again "your....." he sighed and looked down, "well, you, did before you were killed, the same happened, tried on my armor, and well, lets just say you couldnt get to your hooves without my help."

she sighed, "midnight, c-could you tell me about her?"

midnight looked over a curious look in his eye, "nova never told you?"

she shook her head, "just that my purpose is to distract you, and honestly i have the feeling thats not working."

midnight shook his head with a small smiled, "well....alright...i have some time."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"You mean you fell in love with Tyrannus?" Indigo asked her, surprised.

"You sound shocked."

"...I admit I don't see the appeal, so-"

Shiri interrupted him "He was a rugged general who came to a damsel's rescue, then invited her into his personal guard so they could go save the world. Is it really far-fetched for a mare to develop a bit of a crush on him?"

Indigo blinked.

Shiri growled "Oh, don't give me that look! It was nothing like that! I only got interested in him long after I joined his guard and I traveled with him a long time."

"The stallion's like 50 years old."

Shiri had to keep her from facehoofing. After a pause, she spoke again. "Ugh. Normally I'm not into older men, but Tyrannus was different."

"Different?" Indigo sounded skeptical. "Different how? He was a dicatator."

"He was our savior, he saved me, he-"

"You know he was going to execute you, right?"

"I..." Shiri was at a loss for words.

"I entered the throne room immediately after Tyrannus sent you to the dungeon. I was in disguise." Indigo explained.

"So that was you..." Shiri muttered.

"He said he was going to execute you. Both he and Nova agreed you too much about their plans, and you outlived your usefulness once Nova arrived in Chiroptera in person. You were going to go to the gallows the following night."

"Sic Semper was..." Shiri muttered again, before going quiet.

"Shiri, I grew up under Sic Semper's rule. The stallion's a despot! We lived in poverty, crime was rampant, and the streets were filled with war orphans and homeless. Anypony who dared condemn him for our lot in life were put to the sword, and anypony who dared call for opposition against him faced the cross."

"Grr..."

"Yes. And that was just the minority. The rest of us he controlled with propaganda, and Sule had to deal with the result of that for six months, until you guys came along." Indigo shook his head. "We didn't have a choice, really, everypony was poor and uneducated; Sule's official investigation after he took power even concluded that more half of our population is illiterate, and that's not counting all the farmers and ranchers who live outside the city walls. I know you earth ponies may see him as a hero, but that's nowhere near the truth. The fact is: Tyrannus is a monster."

"No..." Shiri muttered.

"I could tell you all about the taxes and economic mismanagement if you'd like. I could go on for hours."

"Just-just shut up..."

Indigo reached his hoof through the bars and rested it on Shiri's shoulder.

"Shiri. You know I'm right. You were with him and Nova for seven days after you overthrew us, and now you're not under their brainwashing anymore. Is he still the hero you thought he was?"

Shiri turned her head away from Indigo, and her hood obscured her from him entirely. She was quiet for a long moment, until she finally spoke up "...it wasn't supposed to be like this."

"Shiri?" Indigo asked, concerned.

"This isn't what I wanted at all. I only wanted to help ponies, but Sic Semper, he..." Her voice started to choke "Indigo, after you and Sule left, a group rose to oppose him. He...he put them all to the sword. He's building up the military again, putting all the mares and foals to work, so he can resume the damn war with the Pegasai, so he can do all this to them, too." Shiri said, her voice shaking. Indigo listened solemnly, and Shiri looked at him with tears in her eyes. "But he isn't interested in saving anypony at all. All he wants is power, power over everypony. Gods, he isn't the hero who saved us at all. And...and Nova's helping him."

"I don't think this hero existed at all. He's a cunning strategist, that's the only positive thing I'll ever say about him; either he was playing nice to get earth pony support, or he just happens to be nicer to his personal guards for some reason." Indigo commented.

Shiri stared at the floor. "He doesn't even remember who I am, or if he does, he doesn't care. I'm just a diamond dog to him. 'Shiri, do this.' 'Shiri, kill that.' 'Shiri, put this on and do a little dance.' Gods, I've seen his boasts. He views the entire world as his playground, and everything exists only to serve him." She sighed despondantly. "And I brought him back to life."

"And we are going to stop him." Indigo declared, without missing a beat.

"You really think you'll be able to save the world?" Shiri asked him bluntly.

"No. But I said it before. I am NOT going to let that madpony rape the world again without a fight. If we all die, so be it. If Tyrannus succeeds in taking over all the tribes, then this world wasn't worth living in anyway." Indigo told her, and Shiri raised her eyebrow.

After a pause, when Indigo and Shiri's mugs were empty, Indigo stood up. Shiri thought Indigo was going to go get a refill, but to her surprise, he instead walked to her cell's gate. Indigo, however, froze, as he put a lot of thought into what he was about to do, but after a bit he sighed, pulled a key out of his bag, and inserted it into the lock.

"What are you...?" Shiri asked as Indigo pulled the door open.

Indigo looked tired, but he still spoke. "Shiri," he said, "You and I have the same goals, and you and I know that Tyrannus will stop at nothing to conquer the other tribes, and that the war that took both of our families is going to happen again to countless more ponies." Indigo paused for effect. "...unless Tyrannus is stopped, and we will die to make sure that happens." Indigo closed his eyes for a moment, as he reconsidered what he was about to say next, but opened them again. "Shiri, we could use your help."

Shiri stood up and approached Indigo. "I joined Tyrannus and I joined Nova, and now you're asking me to join you, is that it?"

Indigo paused. When she said it like that, it did sound pretty-

Indigo didn't have time to finish that thought when Shiri suddenly dropped into a flurry of movement and lunged at him. Before he could register that Shiri moved, he found his legs swept out from under him, before a mass of blue fur entered his vision and the world spun around him as he was thrown through the air. Indigo shouted pain when he suddenly landed hard on his back, and looked up when he heard the sound of a gate slam shut.

Indigo rolled to a sitting position and looked around. He was now inside the cell, and the the cell door was shut and locked. And Shiri was standing on the other side, the key in her teeth.

"How did you-" Indigo stammered.

"Oh, did I forget to mention that I was in Tyrannus's guard for a good reason? I'm much more than just a guide." Shiri told him. "You're such an idiot, you know." She said, "You know now there's not a whole lot stopping me from sneaking out of this camp and going back to Chiroptera."

Indigo stared at her in horror.

Shiri tilted her head. "But luckily for you..." she said, as she put the key back into the lock. "...that you're right, about everything. The world is better off without ponies like Tyrannus. And I got those poor ponies killed, and now I need to atone for that too." Shiri pulled the gate open and extended her hoof to Indigo. "This little rebellion of yours? Count me in."

Indigo smiled and took her hoof, and Shiri helped him up.

Edited by Jadefizoid
  • Brohoof 1

midnight sighed, "chrys...i.."

chrys shook her head, "you know im right, with these super soldiers sule and whatevers left isnt going to be enough to stop them,"

midnight shook his head "sule is smart chrys,"

chrys smiled, "that is true, but i dont think hes smarter then nova."

she sighed, "midnight, if things go south...." she slowly put a hoof on his "if somehow that idiot sule DOES take back the castle, come with us, me and nova, nova has more than one plan."

midnight looked over at her, he looked back down, "i-i dont know, i mean....."

she shook her head, "midnight, were the same, and you wouldnt abandon your wife would you?"

midnight shook his head, "w-well n-no."

she smiled and got in front of him raising his head to meet her eyes, "see, all you have to do is come with me and nova, we can put this all behind us."

midnight stammered "e-excuse me......"

he galloped out of there as fast as possible, he needed to clear his head, and talk to the one pony he could trust around here.

he found the secluded pond he used to go too when he was younger, he sat there looking at his reflection, before his hooves glowed and chrys appeared, "sorry to bother you dear."

she shook her head and smiled, "no no, you can bother me any time, within reason."

she then frowned, "its about this clone of me, isnt it?"

midnight nodded, "i-i dont know what to think anymore."

chrys shook her head, "midnight, calm down, i know that your feeling conflicted, it is me in everything but memory, but your mind tells you im dead." she sighed, "go with your gut, then dont give up on that feeling, but to give you a nudge, which side is right?"

her image started to fade as midnights magic got weaker, "dont forget midnight, i love you."

midnight swallowed "who do i think is right? whats that supposed to mean?"

• Brohoof 1

"I'm sorry, sire, We don't have any more cider." Said the pony in the mess tent.

"You're kidding, right?"

"No, sorry. We have a couple of kegs of mead, if you want."

"No thanks, I should probably be going to sleep anyway"

Sule left the mess tent, feeling somewhat disappointed. Just then, one of the Equestrian soldiers came to him.

"Sir, one of the officers wanted me to inform you that we are on schedule with the preparation for the invasion. We will most likely be ready on time."

"Thank you for the good news"

Sule went on his way back to his tent, but passed by Indigo's on his way there. He was decided to go check up on how he was doing with the prisoner.

When he walked in, he saw that Shiri was outside of the cage and and they were talking.

"Gah! Indigo, What the hay is going on!?"

midnight looked at the pond, "who is the right side huh?"

he turned and moved back towards the castle looking up at the moon, "the attack should be happening in a few hours....."

when he entered he made his way to the prision, as tyrannus was just leaving.

"oh, midnight gonna have some fun of your own?"

midnight hid his wince, "yes sire."

tyrannus smirked, "have fun."

midnight waved the guards away and entered the cell, "you two alright?"

when neither of them answered, midnight sighed and leaned closer, whispering, "clover, sule is coming for you, alright? and hes got a surprise for tyrannus."

he then looked between both of them, still keeping his voice low "ill get you both out of here before the attack starts, but you need to do everything i say, got it?"

• Brohoof 1

Indigo smirked. "Sir, you might be pleased to meet our newest ally against Tyrannus." Indigo raised his hoof towards Shiri. "Sule, Shiri. Shiri, Sule." Indigo introduced them, as he did the appropriate hoof motions.

Shiri averted her eyes. "Yeah, I know who he is." she grumbled.

"Yeah, except this time we're all allies now." Indigo said, rolling his eyes. "Now, are we all gonna be able to get along like good little kids?" Indigo smirked and looked at Sule, only for his smirk to fade when he saw the death glare Sule had leveled right at him, indicating that the new alliance isn't going to be that simple.

"Indigo, may I have word with you, outside?" asked Sule, keeping his eyes on Shiri.

Outside the tent, Sule gave Indigo an angry look.

"What sort of love spell has she put you under? She is the one the brought Tyrannus back to life! And now your saying she is on our side? She may have been under mind control, but she still wanted it, otherwise it wouldn't have worked."

"A: She's an earth pony, and B: I know that. Some of the Earth Pony tribes see Tyrannus as some sort of hero thanks to his war with the pegasai back before you took power, and Shiri believed in this too. She didn't see his true self until long after Nova mind-controlled her." Indigo answered.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Oh come on, your eyes went all 'googly' when you where looking at her. I wouldn't be surprised if she seduced you and said kind things to get your sympathy! I figured your mind was stronger that that!"

Sule turned around so he couldn't see Indigo's face. He immediately regretted what he said. He was just still angry at Shiri for what she said to him. Sule needed to get over that childish grudge, and looked Indigo in the eye.

"Just, how do you know we can trust her?"

Edited by AnonyZiod
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

(OOC Sule is somewhat annoyed that his Ancient trusts a manipulative pony, but he also is still angry with Shiri)

"...That's what I thought." Said Sule, who actually thought Indigo had an answer. "What did she say in your...'interrogation', if that's what you were really doing"

Edited by AnonyZiod

Indigo's eye twinged, before he got angry. "Of course that's what I was doing! What the hell do you think I was doing? Sule, you saying you really think I'd just dive into an enemy femme fatale's forelegs, just like that!?"

Shiri poked her head out of the tent's flap. "In his defense, you did keep me in my very own cage in your personal tent, all to yourself."

"Grk!" Indigo choked, and his face flushed as he suddenly realized what it must've looked like to Sule and the others. "N-no! I wasn't...it wasn't like that, I just thought...I...Gah, shut up!" he stammered, flustered.

• Brohoof 1

midnight nodded, "we have about a day before the actual invasion will start, so lets go over the plans one more time hmm?"

he looked between them, "i will get rid of the guards, sleeping spell, its easy enough, now, theres a back way that will lead into the training yards."

he looked each of them in the eye, "follow me and i can lead you to a place you can hide until sules soldiers make it," he looked at clover "give them your name, then they will know what to do with you."

he winked at storm, "youll be out of here soon enough, i promise."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

(OOC: no MLP tale is complete with out a Cutie Mark story)

"I will leave you two... alone for now... for your interrogation" Sule knew that Indigo wasn't like that, at least not the Indigo he knew. He was way to focused on his job than to mess around with a mare. Neither of them were themselves tonight, and the stress of their situation was getting to them, or at least it was for Sule. They just needed time to cool off. "Just give me a report of what you found out later."

Sule left for his tent, but decided to go somewhere else to think things over. He flew off and landed on a cliff that overlooked the camp.

He could see, in a way, his hoof-work. He could see thousands of ponies drilling, getting ready for the attack. There were large mounds of dirt where the Tunnelers started. They were probably halfway to Chiroptera by now.

The city was not visible from here, but you could see the fumes of smoke from the factories. As much as ponies hated those factories, Sule didn't tear them down. Not only were they the backbone of whatever was left of the Malumai economy, but Sule had a... personal attachment to them.

He was raised in a factory. He never knew his parents, but he couldn't say it bothered him. The factory workers were his family. They said they just found him one day, in the trash heap. It wasn't uncommon for families to throw out foals that they couldn't take care of, and most of those foals join the gangs. Sule was lucky. He was found by one of the workers and taken to the factory. He lived with them and helped out by getting their tools. He had always liked to take things apart and put them back together. Once, one of the machines broke, and no pony was small enough to fit in it. Sule was still a little colt, and he volunteered to help out. They said no. The job was too dangerous and they cared about him too much. Sule knew they would lose their jobs and would have to live on the streets if they couldn't get the machine running, so Sule took some tools and climbed into it without anypony looking. Sule knew what he was doing, and after several minutes of tightening screws and realigning gears, the machine revved up again. But then his work space began to shrink as spinning gears came closer to him. He got out in the nick of time with just a few scratches. The workers came back to see what was going on. They looked at the now working machine, and then at Sule.

"Sule," said one of the workers, "did... you fix that?"

Sule was scared that they were angry with him for not listening to them, "I... I was afraid that you would lose your jobs if the machines stopped working, so I fixed them... I'm sorry..."

"Sorry? Why?" laughed one of the bigger workers, "You just saved our asses! Speaking of which, take a look at your's"

"Wha..." Sule looked at his flank and saw a Cutie Mark had appeared. It was a big gear, which symbolized his ability with tinkering and inventions.

He could remember the biggest party ever because of that. The factory workers pooled their earnings for week to pay for a cake, not like the hard, stale kind or the moldy half-eaten kinds that were thrown out by the aristocrats, but a real cake. To this day it was the greatest thing he had ever tasted.

Sule laughed a little. In hindsight, that little stunt he pulled was not a good idea, but he didn't care, those workers loved and helped in his entire life and he has glad to help them back.

I wonder what they think of me now

Sule was still looking out at the dark smoke in the horizon. Most Malumai had horrible foalhoods, filled with crime, death, and despair, but Sule could honestly look back in his memories and feel happiness. The workers, his real family, tried to protect him from that life so his memories would not be filled with the same pain they felt growing up. That is why he wanted the Malumai to go to Equestria, so their posterity would have feel the same way about their childhood, their lives.

That is why he became Archon.

Edited by AnonyZiod
  • Brohoof 1

**20 miles from Chiropreta**

Night Flash was sipping a cup of rum as he was sitting in the mess hall. The army had yet again, camped. Night Flash was getting extremely impatient.

''It took me only one day to get here while you people are taking days!'' said a grumpy Night Flash. His mood was already bad after he had lost his mentor, now he was getting on the edge of anger.

''But Sir, you're one of the fastest flyers in Equestria! A lot of us are earth ponies and unicorns, you can't possibly expect us to keep the same pace as your's!'' said one of the generals sitting at the table.

''That maybe true...but I want to be there as soon as possible!'' said Night Flash, who was getting close to shouting.

''Well, why don't you just fly ahead, Sir?'' said Wind Blast, who was the same pony who had informed him of Hurricane's death.

Night Flash thought for a moment and then spoke up.

''Done. I'm going now, tell the blacksmith to give me my armour and polish my sword. I'm leaving in an hour.'' said Night Flash, who was eager to cut off Tyrannus's head.

''But it's midnight!'' said Wind Blast.

''You don't say....'' said Night Flash sarcastically as he left the tent.

(edited)

Indigo walked back into his tent, his face still red. Shiri came up beside him and smirked. "Heh, you're cute when you're flustered."

Indigo dropped his head. "Yeah. Was that comment back there really necessary?"

"Of course. You two are way too serious." Shiri answered him, matter-of-factly.

Indigo looked at her tiredly. "In case you haven't noticed, the battle to decide our fate as a species is about to occur."

"That's my point. You two really need to loosen up before this battle happens, or the stress is gonna kill ya."

Indigo dropped onto his cot. "I've tried loosening up already. I only got a hangover and I'm still miserable."

Shiri sat down next to Indigo. "Well, what do you malumai do for fun, anyway?" Indigo looked at her, and she quickly clarified, "OTHER than drink until you can't feel feelings anymore."

Indigo lowered his eyelids, "What is this 'fun' you speak of?"

Shiri rolled her eyes. "Very funny. At least you have a sense of humor." At this, Indigo grumbled and rolled over. "Oh, are you always gonna be like that?" Shiri asked, faux-annoyed.

Indigo huffed. "Sule doesn't trust you, and now he doesn't trust me because I trust you. And frankly, I'm not even sure why I trust you." Indigo shook his head. "And with this battle coming up that it may or may not even matter if we win, I've just got a lot on my mind."

Shiri shook her head. "Hey, if it's really that important to you what your coltfriend Sule thinks of you, then I know-"

Shiri was interrupted by Indigo suddenly jumping to his hooves. "Sule is NOT my coltfriend!"

Shiri giggled. "Heh, you're cute when you're being defensive."

"I AM NOT BEING DEFFENSIVE!" Indigo shouted, defensively.

Shiri giggled again at Indigo's expense, before speaking again. "Heh heh. Anyway, as I was saying, I know what'll cheer Sule up."

Indigo lowered his eyelids again "And what would that be?"

"The weakness of Nova's super soldiers."

Indigo raised his eyebrows, "Wait, what?"

Edited by Jadefizoid
  • Brohoof 1

Sule teared up looking at the black smoke. He enjoyed the silence, thinking about his foalhood.

He was about to drift off asleep again, when he heard a loud whooshing sound behind him. Sule turned around to see the Night Flash there.

"Commander, why here so early?"

(OOC TAO, explain.)

"Their weakness. The super soldiers are going to be too strong for you, so you're going to need to exploit a weakness in order to beat them." Shiri said.

"Then what's their weakness?"

Shiri gestured her hoof to her head. "Their brains. The soldiers some sort of mash-up of pony, buffalo, and this strange bug/pony creature Nova encountered in a far off desert, but apparently their minds didn't survive being merged, so their minds are all broken and damaged. Nova didn't have enough time to figure out how to fix it, so there's only one to control them."

Indigo blinked. "You mean..."

"Yeah," Shiri said, "mind-control. And you ponies somehow figured out how to remove the mind-control from me, so-"

"-so if we dispel the mind-control off of the super soldiers, then that means ...what, exactly?"

Shiri shrugged. "I dunno. They might die, or go berserk, or just completely refuse to move."

"Like they've gone catatonic?" Indigo asked.

"...I don't know what that means, but probably. Either way, each soldier who's released will be completely broken."

"And that means the soldier will no longer be a war asset to Tyrannus." Indigo smiled. "Thanks. That information will definately come in handy." Indigo paused. "...if it's true."

"If you need me to prove I'm trustworthy, have Sule send a recon team to kidnap a super-soldier and test it on him yourself."

"We can't risk being discovered, but we'll see." Indigo replied.

Shiri smirked. "Good. I'm sure you have a lot of work to do. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get some more of that cider. That stuff was good." With this, Shiri briefly nuzzled Indigo, and walked to the tent flap. Indigo's face flushed, and he quickly found his body heat rising.

After a moment, Indigo quickly spoke up., "W-wait, hold on." Shiri stopped. "Let me give me a-a report to Sule, and I'll go with you." Indigo blushed, "I mean, um, if somepony s-sees you walking around, they, they might think you're a, a, um-, t-trying to" Godsdammit, why is my heart pounding?

Shiri chuckled, and showed mercy. "Ok, I get it. I'll go with you to report to Sule, and then you'll show me where the drinks are."

Indigo smiled awkwardly, and went with Shiri out of the tent to go to Sule.

• Brohoof 1

(OOC Sorry TAO, but we don't have time to wait. 300 waits!)

Night Flash told Sule that the Equestrian Army was very close, but would not be there in time before the invasion.

Sule sighed, "When is the fastest you can get here?"

"Probably in around 30 hours if we can move fast enough."

It looks like you may be late. Hopefully you can reinforce us in the battle if you make it.

Night Flash nodded, and flew down to the camp, Most likely so go drink.

Sule followed suit, he needed to get to his tent to see Indigo's report... and to say sorry to him.

*** In Sule's Tent ***

Sule tinkering with a watch when Indigo came in.

"Oh, hello Indigo, did you come to bring the report?"

Indigo nodded, and Shiri walked in.

"Oh if it isn't the priso - I mean, ally - I mean, friend - I mean..."

"You can just call me Shiri"

"Uh... Right." Sule got up and looked at Indigo in the eye. "Listen, I really sorry about accusing you back their. You're my Ancient, and I trust your opinion. If you say we can trust Shiri, I am willing to give her a chance."

Sule sat back down. "Now, what did you learn?"