Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Deep Science 1x1 with Blitz Boom

Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

The second that the picture came down on the table, Null would speak up. The mare wouldn't have the chance to walk off without hearing the comment, and likely looking at Null too, as she looked up to give the mare a glare, that spoke of how unwanted her presence were. As well as unspeakable things happening to her, if Null had half the chance.

"Tell him that if he tries, I'll stir his insides with his own bat."

It were up to him to determine in what way she were going to reach said insides, but she did still have the bat. It were not exactly like he'd remember it anymore though. After it had broken the last time, it had been reinforced, so it had a part that were more metallic now, to cover for the wood that had broken off. Or well, a metal covering. It'd get too heavy, if it were fully iron after all, but the reinforcement and nails through the woof, bent and filed down on both ends, should mean it would the old and new wood, as well as the metal coating, should stay together.

She had it stashed at the hotel though. Too notable to bring, so it was packaged up securely. At least it was the last time she saw it.

She wasn't gonna stop the odd one from leaving, so she could waddle off like she wanted to. Though she did get a lot of attention from the kitsune, who'd look up from his cup and stare unblinkingly at the mare. Must be something odd with the lighting in here though. Almost looked like there were a golden sheen going over his eyes as he did so.

If there were nothing else, Null would leave the cup there, and then be on her way. She had a sister to visit, and get a few things sorted it seemed, if the security in this town were that lackluster. The kitsune would stay a bit longer, but go too, a few seconds after Null had left, and begun to fly down. He had some other things to deal with, and judging by the look on his face, he did not look forward to it.

===================================================================

(Hotel)

The paper fox did notice it, and jumped over to snatch it from him. However, it assumed it were a gift for it, and thus, would open its tiny mouth, and chomp on it, after it got it loose from the pegasus. Then run off and settle on a nearby hard surface, with little in the way of wind or movement causing it, where it would start to... Well, Kozue had warned them that the little golem ate words, and they'd see what he meant, when the little one would let go of the paper, then lower its head, and chomp the letters right off the paper. Randomly going for several at a time, getting chomped up like it were actual food. The elongated letters especially were good, as it could slurp those up like a spaghetti, but a nice, crunchy Q or O, wasn't bad either.

They could try and stop it. It would take the paper and run away, if they did try, avoiding them as it *ate*. Ardee was the only one who it'd listen to, if it were told to stop, and hoof it over. It weren't happy about it, and ate an S or I before reluctantly giving it over. So depending on how long it had been, there'd be a few, or many letters missing. Potentially even all of them. The numbers would be the last to be touched though. Likely saved for desert.

In fairness the the yet-unnamed paper fox, it hadn't been told that this were a message to pass along. How were it to know that a slap of paper wasn't meant as a snack for it?

=====================================================================

(Cherish)

On 2023-09-12 at 11:28 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Toupé shrugged, "Not so much interesting as... " she trailed off, "I just have more questions the more I look, but I guess that's the point of this place, to find answers, but also find more questions."

Cherish hadn't the chance to say something, but she figured that this meant that Ardee had been reading up on cutie marks, and were going down a bit of a rabbit hole, as to the why and how they worked, the meaning, purpose, etc. Honestly, Cherish hadn't a clue how it worked. She had just been told the story they all got, about how it would show, the meaning, etc. But why they happened, how just doing certain things triggered them... She hadn't the faintest idea. Some sort of magic obviously, but what more? Chemistry? Biology? Occultism? That sorta thing, were for smarter ponies to figure out.

On 2023-09-12 at 11:28 PM, Illiad Easle said:

She blew on the sand, as though dusting off a book, to reveal a scene hidden beneath. It was of several camels surrounding an oasis, "Many generations ago, before this great city was even imagined, there was the desert, the camels, and the oases. Some camels would spend their whole lives at one oasis, others would journey the sands to other oases, some would search, and never return." As she spoke the image shifted, showing some camels moving to other oases, and some camels simply disappearing into the sand.

"Over time, camels built up the oases, cleaning them, cultivating their plants, forming them into havens for those less suited for traveling the desert. Every camel managed their portion, and all efforts served to benefit all others. You can't improve the water in just your part, you'll only hinder yourself trying not to benefit others, so it is best to help those around you, so that you may be bettered yourself."

A depression formed in the sand, and the camel poured some water into it, forming a shallow pool in the sand. In front of each of the children, a seed emerged from the sand, "Go ahead, come closer, plant your seed near the oasis, see if you can work together to beautify it."

The next part of their excursion here, were something that Cherish hadn't expected at all. She hadn't even seen a camel proper before this, and now here were one. A history speaker, kinda like what Elef had spoken about earlier, telling them stories, and showing them her magic. Some sort of geomancy variation it seemed, as she were able to manipulate the sand. It was so cool looking! Way different from the stuff she had been used to seeing back in her old school.

She wouldn't say a word, and just listen in, as it were clear they were meant to, but she sure did have some questions in mind. It would probably have to be for another time, or something to read up on, but right now, it were important they they listened, and learned, as the camel weaved sand into story, before their very eyes. All the while, fascinating Cherish, though she did also wonder, what Elef would be thinking right now. He wanted to be a story teller, sorta like this, yes? She wondered if then, perhaps he'd be inspired by what he saw here too, like he had for the thestral story teller, that he had been so enamored with, judging by how he had spoken about that one earlier.

When the seeds were risen out of the sand in front of them, Cherish would carefully grab the one in front of her, worried that she'd end up maybe breaking it, if she were to handle it too forcefully.

When it came to planting it though, she wasn't sure what exactly to do here though. Her instinct told her to work with the others, and wait, but at the same time, if they were to just work together - presumably without talking about it at length first - maybe...

She would get closer to the water, and hold her seed up, over near the edge of where she were, but did not plant it yet. She would instead look around on the others, seeing what their thought were, about where she were looking at planting it. It wouldn't do, to just think of only herself in this, right? She were relatively sure that is what the story teller wanted to say too. That they had to agree on how to do things, and not for instance, try and hog all the water. If it were instead something like them being supposed to draw through the sand, to change the look of the oasis, and expanding the area they had to cultivate in, she had no idea. The thought didn't even cross her mind, nor did many others. Cooperation were her usual stance to things, as were thinking of others, so her seed wouldn't be planted right now, as she waited to see what the others were doing. She might well see them going with another plan, and work along them, at that instead of her own idea. Better let the ones with the better plan lead, right?

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-09-14 at 8:39 AM, Blitz Boom said:

She had a sister to visit, and get a few things sorted it seemed,

Arriving at the hall of judgement, (Which is where she'd have to go to see Epsilon since I assume she wasn't planning to go see Void right now) Null would find the place, while not exactly bustling, did have a number of creatures coming and going. It looked like now that the Grey were in the shadows that a real legal system was taking shape, at least on the surface. Null had never been here before though (So far as I can remember) so she didn't know if it was any busier than it had been before.

There was a line of creatures leading up to a central desk, as well as a few doors and hallways.

If she asked Nine how to get to Epsilon, he would explain: "It looks like... oh, there's the path. It seems that you're expected, or were noticed at least. Lets just hide you so no one gets suspicious first."

There would be a feeling of cold over her, but Null wouldn't notice a difference. It wasn't like creatures were running into her or acting like they couldn't see her.

Null would see a line to follow, if she followed it it would lead her down a series of hallways and through a few offices, but those she passed didn't seem to care about her presence or passage.

Eventually she would arrive at another office, modeled similarly to Mr. House's office before his passing. Epsilon was there, sitting as though waiting for her. She didn't speak, waiting for Null to make the first move.

(Hotel)

The pegasus didn't react to the fox running off with the note, as he was trying to pass it secretly anyway and the fox eating the words would obfuscate what was written anyway. 

Arcade continued, "Alright, we'll get you a map. You going to be here when we come back?"

The pegasus shook his head, "I'll find you, can't stay too long in one place, don't want to get spotted talking to you or certain ponies will get suspicious."

With that he stood to leave, "We'll be back in touch soon, I hope you'll have a map on you when we do."

As he stretched to leave they'd be able to see that he was missing several of his primary feathers, like they had been torn out. Despite this it didn't seem to hinder him much as he flew off.

Arcade, returning his sight to the clouds, would catch when Null flew down from above, and headed straight for the judgement hall instead of the hotel, "That's not a good sign. Maybe we should go check on her?"

Ardee went to see where her paper fox had run off to, thinking nothing of the paper it was eating, "Might be better to stay here? We wouldn't want to be missing when she gets back, or get lost trying to find her."

Arcade sighed, "That's fair, I'm going to find a map, then we can head inside, I think it's time we ate something anyway."

(Cherish)

On 2023-09-14 at 8:39 AM, Blitz Boom said:

When the seeds were risen out of the sand in front of them, Cherish would carefully grab the one in front of her, worried that she'd end up maybe breaking it, if she were to handle it too forcefully.

In picking it up she'd find that it felt rough, like it was also made of sand. Something that would become apparent when Lilac did press too hard on it, and it fell apart, "Sorry miss camel, I broke it."

The camel smiled, shaking her head, "It's alright, this is just an example after all." And another seed rose out of the basin for her to use.

The rest of the ponies moved to put their seeds near the oasis, and in pushing them into the sand it shifted so that plants and greenery started to grow around where the seed had been placed. Each added seed increased the greenery for the whole oasis, rather than just where it was planted.

Once all the seeds were placed the camel nodded, "Very good. When you are not concerned with only helping yourself, you better the world, and then the world is better for you."

She withdrew her hoof from the sand, and it returned to its flat state, which disappointed Lilac, but the camel continued, "I do have some real seeds for you that will grow with a little care." She pulled out a dish that had a small pile of seeds in it, which she passed to Gypsum, "I hope with time you'll be able to watch them grow, and remember my lesson for you. Now, do you have any questions for me?"

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

It were good that she had Nine to rely on for this. Truth be told, while she knew where the hall were, she hadn't the faintest clue after that, and it seemed like there were more than just her variant of inquiries here. A bunch of regular beings, here to handle things with the front facing law in town now, she'd wager. Seemed like they had plenty of problems here, judging by said line. Honestly not a surprise, considering what she had seen just the past ten minutes. In some ways, you could question why it wasn't longer. Then again, the day wasn't over yet. There were time.

The chill going over her were still something she weren't used to. Hadn't used it much either she supposed, so there were that. Whatever, it got the job done, and afterwards, she'd get directions on where to travel, to meet her fledging sister. The second one, whom she had failed...

She didn't say a word out loud, as she wandered down the hall, seemingly ignored entirely by those she passed. She thought plenty though. Mostly on Epsilon. The sister she didn't knew she had, before it were too late to do something about it. The one whom she had taken everyone from, and doomed to continue the cycle of misery and death, that were the legacy of their bloodline.

...It would be better if it had been her... Epsilon seemed a good mare, the times she had met her, prior to this. She shouldn't have to shoulder this sickness, while Void and her walked free... It wasn't just.

*sigh* But what were, in their bloodline? What fairness were there to find, in a line cursed by the stupidity of one? A curse that took and took, and gave nothing but death in return. This wasn't right, but as it stood now, she couldn't change a thing. She were too weak to save either of them then, and though she had will, she hadn't the tools to change a thing. Not yet. Someday though, she'd find an answer. There had to be one, right?

It would not be long, before she were faced with the one, whom had been in her thoughts as she wandered through, as well as several times, since it were revealed how they were connected.

She'd show the mare the respect that it were, to nod her head towards her, but otherwise, Null's gaze would remain on Epsilon's own.

"It's been a while, Epsilon."

She could growl or shout all she wanted to at Null. She were not going to simply call her Grey Mare. Not when it were just the two of them. She hated the title of the Grey, and would not give it respect. But she would show Epsilon some. She deserved as much.

"I take it you know why we're here then. To finish a problem, that slipped away at Tartarus.

I've met one of his underlings. Seems like he enjoys spiking drinks, and making threats. Considered breaking his legs, but something told me, it'd be better to go here, and speak with you, before I rushed this.

I won't hold back long now. He threatened someone who matters to me, and he's going to pay for it. But this is your town. Your authority.

So I'm asking you, directly: How far can and should I go, to bring him in? And why can him and his, travel soo freely here? I get the feeling I haven't been told everything."

She were sent in to deal with him. A single individual. Then it turns out he has some underlings. That is what it is. Some would always gravitate towards someone with authority. But then it seemed, they could randomly go around, taking pictures of others, to make threats with. In a town where The Grey had a presence, and had members that were certainly more experienced in this, than she were. How come, he were not found? And how many actually worked for him? Because she were starting to get the feeling, that Basher had more significant beings on his side, than she had believed to be true in the first place And if that were, she had to get Arcade and Ardee out of here. Fast. She wouldn't be able to show her face in Troy again, if she returned without a living Ardee. Nor forgive herself, for letting it happen in the first place.

===================================================================================

(Hotel)

The fox would finish its meal, leaving a blank slab of paper. Technically it didn't need to eat anything. It were a construct made of paper and magic. But the instinct were there, so they tended to do this anyway. Usually you could still read the last thing they ate though, if you unfolded them, though it were not something that you just did. The thing would resist if she tried to force it open like that. The trick were simply to ask, so it could unfold and refold again, without wrinkles or potentially ripped parts, from someone sloppily trying to get it open, to see what were inside.

It wouldn't have much interest in a map though. Some letters yes, but most were just pictures and lines, and the letters were tiny. Barely worth chomping up, unless it felt like messing around for a laugh.

Once it were done with it's snack, it'd come bouncing over again, so it could follow Ardee as they moved away. If given half the chance, it would jump on a few things, to get up on her back, and then subsequently head, so that it could have a better vantage point. It didn't weigh a lot - a little more than an empty soda can - so she shouldn't feel it being that much of an issue. 

As for the pegasus? It didn't much care for him, beyond the fact that he had given it a snack. It weren't his recipient. That was Ardee. it also wasn't her friend, so unless something changed, it were just a pony. Nothing special or interesting about him. Though the other one would likely have had some choice words, if she had been here right now. That little pony seemed to glare suspiciously at a lot of things.

==================================================================================

(Cherish)

Might be the seeds weren't real, but that didn't make the scenery unfolding before them any less pretty, or impressive. A small scale oasis, sprawling and flourishing, right before their eyes.

Cherish had her eyes fixated on it, until it would eventually crumble away, as the lesson reached its end. She'd never seen magic like this before, and that just made it all the more intriguing. A great way to tell a story too, as it certainly had her focused on it, from start to finish, and probably would remember this for a good long while.

She were surprised when they were presented with a bowl of real seeds though. Were they supposed to plant them too? Were this secretly a biology class, or were the seeds magically enhanced? She were told something in school about some magical trees, that could grow really fast like that. It had been a lesson in myths and legends though, and they were told to take it with a grain of salt, so who knew how accurate it actually were?

When the part came, when they could ask questions, Cherish at least, had her hoof up, waiting eagerly to be addressed. She had several questions, but two were in front for her at least. One because it touched on something she actually had heard about and seen before, and another because it seemed odd not to know.

SO when it would eventually be her turn, she'd ask them in order. Though if the first had already been asked, she would skip straight to the second one.

"Can I ask what your name is, miss?

And the stuff with the sand. is that geomancy? We had someone showing and telling us about that school of magic, back in my old school once. She said it encompassed all kinds of stuff with earth and rocks."

It hadn't been exactly like this. She had made rocks float around, and molded clay and a bit of metal. Wasn't the same as sand, but wasn't sand technically just tiny, tiny rocks? Wouldn't that count then? She didn't know, and hence she asked. Same with the name. It seemed something that's be nice to know, so they could address the historian properly. Manners were important.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-09-19 at 4:29 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"It's been a while, Epsilon."

Only she didn't say Epsilon, despite her intention she found herself saying the words "Gray Mare" instead. If she thought about it Nine would deny any involvement, but would indicate a suspicion that Nibiru might have something to do with it.

If Null tried harder to say Epsilon, she would raise a hoof to stop her and shake her head, "My shadow takes my title quite seriously. It's best not to fight it."

Otherwise, she would listen to what Null had to say as she continued.

I won't hold back long now. He threatened someone who matters to me, and he's going to pay for it. But this is your town. Your authority.

So I'm asking you, directly: How far can and should I go, to bring him in? And why can him and his, travel soo freely here? I get the feeling I haven't been told everything."

Epsilon shook her head, "This isn't my town, nor do I have authority over you. That isn't how the Grey operates, not anymore. You answer to Vengeance and the Avatar of Vengeance. As do I. In that respect we are equal in standing."

She sighed, "That being said, your target has been assigned to you, no member of the Grey will make a move against them, unless you yourself agree, and agree to share the bounty. If you want some help, I can arrange that for you. As to why they travel so freely..." She shook her head, "Times are always tough when the leader changes. Everyone has to be retrained, reevaluated. Many of my best operatives have fulfilled their penance and then some, and so were allowed to leave the service. Without qualified recruits to bring in the gang members alive there isn't much I can do. We are making progress, slowly, but the world is a mess out there. If you can believe it this is still one of the safer places out there. You haven't had to deal with the roaming gangs or the legion remnants."

She brought her hooves together, "That is why Vengeance hopes you can bring your target in alive. You bring in the leader, he can be made to bring in the rest of his gang. They Grey gets the influx of members it needs to better patrol from the shadows, and things improve. Now, I do have some information for you, if you want it, free of charge. There are rumors that your target is planning something big for the near future, doing a lot more recruiting than usual. The theory right now is that he intends to replace one of the leaders, and given the state of the cloud district, it's likely to be the Host."

(Hotel)

There had been a little secret in the note, a small magical symbol hidden as a punctuation. small enough to be swallowed whole by the fox, and hard enough to discourage the fox from trying to break it apart anyway. Besides, it resembled a full stop anyway, the fox probably didn't even notice.

What mattered was that the innocuous little symbol was now inside. Inert for now.

(Unless you have something in mind for them, they'll wait inside the hotel until Null comes back for them. So this can be paused while Null and Epsilon talk.)

(Cherish)

"Can I ask what your name is, miss?

The camel nodded, "You may."  She paused for a bit as though she weren't going to continue, then smiled before answering, "I am called Sandscroll."

And the stuff with the sand. is that geomancy? We had someone showing and telling us about that school of magic, back in my old school once. She said it encompassed all kinds of stuff with earth and rocks."

Sandscroll looked thoughtful before nodding, "In a way. Camels all share a connection to the desert and its sands, much like earth ponies have a connection to the ground and the life within it. Almost all camels find it easier to cross the sands than any other terrain, and some, like me, can shape it to our will. However, my power is limited. You'll see that the sand in this basin is soft to the touch, that is because it is made with just the smallest pieces and purest sands. Rough sand like what surrounds this city is harder to work with, more stubborn."

(I'll get other student questions in the next one, sorry.)

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2023-09-26 at 11:39 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"My shadow takes my title quite seriously. It's best not to fight it."

Null were not thrilled that she were essentially censored, but that would just add another point to her board on why she wanted to stomp that shadow. And that board were not exactly clean to begin with. But that wasn't important currently. Let it play its games for now, she had more important things to do here, than to get into a bickering fight with that thing. So she would continue speaking, annoyed, and having a slight pause, but things would proceed as they should.

On 2023-09-26 at 11:39 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Epsilon shook her head, "This isn't my town, nor do I have authority over you. That isn't how the Grey operates, not anymore. You answer to Vengeance and the Avatar of Vengeance. As do I. In that respect we are equal in standing."

She sighed, "That being said, your target has been assigned to you, no member of the Grey will make a move against them, unless you yourself agree, and agree to share the bounty. If you want some help, I can arrange that for you. As to why they travel so freely..." She shook her head, "Times are always tough when the leader changes. Everyone has to be retrained, reevaluated. Many of my best operatives have fulfilled their penance and then some, and so were allowed to leave the service. Without qualified recruits to bring in the gang members alive there isn't much I can do. We are making progress, slowly, but the world is a mess out there. If you can believe it this is still one of the safer places out there. You haven't had to deal with the roaming gangs or the legion remnants."

She brought her hooves together, "That is why Vengeance hopes you can bring your target in alive. You bring in the leader, he can be made to bring in the rest of his gang. They Grey gets the influx of members it needs to better patrol from the shadows, and things improve. Now, I do have some information for you, if you want it, free of charge. There are rumors that your target is planning something big for the near future, doing a lot more recruiting than usual. The theory right now is that he intends to replace one of the leaders, and given the state of the cloud district, it's likely to be the Host."

"I weren't aware the ranks had come in such disarray. No wonder things are less in check than I expected. I'm sorry for being presumptuous about this, Grey Mare."

It were her sister. She were more okay apologizing to her, than to many others. Though the word did sting in her throat for a moment, if she had to be honest.

"Makes sense why you'd want him and his alive too. He's a twonk, but Basher isn't green behind the ears., Properly leashed, he might be an asset. I'll try and refrain from bashing his skull in when I see him. Can't make any promises about his legs though, but that's depending on how difficult he wanna be. And if he's trying to replace one of the leading forces in town, that means he's gonna be a a big one soon, if he ain't kept in check.

I'm surprised it ain't the changeling he's trying to off instead, but I'm guessing there's too many of them to make it worth his time trying to keep them all in line, if he goes for the top. The Host doesn't sound easy though. He's a pretty easy target, but Basher would have to go through Ninja for that, and that guy have bad news written all over him. You don't need to see the sorta things I can now, to know that.

*sigh* But I trust your intel on this, so much as I loathe it, I'm gonna have to go have a chatter with them then, and see if they had any sorta threats or anything going on. Give 'em a warning at least.

As for sharing the bounty, I ain't against it, if it gets the job done. He's trying to clamp down on me, by threatening those I'm here with. Even took pictures. Makes it pretty obvious that he's ready to strike from many sides. The more muscle on this, the simpler it'd be to be ready for what he's gonna end up doing.

Basher alone I can handle fine. I beat him up before, and I ain't keen on letting him get away again. It's the others I'm getting worried for. Ain't safe to send them out of town on their own. Dunno who works for Basher, if he's really been recruiting as much as he has, so can't tell who to trust 'em 'round either. Things are a mess.

I'll keep 'em close for now, but like I said, I don't mind sharing the bounty, if it keeps them alive. Besides, if they're after them, that means they'll make a move sooner or later. Keep an eye on them, and someone might be able to snatch up some easy recruits here and there, when they try something, yeah?"

She'd argue this made sense at least. If she wanted to make members out of his gang, then it were in her interest, as much as Null's, to have someone near that could grab them, if they tried a move on Arcade and Ardee. Especially the later. Arcade would likely survive the ordeal, but Ardee... She weren't protected by strange magics. She were vulnerable, and Null did not want to see her hurt.

"I'll try and get them on alert. Maybe see if I can get them to hunker down somewhere safe for a bit in the meantime, and then get on with the hunt.

Mind me asking before I leave though, what's the connection between The Host, and the Cloud District? Is that his neglected turf, and Basher is using that to rally folks to his side or something?"

========================================================================

(Hotel)

There would happen something. As they'd be going to get a map, or find something to eat, whatever came first for them, they'd get approached by someone. The kitsune that had spoken with Null, up in the cloud layer. He weren't looking any happier since then though. Still carried himself with an aura of someone who were dreading something, that had yet to happen, but expected it to happen. Like an abused animal, or someone with notable paranoia. He'd also smell somewhat of the cheap ale he had drunk when he were up in the clouds, though he wasn't drunk. Were it only he were so blessed. He were sadly mostly sober.

"Hi. Don't be alarmed please. I just... Uhm, right. You're with the imposing mare. Arcade and... Ardee, I think it were? A-Anyway, I just wanted to try and warn you, while I still had the chance. You're being followed, by dangerous gang members. And if they get to you, they'll-"

He'd suddenly let out a yip in pain, and stagger a step back, falling to his flank, whilst holding a paw to his head, eyes shut tight.

"I won't, don't.... Ngh. Just... T-Try and be careful, okay? Your friend, she got enemies in town. Strong ones. T-Tartarus..."

He'd utter something more, but in Neighponeese, as his paws both clutched his head. And if they had nothing to say back, he'd get back on his paws and stagger away, one paw held towards his head, and trying to just get away from here, and towards somewhere else. Anywhere else. Though if they wanted to try and hold him for questioning, it probably wouldn't be too hard. Not at first, but if they actually, physically tried, they'd find themselves blown away by a sudden wind, with him getting up, and running away at great speed, and running through the exit. Once out there, he'd quickly vanish. Kitsune were not slow creatures, so trying to chase one were often foolhardy.

As for what he said? If they could find a translator, they could probably roughly repeat the words enough, to get a general understanding of what it meant. Though it were hard to say if they cared. Might've just seemed like some crazy creature, right? A crazy creature who seemed to know something, but still.

If he staggered off, or ran off, they would find that he had dropped something. A beaten up, bronze pocket watch on a chain, that weren't willing to open. Might be the hinge had been damaged.

=======================================================================================

(Cherish)

So her name were Sandscroll? That was a pretty name. Cherish would try and remember that, for the next times she met the camel, so that she could speak with her more respectfully. Unless she had a title like elder she didn't know, but Miss Sandscroll would be a good start, right? If not, the camel could always correct her on it. Cherish would listen and learn.

"I had no idea camels had that sort of elemental magic. Thank you for answering my question, Miss Sandscroll."

It sounded like it were some kind of geomancy. Sort of. More like an active version of earth pony magic? So like, the druids who could harness their inner magic, to help with plant growth more actively, and speak with animals, that sort of thing? It were a little confusing, but also pretty exciting, and made Cherish want to add  some books about camels to her future reading list. It were fun to learn about new races like that. And different from how she had learned about dragons proper.

Hadn't been any in her class, nor really around her town either. Most she knew were stuff she heard from others, or learned in school, and it make them come off as big brutes, that liked to torment ponies just for fun, or were some age old, wise creature, with more knowledge than a pony could ever dream of.

And then she had met Crow, and it changed. She wasn't some hulking gargantuan, or a bully. Nor were she full of sagely wisdom. She were just a young creature, who had her own issues to deal with, and tried to get through it as best she could. Really not all that different from Cherish herself, and it had made her realize that no being could be just generalized as being some sort of enemy, or in the extremes. They might well be just like her, or Elef, or Miss Gypsum, and the best way to learn about them, were to know the individual. Though books could help get some base idea about things. Long as you took things, with a grain of salt. Sometimes a whole bucket of salt, as some books were written by some who had clear biases.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-09-28 at 3:33 PM, Blitz Boom said:

I'll keep 'em close for now, but like I said, I don't mind sharing the bounty, if it keeps them alive. Besides, if they're after them, that means they'll make a move sooner or later. Keep an eye on them, and someone might be able to snatch up some easy recruits here and there, when they try something, yeah?"

Epsilon nodded, "I'll see who is willing to help out. Clearing debt in exchange for guard duty should be pretty attractive." (Look at that! It's an opportunity to bring back the changelings in the Grey if you want.)

On 2023-09-28 at 3:33 PM, Blitz Boom said:

Mind me asking before I leave though, what's the connection between The Host, and the Cloud District? Is that his neglected turf, and Basher is using that to rally folks to his side or something?"

Epsilon looked unsure, but shrugged, "More or less. More accurately the Cloud District is still infested with the Legion, as it couldn't be cleared out by the golems. So it's not that The Host is neglecting the area, he simply doesn't have the resources to properly clear it out. So his resources have been used helping the other districts in the hope that the rest of the city will eventually be strong enough to finish off the legion presence here. But you are correct that Basher is using this to his advantage. If he clears out the Legion, or just appears to, then he will look more capable than the Host in the eyes of the populous."

Epsilon nodded, "If that's all? I'll have whoever volunteers meet up with you to discuss what you need them to do, and how much of the bounty you're willing to share."

(Hotel)

Arcade and Ardee were on the defensive as soon as they were approached by the strange creature. Though they listened to what he had to say, they were concerned that he knew their names and had found them so easily. So they didn't engage him any more than a "Thanks for the tip." before quickly moving on.

They decided to head back to their room before doing anything else, so they could talk about what had just happened.

Arcade started once the door was closed, "That's not good. I don't think Null would talk about us while out there..."

Ardee looked concerned, "You think something happened to her?"

Arcade shook his head, "I think we're being watched, like that guy said, and that we might not have been as careful as we should have."

Ardee looked thoughtful, "Well, Null's been here before, so it's not hard to believe that she was recognized. We've been with her in some pretty public spaces, so we were probably seen together."

It didn't help Arcade's worry to hear that. "Maybe we should stick around here until she gets back. Just in case. I think the staff mentioned something about being able to order things to the room?"

Ardee frowned, "Unless some members of the staff are in on it. That would explain how they have our names."

They would elect to stay in the room regardless. If Null took more than an hour to return they would risk ordering in some food, as well as asking for a map of the city.

(Cherish)

(See OOC)

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

"I don't have any high thoughts about The Host, but I have even lower ones about Basher. Nothing good would come from him gaining that much control. Well, little good anyway. I think I saw some kids that were on his payroll. Probably the only way they get food on the table. *sigh* but that's a different problem, that's gonna have to be handled afterwards. Along with the cloud area in general. That place is a dump.

Maybe once you get through your recruiting spree, and the worst gets cleared out, it'd be a good time to try and fix it up a little for the powers that be. Make it livable or something.

And I'm willing to share the bounty equally. Long as they do their job, I don't see a reason they shouldn't get a fair share."

She wouldn't normally care so much about the aftermath, but if there were indeed kids on his payroll, what'd happen if they no longer had shelter, or a way to get food on the table? She'd been in that situation before. Alone, with nothing but the sky above you, and starving. She wouldn't wish that on any kid. Heck, she wouldn't wish it on anyone in general. Even the lowest scum she'd run into. Death were more merciful, than constantly starving.

Maybe if she weren't run out of town when all of this were over, she'd be able to bring up a few ideas to at least Bling. Null weren't sure about the other section owners, but the changeling seemed to genuinely care, and had experience helping those that had nothing. Might be that if she worked with the other section heads, they could actually get something going, to help those who couldn't do anything legal to stay alive. Cause frankly, she'd wager that while yes, some were Legion, and others were generally evil, at least a portion of those that were criminals in this town, were so because there were little other choice.

She had lost count of the times Void and her had done criminal things growing up, just so they could have something to eat, and the occasional roof over their heads. Lookouts for drug dealers, smuggling a few things for gangs that figured they wouldn't be noticed, theft, etc. The only line they didn't cross, was stealing from poor folks. They had it rough too, and thus, taking from them, might end up leaving them starved, or worse. They did steal from dead beings though. Weren't like they needed it anymore, right?

*sigh* But she wouldn't get far with thinking on this right now. She had to focus on her job now, as the bitter chill in her being reminded her of. The sooner Basher were dealt with, the sooner solutions could get worked on. And the safer others around would end up being. Probably. Her coltfriend and Ardee would be at least. Didn't matter that she had to share her bounty for that. She'd work the rest of her own off soon enough.

"But I think we got the details sorted. Send whomever you think will do well. I'll tell my companions something about why they need to be guarded, and then start the hunt, soon as I know they're safe. And I'll do my best to ensure he'll stay alive, so you get your recruits."

Frankly, she figured he'd prefer that. It were a choice between community service, or Tartarus. And he had tried one of those. It weren't too likely he'd look forward to returning there.

Before taking off though, she'd turn around, to look back at Epsilon again.

"It was good seeing you again, Grey Mare."

Lest there were something else, she'd be on her way. She had some friends that were probably getting worried about her prolonged absence.

(Whereabouts of the Changeling Team)

Yannit, as the unofficial leader of the three, had set tasks for them, if they hadn't gotten some by Grey Mare, or other higher ranking members already, whilst she herself were out doing some reconnaissance. She'd heard things here and there, before joining The Grey, about certain hubs for gang activity, and figured that now were as good a time as any to act on it, and try to gather information on places, and specific beings. Gangs caused trouble, and they had to solve issues. Seemed like an easy, on the mark task to start with, until she got a more specific job by someone higher up.

Craven had wanted to help too, so she would've sent him to scout around too. Specifically in the Cloud District, though he'd been told not to go up to the upper layer right now. Too dangerous, without being properly prepared. SO he were to scout around on ground level, in disguise of course, and see if anything unusual caught his eye. Things had been weird from that area lately, and she didn't trust it one bit. If it were dangerous on ground level too, she'd accompany him there, to work in tandem.

Mongoose were not invited to join them for this. She figured idle hooves would make his mind wander to dangerous places, and since cleaning seemed to calm his nerves, and distract him from his murderous impulses, she had set him to do a cleaners job. Ideally, working at cleaning the hall of order from top to bottom. A task that would keep him occupied for days, if not weeks. It'd also make him able to listen in, in case there were civilians speaking over themselves, as no one ever cared to think the cleaner were an issue. Or well, it were rare at the least, and she would ideally think him suited for jobs where he could pose as a cleaner in some capacity. It made him easier to work with, and quite frankly, he were surprisingly good at it. Not even the most ingrained blood stain would be left standing, once he were on the case. Though she could imagine How he had gotten so proficient, she tried to focus more on the applications of that, rather than speculate on the finer details. She'd seen enough in the newspapers back in the day, to know she wouldn't like knowing too much.

Of the three, Mongoose would likely need the bounty share the most, though considering his kill count, it were probably akin to a drop in an ocean. He were gonna be indebted to The Grey for a long, long time. Potentially until he died of old age.

===============================================================

(Hotel)

When eventually Null would return, she'd go to their room, and knock the door, before locking herself in. The low level the knocks came from, should make it clear that it were her, but if they did greet her with a raised weapon, she'd just raise an eyebrow. At this point, the chilling aura should've been turned off probably, unless Nine meant it were best to keep going, so there weren't a need to get it back online soon. Depending on when the backup would show at least. She had to get going for her hunt after that. The sooner the better, before Basher got his goons to try and off her companions.

How long it had been? Hard to say. Over a half hour. Probably less than one though, unless something had happened on the way here.

"Hey, sorry for it taking a while. Ran into some trouble up there.

The whole place is a dump, and infested with gang members, and other crooks. Ain't a safe place to be for anyone that ain't willing to spill blood, and not worth the risk to stay. I'd stay away from there if I were you."

Good that she didn't still have a bloody blade to show off here. Though she'd probably have been flagged down a while back, if that were the case. Would've been grizzly, but she worked on cleaning it off, after she had to kill someone up there. Not something that had put her in a good mood, but it were what it were. Couldn't change it now, and the lunatic had practically not given her a choice.

"Things been okay on your end?"

The small origami would've given her enough time of day to look at her, but would get bored of her soon, and return to jumping around, and scurry into every nook and cranny it could fit into, even if it had to fold thinly to get in there. It were curious, and wanted to experience things. And when they were held up in here, that meant examining every inch of the place, and see what were what. Who knew? Maybe it'd find something fun. Or it'd be covered in lint.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-10-12 at 3:32 PM, Blitz Boom said:

And I'm willing to share the bounty equally. Long as they do their job, I don't see a reason they shouldn't get a fair share."

Epsilon raised an eyebrow at that, "Equally? That's awfully generous of you. I'll be sure to mention that in the bounty."

"It was good seeing you again, Grey Mare."

She simply nodded as she turned back to her paperwork.

(Changelings)

The way the Grey typically worked when operating from the shadows was on bounties. Those seeking Vengeance would agree to a portion of debt, and a bounty would be placed on those they held a grievance against, presuming their grievance was valid. Then any member of the Grey could accept the bounty or form a team to accept the bounty together, splitting the reward between them.

If the changeling agents weren't after a bounty, they had standing orders to watch out for gang activity, keeping tabs on anything and everything to make it easier when a bounty came in.

Each of them got an alert in their blindfolds, telling them that a new bounty had been posted. They could choose to hear it where they were at that moment, or go back to the hall to read it themselves.

"20-35 years; Aid Vengeance Pointer in the capture or death of Vivace Fleur. 20 years in death, 35 years in capture. Disclaimer: Any move against Vivace not in the form of aid to Vengeance Pointer will yield no bounty.

Interested agents report to Grey Mare for assignment."

(Hotel)

Arcade and Ardee were relieved to see Null back and seemingly unharmed, listening intently to what she had to share.

"Things been okay on your end?"

Arcade would respond, "A strange kitsune approached us, said we were being followed and he knew we were with you, so we've stayed here since then. Also, a pegasus me met on the roof said if we brought him a map he could tell us where Basher frequents, I figured that might be useful to you?"

(Cherish)

The rest of the students didn't have many other questions for Sandscroll, at least, they weren't very interesting questions.

The presentation complete, Gypsum led them back out to the main area of the library so that the camel could clean up her supplies in peace. "We-return to the school now, remember not to take books, you-can return later to-read more."

Gypsum would then lead the students back to the school building. Once they were all settled Gypsum asked, "Now, are there any last questions abut the library? If not, it looks like it's about time to-return home."

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

20 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Epsilon raised an eyebrow at that, "Equally? That's awfully generous of you. I'll be sure to mention that in the bounty."

"That outta tell you how important their safety is to me."

It were also that if they did their part, then frankly, she figured they deserved their fair share, much as she did. Sure she'd have to go and chase him down, and actually fight him, but they'd have to ward off his little goons, and that were gonna prove challenging in and by itself too.

Honestly she were surprised it were seen as weird for her to offer equal shares. Sounded like those trying to work off their debts, were apparently keen on being far more selfish about it.

===============================================================

(Changelings)

Mongoose were the closest to the action, as the call came in. He'd be outside the building, disguised as a street sweeper, doing his to keep things looking at least somewhat respectable. He'd been doing that a fair few places, in various disguises, with various brooms, cloth, uniforms at times, etc. In and out of buildings, and it did give him some results, as Yannit had hoped. The cleaning kept him focused, and it was amazing what one could hear at times. Through cracks in the walls, from passerby's, familiar faces skulking down a side passage- He were strictly told not to act, unless it were a life or death situation, so he'd gather information, and then share it with her and Craven when they met up at various intervals. He had been curious about going for bounties at first, but Yannit had put her hoof down, and said no to them both. She wanted to make sure that they worked well together first, and knew each others strengths and weaknesses in the field, so that when they did go for the bigger fish, they wouldn't end up screwing up.

Much like Craven, he listened to her, and he were thinking less badly about her, as time went on. She were a leader type, compared to the two of them, and were mostly strict to make sure that they wouldn't mess up, and that they'd actually do their new job properly. So she were a little pushy at times, but Mongoose came to understand her position a bit better. Especially considering his uhm... Former actions. From her perspective, keeping him in check were paramount to his usefulness, and she did work with him. Kept him on jobs where he could do things that kept him more calm, and less prone to letting his mind wander. it still did at times, but it were easier to handle at least, when he did things like this.

As for the client? He hadn't met Null before, but seeing a small mare wander determined out of the building, it seemed likely to him, that with the timing, this one were the one they had been called by. Sure could be someone else, but she had a look on her face, like she were preparing for trouble. He wouldn't speak to her, but he'd try and keep it in mind.

The others would be around soon enough after that, with Yannit taking lead, currently looking like a regular changeling. As were Craven. Wasn't like changelings were unusual in this time, so unless you were going undercover, there were really no need to stay in disguise.

"Good, you're already here. Anyone else been here to lay claim yet?"

"N-No ma'am. Not seen anyone, and I've been here since the call came out."

"Maybe it's just us then?"

"Not forever. The number is going to be enticing to some. We should go in an volunteer."

Of course, some would be busy doing other things. Collecting bounties for instance, which they would in due time too. But they had been close to screwing up their last operation, due to having some internal strife, and that had been a relatively calm environment to work in. For active, dangerous situations, they needed to work far better, so it were best doing some *practice jobs* for the time being, in her mind. And since Craven were keen on doing anything to atone, and Mongoose had come to accept her orders, long as she were less harsh on him, she would take the lead on this, and guide them towards the order hall.

They'd wait until eventually they could come before Grey Mare, in case there weren't open into the section they had to go to, in the Hall of Order, but when the time came, Yannit would step forward, and make the first comment.

"Grey Mare? We hear the call, and have come to accept the task, regarding Vivace Fleur."

Sure them being three, likely meant they'd each get around 11.6 years off each, if the capture were success ful over death, but there were strength in numbers, so it were well worth it.

======================================================================

(Hotel)

21 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Arcade would respond, "A strange kitsune approached us, said we were being followed and he knew we were with you, so we've stayed here since then. Also, a pegasus me met on the roof said if we brought him a map he could tell us where Basher frequents, I figured that might be useful to you?"

Null's response would start off simple: She began cursing. Not for long, but it certainly wasn't words for civilized company. Yet this complicated things, and it got on her nerves. So it were this, or kicking the wall, and this caused less property damage. Though the kicking want were still strong, since this meant she couldn't just try and pass this off as something less than it were. They knew they were being followed, and they even knew Basher's name. Best she could do now, were to be at least somewhat honest, and hope they'd understand the gravitas of the situation.

"Great. Everything's falling apart it starts to seem.

*sigh* The kitsune, lemme guess on this: Wore a full body robe, and looked worn down? I dunno what that guy's deal is, but I'm gonna throttle him the next time I see him, for meddling out of turn.

Fine, fine. Whatever, cats out of the bag, at least somewhat.

There's someone in town I need to hunt down, and then drag his sorry flank to the local law. It's the main reason I came back here, and that were all fine and good, but then like you said, you got followed. I got a picture shown up there of you, on the roof. Got told to back off, or you two were gonna feel the consequences.

That pegasus you met? Probably one of his goons, leading you into a trap. No way in tarnation, am I gonna allow you to meet up with him alone. Ideally, I'm going there by myself, and you two stay out of trouble. Arcade might be able to get himself through it, since he can't die, but you, Ardee? This guy is dangerous. We're talking 'bout a mass murderer. If he got to you, or sent someone to deal with you, you might die, and I'm not doing that to them. They trusted you'd come back safe, and I'm gonna make that happen.

*sigh* So I called for some backup, that's gonna help me hunt him down, and keep you two safe, until it's over.

I know you probably don't wanna hear that, Ardee. You came here to see things, and find your path. And you ain't defenseless, I know that. But I don't want to risk it. Hay, not for any of you. And it doesn't mean there ain't room for still exploring and enjoying the town. But I need to get this one first now, before he gets you, or starts his takeover of the Cloud District.

Now tell me, that pegasus you mentioned. Is there a meeting place he were waiting for you?"

It were probably a lot, but the needed to understand the gravitas. Though at least she could keep back the whole part about Karma. Even if they asked in to why she did this, she could say it was unfinished business, from when she went to the gates of Tartarus. Her real job and motivation, could remain between her, and Arcade right now.

Ardee were probably not thrilled about things, but if she wanted to be angry, let her. Null would take her angry and alive, over peaceful and dead.

=================================================================================

(Cherish)

Cherish would have made sure to deliver the books she had read, before they left, and try to keep in mind where she had gotten to. She should remember to bring a slab of paper next time, to write that sorta thing down. It'd be a good way to sort things out, in case she didn't read through all of it at once.

She felt uplifted and generally happy, on the way back to school, and nice and fuzzy inside, as they sat at their tables again in class. She wondered what the next lesson would be, until it were said they were done for today. They spent a lot of time at the library, so it kinda made sense. Must've been all the time they had today, but it were time well spent. Now she knew some stuff at the library, and saw Toupé get her cutie mark - it were really hard not to tell anyone - as well as had some good news to bring to Crow! A possible way for her to have some meaning in things, as well as give her an opening to maybe get to know the ones in town more, and get to perhaps even come closer, and enter it properly. It'd be nice if she could go to school with them for instance. She needed to learn things too, even if she claimed otherwise.

As for questions, Cherish didn't have any regarding the library, and would just wait until they were about to go home then. Though she'd go straight out to Crow. She were bursting to talk to her. Not so much that she wouldn't try to get Toupé's attention though, to give her a wave, and grin wider. She looked so much forward to her coming back and eventually let her know how it had gone with showing her cutie mark to Void.

As for Void, she'd be cleaning the oven. Someone had to, so she might as well get it done, so it'd be ready for use the next time she had to bake something.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

(To clarify, you typically share the bounty equally if you do equal work. Epsilon was surprised as Null is offering half of the bounty to just stand guard, something that would only be worth a few years at most in any other job.)

(Changelings)

The changelings wouldn't meet Grey Mare in her office, as that was reserved for specific encounters. Further, it was rather unusual for a job to require reporting to her. Most jobs were dispatched by Watch or Ward, the judges, or by simply turning in the bounty poster once the job was complete. Given Grey Mare was overseeing it personally meant it was a high profile or unusual job, which required extra digression.

So they would present themselves in the court of Vengeance, underneath the normal courtrooms, where Grey Mare sat at the judge's desk enveloped in shadow, the glow of her eye all they could see to know she was there.

On 2023-10-16 at 1:12 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Grey Mare? We hear the call, and have come to accept the task, regarding Vivace Fleur."

The eye nodded, "Good... you three were expected, and will do well, or will perish trying."

There was a pause, "The bounty is yours to claim. Present yourselves to Vengeance Pointer in the Top Suites. Serve her well, and you will be additionally rewarded."

The doors behind them would then open, signaling that they were to depart. Once they entered the Top Suites they would be given the room number in their blindfolds, and would be reminded to be discrete.

(Hotel)

and they even knew Basher's name.

(Arcade was there when Null was given the bounty, So Null knows that Arcade knows what's going on here. Adree was also informed that they were primarily here to hunt someone, so this isn't really news to her.)

*sigh* So I called for some backup, that's gonna help me hunt him down, and keep you two safe, until it's over.

I know you probably don't wanna hear that, Ardee. You came here to see things, and find your path. And you ain't defenseless, I know that. But I don't want to risk it. Hay, not for any of you. And it doesn't mean there ain't room for still exploring and enjoying the town. But I need to get this one first now, before he gets you, or starts his takeover of the Cloud District.

They both looked more than a little annoyed at this revelation, though for different reasons. Arcade responded first, his expression more of concern, "If Basher really is such a threat, then you really shouldn't go alone, even if you're confident in this backup you've called for... Like you said, I can't die, but you can." He sighed, "I know it hurts you to think that you're putting me in danger, but it hurts me too to sit here and worry about you, to do nothing while you risk your life... it doesn't sit right with me."

Ardee just rolled her eyes once Arcade was done, the frustration clear on her face. "I'm going to get some food while you two figure..." she motioned generally to the air between Null and Arcade, "... all that out." She raised an eyebrow, "Or do I have to stay in my room until this 'backup' arrives to escort me?"

If she was allowed to go get food she'd leave the room via the main door, otherwise she'd head out the side door to her room to wait.

Now tell me, that pegasus you mentioned. Is there a meeting place he were waiting for you?"

Arcade shook his head, "I assumed he'd just be on the roof, or would go there once he saw us. I'll probably have to be there, so we could go up there together and see what happens?"

(Cherish)

Cherish would need to remember to tell Crow about the Library being willing to purchase any books she was wiling to part with, since Cherish had only just learned about that today.

When it came to getting Toupé's attention, she'd find that hard as Miss Gypsum had gone over to her desk to talk quietly with her wile the other students packed up to leave. Cherish was probably too excited about seeing Crow to stick around and eavesdrop, so she'd have to ask later what Gypsum had to ask about.

(If you've got somewhere you want Cherish to go inside the city between now and the next morning, we can continue this thread, otherwise we can pick her back up when they come to school the next day)

(Void)

The foals, as they had the day before, were initially curious as to where their siblings had gone, but were distracted from any sadness by Void and Vale's efforts. They had just settled for a nap, and Vale returned to her other commitments, when the young ponies returned home from school.

While Teal and Elef were excited to tell Void all about what they had learned in the Library, Toupé was a bit more pensive and quiet than usual, which was saying something for the usually stoic pony.

If Void even noticed, would she call attention to it? Or wait for a more private opportunity? The other two seemed a bit more keen on discovering what the dinner plans were, if Void wanted a distraction from worrying about Toupé. 

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Hotel)

"You can eat. Just don't get lured away from populated areas, or go outside, okay? I can't tell how many might be looking for a change to get at either of you."

She'd wait until Ardee had left, before talking more to Arcade. They did indeed have some things to chat about here.

"I know you don't like this, but I have to fix my mistake, like I've been told to. If I had been better at the gates, Basher would've never gotten here in the first place, and I've seen how effective he can be, just on his own. Now he have a gang of who knows how many with him, and are angling at taking over part of the city. He's more dangerous than ever, so I have to go at this discretely. This gear I got from Vengeance, it helps me to do this. Keeps them from escaping too easily, and helps me stay a bit safer, but it won't cover for two. You could get taken and flayed alive for weeks for all I know, and I would toss the mission to go and save you. Because I love you, and you're more important than anything to me."

It were perhaps not the most elegant way of saying things, but she wasn't used to these sorts of conversations, okay? She were trying, but actually getting out how she were so protective, because she loved him, was not something that she had ever said to anyone, except Void. And that wasn't the same kind of love, that she felt for Arcade. Though she would be equally as devastated if he ended up dying, and didn't return to her again. Potentially enough to finish what she had once started.

"Besides, I don't know the backup. The Grey is sending them, so I don't know if I can trust them fully. But I know I can trust you, and that you can keep Ardee safe, if worse comes to worst. Out of all of us, she's the one I worry about not making it through this, and I don't want to tell the others that she died, because I failed to keep her safe. They've lost enough. We all have."

She couldn't keep anger, not stubborn annoyance up against Arcade for long, and she understood his side of things. In his place, she would've refused to stay behind too. But she didn't wanted him hurt, and she could do things like this better on her own... Right? She had for a long time, but then... She also used to have Void. Maybe she didn't always fight, but she were still there for her, and helped in her own way to get them through some tough times.

...Had she gotten so stubborn over the years, that she couldn't accept that there were fights she couldn't handle on her own?

Her vitriol all but evaporated, and she sat down, with a defeated look on her face.

"...I'm sorry. I don't want to push you away, Arcade. Or keep you in a cage. But I'm scared, and I don't know how to stop being afraid that one day, you'll die one too many times, and never come back to me.

I don't know if I could keep going without you."

At this point, if he pushed, she'd agree to let him come, though Ardee would stay here. At least she would remain in safety.

========================================================

(Changelings)

They were still new at this, so who and where to go to, were still something they weren't completely certain about. But they'd figure it out, and go the right place. Nothing that seemed to have put them behind other applicants, as it appeared they were the only ones that had come there for this. Probably because they had been here the fastest. Or because they were some of the only ones not an active duty. Both equally as likely. The ranks were not as large as they ideally should be, for the undertaking The Grey had in front of them, from what Yannit understood.

On 2023-10-22 at 3:12 AM, Illiad Easle said:

The eye nodded, "Good... you three were expected, and will do well, or will perish trying."

There was a pause, "The bounty is yours to claim. Present yourselves to Vengeance Pointer in the Top Suites. Serve her well, and you will be additionally rewarded."

The doors behind them would then open, signaling that they were to depart. Once they entered the Top Suites they would be given the room number in their blindfolds, and would be reminded to be discrete.

Mongoose seemed like he wanted to say something, as the prospect of perishing, but neglected to try. It seemed better to just try not to die, rather than voice his wish to not meet his end on what he were pretty sure were his first actual job.

As the order were given in full, Yannit would nod, and then lead her team out through the open door. It were clear their audience were over, and they should go and get some work done. No time for lingering around like this.

So they'd make their way towards the casino, not bothering to take on equine disguises. They were changelings, that had a history with Hive Cheshire, in the past year or so. That they'd wander into the casino were not something that were cause for concern, or curiosity. That said, they would disguise themselves somewhat still. Yannit taking on the form of a changeling drone so mundane, it could be any among thousands, and the others being ordered to hide as a pair of small boxes, that she'd then take along with her. Changelings delivered things and gel all over town. This would look no different from any others.

As expected, they'd get further details on where to go, as they had actually entered the casino. One couldn't argue that these blindfolds weren't convenient at least, if nothing else. Yannit would head towards the location, though Craven would be briefly distracted by a mare he saw wandering around as they passed. Not because he knew her, or were attracted to her. It were more that for a brief moment, he thought it were someone that he had known, long ago, that had perished in flames. The blaze he had been at fault for starting, that claimed so many lives... It wasn't her obviously, but the memory yet stirred, and made him gulp deeply, as the guilt began bubbling forth.

Then Yannit would move past the group that had been in the way as it dispersed, and he'd try to keep the thoughts at bay. They had work to do, and it were best to try and stay focused on that.

Honestly, times like this, he understood why he caved so easily, when Yannit had off the bat, decided to take the reigns of their little group. Mongoose were not one to be trusted with that sort of responsibility, and getting distracted this easily, showed him that he wasn't meant for taking charge either, nor were better off just doing things on his own. He'd be able to make amends better when he did as he were asked, and Yannit were... Well, he wasn't sure she were ever happy about it, but she were willing and confident. It were more than he had to offer.

(this next part happens probably 2-5 minutes after Ardee left)

Soon enough, they'd be at the door, and Yannit would knock thrice. Null would open the door on a creak, and look out, seeing the changeling.

"Yeah?"

"The package you ordered."

Null would step aside, and let her enter. Seemed like this were her backup then. Least she were here quick.

Once they were in, the three would drop disguises, and show themselves as they really looked. Likely still without the garbs though, as they noticed someone else here. A civilian maybe? Best not to take chances.

Null were surprised to see there were three, but the more the better for this.

"Miss Pointer were it? What do you need from us?"

"H-Hi."

Mongoose would try and be polite and greet the small mare. Honestly, he had suspected it were her, but seeing her up close now, he could tell why she'd need help. Someone her size, couldn't have an easy time dealing with the sort of hunt she were scheduled to go on.

(If Arcade convinced Null to let him come along, she will only speak of Ardee, when it comes to the next bit)

"Hey. So, here's the deal: I need to go and hunt down someone in town, lest something bad happens, but him and his, already made a move to threaten those I arrived with. I'm giving you an equal share for keeping them both safe.

Ardee went to get some food a few minutes ago. She's probably at the buffet by now. Arcade here knows what we do, but she doesn't, so hush around her. She only knows I'm here to hunt someone."

She'd give a brief description of Ardee, so they knew who to look for, and she had barely finished, before Yannit would begin to order her team around.

"Craven? Go find her, and keep her under observation. Do not let her leave the casino. If anyone tries to take her, deal with them. Discreetly."

"I... Y-Yes, of course ma'am."

Craven would change back to the form Yannit had before, and then go out, and start to look around. As she had gone for food, going towards the buffet was the best option to find her, though he'd buzz around and look if he couldn't see her, and ask the other changelings here. Someone would have seen her.

"Mongoose? Sweep the room. If there's anything that shouldn't be here, I trust you to find it."

He'd nod, and start to go through the room. His detail to cleaning, indicated to her that he were capable at finding small, minute details that wasn't fitting in. An ideal candidate to check for bugs, or other planted things, and something she were right in. Granted his attention to details like that had been used for... Other things in the past, but it were still something usable for other endeavors.

Less efficient when he were out about and stressed though, at least for now. But a closed room like this? He could focus, and get to work.

"While we wait then, Vengeance Pointer, let us get this out of the way. I am Yannit, that is Mongoose, and the one looking for your friend is Craven. When he return with her, you can continue the hunt. I will join you for it."

"Out of the question. I asked for help protecting."

"If your target have enough sway with others to make you worry your friends could be targeted, they are organised enough to not be follish. For all you know, that threat was made to make you focus on them, and ignore an obvious trap. You won't do them any good if you're dead."

Null grumbled, thinking of an answer, whilst Yannit's gaze would go to Arcade.

"Mister Arcade? I sense she values you. Do you disagree with my concerns? There's three of us. That's enough to add more to this than just keeping this room secure."

The origami fox would have hid as the newcomers had arrived. It had been thinking of going over to unfold, and show the message it ate, as they had been talking about it. But the new arrivals made it curious instead. It could show them later, though for now, it would gaze at them from beneath the bed. 

=================================================================================

(Cherish)

Cherish had seen that she were speaking with Miss Gypsum, but she didn't want to go and disturb there, as it seemed rude. It were probably something private right? And she had to admit, she were really looking forward to meeting Crow, and tell her what she had learned at the library today. It were gonna be good for her friend to scavenge with some degree of purpose, beyond just hoarding, though she'd see what Crow would say about the arrangement, then run back and tell the library, and basically just be running back and forth, potentially over several days to sort this. Least she'd get some good exercise at this rate today, and be well tired when it was time to sleep later.

(Cherish will mostly run back and forth at random intervals. If nothing happens, she will be back the following day)

================================================================================

(Void)

Void would happily listen in to all the things that were told her of the library. Seemed like it had made an impression on them, and they had gotten a nice taste of the knowledge one could find in such a place. As well as met a camel. That were one creature that she had never really interacted with. Partially because she hadn't really met them, outside of Troy. Not in their natural environment at least. Or you know, alive. She had seen several dead ones. One she had run into, had a fondness for their hides. It was rather macabre honestly.

Throughout listening and questioning into things, such as if they had found some good books for instance, she did notice that one of them, were keeping her distance, and not partaking. It worried her a little to be honest. Had something happened to Toupé whilst they had been at the library? One could imagine what things could happen, with her having some extra ideas, based on her imagination and bad experienced with the more rotten beings out there, but she hoped it were nothing serious. Still, she'd like to go and talk to her, and make sure that she were okay, once her siblings had finished their talking, of course. She couldn't just play favorites here, and just leave them, as they were excitedly talking about their day. It were important to them, and thus, it were important to her too.

Eventually, the chat would come on to the next point though: Dinner. An understandable question honestly, and she'd be happy to answer it, before she'd go and have a chat with Toupé.

"I were thinking we'd have a nice, easy meal tonight, and then something a bit more interesting tomorrow. It gave me time to clean the oven, while Vale helped to look after Peal and Piecey. They're still looking for you when you're away now and again, but they're behaving very well.

Anyway, for dinner, I were thinking we'd just have some nice sandwiches today, then tomorrow... Well, I'll let that be a surprise.

I'm gonna start do some prep work soon. Could you make sure to put your lunch boxes and water near the sink though? Just so I can get them ready for tomorrow too."

She'd smile gently to them both. She had made sure they got food and water with them, as well as some healthy snacks in the pack. She weren't sure if they had eaten though, as they had been in the library, but that could be used for something else if they hadn't. Part of dinner's sandwiches perhaps? They'd see. But for now, she'd just like to ask them to go and empty their school packs as it were. Might be the days would just end up being shorter, due to Troy having shorter ones normally, and she wouldn't have to give them lunch boxes along. But they should have water at least. That much were a given.

While they would sort that out, she would go and talk to Toupé, to make sure that the young mare were feeling okay.

She's wait until they had a bit of somewhat privacy before talking though. Who knew? Might be something she did not want the others to hear, so she'd try and find an opportune way to speak with her. Potentially getting her to the other side of the kitchen, were they could speak a bit in peace. If peace wasn't an option though, she'd have to try again later.

In case they did have some degree of peace however, she would put a hoof on Toupé's shoulder, and lean down, to be more in line with her, and speak softly to her.

"Are you okay honey? You seem a little quiet."

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-10-26 at 4:23 AM, Blitz Boom said:

Her vitriol all but evaporated, and she sat down, with a defeated look on her face.

"...I'm sorry. I don't want to push you away, Arcade. Or keep you in a cage. But I'm scared, and I don't know how to stop being afraid that one day, you'll die one too many times, and never come back to me.

I don't know if I could keep going without you."

Arcade looked conflicted, but it was abundantly clear that he shared her sentiment. He was only conflicted on how to convey his feelings correctly.

He sat beside her, and drew her into a hug, "I..." he sighed, "...I understand. It's hard for both of us, I'm not used to being the one that others worry about, I'm used to being the one that does the worrying, and that's why I'm so worried about you. Even with backup, and with the magics, bad things could still happen to you, and just like you'd be devastated if something happened to me or Ardee, I'd be just as destroyed if something happened to you. But neither of us can be in two places at once, and you're right, Ardee is the most vulnerable of the three of us, and if you don't trust the guards, then I understand that I'm the only one who can be trusted to keep her safe. And if staying here will make sure you aren't distracted by worrying about us, then I'll stay here. Just..." He pulled back so he could look her in the eyes, "Promise you'll come back, that you'll keep me updated, so I don't have to worry too much while you're gone."

(Changelings)

"Mister Arcade? I sense she values you. Do you disagree with my concerns? There's three of us. That's enough to add more to this than just keeping this room secure."

Arcade looked conflicted, but shook his head, "I can't say I disagree, just don't get in her way. If I find out that she got hurt because you tripped her up, I'll kill you myself."

The origami fox would have hid as the newcomers had arrived.

(I'm surprised it didn't go with Ardee, it's not like Ardee could leave too fast for the fox to keep up.)

(Ardee)

Ardee wasn't hiding, she was sitting at one of the tables with a pegasus stallion whose wings were missing several feathers. When Craven spotted her, he'd be able to see that they were talking, but he couldn't make out what they were saying over the general noise of the casino. The pegasus stallion left behind another note as he left before Craven could get too close. Ardee read over the note before stowing it away as she continued eating.

(Void)

I'm gonna start do some prep work soon. Could you make sure to put your lunch boxes and water near the sink though? Just so I can get them ready for tomorrow too."

The young ponies had eaten lunch this time (It's about 3-4pm at the moment, school typically getting out at 3pm) so their boxes were empty. They still had water though, since the school room and the library had public fountains available to them to drink from. Despite, or perhaps because, Troy being in the middle of a desert, it had a very well organized and prolific public water system. Every public building has access to water, as well as there being several public fountains in the central areas. While much of the system had been damaged in the crisis, that was one of the first things to get repaired.

Teal and Elef went to check on the foals as well as wash up while Void intercepted Toupé.

In case they did have some degree of peace however, she would put a hoof on Toupé's shoulder, and lean down, to be more in line with her, and speak softly to her.

"Are you okay honey? You seem a little quiet."

Toupé wasn't startled by Void's approach, as though she had expected to be spoken to like this. She nodded, "Nothing's wrong, just..." she sighed, "...unexpected. I learned some things at the library that I didn't really think about before."

The other two had finished up in the bathroom and were returning, "Can we talk about this later? There's something I should show you."

• Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2023-10-27 at 10:24 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Arcade looked conflicted, but it was abundantly clear that he shared her sentiment. He was only conflicted on how to convey his feelings correctly.

He sat beside her, and drew her into a hug, "I..." he sighed, "...I understand. It's hard for both of us, I'm not used to being the one that others worry about, I'm used to being the one that does the worrying, and that's why I'm so worried about you. Even with backup, and with the magics, bad things could still happen to you, and just like you'd be devastated if something happened to me or Ardee, I'd be just as destroyed if something happened to you. But neither of us can be in two places at once, and you're right, Ardee is the most vulnerable of the three of us, and if you don't trust the guards, then I understand that I'm the only one who can be trusted to keep her safe. And if staying here will make sure you aren't distracted by worrying about us, then I'll stay here. Just..." He pulled back so he could look her in the eyes, "Promise you'll come back, that you'll keep me updated, so I don't have to worry too much while you're gone."

Null looked into his eyes, pain and confliction emotions roaring behind her eyes. Never had she thought that she'd care for one beyond her sister, enough that she felt both a want to keep one close, and keep them at a safe distance, all at once, and yet, here were Arcade. A surprise in her life, that were more sturdy than anyone she knew, and yet she were worried about, as if he were made of glass. It were foolish honestly. Though here she were, stubborn and vulnerable, just as he were here. What a pair they were.

Still, she found joy in this too. To feel another worry for her in this way, that were outside family... It were nice. Though it also just made it all that more obvious that sooner or later, they had to talk about this, and find some sort of compromise, or they'd spend all the time worry about the other, and not handling things together. Even if this job would entail that Null had to deal with some things herself, she assumed.

"*sniff* I could ask the same of you. I'll try and get word back, soon as I can."

A tear got tot he edge of her eye, as she were feeling touched by his words, and she went in to give him a small kiss. A gesture that felt more right, with every passing time she had done so. Yet like all the other times, she would still manage to drag herself back, so that she could look at him, as she had more to say. She had to admit though, that her instincts told her other things. Thoughts that had vaguely touched her mind more frequently in recent times, but... Now were not the time to listen to thoughts like those. Someday yes, but it were not the time now. Se had work to do.

"When this is over. When he's dealt with, we need to talk about this. Just the two of us. I think... Yes, I think we need to, or we'll just start arguing again."

It were odd really. She had so many times, when she were more than ready to argue, and butt heads with others, and now she actually had someone, that made her not want that. Not with him at least. Strange as it may seem, he were doing a lot to calm her mind, and help her see past some things. Heck, while she didn't notice much of a change, she had overall mellowed out more, since meeting him. Might come from her opening up to someone special. Even saying things, that she couldn't share with her family. Not even Void.

==========================================================================

(Changelings)

A brief flame went over Yannit, and she would go through a few forms, looking directly at Arcade as she did so. Even going to the point of ending her tests by assuming the form of Null at the end, and speaking her mind.

"You would be surprised how hard it can be to find a changeling."

Her voice would mimic Null's perfectly. It were part of what it were like to be a changeling, and he would find that it would end up being hard to find a specific one, or even a changeling in general, with any ease. That said, as she transformed back into her actual form again, he should be able to tell that she were taking him serious. Through all the eyes she had shown here, her unblinking gaze, and tone of voice, did not indicate that she were belittling him, or thinking he wouldn't try to live up to his promise.

She had been around the block enough, to know the look of someone who had it in them, to do some rather dark things. Null had the gaze in abundance, which told her that the mare had more blood on her hooves, than her diminutive form would indicate. Arcade's gaze were different, as were his tone of voice, but her instincts told her that he were being serious, and would go through with it, if she failed the task.

Yannit trusted her instinct. It helped her many more times, than it lead her on, when it came to impressions like this. Truthfully, she had to listen to it, to get a proper *vibe* on others.

"But my job is to help, and I intent to do my job right, sir. I won't return without her. Soon as your companion have arrived, we'll be on our way, and get the job finished as smoothly as possible."

The fox chose this point to pop out, and jump up on the bed, to have a better look at this odd newcomer. Yannit would give it one look, then let out a small sigh.

"Foxes means kitsune. They are ever so fond of leaving small hints that they're involved in some way."

She had encountered the kitsune before in some minor ways. It were... Trying times when she did so, as they were more or less impossible to get a vibe on. Their trickster natures made them sly and sneaky, and for some gods-forsaken reason, they also had ridiculously powerful magics. Why or how had always baffled her, but they did. And they knew well how to use it too.

This one seemed harmless and curious, but she knew kitsune enough to know that you should never take anything on face value, when they were involved. Though maybe she were just paranoid, due to previous interactions, and stories she had been told.

As for Mongoose, he were currently crawling in under the bed, to see if there were something under there. He'd be occupied doing this for a while yet.

======================================================================

(Ardee)

Took a while, but thankfully, he would spot Ardee. Or whom he were fairly sure were her, as the mare fit the description. The one she were with though, were an odd one, passing her something, and saying words that he couldn't get close enough to hear, before the pegasus had taken off. He did see a note of some sort, being the thing passed, but what it were about, what were on it- He hadn't a clue. He could probably figure out if he wanted to, but truthfully, it wouldn't be easy here. It'd be something best left to those in the room they were meant to keep her and Arcade safe in, with him focused fully on simply keeping an eye on her.

He were told to just observe though, so he'd get closer, but not interact yet. He wanted to see if she got more visitors, and see if he might listen in on what happened if that were the case. He wouldn't interject, unless it seemed like someone might try to guide her elsewhere, or if she were herself going a way, that did not lead towards the rooms, or around this general floor. It would be a very bad look if he lost her, and she ended up going outside, and getting herself kidnapped, or worse. So if he had to cast a sleep spell on her, or physically hold her back, he'd make sure that she did not leave this hotel.

He'd probably also go and speak with her eventually, but well... He were observing her. Also it seemed rude to interrupt her, while she were eating, and he didn't want to end up on her bad side so soon, seeing as they'd have to be around one another in the room, for an undisclosed amount of time. It'd just be awkward, if they did not get along a little bit.

(Void)

The young ponies had eaten lunch this time (It's about 3-4pm at the moment, school typically getting out at 3pm) so their boxes were empty. They still had water though, since the school room and the library had public fountains available to them to drink from. Despite, or perhaps because, Troy being in the middle of a desert, it had a very well organized and prolific public water system. Every public building has access to water, as well as there being several public fountains in the central areas. While much of the system had been damaged in the crisis, that was one of the first things to get repaired.

A good water system or not, it were simply wise in Void's opinion, to have a water pouch on you. You never knew when you could use a sip of water, at an inopportune time, like in the middle of class. Taking a sip from a pouch, were less intrusive than going for a sink. Besides, you never knew what were gonna happen, so best to be prepared, and water were an essential necessity, so it were one of the things it were certainly good to have at the ready.

Toupé wasn't startled by Void's approach, as though she had expected to be spoken to like this. She nodded, "Nothing's wrong, just..." she sighed, "...unexpected. I learned some things at the library that I didn't really think about before."

The other two had finished up in the bathroom and were returning, "Can we talk about this later? There's something I should show you."

"Of course honey. Take all the time you need."

She wasn't sure what this were about, but at least Toupé didn't seem distressed had she maybe found something at the library that disturbed or confused her? Perhaps something that involved Void, or Null? They weren't important figured she'd argue, but they had travelled for twenty years, ending up in all sorts of bad situations, and apprehending cursed items for safekeeping. Often times helping, but not being openly appreciated for it. Hated even, in some cases At least that's what Null said the times when things seemed okay, but she had insisted they got on their way quickly.

She guess they'd see later. For now the young'uns were back, so they could begin to prepare dinner.

Things would be fairly simple. Some sandwiches, water, and a nice chatter about how things had gone that day. If there were anything specific happening, she'd be happy to focus on it, but at least from her side, nothing had really happened. She had just been keeping an eye on the foals with Vale, and cleaning up things while they were at school. Nothing terribly exciting. But she'd be happy to discuss anything. Well, most things. She had done things in her life, that she would prefer not to talk about. Especially not with kids.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-11-04 at 5:16 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"When this is over. When he's dealt with, we need to talk about this. Just the two of us. I think... Yes, I think we need to, or we'll just start arguing again."

He nodded, "We should, I get the feeling that you're rushing through this, paying off your debt, for my sake. We should discuss that, and other things, once you're not in the middle of something."

(Changelings)

"You would be surprised how hard it can be to find a changeling."

She would feel something sharp lightly poking the back of her neck, right between a pair of carapace plates, "And you might be surprised by how easy you are to kill when found." Arcade's expression was serious. Yannit could see that it was a look of familiarity, Arcade had killed changelings before, and he wasn't dissuaded by her disguise, if anything the low level anger within him grew when she took Null's form.

"But my job is to help, and I intent to do my job right, sir. I won't return without her. Soon as your companion have arrived, we'll be on our way, and get the job finished as smoothly as possible."

He pulled his knife back to him, his point, figuratively and literally, made. He nodded, "Good, I'm glad we're on the same page."

(Ardee)

No one else approached Ardee, and she soon finished eating, as she hadn't gotten much food to begin with. So she was soon on her way back up to the rooms, heading straight for her room rather than going through Null and Arcade's room. If they were still going at it, or if they were making up, she didn't want to walk in on it.

They would be able to hear when she entered her room in any case, or see under the connecting door when her room light came on, or hear when she called for the paper fox, noticing that it had not been with her when she went for food.

(Void)

Soon enough dinner was done and the young ponies were interested in playing some games with the foals for a bit before preparing for bed. Toupé elected to go last. Once it was her turn to shower, she went in, then timidly called out, "Um, Miss Void? Could you come help me with something?"

The other two thought that was odd, but didn't move from where they were preparing the foals to sleep, looking to see what Void would do.

If Void went, (And I assume she does) Toupé would be in there, propped up against the sink so she could better look at herself. She'd motion for Null to close the door once she entered, then she'd take a deep breath. She had quite the serious expression as she undid the lab coat, letting it slide off of her to the floor.

Just behind her withers, where her wings would be if they hadn't been removed, Void could see a faint scar.

But what might draw Void's attention more was the mark on her flank, an image of an open book with a magnifying glass set on one of the pages. Inside the lens of the magnifying glass was some sort of mathematical or scientific symbol that Void might not recognize, it looked like a tall table with sharp corners. (Π, the mathematical symbol for the product of a set, like Σ)

Toupé was looking to Void for a reaction, and if she was speechless or said something trivial Toupé would continue, "It... it isn't want they said it would be. I don't know if that is a good thing or not."

She sighed, looked towards the mirror, "I guess it could be worse, I was worried..."

"... worried it might have wings."

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

A small smile managed to crawl bavk unto Null's face, as the settled on having a talk, when this were over. She expected that the talk itself were gonna have some ups and down. They were both headstrong and stubborn, so there's more than likely be something causing some heightened emotions. But at the same time, it were good to know that both of them wanted to make this work. Made her feel like they'd figure something out.

Honestly, she needed that right now.

======================================================

(Changelings)

Yannit's eyes narrowed as she felt the blade poke at her neck. She could swing around, and disarm him. Strike him in the throat and cut off his air supply. Blast him with maguc, causing him to hit the frame and potential break his neck, or peel the skin from his leg.

A lot of things that she could do, but she wasn't. Even if the thoughts about it did enter her mind, on feeling him physically threatening her like he were. Because she understood his point his of view, and in his shoes, she might have acted the same. It were not as if she hadn't poked at him either, by imitating his marefriend. And that she clearly were, judging by the reaction she had gotten.

It were partially her intent to get a reaction from him though. She had a plan on how to do things when Null and her went out there, and it helped if she got a feel of how Arcade would act on things, and how close the two were. His actions and way of being now, told her a lot about that, and helped her tune in to his vibe a little better.

On 2023-11-06 at 3:43 AM, Illiad Easle said:

He pulled his knife back to him, his point, figuratively and literally, made. He nodded, "Good, I'm glad we're on the same page."

"We are. Enough for me to be more prepared for what is to happen. Observe."

She would take a step back, then transform into Arcade, and imitate his actions and facial expressions from their encounter thus far. Null were none too pleased, but it were dawning on her what Yannit were doing here, and it irritated her how potentially effective and straight forward it were.

"If they think you're with her, they'll get careless, trying to get to your friend. They'd think her alone. Vulnerable. You're a protective sort, are you not sir? You should see the benefit then, in having yourself be a genuine surprise on this end.

Besides, if they think you are with her, it will not look suspicious that she has company. The same could not be said, if they saw a changeling."

She'd change back into her normal shape again, though her gaze did not leace Arcade. The more she leafned of him - even the way he moved - would be benefitting her, as she took his place at Null's side for this mission.

Of course  this eere not foolproof. Some changelings were good at sensing even the best disguised of their kin, and they sadly still had roughly a half dozen or so unaccounted for at Hive Bling, that they assumed were still part of the criminal underground. Some of those might be helping Basher, and might even be able to sense through disguises. One could hope not though.

====================================================

(Ardee)

Craven would've disguised himself as a maid, as he followed her towards the rooms. Gave him a good excuse as to why he would be there, if she asked him. Though it seemed like he were ignored currently. She,'d get to the door safely, and when inside, wouldn't have to call long, for her companion to pop out and rush over towards her. Jumping on a few things -and Yannit's back - to get over to sit on Ardee's head.

Yannit were slightly annoyed, but didn't say anything, as she opened the door, to let Craven in. He would take his normal form as the door locked behind him, then go and speak with Yannit in whispers.

"Hey, Ardee. Good to have you back.

This here's the helpers that've shown up. Yannit, Craven, and Mongoose."

The latter of whom would poke out from under the bed, dismayed at the state of the underside of the bed. He had found something. Nothing he believed were an issue, but he needed to get closer. Just a bit of fresher air first, and he'd dive down again. Just enough time for his introduction.

"Everything went alright out there?"

She were personally about ready to leave, and be on her way. The sooner Basher were caught, the better. Leaving him alone for too long, were just gonna cause him to be an even bigger problem, if he got to take over a district of his own. Two in fact, as he were headed to being the king of the cloud layer too, as things stood right now, she imagined.

===============================================

(Void)

The evening had gone pretty well. They had some dinner, and a bit of talk, before the foals had to be put to bed, and the other young ponies would start to settle in for the night too. It were nice seeing them play with the two fillies first though. Brought a warm flutter to Void's chest, seeing such unbridled joy, without a worry in the world to hold them down.

*sigh* She wished they'd be able to be this happy forever, rather than facing more hardships in their lived.

Eventually it got to where they all went and had their showers, to wash off the sweat and sand of the day, while Void joined in on some games, and did a few cleaning things too. Had to make sure that she set a good example for the young ones, that they'd grow up, knowing it were important to keep not just themselves, but also their homes clean.

Toupé would stop ghat however, when she asked for Void to join her in the shower. Perhaps now were the time when she wanted to let her know, what were weighing on her mind?

Void would set down whatever she'd be holding at the time (nothing sharp, as the knives and such would be safely in their drawers), and follow the young mare, curious as to what it were that she wanted to show her.

But what might draw Void's attention more was the mark on her flank, an image of an open book with a magnifying glass set on one of the pages. Inside the lens of the magnifying glass was some sort of mathematical or scientific symbol that Void might not recognize, it looked like a tall table with sharp corners. (Π, the mathematical symbol for the product of a set, like Σ)

She had been worried at first, as Toupé took off the lab coat. She hadn't done so before properly. At least not with her, so this were a new development, and showed a good deal of trust too.

It sadly also meant that Void got a better look at the scars, where she were meant to have wings... Poor filly. To be mutilated like this, and denied the skies as she had been. That she were seemingly unaware of it, were not something that made Void feel better about it. What they had done to her in the facility, were disgusting and revolting, and her being a clone were not an excuse for any of it. She were still a living, breathing pony. Not some sort of doll their demented minds should just pull apart and reassemble however they pleased.

Yet her thoughts did not linger on this much, as she were given witness of what Toupé had actually wanted her to see: A cutie mark, resting comfortably and naturally upon her thigh, bearing no resemblance in the slightest to the pony she had sprung from.

Though their meeting had been brief, Void had seen the element wearers, and heard of their marks even if she hadn't seen them all personally. The ponies of Ponyville were fond of telling stories of their saviors, and depicting them certain places, so it weren't hard to get a look in some way, at how their marks were. And even Twilight Sparkle, the more nerdy of the bunch, did not have a cutie mark like this. No, Toupé's mark were more scientific. What it meant, Void hadn't a clue, but she knew she had seen that symbol before, in some text book Null and her had fished out of a dumpster many years ago, as they tried to educate themselves with basic math, writing, and reading skills. Sometimes they ran into stuff too high brow for them, which included this. They had kept it for a bit though. It were nice and heavy, so it had been good at hitting someone with, that they had to get past.

This symbol were on the front, and reading the pages inside were nonsense to the both of them, but it were a scientific thing. They were certain of that much. Probably an outdated one, from the university whose dumpsters that had been riffling through.

As for the cutie mark, and the fact she had it? Void had hoped that they'd get their own, and that it wouldn't take all that long. Especially Ardee had clearly not been too optimistic about that, and it happening, would definitely help to assure her that yes, they were their own ponies. Not just clones, with a predetermined path, that fate would somehow force upon them, as the facility had tried to.

She supposed, she were gawking a bit, as she were speechless, trying to find the right words to express herself, which gave Toupé time to utter more.

Toupé was looking to Void for a reaction, and if she was speechless or said something trivial Toupé would continue, "It... it isn't want they said it would be. I don't know if that is a good thing or not."

She sighed, looked towards the mirror, "I guess it could be worse, I was worried..."

"... worried it might have wings."

Void would close in, and embrace Toupé, tears streaming down her face, as she held the young mare tightly.

In case she stepped back, or struggled against this, in which case Void would just end up looking at her, with tears in her eyes, and a happy smile on her face.

"It's beautiful, Toupé. S-Such a fitting cutie mark, for a bright young mare like you."

Her voice broke a moment, but it should be easy to see/hear that she were not, in any kind of way, angry or disappointed. Void were genuinely happy to see this. This bright young mare, growing up so fast in just a few days. It was hard for her not to feel her heart flutter. Even if something that she said did make her curious. Something she mentioned at the end, which appeared to have been nagging her.

"We'll need to celebrate this tomorrow. I'll have to get some flags, and something really good prepared for dinner and desert. Maybe I can even find a gift that fits in time. It's a lot to get done, but I'll have to make sure it's done as best as possible. This is a special day for you, and it have to be celebrated properly.

Though why would you worry that your cutie mark had wings, honey? Is it something those sadistic doctors told you? It's okay if you don't want to tell me, but if you want to talk about this, I'm here for you, okay? And I won't tell anyone, if you don't want me to."

She had a tinge of worry, with all the joy. A fear that just maybe, Toupé knew more than Ardee and Arcade were aware of, regarding her amputation. But... *sigh* They'd see, they'd see. She weren't gonna dig into this, if Toupé didn't want to talk about it.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-11-10 at 4:10 AM, Blitz Boom said:

Besides, if they think you are with her, it will not look suspicious that she has company. The same could not be said, if they saw a changeling."

Arcade looked over her disguise carefully, then nodded. "That should work, but I assume it relies on my staying out of sight? They would likely suspect changeling involvement if they saw me out and about. Maybe..." He thought for a moment before turning to Null, "If you had a second changeling, disguised as Ardee, who also went with you, then they'd assume that you decided to protect both of us directly, and they wouldn't waste resources trying to find us, since they can see 'us' traveling with you. If they see just you and I, they'll look for Ardee, and not to underestimate your help, I think it an unacceptable risk if you fail. They might even send more forces to the hotel if they think she's alone. But if they think no one is here, they'll send less, if they send anyone at all."

This here's the helpers that've shown up. Yannit, Craven, and Mongoose."

Ardee just nodded at the three of them, she didn't seem too happy.

"Everything went alright out there?"

Ardee shrugged, "It's not the worst food I've had, but that's not hard. So, what's the plan then?"

(Void)

"We'll need to celebrate this tomorrow. I'll have to get some flags, and something really good prepared for dinner and desert. Maybe I can even find a gift that fits in time. It's a lot to get done, but I'll have to make sure it's done as best as possible. This is a special day for you, and it have to be celebrated properly.

Toupé looked uncomfortable as Void talked it up, not having expected her response to it, and not having fully accepted it herself.

Though why would you worry that your cutie mark had wings, honey? Is it something those sadistic doctors told you? It's okay if you don't want to tell me, but if you want to talk about this, I'm here for you, okay? And I won't tell anyone, if you don't want me to."

She flinched when Void called the doctor's sadistic, looking away, "Mistress Gemini told me."

She didn't let that weight sit long before she continued, sitting down. (This might not be the whole truth, nor exactly how it works, but this is what she was told and accepts as truth.) "She told me that I was born a half breed, especially rare among ponies. I had the nodes of both a pegasus and an earth pony, but only enough magic for one. As such, the wings I was born with were... weak, not fully formed. In all likelihood I would not be a strong flier, if I could even fly at all. So, they removed them. Without the physical component the wing nodes weakened, allowing my magic to better develop my earth pony nodes. I still likely won't be as strong as a full blooded earth pony, But I'd be better off than being half or either. Plus, I should be able to walk on clouds, and tolerate a pegasus diet, so there are benefits."

She took a deep breath, closing here eyes for a moment before looking over at Void, "I was worried that the mark would have wings, and ponies would ask why my mark had wings when I didn't. I was worried that my mark would say that they'd made the wrong choice."

Depending on Void's response, but likely Toupé would continue:

She shook her head, a slight smile coming to her face as she did finally look at her mark fully. "You're right, this is a good thing, and deserves celebration. My fears did not come to pass, so I shouldn't worry about what might have been, and enjoy what is. I know that Ardee has been especially worried about us getting marks. I'm glad I get to help her see that her fears too are unfounded."

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2023-11-13 at 3:51 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Arcade looked over her disguise carefully, then nodded. "That should work, but I assume it relies on my staying out of sight? They would likely suspect changeling involvement if they saw me out and about. Maybe..." He thought for a moment before turning to Null, "If you had a second changeling, disguised as Ardee, who also went with you, then they'd assume that you decided to protect both of us directly, and they wouldn't waste resources trying to find us, since they can see 'us' traveling with you. If they see just you and I, they'll look for Ardee, and not to underestimate your help, I think it an unacceptable risk if you fail. They might even send more forces to the hotel if they think she's alone. But if they think no one is here, they'll send less, if they send anyone at all."

"Y'know, there's merit to that plan honestly."

"Annoyingly yes, though that does put me in a predicament..."

Yannit would scratch her chin, whilst looking towards where she knew that Mongoose were currently scouring for things. She did not like to leave him unobserved, but he were not fit for infiltration like this. Not in situations where he'd be stressed. He needed far more time before he could work properly under pressure like that. Yet still, leaving him alone too, considering his history...

"...Mongoose?"

He'd pop his head out from under the bed, and looked up at Yannit as he were called.

"Yes?"

"I will be bringing Craven with me. Can I trust you to keep them safe here in the meantime, and act responsibly?"

He were honestly a little baffled, but he'd eagerly nod, but a few seconds later.

"Definitely! I'll m-make sure everything's nice and safe here."

"Calm yourself."

Mongoose would hype himself down a little bit, then get back to the work he were doing just before this, now happier. Might seem a little thing, but this showed that Yannit were willing to trust him, being all alone, and doing important things! Maybe today was going to be great in several ways. long as he didn't fail somehow... Good he brought his emergency gum, even if he hadn't a need for it for a while. This were making him excited, and a tad nervous.

"He'll keep you safe, long as you don't try and ditch him."

He seemed able to punch Mongoose in the face, if he got distracted, so she'd trust Arcade too on this matter, and hope to return to everyone alive and well. Though she'd set expectations on alive, and then see from there. Might be Mongoose would actually live up to a modicum of trust put into him.

Ardee shrugged, "It's not the worst food I've had, but that's not hard. So, what's the plan then?"

"Simply speaking Mongoose will keep you guarded. On request of our coworker, and Mr. Arcade, your role will be assumed for the time by Craven here."

Craven made big eyes, but hesitantly just transformed, to look like Ardee. Though he needed a few tries to get her facial expressions down.

"The three of us will go out, and initiate the hunt. Craven and I will ensure it seems that you are both still with her, to try and confuse your would be attackers into thinking you left the hotel.

I will personally suggest an aggressive chase, and barring more than normal levels of trouble, we should be done within two to six hours. Mongoose will keep you under guard until then. I understand it is not an ideal situation for you, but we will work as fast as we can, so you can return to normalcy, and enjoy the rest of your trip far more freely."

She could literally taste how little Ardee liked the idea of them being here to essentially babysit, but alas, things were as they were. She and hers had a job to complete, and the plan as it were, should allow them to finish it the fastest possible.

Null spend the time grabbing the kit she needed. Which were mostly her cape, and other Vengeance assorted items, and the mended bat she had snuck with her. Wrapped up for now, but it were gonna be having a nice chat with its former owner.

"That's about the gist of it, and I'd prefer getting this done soon too. Out and clear things, then off to see the town more proper, like you deserve, Ardee. I weren't intended for you to be cooped up on this trip at all, so frankly I'm gonna try and solve this fast, so we can get back to actually enjoying things a bit.

Want me to give the guy a thwack from you?"

=================================================================

(Void)

She flinched when Void called the doctor's sadistic, looking away, "Mistress Gemini told me."

Void felt like she had just stabbed herself. Quite frankly, she'd prefer it if she had done so instead, as at least that were just physical pain. Being informed who had told Toupé, and subsequently think about how it might affect her to hear the choice of words that Void had used, made the large mare feel gutted to the soul instead though, from thinking how it might have hurt. She didn't want to hurt Toupé. Heck, she didn't want to hurt any of them, and Gemini genuinely seemed like she had done her best to try and save as many of them as she could, so she didn't deserve to be spoken of that way either.

She shook her head, a slight smile coming to her face as she did finally look at her mark fully. "You're right, this is a good thing, and deserves celebration. My fears did not come to pass, so I shouldn't worry about what might have been, and enjoy what is. I know that Ardee has been especially worried about us getting marks. I'm glad I get to help her see that her fears too are unfounded."

Void were not thrilled, that Toupé knew that she had been born with wings, but it were a fact that couldn't be escaped now, and it made things... Well, both more complicated, and easier, in a few ways. Even if her story sounded like a kinder version of facts - as she were more prone to believing Ardee's story on this - she were still aware she were an amputee, and not one that had been the most comfy about that, seeing how she'd hidden things. Maybe she were just overthinking that though, but it seemed like she hadn't wanted to bring attention to that. Might just be because of her fears. Might be something Gemini had said. Either way, it did mean that Void could speak to her about some... Options. Or at least the possibility of options? Whatever way one phrased it, there were ways things could be artificially corrected, if there were an interest. She had to phrase it right though.

Still, on a positive, it did mean that perhaps they could speak more openly together. Same with Toupé and Null, as they were all three amputees. Weren't something that everyone liked to speak with to *normal* beings. Though with the recent years, of those still alive, damaged beings weren't as uncommon of a sight anymore, as it once were. She had seen that relieve some of the pressure on others, who might normally think that everyone were starring, because they stood out among all the normal ones. It helped her with her nervousness at the start at least, as she had worked alongside so many at her shop, that had one or the other thing going against them.

"There's a lot to celebrate, and I promise you that we're going to.

I have a question for you though hun, and I hope that you would please answer honestly, even if it might sound a bit weird, okay?"

Here it went then. The moment of truth perhaps... Or the moment she'd shove her hoof far down her throat, and cry herself to sleep over having upset Toupé, on her special day.

"Do you ever wish you had wings? Ignoring any others opinions, about how your wings might not have worked, or what were best for you in their mind. If you could make your own, personal choice, would you want to fly? Do you have that longing to soar, or is this how you prefer things?

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-11-16 at 6:11 PM, Blitz Boom said:

She could literally taste how little Ardee liked the idea of them being here to essentially babysit, but alas, things were as they were. She and hers had a job to complete, and the plan as it were, should allow them to finish it the fastest possible.

To say that Ardee was upset was an understatement, "Oh I see, Arcade and I survived the horrors of that facility for years but you'd rather trust some bugs you just met to keep you safe instead of us?"

She snorted as she turned to go to her room, "6 hours. Fine. I was feeling tired anyway. But I'm not staying cooped up in here any longer than that."

If Null or any of the changelings went to stop Ardee, Arcade would stop them, waiting until she left the room to explain, "Sorry, she doesn't like hiding when there's danger. We have... some bad experiences with that in the past. Take all the time you need, I'm sure she'll come around."

By the time Null and her changeling entourage left the casino, the sun was starting to set, and from the lights at the top of the Stacked Deck, the Host's party was already starting. The line at the base of the casino seemed longer and more rowdy than usual, the door guards actually having to rough up some of those trying to get in without a chip.

(Void)

On 2023-11-16 at 6:11 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Do you ever wish you had wings? Ignoring any others opinions, about how your wings might not have worked, or what were best for you in their mind. If you could make your own, personal choice, would you want to fly? Do you have that longing to soar, or is this how you prefer things?

Toupé was surprised, if not a little disappointed by the question. She looked about to respond several times before stopping herself. After a few more moments she shook her head. "No. I don't want wings."

She sighed, "I've made my peace with it already, and it took a lit of effort both from me and Mistress to get here. I am an Earth pony, and that's what I want to be." She looked at her mark again, "Having wings wouldn't change who I am, in that I'm not hindered by their absence. And I've seen how much it hurts Ardee to fly, her wings never made her happy, so I don't see how having them would help me."

She poked at her mark, as though making sure it was real, "Hmm, I thought it would feel... different? It just feels like fur." she shook her head, "Sorry, my point was, if I was meant to have wings, they would have featured in my mark. Or I wouldn't have gotten my mark without them. So for me to have my mark, and no wings, means that they aren't necessary for me to be complete."

She turned her attention back to Void, "I know, you want to fix us. But sometimes, things are better broken than they ever were whole."

She looked unsure about her last statement, "I read that in one of the books today, I'm not sure it applies here. I don't feel broken, and with my mark... I feel more whole then ever."

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

8 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

To say that Ardee was upset was an understatement, "Oh I see, Arcade and I survived the horrors of that facility for years but you'd rather trust some bugs you just met to keep you safe instead of us?"

She snorted as she turned to go to her room, "6 hours. Fine. I was feeling tired anyway. But I'm not staying cooped up in here any longer than that."

The changelings looked, but made no motion to stop her. Neither did Null, though she did narrow her eyes, and open her muzzle to say something.

"I ain't worrying about me, Ardee. I'm worried about you. You might've fought monsters, but some feral beast ain't the same as an organized group, and I ain't dragging you into a knuckle fight with a bloody serial killer and his goon squad. Your family would kill me."

"Just let it go."

"I didn't ask for your opinion."

"No, but you're still getting it. She's angry with you, and you're getting irrational. You two won't resolve a thing like that. Focus on the job, then go back and have a calm chat between one another afterwards. And stand ready to apologize, because she's not entirely wrong. Even if you do worry about her, you Are trusting strangers more than her. Dubious ones at that. Even if I know it's because you couldn't care if we lived or died, while she does matter to you."

She'd transform into Arcade, whilst Craven would gulp down, and take on Ardee's form. That look Null sent towards Yannit, were not kind, and he preferred not being on the wrong side of that ire.

She'd breathe through gritted teeth, trying to calm herself, then turned to Arcade, still irritated, but a lot more focused and calm than before.

"I'll find a way to make it right. Just try and stay safe until then."

He had the time for a response, but then she'd leave, taking charge of their band, as they'd head outwards. On the way, she'd contact her last ally. The one she always had with her.

"Hey Nine? It's showtime, and we're on a deadline. I think we better turn on all the tools for this one."

It were gonna get cold, but what to do about it? She just had to accept it, and focus on the work. For the sake of the town, and the mission.

8 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

By the time Null and her changeling entourage left the casino, the sun was starting to set, and from the lights at the top of the Stacked Deck, the Host's party was already starting. The line at the base of the casino seemed longer and more rowdy than usual, the door guards actually having to rough up some of those trying to get in without a chip.

Her eyes narrowed at the sight. Something were off about this setting. The line longer, and more wild than she recalled. Might just be she had been there on a slow night, but with everything happening, she wouldn't rule out that it were because some were gathering up, to be ready for something. Mayhap the sight would give her some idea, if Basher's lackeys were in this line? If so, they had to get up there too. Good she still kept the souvenir The Host had given her at a previous time, unless it were taken at the door back then. In that case, they'd have to figure out some other way.

(Void)

Void would frown some, at the notion that she were trying ting to fix them. She were wanting to help, but this more bore the ring that she believed they were somehow broken, and needed it. Like some kind of machine. And that wasn't it. She just wanted to help, and were afraid that maybe some of their issues, were weighing on them. She wasn't gonna just force something down on them, because she believed that would sort things. That wasn't right. She could ask, and make suggestions, but their opinions mattered.

"Toupé, I am not asking because I want to fix you. You're not broken to me. None of you are. But I hear the things that's happened to you, and I keep worrying that maybe there's some among you, that aren't happy about how things turned out. And I just want to try and help make things better.

But I won't force any of you to change. If there's anything I hear that you, or any of the others have of problems, I will do whatever I can to help. But I won't push for something that isn't needed, so if you're okay, that's all that matters.

With that done then, I'll make sure to keep my focus on preparing for your party."

And she sure had several things to prepare. Wasn't just about making a cake, but it were making the housing looks festive on the inside, preparing a gift, plan dinner, etc. etc. This were a cause for celebration, and by the gods, were she going to do her best, to make sure that it happened.

"is there anything in particular you'd wish for, hun? Books, a toy, some sort of tool- Anything comes to mind? It'd be nice having some ideas, so I don't disappoint you."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

13 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"Hey Nine? It's showtime, and we're on a deadline. I think we better turn on all the tools for this one."

It were gonna get cold, but what to do about it? She just had to accept it, and focus on the work. For the sake of the town, and the mission.

Null was aware of Nine nodding in her head, "It's an ambitious plan to be sure, we still don't even know where he is, but maybe some show of force will force him to push his plans forward?"

The two changelings would be momentarily confused when the cloak and scarf's abilities activated, preventing them from being able to notice her, then Nine would shift something so that they could see her again. (They'll likely comment on how she seemed to slip away from them for a moment.)

The abilities wouldn't be active for long before there was a subtle shift in the emotions of the crowd. They calmed a bit, many of them starting to look around. While their gaze would lock onto the disguised changelings, no eyes would settle on Null. In a sense it was the same as when she went to see Gray Mare, only the effect didn't apply to the changelings with her.

14 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

Good she still kept the souvenir The Host had given her at a previous time, unless it were taken at the door back then. In that case, they'd have to figure out some other way.

As she would need the chip to activate the elevator, the door guards wouldn't take it, so she would still have it and be able to present it to get into the lobby of the Stacked Deck.

Once inside, but before they get to the elevator, the changelings would get a message via their blindfolds: "Be advised, a large number of pegasi are converging on the Stacked Deck from above. All agents are advised to keep their distance."

(Hotel)

Arcade would prevent Mongoose from going into Ardee's room if he tried, indicating that it would be best to give her some space to cool off. He wouldn't want to take an arrow to the eye if he took Ardee by surprise after all.

Which left Mongoose with the question of how he would go about protecting the ponies?

On the roof of the Top Suits, a pegasus watched, seemingly transfixed, as Null made her way across the plaza, as though he could not look away from her until a taller pony crossed the field of view, and the transfixed pegasus pulled back far enough that he wouldn't be able to see Null again, shuddering as he recovered. He signaled to another pegasus, "Get the work out, we're moving up the timetable. We're knocking the top off the tower tonight."

The second pegasus nodded and took flight, landing in the group in front of the tower and passing a message, before heading to the cloud layer.

The first pegasus would turn his attention towards the roof access, now looking a bit nervous and agitated, "Come now, don't let me down."

(Void)

You're not broken to me. None of you are. But I hear the things that's happened to you, and I keep worrying that maybe there's some among you, that aren't happy about how things turned out. And I just want to try and help make things better.

There was a faint smile on her face, but Toupé shook her head, "We're all broken in some way, some of us more than others. You don't go through the things we went through, and come out unscathed."

With that done then, I'll make sure to keep my focus on preparing for your party."

Her ears perked at that, "Party?" Her question wasn't so much 'what's that?' as it was expressing that she hadn't expected it, or rather, didn't know what to expect.

From what she had read that day, the Trojan tradition surrounding getting one's mark was quite varied, the exact details of the celebration depending on the cultural makeup of the area the pony was living in and who their friends were. Diamond dogs were always happy to celebrate anything, given the chance, while griffons would consider it a noteworthy achievement, but not something to have a feast over, like a first hunt would warrant. For the most part though the tradition was similar to the Equestrian version, with some minor influence from the zebra and changelings. 

(I can't for the life of me seem to come up with a new tradition for Troy... I imagine it would have some influence from the zebra and changelings, but I can't seem to work it together right now. Any suggestion on your part would be appreciated.)

(Not that it matters, since Void will likely either go with the Equestrian version anyway, or some way she picked up on her travels. We can discuss it in the OOC and work it out.)

One thing that was common to all of them though, was that getting one's mark also involved some paperwork. Typically within a week of the mark appearing the pony would be expected to appear at the records office to have it registered, giving them the chance to change their name, for free, in the process.

"is there anything in particular you'd wish for, hun? Books, a toy, some sort of tool- Anything comes to mind? It'd be nice having some ideas, so I don't disappoint you."

Toupé thought about it for a moment, "I... I don't know. I hadn't considered anything like that. The books mentioned gifts were typical, but none of us have much experience with that. Is it okay if I think about it for a bit?"

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2023-11-20 at 3:00 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Null was aware of Nine nodding in her head, "It's an ambitious plan to be sure, we still don't even know where he is, but maybe some show of force will force him to push his plans forward?"

The two changelings would be momentarily confused when the cloak and scarf's abilities activated, preventing them from being able to notice her, then Nine would shift something so that they could see her again. (They'll likely comment on how she seemed to slip away from them for a moment.)

The abilities wouldn't be active for long before there was a subtle shift in the emotions of the crowd. They calmed a bit, many of them starting to look around. While their gaze would lock onto the disguised changelings, no eyes would settle on Null. In a sense it was the same as when she went to see Gray Mare, only the effect didn't apply to the changelings with her.

The changelings did momentarily get confused in fact, with *Arcade* looking around for a brief moment, uncertain of where Null had vanished to. It were like she had just vanished into thin air, without a trace. And then as quickly as she were gone, then she were back, and they were about to comment on what just happened. But she came before them, uttering a few words before they'd look like they were asking questions of thin air. At least she'd assume that were how that would go. The cloaking, were so far the power she had tried to harness the least, so there were a lot of things she weren't certain of with it. Guess they'd just go through it then in a live test, weren't they?

"I'm cloaked. Don't ask."

The two would be uncertain what to make of that, but they'd nod, and be on their way forward all the same. As it seemed none were even looking at her, she were gonna have to assume they also wouldn't notice her, if she presented the chip. SO she gave it to *Arcade*, who'd take it in her hoof, from the side, as if he were pulling it from a pocket. S when they got closer, she could present it, and move on to the elevator, towards a place where neither her, nor *Ardee* had been before. Though they both heard the stories, and saw the after flames. It sounded like a madhouse, so it weren't a place either had much interest in. Considering Ninja were also there, the interest got even lower. He reeked of trouble.

Once inside, but before they get to the elevator, the changelings would get a message via their blindfolds: "Be advised, a large number of pegasi are converging on the Stacked Deck from above. All agents are advised to keep their distance."

Outwards, *Arcade* and *Ardee* just seemed natural, but both had a less than pleasant internal reaction. Yannit wanting to just let out a sigh, shake her head, and say *Of course...*, and Craven wanting to just gulp, and fear the worst. They were told that The Stacked Decks were about to be a target, and now, it sounded like the assault were beginning. And they'd be stuck right in the middle of everything. Hopefully they'd be able to avert the worst, and then get The Host on their side on this, rather than have him fall to a predatory takeover. Of course he weren't eh most liked, as he were honestly a bit creepy, but Basher's reputation were worse, so it wasn't an upgrade if he took over. His whole sector might just be the base for all the gangs in town, if it came to that, before his push to take over the rest of the sectors.

Once they were in the elevator, *Arcade* would mumble something, that she assumed would get Null well enough up to speed..

"It's started."

She knew what it meant, and she gritted her teeth. Things were about to become messy..."

(Hotel)

Mongoose had considered it, but Ardee seemed very aggravated, and he didn't want to get into a fight, so he just set his senses high, to try and feel out if there were trouble, or if she suddenly got out of range. Like if she tried to sneak out a window or something, in case there were one. That would make things a thousandfold more difficult, and mean he'd have to try and rely on Arcade more. Not the paper fox. It had gone with Ardee this time, getting bored with the other two for now, and thinking that Ardee needed it more.

So for now, he'd keep his senses up, and just wait to see what'd happen, while he checked out the room a bit more.

He'd hear something soon though. As would Arcade be able to, as although low, the voice from the room next to them, were still loud enough to be heard. Must mean the one inside were either speaking straight up against the wall, or loudly. Potentially both.

"-ou are letting this happen! You know what can happen. I see... I see it. I know, because you know, and I'm just... No, nononono NO! This is Your crusade. Your rules! I don't... Nnngh..."

A few thuds would come next, as whomever were on the other side, seemed to bash their head against the wall a few times. It were really a shame they couldn't get a room with more sound isolation, but a free room were a free room. You had to accept some sort of downside to that.

"Tired... So tired of this...

I know, I made the deal, bu- Don't shout at me! No I'm... I'm sorry, I just... I can't keep doing this... I'm not you. I'm not cut out for this..."

Low, muffled sobbing would be next, and would be the only thing heard for now, from their odd neighbor, who appeared to be in the middle of a one-sided argument. Maybe a nervous breakdown. Maybe someone getting instructions from afar. Either way, Mongoose didn't like it. It felt iffy.

(Void)

Her ears perked at that, "Party?" Her question wasn't so much 'what's that?' as it was expressing that she hadn't expected it, or rather, didn't know what to expect.

"Well we have to celebrate your step into adulthood, of course.

It's more a saying than the actual sign that you're an adult really, but getting your cutie mark, is a big event in most of the world that I've seen, to various degrees. I can't say I know how traditions are in Troy, since I weren't exposed to the sort of Trojan traditions associated with it, growing up in a open air facility more or less, but I've seen a bit here and there, and think I have an okay idea of how to do a good one, mixing a bit from here and there. A fair bit do have overlap, so it's just about filing in the rest, and avoid the more... Savage varieties. Like you're not getting a tribal tattoo on your face as part of the party."

She also wasn't gonna get tossed into a trial, or maze, or have to dance for three hours straight on a pole. She'd seen some weird stuff, but she were going with more calm, down to earth stuff. Mostly how she saw it done in Equestria, which were more or less a birthday party setup. Though she were going to incorporate a few harmless traditions she had seen elsewhere, if she had the time for it. One involved burning a copy of the cutie mark, into a tough piece of wood. Another were to chisel it into a slab of stone. She'd try to do one of those, depending on what she had at the workshop.

A few more things came to mind, but she'd see what she were able to get done in time. Hopefully enough to make it a day she'd never forget. In a positive way, that were.

She weren't thinking about the paperwork yet, but that part - and what the implications were combined with it - would come along soon enough, once they had talked through things a bit more. Just one of those minor things that'd sneak up on her like a thief in the night.

Toupé thought about it for a moment, "I... I don't know. I hadn't considered anything like that. The books mentioned gifts were typical, but none of us have much experience with that. Is it okay if I think about it for a bit?"

"Of course honey. How about you sleep on it, and then in the morning, I can ask you again, before you leave for school? I can set up everything to before you all come home again, I hope."

She'd go talk to Vale right after this for sure. She'd want to hear about this, and they could maybe try and plan things out together, even if they did have rather limited time to do this, in case they were to do this tomorrow.

"Or would you rather that we wait until Ardee comes home again? It's a big day. I'd understand if you want her to be a part of it too.

Though... There is one more thing. I almost forgot about it, but I'm pretty sure it's the same here in Troy, as in mostly everywhere else.

See, there's a bit of paperwork regarding the cutie mark. Just a matter of registering it, so it's in the archives, along with everyone else's. It should also allows you to change your name, if you'd like that. I think that's more or less universal, in case one gets a mark that doesn't fit their name. Most likes to make it fit, y'know? So you don't have to, but if you want, when we do register it, you can pick another name.

I'll find out how long we have to register it, but I'm guessing five days. A week at most. Just let me worry about the details honey, and you just think if you might want another name with it, okay? No pressure though. We'll get everything sorted nice and calmly, in due time."

There were a lot of various things to sort, but she were thrilled and excited to do it, even if she were well aware that she weren't gonna get any sleep tonight. Not only were Toupé the first of them to get a mark, but she also proved that they could, and that it wasn't the same as those they were cloned from. It should hopefully prove to them all - and especially Ardee - that they were in fact, more than just clones, and were their own, individual ponies.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(For Null and Hotel we're getting into more complicated interactions, so those sections will be shorter for the duration of this arc.)

(Null)

On 2023-11-24 at 12:07 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"It's started."

She knew what it meant, and she gritted her teeth. Things were about to become messy..."

Soon enough the elevator arrived at the penthouse, the atmosphere of the party seemed... different... from the last time she had been there. It actually felt a little more pleasant than before, whether that was due to some real change, or her now being affected by the magics of this place, was hard to tell.

The biggest thing she noticed, was that, despite searching the party, there was no sign of the Host, nor Ninja Briar. But she hadn't yet checked the Pandagon, the room the dragons had been in, or the dance floor.

(Hotel)

Either way, Mongoose didn't like it. It felt iffy.

Mongoose would like what followed even less, as a number of determined creatures approached from the hallway. If he focused he'd be able to tell there were four determined ones, and one who was a deeper mix of confidence, concern, and a deep seated worry. That fifth one seemed to be in charge as they converged on the door to Ardee's room.

(Void)

A fair bit do have overlap, so it's just about filing in the rest, and avoid the more... Savage varieties. Like you're not getting a tribal tattoo on your face as part of the party."

Toupé looked curious about that, but continued with her thought, "I actually read something about the tradition here. One of the books mentioned going out into the dunes, and drawing your mark in the sand. But you don't just draw it..." she looked like she was trying to remember, then pulled out her battered notebook, turning towards the very end of it, "Here it is. You're supposed to be in a tent, so the wind doesn't blow it away, and for the lines of the mark you write words in the sand. You write your past, who you think you are, what you think your mark means, and your hopes for the future. Then when you're done, you take down the tent, and let the desert absorb it."

She looked up at Void as she closed her notebook, "I think they got that from camel traditions, something about becoming part of the desert? I... I think I would like to do that. I understand if it can't happen soon."

She looked down at her notebook, "Oh," she looked back up at Void, "I think I know what I want. Could I get a new notebook? Maybe... one with my mark on it?"

"Or would you rather that we wait until Ardee comes home again? It's a big day. I'd understand if you want her to be a part of it too.

Toupé looked thoughtful, before shaking her head, "Ardee wouldn't want us to wait on her, but maybe... we do a small thing tomorrow, and save the sand part for when she comes back?"

I'll find out how long we have to register it, but I'm guessing five days. A week at most. Just let me worry about the details honey, and you just think if you might want another name with it, okay? No pressure though. We'll get everything sorted nice and calmly, in due time."

She nodded at that, "I... I'll really have to think about that. Are there rules about names? Like, do they have to be unique? Or could I incorporate parts from other names?"

That all said, she'd turn her attention to the door, "We should probably go back out there, they're going to get suspicious, if they haven't already." She moved to put her coat back on before stopping, "Ah, I haven't cleaned myself yet. I should still do that. But thank you, for all you've done for us. You should go before they get worried. You... you can tell them what happened if they ask."

Outside the bathroom Teal and Elef were sitting on the nearby beds, far enough away to not overhear, though with Elef's bat ears he may have heard anyway. They both looked relieved to see Void exiting, Teal asking, "Is she alright? She was acting weird ever since we left the library."

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

Null would head towards the Pandagon, after having a quick look around. She did not see trace of either The Host, nor Ninja, though it didn't make her feel as annoyed as it should probably. Honestly, she were feeling a bit more... Jolly? A bit better than last time, though she hated that it were so. It meant that this place did have magic that affected others, and now that she didn't have her protection anymore, she'd be likely to be affected too. Which... The dragons also could if it were...

Okay, she could do this. She had heard the changelings were more resistant. If they were there, she'd just take a step back, and let one of them handle that. She couldn't go and become a fan filly over some random dragons like that. Especially not at a time like this.

(Hotel)

It was fortunate that the neighbor had started to act out, since it helped Mongoose to keep his senses high, and thus be able to tell that someone were coming. Not for them (yet) but for Ardee, as they were gathering at her door.

"M-Mister Arcade! There's fou- Five outside, headed for Ardee's door, and they're here with purpose. I can feel it."

His heart beat faster, and his nervousness started to rise. His horn glowed, and his knife rose up, standing ready in front of his chest. An instinctual act, and one he tried to fight most of the time, but... T-This were danger now, right? And he were set here to help, so he had to do something, right? Maybe... M-Maybe he'd have to stab someone again. He hadn't done that in a long time. Not seriously at least.

*gulp* Time to go and do something here, right? And... He wasn't entirely alone, right? If there were a lot of noise, the hotel's security would come too, and Arcade and Ardee both seemed able to fight too. They'd handle this. Probably.

If Arcade didn't take charge, he'd go to the door, and open it up, whilst looking his regular self. This were Bling's hotel. It wouldn't be weird seeing a changeling use a room. Especially since at times, she let a few make use of said rooms, to get a rest. Long as they made sure to keep them clean. It was mostly something done at the old theater, but sometimes, there weren't time, or space, and she had to improvise. Other times, it were part of the employment to have a place to rest. This wasn't the fanciest part, so it would fit well. Though he'd have the knife float behind him as he stuck his head out.

In case something happened, he'd react instinctually. Which would mean that someone would get hurt. He weren't proud of the things he had done, but something it had done, were making it a lot easier to hurt others, and knowing where to hit, to make it hurt. Albeit briefly, as death might come shortly after. It depended on how panicky he might get here.

Alternatively, if they got into Ardee's room instead (Arcade likely leading that, so Mongoose ) Mongoose would follow in on that, and they could prepare to defend from her room, which likely put them in a better position for what were to come.

(Void)

14 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

She looked up at Void as she closed her notebook, "I think they got that from camel traditions, something about becoming part of the desert? I... I think I would like to do that. I understand if it can't happen soon."

She looked down at her notebook, "Oh," she looked back up at Void, "I think I know what I want. Could I get a new notebook? Maybe... one with my mark on it?"

"I have a tent actually. It's not in a great condition, or very big, but I can probably patch that up fairly okay, and it should fit you well."

Something she had scavenged on one of her trips to the desert, after she had buried the bodies near it, and said a few words. She knew it didn't matter much in the desert, but still, she believed it were right to at least make the effort, to show a bit of respect. Especially as she had taken a few of their things while she were at it.

"And a notebook, huh? That shouldn't be an issue to find, and I can make something that marks it with your cutie mark."

She'd need to make use of some of Null's tools, but she knew what she were doing. She just needed a notebook that had a good cover. As well as some writing tools. She bet Toupé would like it if she got that.

Toupé looked thoughtful, before shaking her head, "Ardee wouldn't want us to wait on her, but maybe... we do a small thing tomorrow, and save the sand part for when she comes back?"

"That's a deal. I'll try and expand the tent a bit with some cloth and such so there's room for more of you during the ceremony too then."

Gave her some days to find some things to work with, but it should be possible. Sewing were not too hard, when it were patching things up, or adding a bit. It were mostly just an issue when making something like a dress. That sort of precision work with a needle, were not something she had enough training with, to feel comfortable doing an actual dress.

She nodded at that, "I... I'll really have to think about that. Are there rules about names? Like, do they have to be unique? Or could I incorporate parts from other names?"

"I don't think it have to be unique. I've met six different ponies called Zoom Burst. Two were from the same country. I think in combination with the mark, it is unique enough to be okay, but you can pick yourself how you want. So like Toupé Wrangler. Book Smart, Delta Pi- There's a lot of things you can work with, and combine in whatever way you want. You don't even need to have two names. My sister and I are simply just Null and Void, for instance. Some have upwards of five parts of their name, though it's rare. Single or double is the most normal."

That all said, she'd turn her attention to the door, "We should probably go back out there, they're going to get suspicious, if they haven't already." She moved to put her coat back on before stopping, "Ah, I haven't cleaned myself yet. I should still do that. But thank you, for all you've done for us. You should go before they get worried. You... you can tell them what happened if they ask."

Outside the bathroom Teal and Elef were sitting on the nearby beds, far enough away to not overhear, though with Elef's bat ears he may have heard anyway. They both looked relieved to see Void exiting, Teal asking, "Is she alright? She was acting weird ever since we left the library."

"Alright hun. Have a good shower, okay?"

Void would keep a warm smile on her face, as she turned around and wandered outside, to where rightly so, a bunch of ponies were waiting. It were cute in a way honestly. They were so tightly knitted, that they worried when they couldn't see one another for an extended period of time.

She wouldn't have answered them before, but Toupé said she could, so she would be honest with them. She hoped they would take the news well.

"You don't have to worry, Toupé is completely okay. She just wanted to show me something, and talk about it.

She said it was okay to tell you, so here goes: Your sister got her cutie mark today."

Her voice were more gleeful there than it should have been, but she didn't care. Her little darling were growing up so fast, and she couldn't help being giddy at it.

"It's a nice looking one too, but I won't spoil how it looks. I'm sure she'd like to show you herself."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

The Pandagon was mostly empty when they arrived, it didn't look like a fight had happened yet, so it was likely before that stage of the party. The few ponies present seemed to be using the space as a way to take a break from the rest of the party.

When they eventually left the Pandagon though they would run into the Host, who would look surprised, and distinctly far more handsome and refined than Null remembered, no doubt some sort of enchantment she had been immune to on previous encounters. The Host waved to them and started to move towards them, "Well I'll be! I know time often leaves me behind but surely it can't have been that long since last we met. Though if it has, my apologies, and congratulations!" His attention was more focused on the changeling pretending to be Ardee, "You look a bit young to be part of a throuple with these two, so either it has been that long already and you're their daughter, or you must be one of their sisters. Given the hair, I'd guess Null's, right?"

The host chuckled, "In any case, welcome! I'm glad my party made such an impression on Nill as to bring another along." (Yes he said Nill instead of Null, not a mistype.)

(Hotel)

On 2023-11-27 at 4:15 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"M-Mister Arcade! There's fou- Five outside, headed for Ardee's door, and they're here with purpose. I can feel it."

Arcade looked serious as he came over to where Mongoose was. As Arcade approached, Mongoose could feel a small amount of confusion in the determined ones, before their determination returned and the four of them continued down the hall, leaving just the one who seemed to be the leader.

By the time Arcade got to the door, the other four were long gone, so Ardee didn't see them when he peaked through the eyehole in the door, which was set up so he could see who was in front of Ardee's door too. "Hmm" Arcade would whisper, "It looks like the pegasus we spoke to on the roof, maybe he went looking for us when we didn't return?"

Whoever was out there knocked on Ardee's door, and Mongoose could tell that Ardee was stirring from her bed. Arcade looked to Mongoose, "What should we do?"

(Void)

Toupé nodded along to everything that Void told her, taking her comments and suggestions in consideration.

On 2023-11-27 at 4:15 PM, Blitz Boom said:

Her voice were more gleeful there than it should have been, but she didn't care. Her little darling were growing up so fast, and she couldn't help being giddy at it.

"It's a nice looking one too, but I won't spoil how it looks. I'm sure she'd like to show you herself."

The other two didn't know there was some upper limit on happiness for someone else's achievement, so they weren't concerned by it. It did make the foals more curious as to what was going on, both of them propping themselves up to peer over the edge at what was going on.

Teal and Elef looked surprised by the information, Teal speaking up, "That's a good thing then? I mean, you make it sound like a good thing, but she didn't seem too happy on the way home."

Elef chimed in, "Maybe she didn't know it was good until Miss Void explained it to her? And that's why she wanted to show her first? They told me at the festival that getting one's mark is very important. That it's..." he looked thoughtful, "Oh, what did they say...? It's... a mark is... " he shook his head, "A mark is an outward representation of the inner self?" He shrugged, "Something like that. It's supposed to appear when you've started on the path to whoever you're supposed to become."

Teal looked back towards Void, "So what does this mean for her, and us, going forward? Are we supposed to treat her differently now? Does she want us to? Or has nothing changed really?"

Given the depth of their confusion, it might be worth asking their teachers to have a lesson on marks soon. 

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

Null had to shake her head a moment, then look at The Host again. Why did he look more appealing all of a sudden? Urgh, must be that accursed magic in this place.

Honestly, much as she hated her curse at times, it were getting weird not having it anymore. She were getting affected by things she didn't have to think about for her entire life. Sure it had caused a lot of bad things, but it were also a layer of protection that she were now missing. Though that said, she were not missing being part of the cycle of parental neglect and death. If ever she had her own foals, she wanted them to be raised right, and not be destined to stab her. She had enough nightmares from doing that herself, despite her not liking The Grey, or thinking about him as her real father.

Hopefully she could help Epsilon too someday, before it got too late... If not by ridding her of the influence of what made her into Grey Mare, then perhaps by ending the family curse itself, so that while this presence would remain in their family, they wouldn't be destined for tragedy. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would alleviate the worst of what they would otherwise be suffering through.

She were not focusing on that part though. It were more lingering as it ever were, in the back of her head. Her more immediate attention, were spent on The Host, and the realization that he could not only see her, but also knew her name. Even if he said it incorrectly once.

How did he do that? She had only ever used her cover name in this town. This one shouldn't know her as anything else, so why did he suddenly? It were alarming. Like it were that she were visible to him, but that were unimportant right now frankly.

Or he didn't, and she were just misinterpreting what she heard. Might be he were just referencing her. Still by name though, so... It was weird honestly. She'd try to be quiet for now, and see what'd happen.

Craven meanwhile, had to try and live into the role of Ardee here. He had barely met her, so that were not easy, but he'd try his best.

"Nono, we're not related. I'm a friend of Arcade's. They figured I'd have fun if I came along, and saw the sights."

"We're out of time. Make him aware of the attack."

"This place was hard to forget. Though, we did notice something odd on our way here, when she popped up over the skies. There appears to be a lot of pegasi gathering on the cloud layer, over the Stacked Deck. An alarming amount. Are things safe here?"

She did not like standing this close to The Host honestly. She had been told that when someone did, Ninja would inevitably make himself known, just to make the one getting closer aware what would happen to them, if they tried anything. And she did not like him. Even from a distance, he were creepy.

...Actually, where were he? If ever there were a time he should keep The Host guarded, it'd have to be now.

Null meanwhile, were using her sight to look around, and see if there were a trail for her to follow in all of this. Maybe someone here, who hung out with Basher enough for her to get his scent, so to speak.

(Hotel)

"Four... Y-Yes, for are moving on, further down. Though they were briefly... Confused? Yes, I'm p-positive."

Thought of metal impacting soft tissue flashed briefly through his mind, before he tried to distance those thoughts from his mind, and focus on the task at hoof. They were bad. He knew that. But they were also tempting. Especially in situations like this. Very, very tempting...

His knife wobbled a bit, as he heard the knock happen on Ardee's door. Right before Arcade went and asked him what to do. Him. He was... He w-wasn't supposed to make decisions like this! Bad things happened when he did. Bad, beautiful things, clad in deepest crimson.

But Yannit had trusted that he could do this. He had to try... Right? Oooh, what would she had told him to do here?

"Maybe uhm... There's one left. We stand ready h-here, and if he goes into her room, or tries to take her out, we pop out, y-yes? There's no windows in there. They have to go through that door, if they want to leave. B-But I think maybe the other ones are down the hall... Oh dear, maybe they're keeping the hall clear of the staff? We have to be ready to m-move fast.

Though... W-What if she tries to go with him? I don't... That's n-not a friend of yours, right? Actually, if he is, m-maybe you should go out too, and say hello?"

Meanwhile, in Ardee's room, the paper fox would stir too. It had been laying down on Ardee's head, and thus followed as she began moving towards the knocking door. Its head tilting to the side, curious whom it might be, and why they were knocking. Maybe it were the ones next to them? They should have used the other door if it were. Even it knew that.

Guess they'd see soon, yes? Hopefully it were not trouble. It would go and give paper cuts if it were.

(Void)

"You don't have to worry. Toupé just had a lot to think about, because she didn't know what to expect when she got it, or what it means. I think it might be a good idea to ask your teacher to give you a lesson in cutie marks. Or Vale perhaps. I'll look into it, I promise.

But the basics is that a cutie mark is something you get, once you've found your potential, more or less, and you get them mostly by doing things, until you discover something that resonates with your inner potential. Or like you said, Elef, it's a representation of your inner self, and helps guide you forward.

Most get it in their pre-teens, by doing many varied things, until they stumble into what works best for them. But it varies a lot Some get it when they're in their teens, or even as adults. A guard I met in Ponyville, were in his forties and had never gotten his, though he were a successful career guard.

Then there's those rare ones like Null and I, who were born with ours."

She'd turn to better show her flank. Her mark were not the most easy to see, considering it were a dark purple swirl, on onyx-black fur, so it might make it easier this way.

"It's not normal, but it does happen that a potential is reached as an infant. Usually it's due to some special magic, or in our case, anti-magic. I heard stories that some oracles were born in the same way. I suppose ours doesn't make sense anymore, now that our curse is gone, but things happen. It's fine.

In any case, you've had to run and try to survive all your lives. You haven't had the chance to try things, and find your potential. Toupé is the first, but I'm sure the rest of you will find yours too, and get some nice marks to show that too. And when it happens, we'll be celebrating it, just like we will your sisters mark tomorrow. After school, that is. I'll be spending time preparing while you're away.

Nothing will change though, okay? Toupé is still your sister, and isn't to be treated any differently. She might just be more focused in what she does, and that should be it."

There were also how she could change her name, but she did not want to say that, in case they'd try and pressure her. It were better if she were left with thinking that over herself. Unless she wanted to talk to them about it, but then it'd be her own choice.

She'd turn around again, unless it were pointed out to her that something were off, like if her cutie mark had vanished or something. The thought wouldn't even cross her mind, and honestly, she hadn't looked, but weirder things had happened, yeah?

• Brohoof 1