Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did Tirek wind up with the Rainbow of Darkness?

ManaMinori

yeah, that's never really explained, in g1, and something that I never really thought of until now. Fortunately, I made my own theory on it, which is tied into my newest OC over here:

But how do you guys think Tirek managed to get his hands on the Rainbow of Darkness?

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Khoufu said:

I bet he got it from a mysterious salesman,  like oh so many enchanted items in shows like this.

To be completely fair, that's probably not far out of the realm of being realistic. There's only two three kinds of people who go looking for things like that (in fantasy or reality). If you're Indiana Daring Jones Do, you're in it for the science and probably just want to get it to a museum for the preservation of history and heritage. If not, you're looking for power... of some kind. In the form of money, you're getting the thing just so you can sell it. Or you're Trixie and you want to unlock its potential for yourself.

Tirek is practically a god though so he has a lot of experience. He probably knows a few things that predate recorded history. Whether or not that means he SHOULD have known about the Elements, that's another story. If he had looked at a few more of the stained glass windows, no way would he have traded Twilight's friends for her magic. Yeesh.

It's one of those things I think deserved an explanation given that him just 'having it' makes no sense and lessens the overall effect. Maybe he forged the rainbow of darkness by using forbidden magic?

• Brohoof 1

That's actually a common problem in 'real' mythology. These magic artifacts running around with mysterious origins... that you would have known about if you just happened to know this *other* story that is much, much older and where the artifact had a different name, or description, or something. (For example: Perseus' Helm of Invisibility, which he got from Athena, who got it from Hermes, who stole it from Hades... and probably made by Hephaestus? since *everything* was made by Hephaestus supposedly... and could be a military helm, or a hat, or even just a headcloth, depending on the particular story.)

Given the naming convention 'Rainbow of Darkness'/'Rainbow of Light'... I always assumed it was a two-sided coin issue. If something created the Rainbow of Light, the Rainbow of Darkness was either a byproduct or spontaneously manifested due to balance. It ending up in Tirek's hands because evil tends to clump together or something. Like cat litter.

• Brohoof 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 11:31 AM, Fhaolan said:

That's actually a common problem in 'real' mythology. These magic artifacts running around with mysterious origins... that you would have known about if you just happened to know this *other* story that is much, much older and where the artifact had a different name, or description, or something. (For example: Perseus' Helm of Invisibility, which he got from Athena, who got it from Hermes, who stole it from Hades... and probably made by Hephaestus? since *everything* was made by Hephaestus supposedly... and could be a military helm, or a hat, or even just a headcloth, depending on the particular story.)

Given the naming convention 'Rainbow of Darkness'/'Rainbow of Light'... I always assumed it was a two-sided coin issue. If something created the Rainbow of Light, the Rainbow of Darkness was either a byproduct or spontaneously manifested due to balance. It ending up in Tirek's hands because evil tends to clump together or something. Like cat litter.

wat:umad:

31 minutes ago, derpyluver said:

wat:umad:

Oh yes, Evil sticks to things. A mix of ketchup and club soda will clean it right up, providing you haven't let it sit too long. Evil stains, you see.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:44 PM, Fhaolan said:

Oh yes, Evil sticks to things. A mix of ketchup and club soda will clean it right up, providing you haven't let it sit too long. Evil stains, you see.

Just don't mix up the shampoo and remover potions.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Given how the Rainbow of Light was much smaller than the Rainbow of Darkness but then gt a lot bigger after eating it, I figured that at some point some bad guy (maybe Tirek, maybe not - Dream Valley was never short of them) had managed to seize and corrupt most of it when it was used against them.

• 1 month later...

So, seeing more of this, it seems just as much of a mystery, Moochick having the Rainbow of Light. Aside from being (sort of) a Leprechaun, and they're associated with rainbows, it's not really explained. Not that he'd remember how he got it anyway, but still.

Maybe these things were willed into being similar to the talismans of the Pillars?