private Deep Science 1x1 with Blitz Boom

Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

"I wasn't planning on really doing anything to her grave. She asked me to help her along, and I know she's moved on to other fields now. Visiting her grave and say a small prayer is just... It's kind of a tradition. My hope that they're at peace, and letting 'em know that they haven't been forgotten. I tend to do that with those I can't save. Especially I had to personally give them peace. I owe them that much at least."

In another world, Null could have been a figurehead of Mercy. She had it in her, to be kind, and care of others. To show them even the final mercy that one could, as much as it often pained her to do so, because it was sometimes the kindest thing you could do for another soul. But life had not led her down this direction, and now, the closest she were to mercy, were these acts of remembrance, and the kindness that were cutting down those who suffered, and wanted to die. It were one of many small things, that sometimes helped to keep her sane, that eventually had turned into routine.

She would still though, go and carve a symbol into the gravestone. It were small, and she doubted that Grey Mare even knew the meaning of it. A little something she had picked up in the east many years back, that were essentially a wish for a prosperous afterlife. She liked the wavy way that it looked, and the sentiment behind it, so she had taken to do this at times. Not as much as she always wanted, but they could not always stay near bodies for long enough to even bury them.

She'd go back to discuss the matter of work after that. It seemed the pleasantries with her sister might have passed, though at the least, she counted this as them bonding in some minute fashion, even if it were over some minor tidbits, over a grave.

"Now then, Ninja sounds like he's right where Mongoose wanted him, and it benefits you too, so that's good. That guy knows how to do harm, and that can be a real asset sometimes.

But yeah, my worry's more about Basher. I wanna know what's his fate is, and what his journey's gonna look like.

Back at the gate, there were a moment, just like there were when he were fighting Ardee. A glimmer of someone that had a life full of regrets, and didn't want this for himself, or others. Dunno, might sound weird, but I get the feeling there's still some hope for him, and I'd rather not learn that I just dragged him into the hooves of someone who could give him a path, that in turned had him flayed or something. Remember, I'm still new at this. I don't know what to expect for judgements on everything, but I do wanna hope that there's some that ain't completely irredeemable. Y'know, some that can work it off through penance and all that.

I'd like to think you're not cruel, lest you have to be though. But I'm paranoid by nature. Hard not to question things sometimes."

Grey Mare had gone through a lot, but Void didn't forget the mare she had spoken to before all of this. She seemed kind, and she'd like to think that at her core, Grey Mare still were, and judged fairly, rather than harshly. It gave her some hope that there were still a mare to save under this burden that had been placed on her shoulders. One that she yet hoped she would one day find an answer for. Some way to purge their family line of it, and not condemn Grey Mare to the cycle of grief and death by her own children.

==========================================================================

(Ardee)

They had a small room to pass here, to get to the back room that served as the doctor's room. A soft light shone from it, and yet the main room here laid clad in complete darkness. The only thing providing some light, being this other room, as they wandered a clear path through the silent place.

"If you see something move in the shadows, try and ignore it. He is calmer in pitch blackness."

"Yeah, with some luck, you won't notice a thing. Just in, have a little remedy, and out before you know it. Simple that, yeah?"

Unless she made some loud noises, or acted aggressively towards Mystril, Ardee would get through this room just fine. No movement, breathing, or trying to poke her. Just a nice calmness, and they'd get to the other room. And in there, Mystril would get to work quickly, though her expression of hopelessness did not waver from her face as she worked on applying the cold, green salve to Ardee's wings and joints, then carefully helped to set the wings in close, and pulled out a few pieces of wood from her closet. Seemed like elongated, thicker ice pop sticks, which were more or less the idea she had formed them from. It were a rather solid form for this sort of thing, and helped her well in adding the splints to her wings, to make sure they stayed in the right position, and weren't possible to stretch out or move. At which point she'd add the gauze, and wrap her wings properly to her body. Not so tight that she felt pain, or had trouble breathing, but tight enough to where her wings weren't possible to move around. At best she'd manage a weak shuffle, and even that were debatable.

"And we're done. The gauze can be reused a few times, long as you keep it clean, but you will need to unwrap yourself enough to apply the salve at the points where I did, roughly every eight hours. It will ease the pain, and if you make sure not to try and strain them again, you should feel completely fine within the week. This jar should cover it."

She'd give Ardee the rest of the jar, lid now screwed on, as well as an extra roll of gauze, about the length needed to cover her again. A bit longer, but better than too short, yeah?

She'd also pull out a few papers and scribble down some details on it, before turning it to Ardee. It would turn out to be a form, basically going over what stuff she had used, and why. There were a blank spot near the bottom, for a signature.

"Could you sign here, please? It is just so I can have the stuff I used reimbursed."

She would sometimes take a price for things, if the ones she helped seemed like they could afford it, but mostly she just got her stuff reimbursed, if she helped hotel guests, and made a bit on the side selling her own home made medicine to a few places. It wasn't much, but it kept her afloat, and meant she still helped some. Much as she felt bereft of hope, she still had the want to save lives if she could, despite her having a harder time feeling much joy over things, as the days went on.

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2024-07-13 at 3:53 PM, Blitz Boom said:

Back at the gate, there were a moment, just like there were when he were fighting Ardee. A glimmer of someone that had a life full of regrets, and didn't want this for himself, or others. Dunno, might sound weird, but I get the feeling there's still some hope for him, and I'd rather not learn that I just dragged him into the hooves of someone who could give him a path, that in turned had him flayed or something. Remember, I'm still new at this. I don't know what to expect for judgements on everything, but I do wanna hope that there's some that ain't completely irredeemable. Y'know, some that can work it off through penance and all that.

I'd like to think you're not cruel, lest you have to be though. But I'm paranoid by nature. Hard not to question things sometimes."

Grey Mare looked thoughtful before nodding, "Well, you'll have to remember that he is old, I know he looked young before, but that's because of all the minostralium he had running through him. I'm not about to keep feeding that dependency though. So he's back to being his proper 60 year old self, which does limit his abilities when it comes to service. That is not to say we're just planning to execute him, but I doubt he'll repay all of his debts before he inevitably dies of old age, or gets himself killed trying to pull off an old stunt. The plan at the moment will be to have him convince the rest of his gang to fall in line. Then, maybe use him as an instructor for those entering the ranks of the Gray. Even as old as he is now, there's a lot of combat knowledge that can be passed on. He'll be at the Hall if you want to talk to him, provided he's willing to talk to you."

She turned her attention back to Null more specifically. "That being said, you two are owed your bounties. And that will need to be done at the Hall. We can go there now or whenever is convenient, the judges can do it if I'm not available when you come. By my count, you two should be free and clear of debt at this point."

(Ardee)

Throughout the process, Ardee was as cooperative as a posable ponequin, and twice as motionless. Even when moving her wings caused her obvious pain, she did no more than wince, not once making a sound.

"And we're done. The gauze can be reused a few times, long as you keep it clean, but you will need to unwrap yourself enough to apply the salve at the points where I did, roughly every eight hours. It will ease the pain, and if you make sure not to try and strain them again, you should feel completely fine within the week. This jar should cover it."

She would have to just put the items on her back, as Ardee didn't have another way to carry them at the moment.

"Could you sign here, please? It is just so I can have the stuff I used reimbursed."

This was something new to Ardee, new enough that it shook her out of the mental lockdown she had entered. If she were presented with a writing implement she would accept it wordlessly and go to sign. She would write the R before stopping for a moment. A shudder went through her, then she continued,

Ranger Delta.

Seeing it written down seemed to change something inside her, like she was awake now. She passed back the implement and nodded, softly saying, "Thank you" before turning to leave the room without another word.

She'd wait outside for the kitsune to join her, looking like she felt far more relaxed now than she had going into this experience.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null))

"60, huh? I hadn't figured him for that old. Still, I hope he lives long enough to get his second chance, and doesn't mess it up.

If he's valuable to you though, try and consider your stance on minostralum someday maybe. Keeping him alive might be useful at some point, if he turns out to be a good instructor. Long as his leash is short, I've heard worse ideas than to ponder options.

*sigh* I'm starting to sound like Void... I dunno why. Even after all this, I keep thinking there's a narrow chance for him, to avoid the pit, long as he keeps it straight. Can't imagine it's somewhere he'd be thrilled to go back to."

She did have two feathers on her. If Grey Mare asked for one or both of them to have as options, or tools at the ready, she'd give them to her. Ardee already had the one she needed for her pet, more or less. A half feather off wouldn't be the end of her plans for it probably. Though they'd see what happened here.

"But I'm done here. We can go to the hall now, and get things moving. Gives me a chance to see how he's doing, and see if I can't shake some sense into him, if he's being stubborn."

If she led the way, Null would follow, but if she just did her vanishing act again, she still knew where to go. It shouldn't take long either way, before they were there, and could get things here in motion. Though if they were walking together, she would ask out of curiosity, what his debt were at. She assumed some 200 years or something like it.

=======================================================================

(Ardee)

Mystril would walk with them, setting the note aside. It wasn't so much important that the name were real or fake to her. Who would honestly run a background check anyway? It were about names not repeating for no reason, and writing styles more than anything, though they did cross reference to the guest list. That handled around two thirds of the ones that came for her, so that helped to verify the concurrent visitors.

As they left the dark room, the movement in there began in more honest, and this time, they would finally see something. Rising above Mystril, would open two pale eyes in the dark. Griffon in nature, and glaring down at them. Despite the lack of pupils, one could tell the gaze were focused on them, and then suddenly on the right side of the doorframe, would come an arm out. One befitting a shape roughly twice the size of the female griffon, but completely pitch black, and oozing. As if it were made of the darkness in the room itself.

She did not need to see it, as she heard the impact well. So with misery on her face, and a tear rolling down from her left eye, she would close her eyes, wander a few steps back, and close the door behind her, lest Ardee had something to say. If she did not, her companion sure did. Though considering her response to him earlier, Kozue might need to chase her down first, which he'd do, and wait for her to be ready to listen. His chat would be pretty much the same regardless.

(This only happens if she says nothing. If she tries asking things, or stays speaking in general - even with an outburst and fear on her face - the door would remain open, and Mystril will respond in the next post, without stepping back)

"So... You probably have questions about that, yeah? Long story very short, she's haunted by the spirit of her uncle. Real hero type, always kept her safe, y'know? Seemed death didn't stop that, but it makes her miserable, and she just wants him to move on. So far, no necromancers or the like to handle that sorta thing, so she's having it rough. He were probably not gonna hurt you though."

It was a right horrid situation to be in. Sure it were constant company, but he had been as a father to her, and now she needed to not only live with the memory of him dying, but have his spirit latched unto her, and refusing to move on. Or maybe he didn't know how. He were erratic. Sometimes incredibly violent over nothing.

He probably had good intentions in wanting to keep her safe, but all it did were making her alone, and miserable. Frankly he hadn't heard anyone say they'd see her smile even once, since coming to town. And he had been asking around.

*sigh* Where he came from, they had some who could help deal with spirits, but his home were gone, and he were not studied in those arts, so he were no hep to her. Though he hoped one would be around to free her eventually. Or well, him specifically. She wouldn't have a life, until he finally moved on for other pastures.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2024-07-18 at 3:32 PM, Blitz Boom said:

If he's valuable to you though, try and consider your stance on minostralum someday maybe. Keeping him alive might be useful at some point, if he turns out to be a good instructor. Long as his leash is short, I've heard worse ideas than to ponder options.

Grey Mare raised an eyebrow at that, "No one is that valuable. Even before everything happened it would be cheaper to feed him cloud diamond than give him enough Minostralium to keep him alive. Besides, it doesn't technically extend your lifespan, it just makes you younger for as long as you keep taking it, and how much younger depends on how much you take."

She did have two feathers on her. If Grey Mare asked for one or both of them to have as options, or tools at the ready, she'd give them to her. Ardee already had the one she needed for her pet, more or less. A half feather off wouldn't be the end of her plans for it probably. Though they'd see what happened here.

Nine would interject, "The two in your wing are necessary for you to do anything more than glide. The two we just got are Ardee's to do with what she will, it wouldn't be right to give them away without asking her first." (Then Ardee has the one she took during the fight, and Basher has the last one on him. I don't remember if any other feathers were taken at another point? By weight, the coins she got from Cabin are more Minostralium than in the feathers.)

"But I'm done here. We can go to the hall now, and get things moving. Gives me a chance to see how he's doing, and see if I can't shake some sense into him, if he's being stubborn."

If she led the way, Null would follow, but if she just did her vanishing act again, she still knew where to go. It shouldn't take long either way, before they were there, and could get things here in motion. Though if they were walking together, she would ask out of curiosity, what his debt were at. She assumed some 200 years or something like it.

Grey Mare nodded, then motioned with her wing towards a nearby shaded wall, the shadow growing much darker, "After you, if you want a short cut."

If Null agreed to pass through the shadow, she'd find herself in the Citadel. The shadow itself felt cold to pass through, but the feeling passed once she was all the way through, and Arcade would follow.

If she refused, Grey would shrug, "Suit yourself," before disappearing into her own shadow, leaving Null and Arcade to walk the distance.

Once they were at the Citadel, Grey Mare would lead them to Basher's cell, where they would be able to speak to him through a small window. His dyed coat had been washed out, returning him to his original color and mark, but his age was once again apparent. His wings were bound, similar to how Ardee's were. He was bouncing a baseball against the far wall of his cell.

On the door to his cell was a marker: Vivace 'Basher' Fleur. Debt: 700 years.

He snorted when they approached, but didn't turn to face them or lose tempo with his ball, "Come to gloat already? I at least waited a few weeks before I went back for that Armor colt we let live."

(Ardee)

(I guess Ardee deciding on a new name is less impactful here when those around her don't really know her.)

Ardee would move out of the room much faster once she saw the darkness move, spinning to face the door once she was through it, but not asking anything until well after the door had closed, having been ready to strike if the darkness moved outside the door.

Once the door was closed, she started to calm herself.

"So... You probably have questions about that, yeah? Long story very short, she's haunted by the spirit of her uncle. Real hero type, always kept her safe, y'know? Seemed death didn't stop that, but it makes her miserable, and she just wants him to move on. So far, no necromancers or the like to handle that sorta thing, so she's having it rough. He were probably not gonna hurt you though."

She looked deeply concerned, "That can happen?"

She shuddered, "I hope Ayjay and Efs didn't get stuck like that, and left behind back there..."

She shook off that thought. "Um, yeah, let's go... anywhere else."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2024-07-22 at 12:59 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Grey Mare raised an eyebrow at that, "No one is that valuable. Even before everything happened it would be cheaper to feed him cloud diamond than give him enough Minostralium to keep him alive. Besides, it doesn't technically extend your lifespan, it just makes you younger for as long as you keep taking it, and how much younger depends on how much you take."

"That so? Huh, I weren't aware. I barely heard of the stuff and what it can do, barring the glaring example. I thought you meant it actually made you younger."

Minostralium were a weird kind of gem honestly. It could be used to make bodies, wings, make you look younger, and were so coveted, that the two coins she had of it, were probably worth enough to make her able to buy a nice house, and be somewhat comfortable for a time. And the more she heard of it, the more mysterious it got.

Perhaps at some point, Grey Mare or someone else, could sit and tell her what the stuff actually did, as well as what to do with it, in case she did run into it. Frankly, she weren't sure how it even looked unrefined, and how to find it. Were it like regular gems, and stuck in rocks? Found in volcanoes? Did it grow only out of the bones of spirited beings, and this gem were essentially crystalized soul energy? That last one were a bit of a wild guess, but she had heard of stuff similar to that before, and at this stage, she really didn't know better. Might be it manifested randomly out of thin air, or could only be created in some highly specific lab, with ridiculously rare ingredients.

Nine would interject, "The two in your wing are necessary for you to do anything more than glide. The two we just got are Ardee's to do with what she will, it wouldn't be right to give them away without asking her first." (Then Ardee has the one she took during the fight, and Basher has the last one on him. I don't remember if any other feathers were taken at another point? By weight, the coins she got from Cabin are more Minostralium than in the feathers.)

"You're right. Sorry Nine, just... Big sister instinct clouding my better judgement, y'know?"

How it had been with Void. She always gave her little sister the best food, the warmest spots where they slept, the best clothing or fur for colder climates- Heck, she even started stealing and dumpster diving, because as much as she wanted to keep her dignity, she couldn't bear to see Void go hungry or cold. The thought that Grey Mare might need these, had temporarily made that same instinct pop up for her, though Nine were completely right. The feathers were not hers to give.

Grey Mare nodded, then motioned with her wing towards a nearby shaded wall, the shadow growing much darker, "After you, if you want a short cut."

If Null agreed to pass through the shadow, she'd find herself in the Citadel. The shadow itself felt cold to pass through, but the feeling passed once she was all the way through, and Arcade would follow.

She didn't see any harm in trying, though she assumed she would be bonking her nose on the wall, and Grey Mare would have a laugh over that. Yet to her surprise the pathway as it were, actually worked. Felt a bit like wandering through cold storage, albeit briefly. Was this sorta thing a vessel of karma thing? Was it connected to the curse that Grey mare now bore? Potentially a town specific thing? She were curious, but the tour went on. Perhaps afterwards, there would be time. Unless Nine just flat out told her. It'd be appreciated honestly.

Once they were at the Citadel, Grey Mare would lead them to Basher's cell, where they would be able to speak to him through a small window. His dyed coat had been washed out, returning him to his original color and mark, but his age was once again apparent. His wings were bound, similar to how Ardee's were. He was bouncing a baseball against the far wall of his cell.

On the door to his cell was a marker: Vivace 'Basher' Fleur. Debt: 700 years.

He snorted when they approached, but didn't turn to face them or lose tempo with his ball, "Come to gloat already? I at least waited a few weeks before I went back for that Armor colt we let live."

"I'm not here to gloat, Basher. Hard as it might be for you to believe, I actually cared about what happened to your sorry flank, no matter how sore I am after yesterday."

She'd have a closer look at his sentence. 700 years... He must've slipped up something fierce in his life, to end at that level. This outta take him most of, if not all of the rest of his years to pay off. And even then, he might not properly make it in time, if he were in his 60's. He still seemed at good health, and if he kept that going, he should still last several decades. Might be enough time, if he worked for it.

"I came to talk to you, and see if you had gotten through your thick skull what's at stake here. You were there, Basher. In Tartarus. You know what that place is like, and what happens to those that carries your king of debt. And yet you got out, and then almost immediately it seems, went on to cause more trouble."

She'd push her right front hoof against the wall, next to the window, as her teeth gritted, her eyes narrowed and hard.

"You had a second chance, and you blew it. This here's your third one. That's more than most ever get. And I wanted to come here, to see if you were still alive, and maybe - just maybe - hear that you get it now, and you will try and save yourself for a change, instead of just damning yourself to Tartarus.

I saw a sliver of decency in you at the gate, Basher. A flicker of someone better, and that showed up with Ardee too, when you let her beat you. It made me think there were hope for you, and that you haven't just resigned yourself to the pits again.

...Were I wrong, to have faith in you?"

Her gaze softened to neutrality, though she still felt somewhat angry. It helped giving her energy, though she did feel a bit in turmoil. She were not used to putting faith in others. And those like Basher, it were not something she had done in many, many years. And it had not gone well for her most times back then. Yet she did see what she believed to be someone that could be saved, if they were just given the right opportunity. Even one that were somewhat forced on him, yet... Did he not want this, on some level? He could have just beaten up Ardee and kept running otherwise. Yet he let the young mare win, and got taken in. There had to be a reason for that, and she wanted to believe that it were because he could be saved.

She were a pawn of Vengeance, and those who were irredeemable, would be punished. But she had to believe that there were at least a few who were not beyond hope, and she thought she saw one here, even though he had a lot to pay off. Though perhaps she were wrong, and just wanted to see what she believed she saw.

==================================================================================

(Ardee)

"Sadly it can. I were not a spirit speaker of any sort in my village, but we all know how it is. That the souls can linger, for plenty of reasons, though it varies a lot by beliefs and people I think. For us kitsune, we believe that the souls of ours linger, and take possession of items or objects around us after death. So we prepare urns, or small effigies of some other kind, and show it reverence until the day of the year, where the veil between the next world and ours, are at their thinnest. On that day, we hold a ceremony, and a celebration as the barriers break, and as our ancestors walk among us again, we send our dearly departed with them.

Most of the time, they were already there, and the reverence we showed to them, help calm their souls enough to let go, and move on. Some rare cases, it is not until we give the objects over, that they are free to go to the lands beyond.

Some others like ponies, can get stuck for lots of reasons, though it's rare. Most will still just move on, ready or not. Some others like Mystril's uncle... I dunno. I think it has something to do with strength of will and soul, even though it can get twisted. He was a protector, and now he thinks he's doing the same, when he's just isolating her.

You heard of Poltergeists, right? Angry spirits, with a lot of power, smashing things around? I dunno how it works, but those sorts are the more well known, as they cause a lot of easily observable havoc. Usually others have to go and deal with that sort of thing. I heard something about a family or something that did that, in Equestria. Hopefully someone will find some books or something on that, and keep that going. After all this war, there has to be more ghosts around than ever.

There's definitely gonna be in the ruins of my old village, and those around it. All this time, without things kept in check... *sigh* It's gonna take a lot of time, before there's harmony again.

But I'm dragging this back to me, I'm sorry. It sounds like you lost someone too? Like I said, becoming a ghost is supposedly pretty rare, so I hope that your friends were just allowed to move on, to... Elysium, right, sorry. I keep forgetting what the good afterlife is called for you ponies. I'm sure they were good ponies, who is beyond all this fire and death that flooded the world."

He'd give her a warm smile, as best he could, and lead the way on. It was perhaps best they went and checked up on the scene where the other kitsune had apparently been, rather than keep her here. Ardee were best off not staying and thinking on the tangible ghost in the room they had just left. Seemed like it might get some bad memories going for her.

"Say, I got a question. Weren't your name Ardee? How come you scribbled a false name down on Mystril's papers? You worried 'bout your identity? Should I stop using your name?"

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

(Minostralium is a metal, gold in color and similarly soft.)

(Also she has three coins, unless she used one and I forgot?)

On 2024-07-25 at 12:09 PM, Blitz Boom said:

She'd push her right front hoof against the wall, next to the window, as her teeth gritted, her eyes narrowed and hard.

"You had a second chance, and you blew it. This here's your third one. That's more than most ever get. And I wanted to come here, to see if you were still alive, and maybe - just maybe - hear that you get it now, and you will try and save yourself for a change, instead of just damning yourself to Tartarus.

I saw a sliver of decency in you at the gate, Basher. A flicker of someone better, and that showed up with Ardee too, when you let her beat you. It made me think there were hope for you, and that you haven't just resigned yourself to the pits again.

...Were I wrong, to have faith in you?"

He kept bouncing the ball through her speech, right up until her final line where he caught the ball and held it. It was hard to see his expression in the darkness, but he didn't seem happy.

"BUCK!"

The ball seemed to teleport with how fast it traveled, before it got wedged in the bars covering the window.

He stormed up to the window, "You think you know me pipsqueak? YOU think you know ME? This aint my first time round the block pally, this aint the first time I've been offered 'salvation' in exchange for some work. It ain't the second time neither. You want to talk about chances? How about this, sure, when I was a young colt I was in a bad crowd, made a name for myself as a killer. I was THE BALTIMARE BASHER. I had a good run before the guard finally got me, I was ready to die because that's what I deserved. Princess Celestia herself sends for me to be released, says she's putting together a little team. So I run a few years in Minos for her, get her all the Minostralium she could want, and got to keep a bit for myself. I come back expecting, well, not a welcome or anything, but what I had been promised. And Bang!"

He hit the bars for emphasis, the ball wasn't going anywhere.

"Execution squad for me and my team. We killed every last one of them except for this young Armor colt, first day in the guard and just happened to be in the wrong room. We escaped, lied low, but what's a stud to do? You know what it's like, I saw it in your eyes. You follow the path you've always traveled because it's the only path you know. Because they've built fences to keep you on that path. So I ran a gang out of Manehatten, kept things civil. Fifteen years later there's a war going on. Turns out Celestia knew where I was the whole time, gathers a few of us up and ships us off to Cervidas to cause some problems. War ends, back to prison, life this time. To sit and wait until SHE wants me again."

He smirks, "Few years later, HE gives us a much better offer. No promises of 'forgiveness', just freedom."

He looks away for a moment.

"Then at the gates, back to the path, the only road I know. And here we are again. I'm held here until I'm useful. Until I'm ready to do it all again."

He returns his gaze. "You know what SHE wants? She doesn't want me to change, no, they never wanted me to change I'm too 'useful' the way I am. So no pally, this isn't a chance. It's the cycle all over again. I'm not going to rope anyone else into this scene. She wants a weapon? Fine. I'll be a weapon. I've been a weapon. But I'm not bringing anyone else into this."

He lost a bit of his fire there, "I let her win so she wouldn't lose to you. So she'd get off the path before it took her where it's taken us."

Arcade was a bit shocked by all he had heard, but he wasn't about to get involved in this discussion. He didn't want to get caught in the crossfire if things got more heated.

(Ardee)

But I'm dragging this back to me, I'm sorry. It sounds like you lost someone too? Like I said, becoming a ghost is supposedly pretty rare, so I hope that your friends were just allowed to move on, to... Elysium, right, sorry. I keep forgetting what the good afterlife is called for you ponies. I'm sure they were good ponies, who is beyond all this fire and death that flooded the world."

She didn't look too sure, "Until yesterday, I didn't think we could even get marks, so I never thought about what might come after death. I was always told we were disposable. Still..."

She sighed, "Maybe I should go back there, someday, make sure they aren't stuck there waiting or something. Make sure no one else suffers like they did."

"Say, I got a question. Weren't your name Ardee? How come you scribbled a false name down on Mystril's papers? You worried 'bout your identity? Should I stop using your name?"

She shook her head, "It's not that. You remember how I got my mark? Well, apparently you're able to change your name when you get it. I never really thought about it, but when I went to sign the paper it just... came to me. It felt right."

She shrugged, "You can still call me Ardee if you want. They're still my initials."

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2024-07-26 at 10:50 PM, Illiad Easle said:

The ball seemed to teleport with how fast it traveled, before it got wedged in the bars covering the window.

Null yoinked back a half head's distance instinctually, as the ball got wedged there, her heart skipping a beat. It might not have gotten through, but it had certainly gotten her attention, so that she would hear his boastful, angry retort to her response.

"Then at the gates, back to the path, the only road I know. And here we are again. I'm held here until I'm useful. Until I'm ready to do it all again."

He returns his gaze. "You know what SHE wants? She doesn't want me to change, no, they never wanted me to change I'm too 'useful' the way I am. So no pally, this isn't a chance. It's the cycle all over again. I'm not going to rope anyone else into this scene. She wants a weapon? Fine. I'll be a weapon. I've been a weapon. But I'm not bringing anyone else into this."

He lost a bit of his fire there, "I let her win so she wouldn't lose to you. So she'd get off the path before it took her where it's taken us."

Arcade was a bit shocked by all he had heard, but he wasn't about to get involved in this discussion. He didn't want to get caught in the crossfire if things got more heated.

Null would listen, but her features would grow angry too, about to come with a retort. And then, he had kept going. Talked about being used, reused and then always coming back to storage. Simply being left alive, because he were useful enough for that. Yet not enough to allow him some rights, such as freedom, or being seen as an equal. In his words, he were a tool, and she knew that feeling all too well, from various angles. Her current employment being just one of them.

When he were done talking, she would look at him, ice in her eyes, and gnashed teeth, hammering her hoof into the door next to the bars. Yet she spoke not yet, taking first a few deep breaths, as the rage rolled from her, and the steam slowly started to leave her.

"You think I ever want her to be like us? That I'd wish this on anyone?

My life is a living nightmare, that never ends. Even on my best days, all that's happened, is tethering at the edge of my sanity. Pushing. Festering. Since I was fourteen, the only thing that's stopped me from killing myself, was that others needed me. A few that I hadn't failed, that depended on me. And I knew that one day, they weren't gonna need me anymore, and then... I'd do it. I'd finally give myself the peace that this miserable life never gave me.

And I almost did it. Heck, I would have kept trying too, if I hadn't been pushed to be useful again. Just one last job, to close those gates, and then it'd be done. No one needed me, to keep themselves going anymore. Fighting you, the gates, everything- It distracted me, but I could feel it. Hear that small, lingering voice, just telling me to get ready to cut that final rot out of everyones life. And I thought about it. More than once, I just stood up on top of a building, contemplating jumping. Even after I got my wing, it didn't stop. If it wasn't for them, I..."

She gritted her teeth. She didn't like to speak about this, and yet, here she were, talking about things that she hadn't even told her family. The times she had contemplated just doing it. Despite any protest from Nine. Despite feeling better at times, it were still something that tormented her. And they had stopped her. Either Nine had with actions, or a voice from one of the others had interrupted her, and she had managed to push the thoughts away again for a time.

"I said yes to this, because I knew that if I wasn't used, sooner or later, the thoughts would win, because I need to fight for something, to stay alive. But I wouldn't wish this upon anyone, lest they desperately need it, and she doesn't. She still has a chance for something better, and it's not with us.

*sigh* You've been through a lot, but you've also hurt many, Basher. More than you had to, and you'll pay for that, one way or another. But if you do it right, then there's still something else than fire and brimstone for you. Not just the damnation that Discord and Celestia steered you towards, but actual peace. And I hope you'll get through your bloody skull in time, that you do have this option, by utilizing what you do best, for something good, and then rise up to the occasion. Stick it to them both, by making your own darn freedom, even if it's not in this life.

For what it's worth, I'll come around every now and again, to see how you're doing, if you like it or not. As for her... I'll do my part, to steer her away from all of this. I don't want her to go through this any more than you do."

She'd step away, lest he had more to say, which she assumed would at most be vitriol. In his shoes, she couldn't say that she would take it much better. And perhaps one day, she would be in his position too. Doing what she did, that were always a possibility. One she didn't want, but couldn't in good faith say were impossible.

Null would send a look to Arcade. The light in her life, that had done more than most, to keep those bad thoughts away. But they hadn't been eliminated, and hearing what he just had, she felt that he were likely going to want to know more later. Such as if she had contemplated it after meeting him, despite how happy he genuinely made her feel.

Something told her, that he wouldn't like the answer to that, though she hoped that he would understand, that she hadn't felt the urge to act on them.

(Ardee)

She didn't look too sure, "Until yesterday, I didn't think we could even get marks, so I never thought about what might come after death. I was always told we were disposable. Still..."

She sighed, "Maybe I should go back there, someday, make sure they aren't stuck there waiting or something. Make sure no one else suffers like they did."

"Way I were told it, not everyone can see ghosts, unless they're strong spirits. Like that guy, or poltergeists. But I know there's literature on stuff, and my kin had some ceremonies and rituals for communicating with spirits. Maybe if we keep in touch, I could share it with you, if I manage to find out something?"

Truth be told, it'd be nice having a friend to chatter with sometime else, and Kozue liked giving a paw if he could. Frankly he were gonna need to find either members of his kin that knew this sort of thing, or scavenge stuff from the ruins of their villages, since he could well imagine that at least some of the many who died during the attacks, were still lingering on. With how spiritual his kin were, he sadly considered it a higher risk chance at getting stuck, than normal beings. Especially the elders. In particular, Elder Phi Zohe, who were the elder that held the esteemed position, of head of ceremonies, when they had their yearly celebration with their ancestors. She were a strong spirit, and her death had likely not been quick, nor kind. The invaders would be unlikely to enjoy that the elders teleported most of them away.

She shook her head, "It's not that. You remember how I got my mark? Well, apparently you're able to change your name when you get it. I never really thought about it, but when I went to sign the paper it just... came to me. It felt right."

She shrugged, "You can still call me Ardee if you want. They're still my initials."

Kozue would jump gracefully from one side of her, to the other. Bouncing behind her, then forth once more, just on her left. Kitsune were many things, but they were ever known, to be light on their paws, and elegant to witness. They were also known to sometimes use that distraction to then mess with onlookers, but Kozue were on his best behavior. hadn't even put a *Kick me* sign on her flank or anything.

"You ponies have a lot of traditions, and I'll admit I can't remember half of 'em. Considering your naming conventions, it makes sense though. And if I'm honest, Ranger Delta totally fits you. Has a real protagonist vibe going for it."

Wouldn't be long after that, that they'd get to the rooms. Both unguarded right now, as there really weren't anything to find here, so what remained would be work for the cleaning staff, in their eyes. Though there were still a sign up, asking that the rooms were not available for a time, and a bit of security tape still stuck to one of the handles.

"These two, yeah? Can you show me where he were meddling about, and any detail you remember? Even if it sounds weird, it might give some context."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

21 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

She'd step away, lest he had more to say, which she assumed would at most be vitriol. In his shoes, she couldn't say that she would take it much better. And perhaps one day, she would be in his position too. Doing what she did, that were always a possibility. One she didn't want, but couldn't in good faith say were impossible.

Basher didn't look away as she made her rant, but he didn't seem impressed by it, "I don't need or want your pity. But take it from me, having died more than once myself, it didn't help. Here, you can distract yourself. There?" He chuckled, "The fire doesn't hurt, it's the regret. You torture yourself there, but it sounds like you're well acquainted with that already."

He looked like he was going to say more but the window suddenly darkened, Gray Mare sighed as she led the pair away.

The adjacent cell held a sleeping unicorn mare, one Arcade would mention was the mare he had taken out on the wall while Null was fighting Basher. Her marker read: Pop 'Birdie' Fly. Debt: 200 years.

Null would send a look to Arcade. The light in her life, that had done more than most, to keep those bad thoughts away. But they hadn't been eliminated, and hearing what he just had, she felt that he were likely going to want to know more later. Such as if she had contemplated it after meeting him, despite how happy he genuinely made her feel.

Something told her, that he wouldn't like the answer to that, though she hoped that he would understand, that she hadn't felt the urge to act on them.

Arcade's expression was one of concern, given what she had said. He had not been expecting that sort of revelation, much less that Basher would be the one to get her to open up like that rather than him. He looked away.

Once they were out of the prison hall Grey Mare sighed, "He's right, in a way. The Grey is not set up to rehabilitate its members. The logs are full of those who paid their debts, left, and incurred new debts not long after."

She shook her head, "Maybe that needs to change, but the Grey has..." she looked thoughtful, as though listening to something, "Huh, maybe not."

She shook it off, returning her attention to Null and Arcade, "You probably don't want to spend any more time here than you have to. Let's get your rewards sorted out."

She would lead them back to her office, pulling out a paper as she sat in her chair, "So, Null Pointer, having been judged to owe 50 years over..." She looked surprised as her eyes ran down the paper, before looking back up at Null, "... That's quite the life you've lived, I didn't realize you had it so rough. No wonder Vengeance only asked a pittance of you." She shook her head, "Anyway, you've earned five years for killing Firebird the griffon, and seventy years for the capture of Vivace. You had previously promised thirty five years to three of my agents for their support. Given the circumstances I would understand if you would want to reduce their share."

She turned to Arcade, "I, hmm" she looked confused at the top of the paper,

"You can just call me Arcade"

She nodded, "I figured, I didn't expect quite so many numbers and letters. Anyway, you are owed a debt of several lifetimes. Likely more than you'll be able to use before the end of your life. The Grey is at your disposal for whatever you should need. Twenty years on top of that is a trifle, but Vengeance is grateful for your assistance in capturing Pop." 

(Ardee)

"Way I were told it, not everyone can see ghosts, unless they're strong spirits. Like that guy, or poltergeists. But I know there's literature on stuff, and my kin had some ceremonies and rituals for communicating with spirits. Maybe if we keep in touch, I could share it with you, if I manage to find out something?"

Truth be told, it'd be nice having a friend to chatter with sometime else, and Kozue liked giving a paw if he could. Frankly he were gonna need to find either members of his kin that knew this sort of thing, or scavenge stuff from the ruins of their villages, since he could well imagine that at least some of the many who died during the attacks, were still lingering on. With how spiritual his kin were, he sadly considered it a higher risk chance at getting stuck, than normal beings. Especially the elders. In particular, Elder Phi Zohe, who were the elder that held the esteemed position, of head of ceremonies, when they had their yearly celebration with their ancestors. She were a strong spirit, and her death had likely not been quick, nor kind. The invaders would be unlikely to enjoy that the elders teleported most of them away.

She looked thoughtful, "If you know someone who can see spirits, that would be helpful. I just want to make sure they've moved on and that they're not like, following us."

"These two, yeah? Can you show me where he were meddling about, and any detail you remember? Even if it sounds weird, it might give some context."

She nodded, once inside she would point out the wall that the other kitsune had been writing on, "He was writing some strange symbols that disappeared after he wrote them, and he was rambling about something I didn't understand. I wasn't paying too much attention other than that he had some sort of magic that kept my arrows from hitting him."

• Party! 1

(edited)

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2024-08-05 at 11:08 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Basher didn't look away as she made her rant, but he didn't seem impressed by it, "I don't need or want your pity. But take it from me, having died more than once myself, it didn't help. Here, you can distract yourself. There?" He chuckled, "The fire doesn't hurt, it's the regret. You torture yourself there, but it sounds like you're well acquainted with that already."

He looked like he was going to say more but the window suddenly darkened, Gray Mare sighed as she led the pair away.

The adjacent cell held a sleeping unicorn mare, one Arcade would mention was the mare he had taken out on the wall while Null was fighting Basher. Her marker read: Pop 'Birdie' Fly. Debt: 200 years.

It seemed visiting hours were over, but it wasn't as if she could say anything more to him, beyond just bickering, or confirmation of things. She had said her piece, just as he said his. When next she'd return here, however long it would take, perhaps they'd be talking more face to face, and she'd know if he had tried to take it to heart, that he could still do something about his fate. Even if it wasn't in a way that everyone would consider nice.

As they were wandering away, the little paper fox suddenly scurried nearby, climbed Null, and situated itself on her head.

"I wondered where you had gone off to."

It had gotten bored with them talking, and had been wandering about for a bit. Not far, and not with enough time to cause trouble. Though if they implemented a feather or two into its design proper, it would probably be more capable of mischief. It were still a kitsune construct after all.

Once they were out of the prison hall Grey Mare sighed, "He's right, in a way. The Grey is not set up to rehabilitate its members. The logs are full of those who paid their debts, left, and incurred new debts not long after."

She shook her head, "Maybe that needs to change, but the Grey has..." she looked thoughtful, as though listening to something, "Huh, maybe not."

She shook it off, returning her attention to Null and Arcade, "You probably don't want to spend any more time here than you have to. Let's get your rewards sorted out."

"You might not rehabilitate them, but you give them a chance to clean their slate. Even if some guidelines would be a good thing, they chose what they do in the end. Basher has a chance now, and if he squanders it, that's his choice.

I walked around with cursed items for years on end, and sometimes, I had to use those, to do good, in horrible ways. So I get having to use the right tool, for the right job. But ponies aren't objects, they can make choices. Especially those who knows what their actions can lead to. Wouldn't hurt with trying to remind them sometimes, what will happen if they don't keep themselves in check though.

But this is your house, and your rules. Though a word of advice: Be careful, taking that voice in your head as gospel. I've seen enough cults to know what can happen, if you let someone else control everything you do."

This were probably the closest thing to giving some sage advice, that Null could get. Some harshly taught lessons, that had given her a bleak perspective of things, that could if nothing else, serve as a warning for others. Sometimes, she did think of her own life that way. Not so much a tragic tale with a happy ending, but a cautionary tale about what the world could be like, and her path one that you should learn to avoid. A lotta pitfalls that she'd at least been happy to have known about, so she wouldn't have gone and learn the hard way.

She would lead them back to her office, pulling out a paper as she sat in her chair, "So, Null Pointer, having been judged to owe 50 years over..." She looked surprised as her eyes ran down the paper, before looking back up at Null, "... That's quite the life you've lived, I didn't realize you had it so rough. No wonder Vengeance only asked a pittance of you." She shook her head, "Anyway, you've earned five years for killing Firebird the griffon, and seventy years for the capture of Vivace. You had previously promised thirty five years to three of my agents for their support. Given the circumstances I would understand if you would want to reduce their share."

She turned to Arcade, "I, hmm" she looked confused at the top of the paper,

"You can just call me Arcade"

She nodded, "I figured, I didn't expect quite so many numbers and letters. Anyway, you are owed a debt of several lifetimes. Likely more than you'll be able to use before the end of your life. The Grey is at your disposal for whatever you should need. Twenty years on top of that is a trifle, but Vengeance is grateful for your assistance in capturing Pop." 

"When all you have its your word, it matters when you give it. I promised them half, and they're getting that. I trust they'll figure out how to share it between one another."

She assumed that it would simply be 11 to both of the underlings, and then 13 for their leader. It made sense that way to her, unless they could split into months and such. She just assumed it were purely years, and that they weren't gonna have to include fractions into all of this. For her part, she were just gonna hand over the years. The details beyond that, were up to them to sort out.

"Besides, this leaves me just 10 years left. Unless someone's planning on beating me to death with a brick before we leave this place, I'm thinking I'll have that handled somewhat soon.

As for my story... Read away. Maybe if you read it, you'll be as surprised as I am, that I'm still alive."

She didn't mean in the way that the dangers out there should have killed her. Which you know, had been close to happen some times still, and she did sometimes question her luck, in having survived some of the things that Void and her threw themselves into. But in this case, she meant more like how the collected amount of things that were piled on a young mind, and didn't stop getting heavier, had broken her to the point of suicidal thoughts.

Who knew? Perhaps she'd understand the lengths that Null were willing to go for her sister, and grasp that the story between the two of them, wasn't over yet. Though she didn't know what sorta thing were on that paper. Could just be the headliners, with little in the way of details. Frankly she didn't know.

The list on Arcade seemed more extensive. To the point where she'd even say that The Grey were at his disposal. Had to be one heck of a karmic debt he were owed. Not that he didn't deserve it. Even from just the snippets she knew, she were aware that he had it rough. Least she hadn't been killed in horrific ways day in and day out, for gods know how long. It were frankly amazing that he were still of sane mind actually. A lesser pony would have broken completely by now.

She considered saying something to that, but she wasn't sure what it should be. It felt like saying it were good he weren't in the negatives, were in some minor way, saying there were something good that had come from what he had been through. Which there were, if you wanted to look very closely, and squint your eyes. But she wasn't heartless enough to look on it like that. Not with him.

(Ardee)

She looked thoughtful, "If you know someone who can see spirits, that would be helpful. I just want to make sure they've moved on and that they're not like, following us."

"I used to know several. Now... *sigh* I'll have to get out there, y'know? I don't know where to start, but we were sent all around, in the elders desperate attempt to keep us alive. There has to be more than me who survived, and I'll have to find them. And when eventually there's enough of us, maybe we can set our sight on going back home, to rebuild what we lost.

I hope you'll have a chance to see it too someday. It's probably in ruins now, but my home used to be beautiful. A thriving village, in harmony with nature. And ours was just one of several, likely all put to the torch, by those monsters."

Kozue would admit, that one thing that made him apprehensive about taking to the roads, wasn't so much that he were waiting for some kind of magical sign. It were kind of an excuse, and he knew it. What he actually waited for, the sign that he believed would start him off, were someone saying they wanted to come along. He frankly had enough loneliness, from the year and a half he spent in that underground cave system. Being out there with someone else, was going to make things a lot more tolerable, and fun too, of course.

Just had to wait for someone with a want to go out there, and then tag along. His kin could be anywhere, so he didn't have a set direction to go for right now anyway. No rumors or the like to go by. It were just to plunge into the wild, and get going, yeah? But now, a sign were here, by one who held the minostralum, and he had a chance to purchase a small amount of it. Didn't have to be much either, and yeah... This seemed a sign if any. And who knew? Maybe he'd find a travel partner somewhere between helping Ardee here, and going to Troy. Might be an adventurous type there.

She nodded, once inside she would point out the wall that the other kitsune had been writing on, "He was writing some strange symbols that disappeared after he wrote them, and he was rambling about something I didn't understand. I wasn't paying too much attention other than that he had some sort of magic that kept my arrows from hitting him."

Kozue would nod and go into the room, sniffing the air a few times, with his long nose directed in several different directions.

"Can't catch a scent. Too much time, and too many ponies."

He'd go to the wall next, and reach out with his paw. Yet just before he touched it, he would halt, and just stand there for a few seconds.

"Wait... No way, this can't be..."

He would take a step back, looking at the wall, with his head tilted. Then a hoofwidth of his tail would light up at the tip, and he'd suddenly spin in a circle sideways, his tail dashing over the wall like a paint brush.

Where it hit, a pale, slightly pink glowing aura were brushed over the wall, and within it, a faint imprint in light grey. The symbol that had been drawn on the wall, which didn't really say a lot. There were no words. Just a simple symbol in the middle of a circle, with a single rune in every corner of said symbol.

Kozue would take a step back, head tilted again, before he straightened up, and looked back at Ardee.

"...It's a temporary mind overlay. We sometimes use these as traps in the forest around our homes, so in case a larger group gets through the regular diversion magic, the guards are alerted, and can use them to distract and cause disarray. Usually they're connected to a guard by name, that will control them for a short time. This one is called..."

He'd walk over and run his pawn around the edges, showing the symbol more, which included a few more that were painted in just near the top. Some he would run a claw across.

"...Zhu. Can't say I know who that is, but it's definitely a kitsune trap. One that's been triggered already.

Fairly odd that this is what's been used. If he wanted to hurt you, there's a load of more effective ones. Same if it were for a prank, which we do use these for too at times, but they're unreliable for that sort. You'd need to look directly at it, and this one was hidden. If you were the target, why not paint it brightly and on the wall just as you went into your bedroom or something?

And before you ask, I dunno what were used to paint this. I know the symbol, but not the paint specifically. There's not enough of a clue here.

You know if they managed to find some leftover by chance?

Oh right, you're probably worried about the overlay... Well, you will more or less just lose consciousness after its triggered, and the one who is in control, gets a brief view of your memories from the last hour or so, so they can make it more convincing that they're still the one who took over. And when it's active, you have control for upwards of an hour, before it just fades away.

Least that's how I were told it. I've never used this sorta thing before, since frankly, it's beyond me. We're talking advanced guard training, for our kin, and I wasn't that far ahead. If this kitsune's not an older one, maybe he's a prodigy of sorts. Happens at times, that a shining star shows special talents early on. Might be that'll help identify this one later.

Anyway, you're probably safe. You haven't experienced a sudden blackout the last day or so, right? So someone else have had to have triggered it. Darned be if I can tell the motive though, from just this."

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2024-08-10 at 4:26 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"You might not rehabilitate them, but you give them a chance to clean their slate. Even if some guidelines would be a good thing, they chose what they do in the end. Basher has a chance now, and if he squanders it, that's his choice.

Grey shook her head, "If all they know is how to cause harm, how are they supposed to not do that when they leave? Sure, while they're here they're doing harm for the right reasons, but afterwards? Like Basher said, it's the only path he's ever walked. And Us cleaning their record with Karma doesn't change how others see them."

But this is your house, and your rules. Though a word of advice: Be careful, taking that voice in your head as gospel. I've seen enough cults to know what can happen, if you let someone else control everything you do."

Grey raised an eyebrow at that, but she didn't seem too concerned, "I think Nibiru knows a thing or two about how to do this job, and I'm willing to try something different from the status quo to see if things improve."

"Besides, this leaves me just 10 years left. Unless someone's planning on beating me to death with a brick before we leave this place, I'm thinking I'll have that handled somewhat soon.

Grey snorted, "From this list, it wouldn't surprise me if someone wanted to, but you can rest assured that you wouldn't deserve it. Now, I'm not in a position to give you targets, but I've heard whispers in the shadows that you might know someone who owes exactly enough to clear your debt."

She shrugged, "If you'd rather let someone else take care of them, there's no shortage of targets in the cloud layer, but I'm sure Vengeance has a target in mind worthy of your skills."

If Null had nothing else to ask of Grey Mare, they would be allowed to leave so she can get back to work.

As they were leaving Nine would speak up, "Per your earlier comments, I'm sorry if I've steered you wrong before. And, well, when I did steer you wrong. I had hoped that your learning of my involvement in your previous... ideations... would have helped, but I see that my influence has had some deep and long lasting effects on your psyche."

There was a pause, "If you want, you can take a break from having me in your mind. As long as you need. I figure you won't want me in your ear while you talk with Arcade."

Speaking of, they were now outside the building, and Arcade spoke up, "Can we talk? About us? Not like, out here in the open or immediately, but soon, and somewhere private. I just..."

He sighed, looking away, "All this time I've spent with you, it's different than anything I've had before, but that also means I don't know if we're doing it right or not. Like, I didn't know how bad I had it in the labs before Mistress came along. Still, I worry that you're not happy, and that my presence is contributing to your unhappiness."

(Ardee)

I hope you'll have a chance to see it too someday. It's probably in ruins now, but my home used to be beautiful. A thriving village, in harmony with nature. And ours was just one of several, likely all put to the torch, by those monsters."

She shrugged, "Anything is an improvement from the lab I grew up in."

It was noncommittal, but RD didn't seem keen on going anywhere at the moment. She was more worried about figuring out who she was to consider future adventures.

"...Zhu. Can't say I know who that is, but it's definitely a kitsune trap. One that's been triggered already.

Fairly odd that this is what's been used. If he wanted to hurt you, there's a load of more effective ones. Same if it were for a prank, which we do use these for too at times, but they're unreliable for that sort. You'd need to look directly at it, and this one was hidden. If you were the target, why not paint it brightly and on the wall just as you went into your bedroom or something?

Ranger looked confused, "I wonder who would have triggered it? Basher and I left while they were still painting it, so it couldn't have been either of us, could it?"

You know if they managed to find some leftover by chance?

She shook her head, "I don't remember him using paint, I think he got whatever he was using from a sort of inkwell? It smelled like something, kind of like how some of the scientists would smell on occasion."

Least that's how I were told it. I've never used this sorta thing before, since frankly, it's beyond me. We're talking advanced guard training, for our kin, and I wasn't that far ahead. If this kitsune's not an older one, maybe he's a prodigy of sorts. Happens at times, that a shining star shows special talents early on. Might be that'll help identify this one later.

Anyway, you're probably safe. You haven't experienced a sudden blackout the last day or so, right? So someone else have had to have triggered it. Darned be if I can tell the motive though, from just this."

She looked more concerned, "So like, temporary mind control? That's worrying."

She looked away, seemingly a bit bored. "I wonder what's taking them so long to come back with the feathers. I hope they didn't run into any trouble out there."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2024-08-16 at 10:40 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Grey shook her head, "If all they know is how to cause harm, how are they supposed to not do that when they leave? Sure, while they're here they're doing harm for the right reasons, but afterwards? Like Basher said, it's the only path he's ever walked. And Us cleaning their record with Karma doesn't change how others see them."

"The choice's still there. They can get to think over what they've done, and what good or bad it'll do. Ain't easy, but they could change.  Even if it wouldn't hurt slipping a word now and again about being smarter with their choices. Maybe some directions to a therapist, on their way out the door. Helped me a little."

Perhaps some couldn't be saved, unless they stayed employed. Heck, maybe that was the real thing that should be on offer? A choice to stay and keep working for them, which would at least keep them if not on the straight and narrow, ensure they didn't do their bad deeds in a way that sent them off the rails, and down to Tartarus. Seemed like there were things that could be done, but did Grey Mare want to? That was another matter entirely, and it were probably not as simple as she were thinking it were.

Grey raised an eyebrow at that, but she didn't seem too concerned, "I think Nibiru knows a thing or two about how to do this job, and I'm willing to try something different from the status quo to see if things improve."

"Like I said, I've seen my share of cults, and what giving up autonomy leads to. Sounds like you're keeping your wits about you though, rather than just marching to the whistle, like I was concerned about. I'll look forward to seeing what sorta ideas you'll end up pushing through."

Truth be told, she weren't so sure if Nibiru would let her do things, but they'd see. Grey mare still had her own thoughts on things, but it did seem Nibiru were insistent too, judging by the moment before. They'd see in time if that were just a back and forth dialogue, like she did with Nine, or if it were different with them. Probably to some extend the former, but she were paranoid by nature, and didn't overly believe wholeheartedly in some unknown force. That included Karma, whom she assumed weren't all neutral about everything, and had some hidden costs to taking up their mantle. She tried not to think about it too much.

As for questions to Grey Mare... She hadn't any that she could utter right now, as using her title didn't carry the same weight to her sentiments. Besides, she had plenty to do soon, speaking with Arcade. It were high time they had a chat, and him hearing what she had just spouted out before, probably had him with more questions than before. Some that she didn't like answering, but knew she had to.

So she'd say goodbye to Grey Mare for now, and be on her way. With just one thing to handle still, before it came to her and Arcade. The voice in her own head, that wanted a sliver of her time too.

As they were leaving Nine would speak up, "Per your earlier comments, I'm sorry if I've steered you wrong before. And, well, when I did steer you wrong. I had hoped that your learning of my involvement in your previous... ideations... would have helped, but I see that my influence has had some deep and long lasting effects on your psyche."

There was a pause, "If you want, you can take a break from having me in your mind. As long as you need. I figure you won't want me in your ear while you talk with Arcade."

"My psyche's been messed up far before you got into the picture. You just sped things up. Sooner or later, I would have cracked completely. Might've even actually gone ahead and offed myself, rather than grasping on to straws, but... *sigh* No point wondering about what could've been. Can't change the past anyway, and I'm getting the feeling you were one of those things pulling on me to not jump off a building after we got back to Troy, or toss myself off the airship, after the gates got closed. We're probably square at this point.

And I'd appreciate a small bit of privacy, while I talk with Arcade. You don't need to leave, just sorta clamp your ears for a bit, while we talk some things over. I can't keep pushing this away, much as I don't know how to deal with it..."

Deep, emotional stuff, and things she kept private, even from her own family, were not something that was easy to bring up for her. For Arcade, she wanted to try, and would do what she could, but she knew that she were gonna stumble during this, and not handle it smoothly. Hopefully he could see past this flaw, as he seemed to be able to, all her other ones.

Speaking of, they were now outside the building, and Arcade spoke up, "Can we talk? About us? Not like, out here in the open or immediately, but soon, and somewhere private. I just..."

He sighed, looking away, "All this time I've spent with you, it's different than anything I've had before, but that also means I don't know if we're doing it right or not. Like, I didn't know how bad I had it in the labs before Mistress came along. Still, I worry that you're not happy, and that my presence is contributing to your unhappiness."

Had she an idea what to say? Not really, and this were also not quite what she had expected. What were she... Awh to Tartarus with it.

Null tossed aside thinking on it, and just went with what her heart were saying. Impulsive actions and words she didn't think of in advance, which would start by her going closer and kiss Arcade for a few seconds, eyes closed, as her head started to feel all warm, from her flustering cheeks. And when she were done, she just went with the first words that came to her. She could regret them later, if it came down to that.

"I'd never be unhappy, with you in my life.

I got a lot of things that's weighed me down, and made me go to dark places. A lot of those are still there, looming just under the surface, but when you're around, I don't feel an urge to listen to those dark voices. For the first time since further back than I can remember, I actually feel genuinely happy. And it's because of you. No matter how clenched up I seem sometimes.

When we get home to Troy, we'll go to the workshop, and lock the doors. Then we'll get all the alone time that we need to talk and... Other things."

That last bit blurted out unintentionally, and she were definitely gonna be kicking herself for that later, but right now, she just put her forehead against Arcade's, sighing with relief, as the stress and hardness seemed to melt from her, for a short moment. Something that she weren't able to do, before he had shown up in her life. Not with the gate closing, or the party after, when it were revealed Equestria had a lot of their important ponies coming back someday- Not even when she met properly with her parents again, were she able to just let go, for even a moment. There were always some anger, or pain, or guilt that weighed on her. But with Arcade, she were able to find some respite from it all, and perhaps one day, that would last for more than a few short moments, before she'd pull back again, and look him in the eyes. Her features a little softer, but her usual expression were starting to settle in again.

"Now come on, let's get back to Ardee and finish this off, so we can get on the road."

Of course, she'd manage to get a look on something that were gonna make her halt, and mumble a bit to herself not too long after, as they were on their way back. The big casino, owned by the dragons, out in the distance.

"Right, those two. I forgot the dragons wanted to have a chat, now that the curse is gone...

Think we should head back for Ardee first? Probably couldn't hurt her to see that place either, and they seemed to be able to figure out when to draw back, so they don't make thralls out of just about everyone. It's probably safe."

==================================================================

(Ardee)

She shrugged, "Anything is an improvement from the lab I grew up in."

It was noncommittal, but RD didn't seem keen on going anywhere at the moment. She was more worried about figuring out who she was to consider future adventures.

"A lab? No offense, but it sounds like a nightmare, to grow up in a sterile place like that.

Just you wait, when our town's up and running again proper, I'll make sure you can come and get a tour, and see the sort of natural harmony that a kit outta grow up in. And who knows? Maybe this time around, we won't need to keep layers and layers of protection around our villages, to keep poachers from trying to hunt for our young, or the government to try and send their warriors in to try and clean us out."

Neighpon and the kitsune had a fair bit of history between them. Not a lot of it the nicest, as their ideologies tended to clash. Especially the Neighponese want to spread and industrialize, and the kitsune's want to keep a harmonic balance with nature. Even if they both valued traditions, they were not always comparable, or mingled well there either. So most time, Neighpon's government had it in their laws that it were illegal to buy and sell kitsune, or parts of them, but the laws tended to be varied in their enforcements, and with all the superstitions about what the fur, or parts of a kitsune could be used for - of which some were true - there would be a fair bit sold, unless they took care of protecting their own.

Since an adult kitsune were a force to be reckoned with, most poachers were hoping to snatch some kits up, as they were weaker, and more defenseless. Hence one of the many reasons why the kitsune lived behind many layers of protection, and had to employ stuff like the sigil he were about to discover. They couldn't risk their young, and though being rather elegant and seemingly only mischievous in nature, could get quite agitated and cruel, if their kits were on the line. You didn't hear about that a lot, as those who incurred the wrath of the kitsune, had a habit of not being around to speak of it afterwards. Especially when it came to their young.

Ranger looked confused, "I wonder who would have triggered it? Basher and I left while they were still painting it, so it couldn't have been either of us, could it?"

"Might be one of those who went and investigated this place, cause I can tell you, this didn't fizzle. This here's triggered. We learn to tell the difference in school, just in case we need to hide behind one, if we get lost in the forest. Ideally we shouldn't, but kits are prone to wandering off eventually, if they aren't watched. Heh, we're too curious for our own good, at that age.

Buuuut if this Were one of the guards, that triggered this, it begs the question what the one in charge have been doing with that control since then. Might be something that outta be brought up to Bling, just in case."

The changeling were a peculiar leader, but Kozue honestly liked her. She had a good head on her shoulder, and a bigger heart, that seemed to beat not just for her own kin, but also for others, who could use a chance to get somewhere. He were just one of several performers who had gotten a solid chance because of her, and he had been around enough to hear other stories of how she handled things. The vast majority, while basically not having a coin to her name. It were impressive really, and he liked how she were as a changeling too. A rather nice one to hang out with.

Of course, some like Pip and Scruffy, would take advantage of that if they got the chance, but she seemed to know better than to trust them too much. Good that she could see them for the conmen they were. Though as a kitsune, he did find it funny to watch them trying to hustle some unsuspecting prey at times. Long as they kept within boundaries.

She shook her head, "I don't remember him using paint, I think he got whatever he was using from a sort of inkwell? It smelled like something, kind of like how some of the scientists would smell on occasion."

"Hmm, maybe I can ask security later. I ain't getting a lot from this, other than it's probably magic paint, or ink in some fashion. But there's loads of ways to handle that, and it could also just be a base of invisible ink, with a bit of magic added to it. Maybe I'll see later."

She looked more concerned, "So like, temporary mind control? That's worrying."

She looked away, seemingly a bit bored. "I wonder what's taking them so long to come back with the feathers. I hope they didn't run into any trouble out there."

Kozue opened his mouth to say something in protest, then closed it again, and thought for a few seconds, before shrugging and attempting one more time.

"Y'know what? My teachers would disagree, but yeah, it's basically mind control. Way they'd say it, is that this is more humane, as you can't look through everything in their head, it doesn't last long, and there's no lingering effect. They won't even notice it's happening. But that's probably going too much into the weeds about it. In essence, this Zhu fellah, have had some time controlling someone that went into this room, for reasons unknown. I couldn't even guess his motive right now.

And your friends might've just taken the long route, or the feathers were gone, and they're out chasing them down. Could be they're at the consulate, to try and sort something. You're all Trojan citizens, right? That place got to do with you folks. Maybe there's something that they needed to go and sort there.

They seem like the sort who knows how to take care of themselves though. I'm sure there's nothing to be worried about.

Anyway, wanna go check out the other room? If he came in from there, maybe there's something to go by there. Or we can go do something else, like warn the chief, go on sightseeing, or something. Honestly, I don't get to hang out as much as I'd like, so this here's kinda nice. Y'know, long as you look beyond the mind overlay, and violent ghost parts. A couple of minor details there."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

22 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"The choice's still there. They can get to think over what they've done, and what good or bad it'll do. Ain't easy, but they could change.  Even if it wouldn't hurt slipping a word now and again about being smarter with their choices. Maybe some directions to a therapist, on their way out the door. Helped me a little."

Grey looked conflicted, but shook it off, electing to move on rather than get into a deep discussion about it. It was a moot point anyway considering what she had planned.

"My psyche's been messed up far before you got into the picture. You just sped things up. Sooner or later, I would have cracked completely. Might've even actually gone ahead and offed myself, rather than grasping on to straws, but... *sigh* No point wondering about what could've been. Can't change the past anyway, and I'm getting the feeling you were one of those things pulling on me to not jump off a building after we got back to Troy, or toss myself off the airship, after the gates got closed. We're probably square at this point.

And I'd appreciate a small bit of privacy, while I talk with Arcade. You don't need to leave, just sorta clamp your ears for a bit, while we talk some things over. I can't keep pushing this away, much as I don't know how to deal with it..."

Nine took a bit to respond, "Well, I don't have 'ears' per-say, and privacy's not really an option given our configuration. I'd just get your memories when I got back. I just thought you would appreciate me not weighing on your words or decisions."

"Besides, it's been a long time since I was last outside of your body. I think we could both use the break for a bit. I just need your permission to temporarily leave your service."

If she granted him leave he'd wait until her wing crossed the shadow of a building, then she'd feel him slide out of her mind. It was a strange sensation, like she had been occupying the same space as someone else. It was suddenly so much quieter, both in her hearing and in her mind. It seemed that Nine had both been improving her hearing, as well as being the source of some of the idle thoughts in her brain. Which made a bit of sense if the communicated telepathically, it was more that Nine's idle thoughts had been mixed in with hers, quiet enough that she couldn't tell the difference. She also suddenly felt warmer, like she had finally shaken a layer of snow off her coat. The most obvious difference was that the diamond feathers in her artificial wing went from black back to the original clear color they had originally been. It also felt a bit heavier and slightly less responsive than before. Not enough to hinder her flying, but enough to notice that Nine had been contributing.

If she didn't grant him leave he'd stick around and nothing would change.

Null tossed aside thinking on it, and just went with what her heart were saying. Impulsive actions and words she didn't think of in advance, which would start by her going closer and kiss Arcade for a few seconds, eyes closed, as her head started to feel all warm, from her flustering cheeks. And when she were done, she just went with the first words that came to her. She could regret them later, if it came down to that.

While Arcade did not reject her kiss, he wasn't as invested in it as in previous occasions, and in fact seemed the slightest bit uncomfortable by the display

"I'd never be unhappy, with you in my life.

I got a lot of things that's weighed me down, and made me go to dark places. A lot of those are still there, looming just under the surface, but when you're around, I don't feel an urge to listen to those dark voices. For the first time since further back than I can remember, I actually feel genuinely happy. And it's because of you. No matter how clenched up I seem sometimes.

When we get home to Troy, we'll go to the workshop, and lock the doors. Then we'll get all the alone time that we need to talk and... Other things."

Arcade didn't look too reassured by her response, looking away, "I'd prefer if we talked sooner. Ardee has her own room, we could talk tonight? I'd rather not be sitting on these thoughts for the whole trip back. Also, I can't say I know what other things you'd have in mind, is there something important we haven't done yet?"

As Null seemed disinclined to talk about this sort of thing right now, Arcade would let her move on to other things without argument.

"Now come on, let's get back to Ardee and finish this off, so we can get on the road."

Of course, she'd manage to get a look on something that were gonna make her halt, and mumble a bit to herself not too long after, as they were on their way back. The big casino, owned by the dragons, out in the distance.

"Right, those two. I forgot the dragons wanted to have a chat, now that the curse is gone...

Think we should head back for Ardee first? Probably couldn't hurt her to see that place either, and they seemed to be able to figure out when to draw back, so they don't make thralls out of just about everyone. It's probably safe."

Arcade nodded, "We should at least check in with her, let her know that we heven't gone and abandoned her again. We should at least give her the option to join us."

(Ardee)

"A lab? No offense, but it sounds like a nightmare, to grow up in a sterile place like that.

Ranger snorted at that, "You have no idea."

Anyway, wanna go check out the other room? If he came in from there, maybe there's something to go by there. Or we can go do something else, like warn the chief, go on sightseeing, or something. Honestly, I don't get to hang out as much as I'd like, so this here's kinda nice. Y'know, long as you look beyond the mind overlay, and violent ghost parts. A couple of minor details there."

She shrugged, "If you think there might be something else in there then it's worth looking. Hopefully it's not another invisible trap that you'll trigger by accident when you go looking for it. And I agree that we should warn the queen that someone might be controlled by this other kitsune. Maybe she's noticed some suspicious activity? Still, we should stick around here so Null and Arcade can find us when they're done with whatever's keeping them."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2024-08-22 at 10:44 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Nine took a bit to respond, "Well, I don't have 'ears' per-say, and privacy's not really an option given our configuration. I'd just get your memories when I got back. I just thought you would appreciate me not weighing on your words or decisions."

"Besides, it's been a long time since I was last outside of your body. I think we could both use the break for a bit. I just need your permission to temporarily leave your service."

"Aight, but stay safe. I think I'd actually go and miss you, if something were to happen to you."

The sensation of him leaving, and the way that she felt after were... Strange. Not as strange as when she first had to suddenly feel the world around her, after the curse lifted, but it were certainly notable. Especially in how she seemed less alert, or whatever you might call it? like she were a bit more stiff, and her hearing were dampened some. And here she thought that she had just gotten better over the last month or so, but seemed like he did some enhancing to her, without her realizing it.

It reminded her somewhat of the middle stage, between how alert she were just before, and how dampened she had felt throughout most of her life, due to the curse. She'd probably get used to it soon enough though. it wasn't an earthshattering change after all. Somewhat subtle really.

Same couldn't be said for her wing, but he did say that he were artificially coloring that, so no surprise there. Did make her stand out a good bit though. Good luck to anyone wanting to go and try to steal it though. She'd pummel them down.

Arcade didn't look too reassured by her response, looking away, "I'd prefer if we talked sooner. Ardee has her own room, we could talk tonight? I'd rather not be sitting on these thoughts for the whole trip back. Also, I can't say I know what other things you'd have in mind, is there something important we haven't done yet?"

As Null seemed disinclined to talk about this sort of thing right now, Arcade would let her move on to other things without argument.

Her mood were dampened by this. His response being luke-warm and... Resentful? Like he tried to distance himself from her?

It made her smile stiffen a bit, and some worries begin to circle in her head. Perhaps not the best time for silence right now, as now she didn't have a voice in her head, that might help to steer the bad thoughts away. Sure she could do that herself, and she had plenty of practice, but she could still feel it. That nagging though in the back of her head, that this were going to be the end of it. That she had somehow done something, and their budding relationship, were about to shattered into a million pieces.

It probably wasn't that bad, but... She had a bad habit of overthinking and assuming something bad would happen. It did her good growing up. Kept her and Void alive after all, but times like this, it were a metaphorical chain around her throat.

"O-Okay, we'll talk tonight. Just the two of us.

And uhm... Don't worry about the other thing. I got swept away, and just blurted it out. I'll tell you what it was later though. I promise. It's just... Not something to say in public."

Null were not actually great at hiding her emotions, when she didn't have a fog of anger to hide behind, and were taken by surprise. If he looked, he could likely tell that she were getting a bit nervous now. Worried even, and probably would be on at least some level, until they had their talk. Hopefully it would go better, than that nagging thought of hers, were trying to make her think it would.

Arcade nodded, "We should at least check in with her, let her know that we heven't gone and abandoned her again. We should at least give her the option to join us."

"Sounds like a plan."

She wanted to hug him. Whisper to him, that she would wait, but hoped that he weren't angry with her, but she weren't sure if this were something she should. Would it just make it worse, if she apologized, without knowing what she had done? Heck, she didn't even know if she had done something in the first place. Could be he were sullen for some other reason. Like hearing how she had considered suicide more times over time, because her blabbering mouth just couldn't shut it, when she got riled up.

With this, and so much more in mind, she'd make her way towards the hotel again, and when they were near the entrance, the fox would jump down from her head, and jump/sprint across the floor, and past the various patrons, to go find Ardee. It found her far more fun, and it assumed that she were in her room again, so it would start by heading there. Seemed the safest bet, and if it were wrong, it'd go and look elsewhere. Either way, it wasn't too keen on waiting anymore, and it was fast enough to avoid getting caught.

Or so it thought, as soon as it jumped, Null grabbed it by its tail, and it ended up dangling in front of her.

"Oh no you don't. Ardee would kill me if I lost her new pet that easily."

She'd the put it back on her head, where it angrily stomped on her scalp a bit as she moved. She could feel a few hairs fall down, from the paper cutting it, but she had plenty to go with, and as such, she just ignored it. Though when they reached the stairs up, it would jump again, this time avoiding her grasp, and making its way alone, to where it assumed Ardee were. She'd be grumbling and speeding up herself due to it, but the little thing were surprisingly fast and nimble. It'd get to the others before the two of them had a chance. Unless Arcade got hold of it first, with his magic.

==================================================================

(Ardee)

Ranger snorted at that, "You have no idea."

"Nope,. but your tone says it's one of those things where it's really bad, and I outta stay out of it. Which for the record, is not easy. I'm a curious sort you know. Buuut I'll try and keep focus on the task at paw here, and not let the intrusive thoughts win."

It wasn't just him honestly. Kitsune were forest tricksters by their nature, and loved to meddle with things. particularly if they weren't wanted there, since to them, that meant there might be something juicy to learn, see, or some fun to be had by messing with others. They didn't always act on it, but the world at large, would probably be surprised by the amount of times a kitsune were hidden nearby, snooping on things. Not like everywhere mind you, but here and there, unseen by magic and good positioning, many a kitsune had been sat throughout the centuries, curious and tempted to do something. Mostly the younger adults. The older they got, the more selective they tended to be, over what they would do, and especially their elders, were well aware of the concept of there being a time and a place for such things, as well as privacy. But the young ones, that were old enough to go out, but still had that kit-like spark of mischief going strong? Heh, bets off there.

And he weren't exactly innocent here. Truth be told, he had listened in to what... Five conversations he shouldn't have, and meddled in two. He also left a few that he sensed were not something he should partake in, but he could point out five easily, where he were an unwelcome, albeit unseen presence.

Because of the unseen nature of the kitsune, and the fact that very few had the resources to afford something that could actively scan for traces of their magic near them, there were actually several superstitions and traditions they had, regarding them. one of the more prominent being, that if you wanted to wander free from the kitsune's trail, to leave a satchel in your wake, marked with the sign for fox. It usually had a snack in them, and were considered an offering, so besides wild animals, it were usually left alone by others initially.

It totally worked too. Sure they checked for poison and such - some good snouts helped - but it were usually just something mundane that lasted well, like a couple of rice biscuits, and most kitsune would happily take a snack in exchange for leaving others alone.

Mind you, a lot of the time, they weren't there, and some wild animal, or hungry teenager took it, but it were still sage advice. Ah how he missed things like that... And not just the rice biscuits, though now he were thinking about it, Kozue did feel peckish. Hard to find a good rice biscuit these days.

She shrugged, "If you think there might be something else in there then it's worth looking. Hopefully it's not another invisible trap that you'll trigger by accident when you go looking for it. And I agree that we should warn the queen that someone might be controlled by this other kitsune. Maybe she's noticed some suspicious activity? Still, we should stick around here so Null and Arcade can find us when they're done with whatever's keeping them."

Kozue jumped in and had a look and a sniff around. Weren't much he seemed to gleam from the room, but something in there did make him sneeze, and shake his head.

"Urgh, Satchaka Root, right up the nostril. Gross.

Either he figured another kitsune would come around to check, and wanted to cover his smell, or he's on some heavy numbing meds. Done right, this stuff will make your head feel numb.

I see some stuff was moved out of here, so if there were clues, they're gone now, and I can't catch a smell proper with this stuff sprinkled here. I can at least say there's no ward in here, triggered or not. Your room seems to have been his only focus.

Well, we learned something at least, so we didn't waste our time, and I'm sure Bling will appreciate the warning, when we come around.

You met her, it sounds like? She tends to make an impression when you do. In my case, it was bafflement at first. I never figured I'd see a drone being treated like one of their queens, but I can't argue that she's doing what one should do. Well, not popping out eggs, but you know, leading and keeping them on track. After all the stuff that's happened the last few years, us that remains need our leader types.

What'd you think? Might as well chatter, if we're passing the time, yeah? I promise I'll behave."

He'd give a friendly grin, as he jumped back into their room, and sat down on the carpet, tail calmly wrapping around his paws.

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2024-08-27 at 3:17 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"O-Okay, we'll talk tonight. Just the two of us.

And uhm... Don't worry about the other thing. I got swept away, and just blurted it out. I'll tell you what it was later though. I promise. It's just... Not something to say in public."

Arcade's expression grew worried too, to match Null's, but it seemed he had the same idea that she did, that trying to talk more here would only cause more damage.

It was at the very least obvious to both of them that they were quite new at this.

"Oh no you don't. Ardee would kill me if I lost her new pet that easily."

She'd the put it back on her head, where it angrily stomped on her scalp a bit as she moved. She could feel a few hairs fall down, from the paper cutting it, but she had plenty to go with, and as such, she just ignored it. Though when they reached the stairs up, it would jump again, this time avoiding her grasp, and making its way alone, to where it assumed Ardee were. She'd be grumbling and speeding up herself due to it, but the little thing were surprisingly fast and nimble. It'd get to the others before the two of them had a chance. Unless Arcade got hold of it first, with his magic.

Arcade knew his magic was too crude to grab the paper fox with without risking damaging it, so he simply joined in running with Null to keep up with the fox, showing that he did have some impressive stamina for a dwarf unicorn, likely from all the time in the facility running from the horrors kept there.

(Ranger)

You met her, it sounds like? She tends to make an impression when you do. In my case, it was bafflement at first. I never figured I'd see a drone being treated like one of their queens, but I can't argue that she's doing what one should do. Well, not popping out eggs, but you know, leading and keeping them on track. After all the stuff that's happened the last few years, us that remains need our leader types.

What'd you think? Might as well chatter, if we're passing the time, yeah? I promise I'll behave."

Ranger nodded, "She greeted us when we first arrived at the hotel, got us situated and all. She seems nice, more so than the few I met before, but I don't really have much experience with changelings to say if she's a model example of her species or anything like that. As far as ponies go, she'd be one of the better ones I've met."

She would hear the commotion in the stairway from Null and Arcade chasing after the paper fox, "Sounds like they're back, and hopefully with the feathers. What do you think you'll be able to do with them?"

• Party! 1

@Illiad Easle

(Everyone)

On 2024-09-03 at 11:11 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Ranger nodded, "She greeted us when we first arrived at the hotel, got us situated and all. She seems nice, more so than the few I met before, but I don't really have much experience with changelings to say if she's a model example of her species or anything like that. As far as ponies go, she'd be one of the better ones I've met."

"Changelings are as varied as ponies can be, but not taking race into things, I think she's got her heart in the right place at the least. That's something I can respect. Especially these days."

Might be he hadn't been there for a lot of the worst things, but he still knew that many of the kind beings, hadn't made it through the war years. The selfish and ruthless, tended to survive better, than those trying to think of others. Not saying there weren't any, but the margin between selfish and selfless, were definitely more slim than before. Seeing one like Bling, were a nice sight for him, since as far as he knew at least, she weren't manipulating everyone for some grand scheme. Could be she were just really good at hiding it, but surely there were a straighter way if she had no scruples, right? She were basically in charge of the vast majority of changelings in town. She could get some assassinations sorted, if she had the want.

Seemed the peace were over, as the paper fox came rushing, ponies in tow, and went straight for its creator. Kozue grinning, would hold out a paw, as he had some inkling what it wanted. And true to his guess, it would jump up his leg, scale him, and then jump straight over from his back to Ranger. There, it would finally halt, and rub its head against her, whilst letting out a low, *kekeke* sound. The color it had when she last saw it, were beginning to fade, showing the effect were somewhat temporary, but it were perfectly fine beyond that. No visible damage or anything.

"Awh, that's cute. Just look at how attached its getting to you already."

"Fast little bugger too. But yeah, we got the feathers, and got it back unscathed too. So... Mission successful."

On 2024-09-03 at 11:11 PM, Illiad Easle said:

She would hear the commotion in the stairway from Null and Arcade chasing after the paper fox, "Sounds like they're back, and hopefully with the feathers. What do you think you'll be able to do with them?"

He would've waited to answer until now, as he wanted to see how things were gonna go, once they approached, and he certainly hadn't been disappointed. It was a nice little show, and a fair bit of affection on display, which he thoroughly enjoyed. It were good seeing his little creation growing affectionate.

"Heh. But you asked what I can do? I was thinking to use more paper, add some mass to this one, and most focus of that would be with some wings. A thin layer in the right places, mixed in with the paper, should give a solid foundation for a pair of strong flappers. But to make it good enough, it will end up being roughly the size of a regular fox kit. So... Yeah, about one and a half times its current size, but that's mostly in the wings. Unless you want it to be bigger in general? I could work with that, but that's your call."

The fox itself definitely had a preference, as it would jump up and down, at the thought of getting bigger. Yet Ranger should remember, that with a bigger fox, tended to come bigger mischief, even if it were also then more capable of handling things, like carrying stuff, or fight proper. He'd understand whatever she picked, and roll with that.

As for the excess... Well, you know my plan, if I end up being able to afford them, so we'll see what happens there. But this little bundle of joy should be possible to get sorted in like... Fifteen minutes? Oh, and I'd suggest getting some pamphlets ready for when I'm done. It's a taxing process to be altered, so I reckon it would appreciate the energy boost."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

On 2024-09-07 at 5:28 PM, Blitz Boom said:

So... Yeah, about one and a half times its current size, but that's mostly in the wings. Unless you want it to be bigger in general? I could work with that, but that's your call."

The fox itself definitely had a preference, as it would jump up and down, at the thought of getting bigger. Yet Ranger should remember, that with a bigger fox, tended to come bigger mischief, even if it were also then more capable of handling things, like carrying stuff, or fight proper. He'd understand whatever she picked, and roll with that.

Ranger looked thoughtful, "I don't have any issues with it being bigger. While it'll be too big to ride an arrow it being able to fly on its own would make up for that, plus being able to do more."

She nodded, "If that's easier, then go ahead."

On 2024-09-07 at 5:28 PM, Blitz Boom said:

As for the excess... Well, you know my plan, if I end up being able to afford them, so we'll see what happens there. But this little bundle of joy should be possible to get sorted in like... Fifteen minutes? Oh, and I'd suggest getting some pamphlets ready for when I'm done. It's a taxing process to be altered, so I reckon it would appreciate the energy boost."

She looked less sure about that, "That's right, we're supposed to discuss the value of these feathers and your modifications. To make sure this is a fair deal on both sides."

She looked over at Null and Arcade, "If I remember correctly, we considered Bling or the embassy to have them valued. And we have to go by the embassy anyway about my new mark. Maybe we go there first? see what these feathers are properly worth before making a trade?"

Null could suggest some alternative options, Grey Mare or the Dragons would likely be able to give fair valuations for the feathers.

If she agreed with heading to the embassy, they would be able to meet with assistant ambassador Dove, who had been with them on their first trip to New Pegas, to take care of both items.

The embassy itself wasn't all that busy, which is why they were able to get in a meeting so easily, and the process for registering her mark was straightforward, a single form to fill out with as much information on her as she had on hoof, her new name, and a photo of the mark on each side. This is where Null and Arcade would learn of her decision to call herself Ranger Delta.

When it came to valuing the feathers, the ambassador was surprised, "Real Minostralium? Well, Minostralium foil expertly wrapped around a primary feather."

She elected to weigh it, "Well, before the crisis this would go for about 1000 sand dollars per feather. But given how scarce its become since the crisis, I'd say it's worth anywhere between 10 and 100 thousand sand dollars each."

(Primary feathers are about 16 inches long so I estimated 48 square inches of foil per feather, so it went for $20 per square inch before, and now is valued at $200 to $2000 per square inch. Up to you how much is needed to make the modifications and how much the kitsune wants in payment knowing the street value.)

Now knowing the value, Ardee would want to keep at least half of whatever was not used to modify the fox, and would be hesitant if the kitsune asked for much more than that, depending on how much was needed to adjust the fox.

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

On 2024-09-13 at 10:02 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Ranger looked thoughtful, "I don't have any issues with it being bigger. While it'll be too big to ride an arrow it being able to fly on its own would make up for that, plus being able to do more."

She nodded, "If that's easier, then go ahead."

The fox jumped around in a circle, chittering excitedly as it heard that there wasn't any issue against it getting bigger, from Ranger's side. A sight that made Kozue chuckle, and light up a bit further. Seeing things like this, reminded him of different times. Better and calmer days, now long gone.

"Alright alright. I can see I'm outvoted. I'll get some size sorted for this properly, when were done with everything else here. You just say the word, and I'll go get some paper, and get to work."

She looked less sure about that, "That's right, we're supposed to discuss the value of these feathers and your modifications. To make sure this is a fair deal on both sides."

She looked over at Null and Arcade, "If I remember correctly, we considered Bling or the embassy to have them valued. And we have to go by the embassy anyway about my new mark. Maybe we go there first? see what these feathers are properly worth before making a trade?"

Null could suggest some alternative options, Grey Mare or the Dragons would likely be able to give fair valuations for the feathers.

"The embassy? Sounds as good a place as any. I'm game."

"I'm guessing they'll know this better than Bling anyway. I don't think she's used to dealing with rare valuables. Means we can get your paperwork sorted at the same time too, so I don't see a better option."

She didn't want to go and pester her sister over this, as they were just done with one thing regarding her, though she guessed that either her, or her shadow, would know something about this. And the dragons... They had to go see them, but she'd have this sorted first, then ask Ardee if she wanted to go. Even if the two knew something, they might end up being too busy fawning to really pay attention.

"There's a couple others who might know, but I think that might get complicated. They have an aura of influence, that gets others to worship them. Seems okay, all things considered, and did ask for me to come around at some point, after my protection ran out. Might be they are curious, or something else, I dunno. But they are important dragons, and gave me some hints in my hunts before. Maybe once we're done with this, you'd like to come along too, and see for yourself? They own another of the big casinos."

She'd talk directly to Ardee as she said this. If the mare wanted to go were up to her of course, but she had the option to decide for herself now.

If she agreed with heading to the embassy, they would be able to meet with assistant ambassador Dove, who had been with them on their first trip to New Pegas, to take care of both items.

The embassy itself wasn't all that busy, which is why they were able to get in a meeting so easily, and the process for registering her mark was straightforward, a single form to fill out with as much information on her as she had on hoof, her new name, and a photo of the mark on each side. This is where Null and Arcade would learn of her decision to call herself Ranger Delta.

Null was not surprised that Ardee had picked a name, but she hadn't expected this. Though as she'd say to the young mare, she did think it suited her rather well. Had a nice ring to it as well.

Made her wonder internally, about her and Void. Always felt funny to her, that born apart, they were yet given names that matched thematically to one another. She had assumed it was just coincidence for a long time, but these days, she just assumed that their father had named them, having some sort of premonition about it. She'd ask, but...

No, best to think of something else. This wasn't important anyway. Ard- Ranger, were.

When it came to valuing the feathers, the ambassador was surprised, "Real Minostralium? Well, Minostralium foil expertly wrapped around a primary feather."

She elected to weigh it, "Well, before the crisis this would go for about 1000 sand dollars per feather. But given how scarce its become since the crisis, I'd say it's worth anywhere between 10 and 100 thousand sand dollars each."

(Primary feathers are about 16 inches long so I estimated 48 square inches of foil per feather, so it went for $20 per square inch before, and now is valued at $200 to $2000 per square inch. Up to you how much is needed to make the modifications and how much the kitsune wants in payment knowing the street value.)

Now knowing the value, Ardee would want to keep at least half of whatever was not used to modify the fox, and would be hesitant if the kitsune asked for much more than that, depending on how much was needed to adjust the fox.

Kozue would let out an impressed whistle, hearing the price on these, then grabbed himself in it and put a paw up in front of his mouth. This wasn't some regular folks. This was an embassy. He had to be a bit more serious in this place.

"Sorry about that, I was just surprised. You stumbled into a real gold mine here, Ranger. Pretty nice.

Let's see, you had three feathers. If the lil' ones gonna need size, and the strength to do something, you'd probably want two for it, so it have some oomph. The last... I dunno, I think I could do with a third of a feather? maybe a fourth? Should be enough to make a mark over a trinket of my own, that'd still be meaningful. Up to you, but definitely not more than a third of a feather. I don't think even with us getting to some agreement on what me helping with your friend here have of value, I could afford more than that.

It's up to you. If you wanna keep a full feather, I'll respect that, and I won't back out of helping the lil' one. We'll just think of something else."

He didn't mind helping, but he would be honest, that he would get a little sad, getting through with none of this, as he'd like to at the least show something the size of an apple slice, that had a symbol written on it, in this metal. It would hold some significance for his kin, if he ran into them, and might help to more easily get them to talk with him. Though he was no thief. If she wasn't game, after hearing the value, and/or wanted to keep it all for herself, and her new friend, that sucked, but it were her choice, and he wasn't gonna try and skim off the top.

He might be a trickster, but that didn't mean he stole stuff. He had some semblance of honor and integrity, that he liked to hold to.

Null in the meantime, had become truly surprised as she heard the value of this. She had two coins of this stuff. That were a notable amount, yes? Maybe she knew what to do with them after all, in that case... Provided she could find a buyer anyway, and had this evaluated specifically, in case of impurities.

Not something for herself though. No, she figured it'd be helpful for Void's store. Might mean she could get a few upgrades done, or fix the place up a bit more. Perhaps get it all fixed up in a way so she could easier use it fora residential area too, rather than live with their parents? That'd be good for when she'd eventually start dating. Which she might already have, when she returned to Troy.

...That reminded her, that she had to go and threaten Molotov when they got back. Had to be a proper big sister here, and let him know what'd happen, if he tried anything funny.

@Blitz Boom

On 2024-09-17 at 3:23 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"There's a couple others who might know, but I think that might get complicated. They have an aura of influence, that gets others to worship them. Seems okay, all things considered, and did ask for me to come around at some point, after my protection ran out. Might be they are curious, or something else, I dunno. But they are important dragons, and gave me some hints in my hunts before. Maybe once we're done with this, you'd like to come along too, and see for yourself? They own another of the big casinos."

She'd talk directly to Ardee as she said this. If the mare wanted to go were up to her of course, but she had the option to decide for herself now.

Ranger looked intrigued, "Sure, it'll be nice to actually see some more of this city than just our casino and the street at night."

She had assumed it was just coincidence for a long time, but these days, she just assumed that their father had named them, having some sort of premonition about it. She'd ask, but...

No, best to think of something else. This wasn't important anyway. Ard- Ranger, were.

This was normally when Nine would join in with some sort of quip, maybe indicating whether Epsilon fit the pattern or not, but the specter was still out. 

Speaking of, how would she call him back when she was ready? They hadn't exactly set a place or time to meet back up, or a signal that she was ready to return.

But all this might not register with her, seeing as Nine wasn't there to send this thought across her mind.

Null in the meantime, had become truly surprised as she heard the value of this. She had two coins of this stuff. That were a notable amount, yes? Maybe she knew what to do with them after all, in that case... Provided she could find a buyer anyway, and had this evaluated specifically, in case of impurities.

Nine would have commented here that she had 3 coins, not 2, each one weighing more than the two plated feathers she had in her prosthetic wing, and that she already knew a few potential buyers, among which was the Consul, Vale, and Basher.

But again, Nine wasn't there to remind her of these facts.

It's up to you. If you wanna keep a full feather, I'll respect that, and I won't back out of helping the lil' one. We'll just think of something else."

Most of the numbers went over Ranger's head, but she got the impression that it was a lot. When it came to Kozue's offer, she sighed as she thought. Eventually she nodded, "If a third is all you'll take, I'll give it to you."

She retrieved the feathers from the scale to store them under her own wing, "Thank you Ambassador."

Dove nodded, "You're welcome, and congratulations."

If they needed anything else at the embassy they could ask before leaving. Once outside Ranger would ask, "How much time do you need to make the adjustments? I'm thinking we can leave you to take care of that while we go and see what the dragons want? Unless you want us there while you're working?"

• Party! 1

@Illiad Easle

On 2024-09-20 at 10:59 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Ranger looked intrigued, "Sure, it'll be nice to actually see some more of this city than just our casino and the street at night."

Null nodded at the reply.

"Alright. When we're done at the embassy, we'll go straight there, but after that you'll be on your own for a while. Arcade and I need some time to talk, before we turn our gaze home."

Home... It were still weird to her, to think of Troy that way, yet it were now, wasn't it? Or at least, her base, whilst her travels in service of Vengeance, would take her far and wide. Perhaps she'd even lose the sense of having a home again like this, who knew? Though, she doubted it. Even if she couldn't settle down that easily, most of her family would be in Troy. That made it home to her, no matter how far off she'd wander. At least she hoped it would, as she didn't want to have that feeling of not belonging anywhere again.

As for her and Arcade, she would have them do these things. They shouldn't take too long, and after that, they'd have time to talk. She'd trust that Ranger kept herself safe until then.

"Hey, if you want, I could show you around town a bit while they talk. It's got its nice sides too, and I don't have any shows until late tonight. Setup only takes like half an hour, so I got some time to kill if it is."

Kozue were more than happy to step in if it were. He'd enjoy hanging out with someone again, which sadly weren't something he had done for a bit. Hizu didn't much roam around, and his griffon friend were a bit intense for him, so he didn't know how to approach Florence yet. And the two con artists... He knew what they'd use him for, and he weren't having any of that. He wasn't getting kicked out of town because they used him to nick some wallets or whatever other scheme they'd lure him into.

This was normally when Nine would join in with some sort of quip, maybe indicating whether Epsilon fit the pattern or not, but the specter was still out. 

Speaking of, how would she call him back when she was ready? They hadn't exactly set a place or time to meet back up, or a signal that she was ready to return.

But all this might not register with her, seeing as Nine wasn't there to send this thought across her mind.

Null weren't thinking about it, as her mind were occupied with other things right now, but she assumed at the time that he left, that Nine would know how to find her, and would come back of his own accord. Weren't like she could track him down after all, so he had to find her, and since he hadn't given her a time or meetup space, it seemed like he were planning to do so, yes?

Nine would have commented here that she had 3 coins, not 2, each one weighing more than the two plated feathers she had in her prosthetic wing, and that she already knew a few potential buyers, among which was the Consul, Vale, and Basher.

But again, Nine wasn't there to remind her of these facts.

It might come into her head later, but it were likely that Nine would just look over her recent memory when time were, and remind her off it, before it came up from her side again.

Most of the numbers went over Ranger's head, but she got the impression that it was a lot. When it came to Kozue's offer, she sighed as she thought. Eventually she nodded, "If a third is all you'll take, I'll give it to you."

She retrieved the feathers from the scale to store them under her own wing, "Thank you Ambassador."

Dove nodded, "You're welcome, and congratulations."

When Ranger agreed to let him have a third of a feather, Kozue would light up, and a high pitched, joyful yip would escape his mouth, as he made a jump in place. He'd then instantly hold his right front paws up in front of his mouth when he landed, before clearing his throat. His fur didn't allow it to be seen that he were embarrassed, but his ears did flop a little, and his tone said as much, when he spoke up.

"Oh I'm uh... Sorry about that. I just got thrilled and it burst out of me. I'll try not to do that again here, Ambassador."

The casino was one thing, but come on, this was an embassy! He should be a better example of his kind than that in here. Even if he had become really happy with what he had been told.

If they needed anything else at the embassy they could ask before leaving. Once outside Ranger would ask, "How much time do you need to make the adjustments? I'm thinking we can leave you to take care of that while we go and see what the dragons want? Unless you want us there while you're working?"

He hadn't more to say in there, except an apology more if needed, though hopefully his little... Surprise outburst, wouldn't need to result in that. or guards getting involved. It were just joy, not an attack.

Provided nothing had happened, Null would have given her goodbyes to Dove, and wishing her good luck.

Once they were outside all of them, and the question were put out into the air, Kozue would be the first to respond, though she'd come in with a reply straight after.

"I can sort this on my own, no worries. Just gimme like... An hour at most. It'll give me enough time to find the right paper too."

"We'll go to the other casino in the meantime. Dunno how long it'll be, but I guess you'll be in the theater?"

"My room, but it's pretty close to, and if you'll take longer, It's the floor beneath where you had yours. Room 12.

Come on you little rascal. Let's get you shined up so you can show off to your friend."

The paper fox would jump over and jump up and down on his head, clearly looking forward to this.

All Kozue needed now, were the two feathers, and he'd go get to work.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(I figured out Teal's mark and talent! So that's upcoming.)

"Alright. When we're done at the embassy, we'll go straight there, but after that you'll be on your own for a while. Arcade and I need some time to talk, before we turn our gaze home."

Home... It were still weird to her, to think of Troy that way, yet it were now, wasn't it? Or at least, her base, whilst her travels in service of Vengeance, would take her far and wide. Perhaps she'd even lose the sense of having a home again like this, who knew? Though, she doubted it. Even if she couldn't settle down that easily, most of her family would be in Troy. That made it home to her, no matter how far off she'd wander. At least she hoped it would, as she didn't want to have that feeling of not belonging anywhere again.

Ranger nodded, "Sounds like a plan." She looked a bit concerned as to what the two of them had to talk alone about, but Arcade waved her off, "It isn't about you, and it isn't about last night. Not mostly at least."

She seemed somewhat comforted by that, "I was worried I was getting between you two, like I did when you first invited me to come along."

"Hey, if you want, I could show you around town a bit while they talk. It's got its nice sides too, and I don't have any shows until late tonight. Setup only takes like half an hour, so I got some time to kill if it is."

Kozue were more than happy to step in if it were. He'd enjoy hanging out with someone again, which sadly weren't something he had done for a bit. Hizu didn't much roam around, and his griffon friend were a bit intense for him, so he didn't know how to approach Florence yet. And the two con artists... He knew what they'd use him for, and he weren't having any of that. He wasn't getting kicked out of town because they used him to nick some wallets or whatever other scheme they'd lure him into.

She smiled but shook her head, "I appreciate it, but I think I'd like to see the town for myself. Besides, I'll have my new bigger fox buddy to keep me company."

She looked thoughtful. "Hmm, I'll probably have to give them a name too." She shrugged, "I'll see what comes to mind once I see them full sized."

23 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

When Ranger agreed to let him have a third of a feather, Kozue would light up, and a high pitched, joyful yip would escape his mouth, as he made a jump in place. He'd then instantly hold his right front paws up in front of his mouth when he landed, before clearing his throat. His fur didn't allow it to be seen that he were embarrassed, but his ears did flop a little, and his tone said as much, when he spoke up.

"Oh I'm uh... Sorry about that. I just got thrilled and it burst out of me. I'll try not to do that again here, Ambassador."

The casino was one thing, but come on, this was an embassy! He should be a better example of his kind than that in here. Even if he had become really happy with what he had been told.

The ambassador didn't seem annoyed by his outburst, "It's alright, I'm glad I was able to help you all reach an agreeable exchange."

23 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"I can sort this on my own, no worries. Just gimme like... An hour at most. It'll give me enough time to find the right paper too."

"We'll go to the other casino in the meantime. Dunno how long it'll be, but I guess you'll be in the theater?"

"My room, but it's pretty close to, and if you'll take longer, It's the floor beneath where you had yours. Room 12.

Come on you little rascal. Let's get you shined up so you can show off to your friend."

The paper fox would jump over and jump up and down on his head, clearly looking forward to this.

All Kozue needed now, were the two feathers, and he'd go get to work.

Ranger would give Kozue all three of the feathers, citing that he'd probably have an easier time breaking it into thirds than she would, and that she trusted him not to take advantage of her trust here. "Also, I don't need or want the actual feathers inside, if you can get them out without losing too much of the metal, I'd appreciate it."

All that said, it was time for them to go their separate ways, parting at the large mosaic in the center of town.

The Tartarus Pits looked just as imposing as it ever had, maybe a little darker than before? She couldn't tell if it felt much different from the last time she had come with the benefit of her anti-magical curse.

Arcade commented, "Is it just me? Or does this place seem... harsher?"

Unless Null decided to call off the event, they'd soon be inside. Entering the casino had a drastic shift in lighting, while outside it was fairly bright, inside it was as if it were nearly evening, the darkness lending a certain chill to the atmosphere.

"Oi", a fierce looking gryphon at the front desk called out to them, maybe the same one as last time? "You two again?" probably the same one. "And you brought a friend. Hope you know what you're getting into."

They'd soon be approached by fairly handsome stallion with the same vacant expression shared by all those who spent too much time around the dragons. "Two of you are expected, but a third is always welcome. Follow."

As before, the paths through the casino were dimly lit and winding, though there seemed to be slightly fewer patrons here than last time, maybe her sister had made some progress cleaning up? Nine wasn't here to remind her how much debt was present on the ponies here the previous time, or if there was a measurable difference between the two.

Rather than take them through the large ornate doorway like they had been the first time, they were led to a side entrance to the chamber, where the dragons were hidden from view by a curtain. "Sit here, don't pass through the curtain unless invited." The stallion then passed quickly through the curtain, "I've brought the two you told me to watch for. They had another with them."

There was an intake of breath, then a voice.

Null could tell that it was the dragons speaking, recognizing the tone, but who was speaking didn't seem all that important so much as the words, the perfect angelic words,

"You've done well."

Null's experience with several lesser gods might reduce the power that the godly voices of the dragons had, but there was no mistaking that it was the voice of a god, and the fact that she knew they weren't really gods didn't seem all that important at the moment.

Arcade on the other hoof, having never experienced any god before, seemed absolutely elated at the praise he had heard, even if it hadn't been directed at him, so too did Ranger, albeit to a lesser extent. She seemed nervous, like she had been caught trespassing and was unworthy to be present.