Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Deep Science 1x1 with Blitz Boom

Illiad Easle

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

(I was going to say that the name was an oversight, but I came up with another reason why The Host might know her real name.)

On 2023-12-05 at 11:35 AM, Blitz Boom said:

Her more immediate attention, were spent on The Host, and the realization that he could not only see her, but also knew her name. Even if he said it incorrectly once.

How did he do that? She had only ever used her cover name in this town. This one shouldn't know her as anything else, so why did he suddenly? It were alarming. Like it were that she were visible to him, but that were unimportant right now frankly.

Nine would speak up, "Sorry, the Scarf only hides you from those you aren't seeking, making you impossible to ignore by those you are trying to find. So, since you were trying to find the Host, he was able to see you, and pick you out of the crowd. I should have reminded you, sorry. But you're right, it is strange that he knows your real name."

"This place was hard to forget. Though, we did notice something odd on our way here, when she popped up over the skies. There appears to be a lot of pegasi gathering on the cloud layer, over the Stacked Deck. An alarming amount. Are things safe here?"

The Hose scoffed, but in a pleasant way, "It's always safe here. You don't have to worry about a thing." He motioned back towards the party with his snout, "So why don't I let you get back to it. Looks like you were about to settle in before I interrupted. Though there was a reason why I came over here... hmmm..." he tapped his chin, "Ah, that's right, I wanted to say something to that little friend of yours. The Dragons still want to see her, but it looks like she slipped away while we were talking."

He shrugged, "Anyway, pass that along for me would you? And have fun!"

Nine would again comment, "Looks like he lost track of you once you found him though, so the scarf is working properly. Sorry again, it's been, oh, a thousand years since I last had to do this, and my last partner was Luna, who pioneered most of this stuff, so I forget that you're not as familiar with it."

It seemed that the Host was safe, for now, but he didn't seem concerned by the message they had.

They wouldn't have long to consider it before they found themselves facing the ninja they had been looking for, his presence seemingly deafening the party around them, and no others noticing his presence. He motioned, silently, for them to follow him. And implied, with his eyebrows alone, that they would regret not following him.

(Hotel)

I don't... That's n-not a friend of yours, right? Actually, if he is, m-maybe you should go out too, and say hello?"

Arcade raised an eyebrow, but nodded, "If you think that's best."

He checked the hallway with the peephole to make sure the coast was clear before opening the door a bit to peak out, catching the attention of the pegasus in the hallway. He turned with an expression that matched his emotions, a bit of relief and some surprise. Actually, more than a little bit of relief in his emotions, though his face showed just the small relief and surprise.

"Ah! I was hoping to find you, looks like I was off by one, but it's better than searching the whole hotel. You two never came back up to the roof, so I was worried something had happened to you."

He pulled a map out from under his wing and held it out for Arcade, "I found a map of the city, and marked a few places on it for you. You should have some luck searching there."

While the pegasus was talking, Ardee quietly entered the room, her first instinct having been to go to Arcade when there was a knock at the door, though she calmed when she saw that Arcade was dealing with it.

Assuming the paper fox moved with Ardee into Arcade's room, Mongoose might notice that the pegasus's eyes briefly moved in the direction of the paper fox as though he could see it through the wall before he resumed eye contact with Arcade.

Arcade acepted the map, looking it over to see the marked locations before turning his attention back to the pegasus, "Sorry we couldn't come back up to meet you. Apparently things got dangerous quick so we decided to limit our exposure. I'm sure you understand, given who we're tracking."

The pegasus nodded, "Understandable, do let Ardee know that I'm still willing to train her, once it's safe of course."

Arcade nodded, "I'll pass that along."

Arcade then shut the door, and Mongoose could track the pegasus leaving straight away, heading towards the stairs at the end of the hall that led up to the roof, rather than heading to the rotunda to exit out the front. That in and of itself was not suspicious, plenty of pegasi preferred to leave via the roof, but Mongoose might not be willing to doubt that point.

Arcade would relay what had happened to Ardee, and Ardee would comment that she had run into him when she got dinner, and had made plans to get some training like he had offered when they first met on the roof. Those plans had been for that night, and was part of why she had been so disappointed to be confined to her room for the night.

(Void)

Elef and Teal nodded as they listened to Void's explanation of what had happened, it was clear they still didn't fully understand what was going on, but they weren't worried anymore.

Toupé wouldn't be too much longer getting out of the shower, once again wearing the lab coat, only the tail portion of the coat had been folded up, leaving her mark visible, She had also done some of her mane up in a small bun. (Similar to the image I sent long ago, only the tail of the lab coat still covers her back.)

Spoiler

Toupe.thumb.png.d9dc0104f963720125f27ceb88e8b289.thumb.png.6351adc27956cbabe8560c680a3dd20a.png

The other two were quick to approach, asking her what her mark meant and expressing their individual congratulations to her for it, which made her smile a bit, though she commented that she wasn't fully sure she knew what it meant yet, only that she seemed to have gotten it while they were in the library, and she had first noticed it when she was trying to find a pattern in which books were missing, so maybe it had to do with research? She shrugged.

Elef repeated his comment that the thestral elders had told him that marks were meant to guide to who you were meant to be, and Toupé nodded thoughtfully at that.

All that said, they turned their attention back to Void, asking if there was something else they needed to do that night? Or if it was time for bed.

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2023-12-10 at 3:06 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Nine would speak up, "Sorry, the Scarf only hides you from those you aren't seeking, making you impossible to ignore by those you are trying to find. So, since you were trying to find the Host, he was able to see you, and pick you out of the crowd. I should have reminded you, sorry. But you're right, it is strange that he knows your real name."

"So that's how this whole garment thing works. That's gonna cause some wrinkles later I'm guessing."

Great stuff. Now she were going to have to not focus on anyone else than her main target, or she were impossible to not take notice of. And she had just made herself look like a fool. Not that that were all that unusual in recent times, it felt like. A fair amount of hooves she had shoved into her own muzzle. Not that it mattered right now. Had to keep focus on the mission, and apparently just about no one else.

The Hose scoffed, but in a pleasant way, "It's always safe here. You don't have to worry about a thing." He motioned back towards the party with his snout, "So why don't I let you get back to it. Looks like you were about to settle in before I interrupted. Though there was a reason why I came over here... hmmm..." he tapped his chin, "Ah, that's right, I wanted to say something to that little friend of yours. The Dragons still want to see her, but it looks like she slipped away while we were talking."

He shrugged, "Anyway, pass that along for me would you? And have fun!"

Nine would again comment, "Looks like he lost track of you once you found him though, so the scarf is working properly. Sorry again, it's been, oh, a thousand years since I last had to do this, and my last partner was Luna, who pioneered most of this stuff, so I forget that you're not as familiar with it."

"I have no idea how any of this works. So far, I'm going through this by trial and error basically."

"I'll make sure she gets the message."

"Thanks for the reassurance."

None of the three of them, believed that things were actually safe here, but it wasn't like they could just knock out The Host, and drag him to a safe spot. Ninja would likely show up out of nowhere, and plant a knife in their hearts. And that would be a sucky end for things.

So best they could do were just to stick around the party, and be ready to act, if needed.

"Let's look for the dragons. Keep your eyes out for anything out of the ordinary though."

So if she got this right, focusing only on the dragons, and Basher, she should be able to be only noticed by those three. Though so far, she still hadn't caught the *scent* of Basher, or anyone he were around.

=================================================================

(Hotel)

Arcade acepted the map, looking it over to see the marked locations before turning his attention back to the pegasus, "Sorry we couldn't come back up to meet you. Apparently things got dangerous quick so we decided to limit our exposure. I'm sure you understand, given who we're tracking."

The pegasus nodded, "Understandable, do let Ardee know that I'm still willing to train her, once it's safe of course."

Arcade nodded, "I'll pass that along."

Arcade then shut the door, and Mongoose could track the pegasus leaving straight away, heading towards the stairs at the end of the hall that led up to the roof, rather than heading to the rotunda to exit out the front. That in and of itself was not suspicious, plenty of pegasi preferred to leave via the roof, but Mongoose might not be willing to doubt that point.

Arcade would relay what had happened to Ardee, and Ardee would comment that she had run into him when she got dinner, and had made plans to get some training like he had offered when they first met on the roof. Those plans had been for that night, and was part of why she had been so disappointed to be confined to her room for the night.

Mongoose had transformed into Null, as the door opened, assuming that it were best to try and look like the group was there, even though he weren't the best at keeping her stern glance on right now. It weren't his best kind of disguises. That's why he did better as cleaners, or janitors, etc. folks noticed less, and he could get away with a few awkward faces at times, as it weren't too unusual that service workers were overly careful about not causing offense, or felt awkward around others at times. So when he had his nervous streaks, it didn't stand out as badly.

Still, he'd just shut up, and listen. Seemed like this one were a friend of theirs actually, and a bit of an odd one. Like he seemed to look right at the wall for no reason suddenly. Oddly enough, it seemed to coincide when Ardee showed up, with the paper fox on her head. Might just be a coincidence though, but it might also be that he somehow sensed either of them. Likely Ardee. Why would the fox catch his attention honestly?

The fox would tilt its head as it heard him though, then wander a bit more forward, and let out it's little cheeky laughing sound. Wasn't all that loud, but Ardee should hear it at least.

Once he were proper gone, Mongoose would drop the costume, and approach Ardee, slowly getting a bit calmer. Would still take some time though.

"H-Hey, I'm.. Sorry, that you and your uh, friend out there, are m-missing your training session. I g-guess it makes sense you were angry before.

Is it uh... S-Sorry for asking this, but are you sure he's safe?"

The little fox would answer by jumping into the air, then unfold, and show the message that it had eaten before, written on it's own inner surface, as it floated in the air. Then after about ten seconds, would fold in upon itself again, getting back into its previous, foxy form.

"Uuuuh... I'm not sure what to say about that."

(Void)

Elef and Teal nodded as they listened to Void's explanation of what had happened, it was clear they still didn't fully understand what was going on, but they weren't worried anymore.

Toupé wouldn't be too much longer getting out of the shower, once again wearing the lab coat, only the tail portion of the coat had been folded up, leaving her mark visible, She had also done some of her mane up in a small bun. (Similar to the image I sent long ago, only the tail of the lab coat still covers her back.)

Void were all smiles as she saw Ardee come out of the shower, showing herself off a little more than she had before. Just enough to more proudly show off her cutie mark, as well as wear her mane up.

"It's good to see you embrace your cutie mark like this, and not hide it, Ardee. It suits you nicely."

The other two were quick to approach, asking her what her mark meant and expressing their individual congratulations to her for it, which made her smile a bit, though she commented that she wasn't fully sure she knew what it meant yet, only that she seemed to have gotten it while they were in the library, and she had first noticed it when she was trying to find a pattern in which books were missing, so maybe it had to do with research? She shrugged.

Elef repeated his comment that the thestral elders had told him that marks were meant to guide to who you were meant to be, and Toupé nodded thoughtfully at that.

All that said, they turned their attention back to Void, asking if there was something else they needed to do that night? Or if it was time for bed.

"I think now is a good time for you to go to bed. You're gonna need your energy for school tomorrow.

Sleep tight, and have nice dreams."

She'd go over and give some good night hugs if they wanted. And of course, if they still wanted for a goodnight story, she'd be happy to take out the book, and read them one. Or go further in the one they were at, if they had been in the middle of one.

Once everyone were nice and asleep though, she'd have to go and work on what were needed for tomorrow. Starting with looking for Vale. This were big news, and she were gonna need a proper invitation for the festivities tomorrow. As well as getting time to prepare proper herself, in case she had input, or needed to get something done. Either way, Void were not getting sleep this night, as after that, time would go to the workshop to get cracking. She had a lot of things to prepare, and plans to make. Things to have done before the young ones would get to school, so she could have time to set it up proper while they were away. Perhaps she'd even have the time to get a message to the school about potentially getting a lesson on cutie marks set in? She'd have to see what time she had to work with.

Oooh, this was so exciting!

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-12-11 at 4:06 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"So that's how this whole garment thing works. That's gonna cause some wrinkles later I'm guessing."

"We'll just need to practice. For now I'll keep who you're searching for specific, and only switch it when you consciously decide to switch targets, rather than letting it shift based on who you're looking for at the moment."

(You didn't respond to this last part, so I'll repeat it again here.)

It seemed that the Host was safe, for now, but he didn't seem concerned by the message they had.

They wouldn't have long to consider it before they found themselves facing the ninja they had been looking for, his presence seemingly deafening the party around them, and no others noticing his presence. He motioned, silently, for them to follow him. And implied, with his eyebrows alone, that they would regret not following him.

(Hotel)

The stored message said pretty much the same thing that Ardee had relayed, setting a time and place for training, the time being tonight and the place being the roof. Ardee looked surprised to see that the message was preserved. "Yeah, he mentioned that the fox had run off with his first message."

Returning to the previous question, Arcade shrugged, "Honestly? Not sure. I mean, he doesn't give off the vibe the researchers did, but that's our only real metric for gauging ponies. We haven't exactly had many opportunities to need to be wary of ponies before. I figured that was your job?"

It is worth noting that none of the changeling staff had seen this pegasus before he showed up on the roof earlier today. None remembered seeing him anyway, but that didn't mean too much, just that they hadn't had reason to notice him before. So he might be new in town, but at the very least had not yet done anything to harm changelings.

(Void)

"It's good to see you embrace your cutie mark like this, and not hide it, Ardee. It suits you nicely."

Toupé blushed a bit at it being called out, "I... I wasn't sure. I mean, the coat was designed to wear it like this, but Mistress rarely did it, so I wasn't sure if it was appropriate? I know everypony else doesn't usually wear clothes, but I feel more exposed than I'm used to."

Her confidence would grow seeing as Void didn't scold her or look disappointed for it. 

Starting with looking for Vale.

While Vale wasn't in her apartment if Void went to look there first, she would encounter her on the street outside the building, accompanied by a buck that she might recognize as the one who had come to get his wooden leg cut by Null, or if she wasn't aware of that, he had also been the receptionist at the hospital when she had gone in to have her eye fixed when they first got back from the Gates of Tartarus.

Even if she didn't recognize him, he would recognize her, but he wouldn't intrude unless addressed, leaving her and Vale to talk.

Vale looked a bit embarrassed to be caught on the street with someone, "Oh! Um, hi Void. Is everything alright with the young ones?"

Perhaps she'd even have the time to get a message to the school about potentially getting a lesson on cutie marks set in?

Void had been given the addresses of their teachers in case she needed to reach out to them directly, so she would be able to find Gypsum's modest apartment near the wall. The area seemed to have a pretty high diamond dog population compared to the rest of the city. Gypsum would be asleep though, unless Void came by in the morning before waking up the young ponies, in the which case she would catch Gypsum getting back from a run, panting, "Gypsum greets you, how can this one help?"

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2023-12-13 at 11:12 PM, Illiad Easle said:

(You didn't respond to this last part, so I'll repeat it again here.)

(was tired, sorry)

And there he was. As intimidating and annoying to look at as ever. More the former part, for the changelings he were starring at. He were an unnerving presence at the best of times, and this were not that. They were clearly at the center of his attention, and the look he gave them, did not bode well for what would happen, if they resisted.

As such, they'd cautiously follow him, with Null going with them. He shouldn't be able to see her now, as she hadn't been looking for him specifically, so she might be able to do something, in case he tried to do something despicable. Though one could wonder why he were calling them over in the first place. What business did Ninja of all ponies, have with them? And alone at that?

Guess they'd soon find out, but none of them were expecting it to be anything positive. Anything ranging from an assassination, to general threats, to him ending up being a secret member of Basher's team, that had been persuaded into following the uprising. Heck, for all they knew, he'd tear of his face, and reveal himself to be a creature from beyond the veil of this world, hungry for their souls.

(Hotel)

The stored message said pretty much the same thing that Ardee had relayed, setting a time and place for training, the time being tonight and the place being the roof. Ardee looked surprised to see that the message was preserved. "Yeah, he mentioned that the fox had run off with his first message."

"I guess it's been uh, p-preserving it for you then? I can't say I understand how it uh, works or anything."

Some things were just weird, for the sake of being weird. He'd just assume that the paper fox, had somehow printed the other message inside itself, since the notion that it had actually eaten the words, didn't pass his mind at all. Why would it? The idea were absurd, and had to be seen to be believed.

The fox seemed to find his confusion amusing, considering the low snickering, and way it were glancing towards him, with the drawn upon line eyes. This one seemed an easy target to mess with, and even though it were technically its own being, it were still made by a kitsune. A certain fondness for trickery and messing with folks, were to be expected.

Returning to the previous question, Arcade shrugged, "Honestly? Not sure. I mean, he doesn't give off the vibe the researchers did, but that's our only real metric for gauging ponies. We haven't exactly had many opportunities to need to be wary of ponies before. I figured that was your job?"

It is worth noting that none of the changeling staff had seen this pegasus before he showed up on the roof earlier today. None remembered seeing him anyway, but that didn't mean too much, just that they hadn't had reason to notice him before. So he might be new in town, but at the very least had not yet done anything to harm changelings.

"I-I'm.... Yes, I am the guard, but that d-doesn't mean I know who your friends are, or who everyone here is. I have to ask things."

At least he were fairly sure that were how that went. He were still new at this, okay? He were nervous, and with everyone that had been about to show before, he were also fairly untrusting of just about anyone. Who knew what one might come for? A maid could be an assassin. A regular pegasus, a bomb. A glass of water? Cyanide!

"I have to protect you, so t-that means just make sure that no one takes you away, or comes here to attack you. If they try, I have to- I-I mean I Could, do something bad to them. If I had to."

He'd awkwardly stash the dagger away on his person again, having noticed it were still hovering near him. Darn these old wants of his.

Regarding the staff? They hadn't noticed anything as it were, and considering the griffon hadn't hurt anyone, or caused a ruckus of any kind, it were likely they hadn't even tried to pay much attention to him. Then again, one could wonder if perhaps there were another reason... It were probably nothing though. Right?

"B-But let's not hope it goes to that, right. Just wait a bit more, and the others should be back, and then you can go on the roof, w-with that one."

(Void)

Toupé blushed a bit at it being called out, "I... I wasn't sure. I mean, the coat was designed to wear it like this, but Mistress rarely did it, so I wasn't sure if it was appropriate? I know everypony else doesn't usually wear clothes, but I feel more exposed than I'm used to."

Her confidence would grow seeing as Void didn't scold her or look disappointed for it

"Ponies doesn't have to wear clothes honey, but it's a personal choice that some make. Some do it because they feel cold. Others because they feel exposed, if they don't wear something. Others still, want to do it because of fashion, or because they think it makes them look nice."

She herself always wore the cloth around her neck, just as Null wore her hat. They didn't have to, but it were clothes they had gotten attached to, over the years, and thus tended to wear most of the time. It was a choice they made, and she'd never blame another for making a choice of their own, regarding something as harmless as clothes. Toupé least of all, as she had good reason to want to wear hers.

"And of course, some do it because the clothes they wear, have history for them. Your coat have plenty, and I think you wear it quite well like this."

While Vale wasn't in her apartment if Void went to look there first, she would encounter her on the street outside the building, accompanied by a buck that she might recognize as the one who had come to get his wooden leg cut by Null, or if she wasn't aware of that, he had also been the receptionist at the hospital when she had gone in to have her eye fixed when they first got back from the Gates of Tartarus.

Even if she didn't recognize him, he would recognize her, but he wouldn't intrude unless addressed, leaving her and Vale to talk.

Vale looked a bit embarrassed to be caught on the street with someone, "Oh! Um, hi Void. Is everything alright with the young ones?"

Void were surprised to se Vale with a familiar face out here, though nothing were able to get the big, happy smile from her face now. Not that this one would be able to, considering she recognized him. Not so much from the hospital, since she had been well spent at the time, and didn't have the energy to focus on everything too greatly, but she did know him from the work her sister had done on him. Null had been talking for quite a bit about the one with the ever-growing leg. Though she did vaguely recall his face too. Just not with enough certainty, to be able to tell if this were indeed the buck that she had run into, after they had gotten back from the gates.

"There you were, Vale. And uh... I'm sorry, I don't remember your name, but I know my sister did some leg work on you, and I think you were in the hospital too? I'm sorry for interrupting you two, but I had to go and tell Vale what's happened."

She'd let them get back to their meeting, date, or whatever it were, once she were done, but she had to let Vale know about the development first. No better time than now to do it, though she should perhaps not try to sound so gleeful as she said it.

Something she'd utterly fail at.

"Vale, it's about Toupé. She got her cutie mark today! At the library."

She'd try to keep her voice somewhat low, in case Vale's stance indicated that she were not to speak up about things regarding the foals, near her companion. Otherwise, her voice would be at normal volume.

"I'm gonna prepare a celebration for tomorrow, after school, but I wanted to let you know before that. I don't know if there's any input on the party that you'd like to make, and I wouldn't want you to feel like you weren't invited, if I just sprung it out of nowhere, without a word."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-12-15 at 2:49 PM, Blitz Boom said:

Guess they'd soon find out, but none of them were expecting it to be anything positive. Anything ranging from an assassination, to general threats, to him ending up being a secret member of Basher's team, that had been persuaded into following the uprising. Heck, for all they knew, he'd tear of his face, and reveal himself to be a creature from beyond the veil of this world, hungry for their souls.

Ninja Briar led the trio through a door hidden in the shadow of a corner, into a small office. The walls were lined with weapons of all kinds, and a tally of sorts, maybe kills? It seemed to be the right number given what Nine had said.

Once inside the room, the ninja took a seat behind the desk and pulled down the hood they hadn't realized he was wearing, revealing that he wore a blindfold and scarf in the Grey style. He removed those too, showing that one of his eyes was blinded, and his mouth was heavily scarred. It seemed more likely now that he was incapable of speech, rather than simply choosing silence.

He wrote out a note quickly, and with impeccable hoofwriting, which said: 'How did you know about the pegasi?'

It seemed clear that they would regret not answering. They would also find that, in this room, they could not contact Watch or Ward through their blindfolds.

(Hotel)

"B-But let's not hope it goes to that, right. Just wait a bit more, and the others should be back, and then you can go on the roof, w-with that one."

Arcade and Ardee nodded, the former with more resolve than the latter, with Ardee returning to her room.

(I don't have other events planned for the hotel portion... for now.)

(Void)

"There you were, Vale. And uh... I'm sorry, I don't remember your name, but I know my sister did some leg work on you, and I think you were in the hospital too? I'm sorry for interrupting you two, but I had to go and tell Vale what's happened."

The buck nodded, "That's right, but I don't think we've formally met, so I'm not surprised you don't remember my name. It's Eironn." (Pronounced Aaron) Introductions made he kindly stood aside to let Void and Vale talk privately.

"Vale, it's about Toupé. She got her cutie mark today! At the library."

Vale looked surprised, "Really? Thats... well that's good news! I..." she looked a bit sheepish, "I must admit I don't really know much about what ought to be done in this case. Deer and Reindeer don't really have a comparison, unless..." She seemed to have had an idea, "Going by ages, that's about when bucks grow their first horns, or when does first see the path!" (Given deer in real life get their first horns after one year, and live to be about 6, we can say that these deer living as long as humans get their horns starting about 1/6th of their life or 10-14)

"I'm gonna prepare a celebration for tomorrow, after school, but I wanted to let you know before that. I don't know if there's any input on the party that you'd like to make, and I wouldn't want you to feel like you weren't invited, if I just sprung it out of nowhere, without a word."

Vale shrugged, "So yeah, a major milestone then, but I guess Cervidian traditions wouldn't likely apply here, given she neither had her first magic nor got a vision of her future. I'll let you handle the celebrations then. I'm looking forward to it!"

She sighed, "I wish I could be around them more often, but given how good a job you're doing I can't really justify not continuing my efforts on the other projects. It's not like there is anyone else who can do my job, you know?"

(You can continue talking to Vale or move on, using my Gypsum info from my previous post)

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

This were getting alarming to Yannit, and she could feel Craven were worse off than her. Null seemed wary, but collected so far, which might end up being what saved them here, in case she were hidden from Ninja's eyes. Might mean she could go and stab him in the back, before he had a chance to slit their throats, if the situation arose.

The entry way to this place, were likely meant to intimidate. Weaponry and a tally, which she assumed meant how many had fallen from each weapon. A likely chance there, though even if it were just combined for him, and these were trophies, it were still alarming. For all she knew, that tally were gonna have two to three new lines on it soon.

Getting into the office, they'd have a reveal, which showed some... Surprising details. The Grey garments more than the scars, though said scars did explain why she hadn't found anyone who claimed Ninja had ever spoken to them. Seemed like he weren't able. And here she thought that he had simply refused to, and just knew that his presence said more than enough.

The fact that he didn't speak now either, but instead wrote his question down, told her that assumption were false, and that he actually didn't have a voice to use. Not one that were any good at least, judging by this. Though now came the part: What to say to him? They couldn't lie. He'd probably kill them if he believed they did, but they also couldn't say the whole truth, because something were off about this.

If he were with The Grey, how didn't he know how they had heard? Wouldn't they had informed him directly, considering where they were? Thinking of that, why wasn't she getting updates from the central, if he were a member? They likely saw this, right? Yet, not a peep. In fact, shouldn't they have said something, regardless if he were a member or not? They'd want to clear that up, surely. Which might mean that somehow, they were cut off from the central now... This did not bode well, if she were correct about that, but she hadn't much in thee way of time, or ways to try and reach out. Though if she had to been told how to reach out, she'd do so, and find that it were to no avail.

She'd notice Null were moving forth, going to the side, and preparing to do a strike, if she got half the chance. Though if their communication were blocked, who were to say that Null's little distraction technique worked? She supposed they'd see, though Yannit hoped it did. They might be in trouble otherwise.

"Our friend heard it from one of The Grey. Wasn't a lot of details though. Just something about a flock grouping up. We figured The Host would want to know, since we ran into him anyway."

Wasn't a lie. Null had indeed been told by The Grey. Specifically, by Yannit herself, but that wasn't a detail she were asked of yet. She didn't trust Ninja, and him having the garbs of The Grey, did not help that. Frankly, if he hid it like this, he might be a defector, which just made him undeniably more dangerous.

Craven had gotten closer to her in the time since they entered here, feeling very uncomfortable and worried about this, which were apparent on *her* face. Surely Ardee would be worried about these sorta things too, right? This had to be in character, or she were some kind of ice queen.

(Hotel)

With things calming down more, Mongoose would become able to relax, and get himself under better control again. Though he would be scrubbing the end table down with the determination and fervor of a fanatic dust hater. It helped to calm him down, and keep him more grounded, so he needed that. It worked better than his gum, and he were almost out of that as it were, so he couldn't just waste it. Who knew when he might need it, to avoid going on a murder spree? Which were not as far fetched of an idea as it should've been.

(Void)

On 2023-12-17 at 3:58 AM, Illiad Easle said:

The buck nodded, "That's right, but I don't think we've formally met, so I'm not surprised you don't remember my name. It's Eironn." (Pronounced Aaron) Introductions made he kindly stood aside to let Void and Vale talk privately.

"It's good to have a name to the face then. Nice to meet you properly, Eironn."

Void were excited about talking to Vale, but it were common curtsey to respond well to stuff like this. Despite Null's best efforts over the years, Void had not lost this part of herself. It had slumbered for a time, but times had changed, and she were more calm, grounded, and generally speaking, a lot happier these days. So she were becoming more of a good citizen in mat5ters like this. Most of the time, that were. She did still have her moments, but that were normally in relations to being nervous too, if something went wrong.

Vale looked surprised, "Really? Thats... well that's good news! I..." she looked a bit sheepish, "I must admit I don't really know much about what ought to be done in this case. Deer and Reindeer don't really have a comparison, unless..." She seemed to have had an idea, "Going by ages, that's about when bucks grow their first horns, or when does first see the path!" (Given deer in real life get their first horns after one year, and live to be about 6, we can say that these deer living as long as humans get their horns starting about 1/6th of their life or 10-14)

"Not exactly the same, but it sounds like it's close enough. It's a mark of maturity of sorts, but is also connected to your inner potential being revealed. Most ponies have one. And Toupé's is nice and special. Pretty unique, I'd say."

She were sure that this would get through without saying it, that it were not the same, as the one she had been cloned from. Toupé were her own pony, as Void had been adamant about many times, and this were but one more proof of that. Her path, were different, like her mark suggested, and it should also prove to Ardee when she came back, that yes, they were indeed their own ponies. Just like any other equine regular, they had the chance of getting a cutie mark.

This just made her miss Ardee more actually, but she were sure that the young mare were okay, and would come back within the week. Hopefully with a fresh mark and outlook of her own? They'd see.

Vale shrugged, "So yeah, a major milestone then, but I guess Cervidian traditions wouldn't likely apply here, given she neither had her first magic nor got a vision of her future. I'll let you handle the celebrations then. I'm looking forward to it!"

She sighed, "I wish I could be around them more often, but given how good a job you're doing I can't really justify not continuing my efforts on the other projects. It's not like there is anyone else who can do my job, you know?"

"It's fine, Vale. I understand that you're busy, and we're doing well so far. But that doesn't mean that they like you any less, and I'm sure that Toupé wouldn't like it if you weren't there at her celebration.

I'll sort the details, and get everything set up though, don't worry. And I'm starting once they get back from school. Should give me just enough time to set it all up.

You two have a fun night now. Take care"

Void would wave at them, and then be on her way, lest Vale had something to respond with first. She had a lot to do, and only so much time to get it done.

Void had been given the addresses of their teachers in case she needed to reach out to them directly, so she would be able to find Gypsum's modest apartment near the wall. The area seemed to have a pretty high diamond dog population compared to the rest of the city. Gypsum would be asleep though, unless Void came by in the morning before waking up the young ponies, in the which case she would catch Gypsum getting back from a run, panting, "Gypsum greets you, how can this one help?"

Void had been out and looking before waking up the younglings, as a matter of fact. She had spent the whole night preparing things at the workshop, ready to take it all with her, and then complete the last finishing touches, while the foals were in school. But she had still a bit of time left after that, and didn't want to wander in on the foals, before they all had to get up. They all needed their rest after all. So she had finished up a few other projects that had needed to be completed. She were tired, and could've done with a nap honestly, but at least this were now out of her head, and all the things she had to take with her for the celebration, were stashed in boxes, and ready for her to take with her, when she went to wake them up. It'd be a bit heavy yes, but she'd be fine. Although she did still need some things from the market, unless there were early day vendors out before this, or had been some open last night. If not, she'd need to get someone to run an errand for her. She couldn't leave the foals alone.

But first, she had wanted to see if perhaps Gypsum were up, so she could have a chat with her before the school opened. And just her luck, the diamond dog were up in fact. Having done a run it appeared too. Nice and morning fresh it seemed, which contrasted wit her yawning, before she even got the first word out.

"Sorry about that, long night.

I hope you remember me. I'm Void. I take care of the young ponies, that recently joined your school?

I'm sorry for intruding this time of the day, but I was hoping that I could perhaps catch you, and ask about a lesson, that you could consider for class? They've become very curious about Cutie Marks you see, and while I explain as best I can, I'm not a teacher, nor have much experience in how this normally affects a young pony. I were wondering if perhaps you could help educate them on that, at some point?"

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-12-18 at 11:45 AM, Blitz Boom said:

She'd notice Null were moving forth, going to the side, and preparing to do a strike, if she got half the chance. Though if their communication were blocked, who were to say that Null's little distraction technique worked? She supposed they'd see, though Yannit hoped it did. They might be in trouble otherwise.

Nine would give her a warning, "I wouldn't get too close... I feel... something here..."

"Our friend heard it from one of The Grey. Wasn't a lot of details though. Just something about a flock grouping up. We figured The Host would want to know, since we ran into him anyway."

Ninja didn't seem convinced by the answer. Lightning fast a dark tendril passed a hair's width from her face, snatching the blindfold and pinning it to the table with a dagger.

The message conveyed there was clear enough, he knew that they were Grey agents. Also...

"He has a shadow too. very stealthy. Likely how he gets around unnoticed. I would guess former Grey, a highly trusted officer who betrayed. Not like we can ask."

"Found you!"

Null was aware of another voice in her head, it sounded more feminine than Nine's though it had that same strange quality to it.

"And well, you're partially right. My host was loyal to Gray over Vengeance, so when Gray left, we followed. Despite the new Grey, we remain. Vengeance will no doubt pardon us, given our skills, but my host is far too stubborn to seek forgiveness."

So they had some more information, shared by the Ninja's helpful shadow.

(Void)

"Not exactly the same, but it sounds like it's close enough. It's a mark of maturity of sorts, but is also connected to your inner potential being revealed. Most ponies have one. And Toupé's is nice and special. Pretty unique, I'd say."

Vale looked nostalgic as she nodded, "I remember when I first saw the Path... it's not something you soon forget. Still, it's good that she has some guidance as to her path in life. I wonder how soon the others will get theirs, given Toupé has shown that it is possible?"

I'll sort the details, and get everything set up though, don't worry. And I'm starting once they get back from school. Should give me just enough time to set it all up.

You two have a fun night now. Take care"

Vale nodded, "I'll be sure to be there then. Is there something I can do to help, some gift I could prepare? I understand that that is typically how ponies celebrate their marks is it not?"

I hope you remember me. I'm Void. I take care of the young ponies, that recently joined your school?

Gypsum nodded, "Yes, this one remembers you. You care for Elef, Teal, and Toupé, yes?"

They've become very curious about Cutie Marks you see, and while I explain as best I can, I'm not a teacher, nor have much experience in how this normally affects a young pony. I were wondering if perhaps you could help educate them on that, at some point?"

Gypsum looked intrigued, but a bit unsure, "Hmm... This dog knows not the pony ways. I could speak of diamond dog tradition, or maybe... Woof! I could sniff out a pony who wishes to share their custom, yes?"

(Trying some different ways to generate the diamond dog speaking pattern)

• smile 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2023-12-21 at 9:16 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Nine would give her a warning, "I wouldn't get too close... I feel... something here..."

Null would instantly stop, when she were given the warning by Nine. She wasn't sure what he were referencing, but she trusted that he knew what he were talking about, when he warned her to be cautious like this. Might be he had forgotten something before, but that were no reason to believe that he'd be incorrect about this. She liked to think that she could trust him, and so, she stopped, and waited to see what'd happen. Which didn't take long.

Ninja didn't seem convinced by the answer. Lightning fast a dark tendril passed a hair's width from her face, snatching the blindfold and pinning it to the table with a dagger.

The message conveyed there was clear enough, he knew that they were Grey agents. Also...

Yannit were not ashamed to admit that she flinched, when the tendril passed her face. She were frankly assuming that she were dead, struck down by some some of fast dagger shot, and that she were in her last few seconds of existence, before her body would realize what had happened, and the life would ebb out of her.

Instead, it seemed he had just taken something. Her face remained unscathed, and though her heart pounded hard enough in her chest, that she could swear she could hear it, he hadn't taken her life. He had taken the blindfold. He knew what they were, and with this action, signaled that he were done with half truths, and subversion. Next time, that dagger wouldn't hit a blindfold. It would hit one of them.

"...Yeah, we're The Grey she heard it from. They passed out a warning about the gathering. Told all agents to stay back. But we already had previous orders, to help hunt down a fugitive, and it led us here. So we kept pushing on, thinking he might show up here, if a flock's gathering.

Grey Mare wants Basher. Preferably alive."

It were her duty to work for The Grey, but she wasn't gonna die for it. Not like this. So she'd answer him, and then see if the answers would get them out of here alive. And she had to do the talking, because Craven were currently hiding behind her, and looked nervously at Ninja, after his stunt.

"He has a shadow too. very stealthy. Likely how he gets around unnoticed. I would guess former Grey, a highly trusted officer who betrayed. Not like we can ask."

"Found you!"

Null was aware of another voice in her head, it sounded more feminine than Nine's though it had that same strange quality to it.

"And well, you're partially right. My host was loyal to Gray over Vengeance, so when Gray left, we followed. Despite the new Grey, we remain. Vengeance will no doubt pardon us, given our skills, but my host is far too stubborn to seek forgiveness."

So they had some more information, shared by the Ninja's helpful shadow.

"Well we're not here for him. We're hunting Basher, because Grey Mare wants him and his goons as a new work force. I guess Vengeance does to. I'm new, heck if I know all the details.

Guessing that you're another like Nine? You haven't eaten him or something, right? I dunno how you folks work."

Honestly, she were not thrilled at having a second voice in her head, because it made her feel like it were possible, that she were not a tool of Vengeance, but just having a schizophrenic breakdown, and  no one had the heart to tell her that she were going bonkers. It wasn't a high chance she'd wager, but... Ergh, it wasn't exactly impossible either. She'd been through a lot, so who knew if she had snapped without noticing it?

More than likely, this one - Ten or whatever she might be called - were just visiting, and her head were now shared space.

Motel Messed Up: Plenty of space, for the whole family.

"What's your skin in this game? Just trying to keep yourselves out of things, or dragged us here to tell us to back off?"

Honestly, she wouldn't be surprised if Ninja might be on Basher's side. In which case, this whole thing just got a million times harder. Basher were one thing. She could probably handle him, even though to some extend, she had gotten him last time by him being overconfident. Ninja probably knew fourteen different ways to break her spine in three seconds. He were not unfamiliar with blood on his hooves, and he had the training and expertise to prove it. The sort she couldn't compete with, lest she had a lot of cheats up her sleeve. But he had a Nine of his own, so whatever tricks she might have, he'd know, and had been aware off for way longer than her.

Basically, if he were on Basher's side, she were screwed.

(Void)

Vale nodded, "I'll be sure to be there then. Is there something I can do to help, some gift I could prepare? I understand that that is typically how ponies celebrate their marks is it not?"

"It could be a matter of hours, or months before the others sees theirs. But I believe that now they're trying things, it will start to happen, a little over time. Toupé found her field of research, so to speak. Ardee might have found hers, when she comes home. We'll just have to wait and see, but I have high hopes for them.

As for help, I'm gonna work through the night to get things sorted, but Toupé really wanted a new notebook, with her mark on it. I should have the things I need to make something there, but I think she'd be happy with a new pen perhaps too, for her notebook. Though it's entirely up to you, of course. It's customary to bring a gift, but that's a pony tradition, and even if you do want to follow that, the most important thing is that it'd be from the heart.

Although, I might still need a few things for tomorrow... I could perhaps use some help looking out for Peal and Piecey for half an hour, if I do lack some things, but I'll try and have everything sorted before I get there tomorrow, so I can keep them occupied whilst preparing."

She were gonna need to have some more strawberries ready likely. The sweet fruits should help keep them happy, while things around them started to change looks a bit.

Gypsum looked intrigued, but a bit unsure, "Hmm... This dog knows not the pony ways. I could speak of diamond dog tradition, or maybe... Woof! I could sniff out a pony who wishes to share their custom, yes?"

Ah, so it did sound like she were remembered. That were good. It'd ease things for them, rather than her seeming like some random weird pony, speaking about foals that she might not be connected to. This should hopefully make things less weird, as they'd have a quick chat.

"Yes, I take care of them, and their little sisters.

And I were thinking that perhaps you had a book or something, but someone speaking of their own history and experiences would be good too. I got my mark unconventionally, so I sadly can't be as big of a help with this as I would like to be.

I'm sure you'll figure out the best way at this, Miss Gypsum, but if there is anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. Even if I'm busy, I'll make time for them."

She smile, tired but determined, and happy that things were going now as they were. Though she still had much to do today, she'd wait to see if Gypsum had anything to ask of her, or wanted her to do on her end, before she'd wander off. It'd be impolite to say she'd help if there were anything, and then just take off instantly. Made it seem insincere too, and she didn't want that, because she meant every word. The young ponies were her life now, just as her family were, and anything beyond them would have to come later. Though she did look forward to coming home and seeing her little siblings and parents later tonight too. Having to spend some time here doing this, it would take away from her time there today, but she'd make it up to them.

Edited by Blitz Boom
  • Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2023-12-22 at 5:45 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"...Yeah, we're The Grey she heard it from. They passed out a warning about the gathering. Told all agents to stay back. But we already had previous orders, to help hunt down a fugitive, and it led us here. So we kept pushing on, thinking he might show up here, if a flock's gathering.

Grey Mare wants Basher. Preferably alive."

Ninja looked intrigued, rather than angry, seemingly having already moved on from the discovery. There was a pause as he looked in the direction of where Null had stopped before he wrote another note: 'How much?'

It was clear he was asking what the reward was, and not just generally wanting to know how much the Grey Mare wanted Basher in alive.

"Well we're not here for him.

The new voice laughed, or made a noise that Null could only assume was a laugh. It was more animalistic in tone, higher pitched, like a weasel or fox. "If you were, you'd need to try much harder, like attacking from a distance while unseen. But don't think I won't be keeping an eye on you, now that I know what you sound like."

We're hunting Basher, because Grey Mare wants him and his goons as a new work force. I guess Vengeance does to. I'm new, heck if I know all the details.

Nine spoke up, "More accurately, Vengeance has a bounty on Basher, and we've been assigned it. We've enlisted the local Grey's help in securing him."

The other seemed thoughtful, "Now that is interesting... Well, I think my host would be willing to offer their services, much more skilled than these changelings you have now. But he'll want a sizeable portion of the reward, especially since live captures isn't really his MO. But I think we can agree to leave you and Basher alone if you'd rather do it yourself."

Guessing that you're another like Nine? You haven't eaten him or something, right? I dunno how you folks work."

Nine spoke up again, "No, I'm still here. She's outside your head, speaking to you by vibrating your ear directly. She can hear me because shadows like us can interact on a different level."

The other continued, "You can call me Mongoose if you like. And I'd be surprised if you did know how we work. Many smart ponies have tried and failed to understand our kind over the years. We're just different. A sort of magical wonder if you will."

"What's your skin in this game? Just trying to keep yourselves out of things, or dragged us here to tell us to back off?"

"Personally? I'd like for us to get back to work with Vengeance. Whether it is under the Grey or Vengeance directly is immaterial to me, I just want us back on track working off all this debt, rather than racking it up accidentally killing those who don't deserve it. I would like us to help you, but it's not my decision to make. Again, my host is too proud to seek forgiveness, or apply to join the Grey. But if the Grey Mare were convinced to come ask him to join... or if you asked him to help you... I think he would go for it. But if you'd rather we stayed out of it, I'm sure he would agree without issue."

Nine responded. "Though now that that others have told him that Vengeance wants Basher alive... He might go after him himself to try and get the full bounty."

Mongoose shook her head, and Null wasn't sure how she knew that, "If Vengeance has given the bounty to you, he won't get in the way of that. He wants to gain favor, and poaching a bounty is not the way to do it."

(Void)

but I think she'd be happy with a new pen perhaps too, for her notebook. Though it's entirely up to you, of course.

Vale looked thoughtful, before nodding. "If I had more time, I could probably make something extra special with that in mind, but as is I think I can get something good by tomorrow. Maybe next year I'll get her what I have in mind." She raised an eyebrow, "Does she intend to celebrate the anniversary in lieu of her birthday? I assume so, given we don't know when their birthdays are, or does she not know that part of the tradition?"

Although, I might still need a few things for tomorrow... I could perhaps use some help looking out for Peal and Piecey for half an hour, if I do lack some things, but I'll try and have everything sorted before I get there tomorrow, so I can keep them occupied whilst preparing."

Vale nodded, "I'll come in while the others are at school to give you some time to focus on setting up. That much should be doable. Would an hour before they get back be enough time?"

Gypsum simply nodded, "This one has much to prepare, many ideas run about in her head. A good lesson, yes. Gypsum hopes she will be able to provide the information the pups need."

Gypsum didn't have anything to ask of her, and was already turning to head away from her house in the direction of the library, seemingly with the purpose of preparing a last minute lesson adjustment.

(Looks like we just need to finish up with Vale, then we can start the next school day, which I'll actually have some interesting info to teach the ponies in the class.)

• smile 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2023-12-28 at 7:04 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Ninja looked intrigued, rather than angry, seemingly having already moved on from the discovery. There was a pause as he looked in the direction of where Null had stopped before he wrote another note: 'How much?'

It was clear he was asking what the reward was, and not just generally wanting to know how much the Grey Mare wanted Basher in alive.

"Our share is 25 years if he's dead, 35 if he's alive."

Something told her that he were asking because he were gonna poach their entire reward. Which were frankly cheating, far as she were concerned, but... She supposed there'd be other ones, and it beat being dead. He could just as easily kill them and take over that way. Though if he rejoined The Grey, and continued to do that, she'd issue a formal complaint. Anonymously of course.

The new voice laughed, or made a noise that Null could only assume was a laugh. It was more animalistic in tone, higher pitched, like a weasel or fox. "If you were, you'd need to try much harder, like attacking from a distance while unseen. But don't think I won't be keeping an eye on you, now that I know what you sound like."

"Lady, if I wanted to kill myself, there's easier ways than going after Ninja, and I ain't dumb enough to think I can take him in a fair fight. He reeks of murder."

Honestly it'd be good likely, but y'know, there were limits to the madness. She had figured she might be able to distract him or something, if he hadn't been able to take notice of her before, in case they had to try and bolt, but now? Fat chance. Especially as it were obvious that the changelings were not any more keen on attacking him than she were.

Nine spoke up, "More accurately, Vengeance has a bounty on Basher, and we've been assigned it. We've enlisted the local Grey's help in securing him."

The other seemed thoughtful, "Now that is interesting... Well, I think my host would be willing to offer their services, much more skilled than these changelings you have now. But he'll want a sizeable portion of the reward, especially since live captures isn't really his MO. But I think we can agree to leave you and Basher alone if you'd rather do it yourself."

"How much is a sizable portion? Cause to be completely honest, I don't mind giving away more of my share, if it means folks gets through this alive. Basher's mine in the end though. I'm wanting to see if I can talk some sense into him. Or if not that, beat it through his thick skull."

Basher also were her responsibility, as she'd let him take off from the gates. If she had to give her last 35 years share away, then so be it. There'd be other bounties. Heck, she earned 5 earlier from the one above. A waste of life, but it showed that there were small bits here and there, and it all added up in the end. She'd rather want folks to get though this alive. Well, her friends and the changelings anyway. She didn't care much for Ninja currently, but she were sure he got that a lot.

Nine spoke up again, "No, I'm still here. She's outside your head, speaking to you by vibrating your ear directly. She can hear me because shadows like us can interact on a different level."

The other continued, "You can call me Mongoose if you like. And I'd be surprised if you did know how we work. Many smart ponies have tried and failed to understand our kind over the years. We're just different. A sort of magical wonder if you will."

"So your name's Mongoose, and you're another magical shadow creature of sorts. Gotcha. Sounds like that's about all I'm ever gonna get about your kind, so why go crazy trying to fill a book?"

Honestly, she hadn't a clue what Nine were before this, and didn't really think much about the details either. He simply were Nine. The voice in her head, and her companion on the path of Vengeance. What he were beyond that? Hay if she knew, or really cared. Could be anything from a magical parasite, to a ghost possession, or beyond. And if egg heads had tried and failed to grasp this before, then there weren't a chance she'd get further, so probably for the best to just keep shrugging at the subject, and just think of Nine, Mongoose, and their kind, as being themselves. Unless Nine started to harvest her organs in her sleep, it probably weren't important that she tried to understand every aspect of him either.

"Personally? I'd like for us to get back to work with Vengeance. Whether it is under the Grey or Vengeance directly is immaterial to me, I just want us back on track working off all this debt, rather than racking it up accidentally killing those who don't deserve it. I would like us to help you, but it's not my decision to make. Again, my host is too proud to seek forgiveness, or apply to join the Grey. But if the Grey Mare were convinced to come ask him to join... or if you asked him to help you... I think he would go for it. But if you'd rather we stayed out of it, I'm sure he would agree without issue."

Nine responded. "Though now that that others have told him that Vengeance wants Basher alive... He might go after him himself to try and get the full bounty."

Mongoose shook her head, and Null wasn't sure how she knew that, "If Vengeance has given the bounty to you, he won't get in the way of that. He wants to gain favor, and poaching a bounty is not the way to do it."

"I see, so you're looking at this from a possible win-win angle. I ask for Ninja's help, and he goes in and ensures that this whole thing goes over a lot smoother than I expected. Then that gets him in when we're collecting the debt, and maybe I can convince Grey Mare to offer employment to Ninja, which gives him an opening to get you both back to work, sorting through your debt?

Basically the only downside would be that I'd have to offer more of my share? Honestly, that doesn't sound like a bad situation. What do you think, Nine? It's one job. There'll be more later, and this one we're running out of time with."

She'd wait to see what he'd say, but she were ready to extend a hoof. Yet his instincts weren't bad, and he did think of things she didn't, so she'd want to hear if he had some sort of counter argument. Beyond that she might have to essentially do this one pro bono, but she were resigning herself to that fact as it were.

=======================================================

(Void)

Vale looked thoughtful, before nodding. "If I had more time, I could probably make something extra special with that in mind, but as is I think I can get something good by tomorrow. Maybe next year I'll get her what I have in mind." She raised an eyebrow, "Does she intend to celebrate the anniversary in lieu of her birthday? I assume so, given we don't know when their birthdays are, or does she not know that part of the tradition?"

"I haven't asked her about that yet, but I do think it's a good thing to bring up to her, yes. Without knowing her birthday, making her mark day her official birthday, would be a good milestone to work from. Especially if she does decide to change name. But it slipped my mind to ask her when she told me she got her mark. So many other things to focus on, you know?

I can imagine the rest will have theirs not too horribly long from now. A few months, maybe a year tops? Seems like a good way to set a fire in their bellies about this, and try various things. I still need to bring the older ones to my workshop at some point, to try things there. There seemed to be some interest when it was brought up after they arrived.

Anyway, that's thoughts for the future, yeah? For now, it's good to hear you'll show up, and I'll make sure to ask her if she wants this to be marked as her birthday. Plenty for me to do before it all blasts off though, so I should leave you to return to your date."

She assumed that this were what Vale were on. She hadn't intended to say it out loud, but she miiiiiight still be a little, teensy bit giddy, and not as reserved with some comments as she might otherwise be at times.

Vale nodded, "I'll come in while the others are at school to give you some time to focus on setting up. That much should be doable. Would an hour before they get back be enough time?"

"Yes, that'd be plenty to go and grab the last things I'd need to prepare. I use my time right, and it should all be possible to do before that."

She'd pretty much pass out the following evening, when she had to sleep though, but... No wait, she couldn't, she had a thing first... No, it would be fine. He'd understand her being tired, and maybe cutting it short before if it were. If not... Well, it'd be a shame, but sometimes things just didn't work out she supposed, right?

Gypsum simply nodded, "This one has much to prepare, many ideas run about in her head. A good lesson, yes. Gypsum hopes she will be able to provide the information the pups need."

Gypsum didn't have anything to ask of her, and was already turning to head away from her house in the direction of the library, seemingly with the purpose of preparing a last minute lesson adjustment.

"Sounds great. Have a good day, Miss Gypsum."

Void would smile and wave at Gypsum, as the diamond dog turned away, and went out to begin her own change of plans for the next school day. It was a bit out of nowhere, but it were good seeing the teacher willing to look this up, and teach her darlings about something so important,. now that the first of them had gotten their mark, and they'd get curious.

Nothing to do now, than be on her way, and then see what the day would bring. A lot of work, that much she felt certain about.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

20 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"Lady, if I wanted to kill myself, there's easier ways than going after Ninja, and I ain't dumb enough to think I can take him in a fair fight. He reeks of murder."

Mongoose's animalistic laugh repeated, "Fair enough."

"How much is a sizable portion? Cause to be completely honest, I don't mind giving away more of my share, if it means folks gets through this alive. Basher's mine in the end though. I'm wanting to see if I can talk some sense into him. Or if not that, beat it through his thick skull."

There was a pause from Mongoose's end, which aligned with Briar looking away from the changelings as they told him their portion. Then Briar nodded.

"If you want Basher caught the moment he sets hoof in the Stacked Deck, he wants half of what you offered your assistants. If you want him to leave the tower and hunt him down... he wants their full portion, and for them to be cut out of the deal. You can compensate them for their time thusfar, but he won't leave the tower if there are others involved. He also warns that he doesn't deal with hostages. Should Basher take one to try and delay my host... they will likely die."

"That's not as big an issue if you take the first deal, since the rejuvenation magic of this place will fix that, and Basher won't have much time to take a hostage here before my host can get to them."

Basically the only downside would be that I'd have to offer more of my share? Honestly, that doesn't sound like a bad situation. What do you think, Nine? It's one job. There'll be more later, and this one we're running out of time with."

"I think you're rushing this, and taking a bad deal just to finish the job faster won't endear you much to Vengeance. Handing the job off to another means that Vengeance will more likely give them the next mission, rather than trusting you. Vengeance doesn't just care that the bounty is fulfilled, but how you go about fulfilling it, in order to decide what bounties you can be trusted with going forward."

She might notice that Briar was looking right at her, or at least right were she was standing. If she moved, there would be a delay before his gaze moved to follow her. The changelings may also notice this as Basher idly taps on a sheet, waiting for an answer.

(Hotel)

Mongoose would get a message in his blindfold: 'Contact lost with agents Yannit and Craven in the Stacked Deck, presently MIA. The reported pegasus gathering has dispersed. Available agents are requested to seek evidence of the missing agents' survival or demise, 1 year reward for recovered information.'

It was followed by a less formal message: 'Not to be insensitive or pessimistic, but given the circumstances, they may not be returning. You have my condolences. - WARD'

Mongoose hadn't been in the Grey long, but unless an agent was outside the city, where there was antimagic to disrupt the signal or drain the enchantments, contact lost typically meant that they had been killed.

(Void)

so I should leave you to return to your date."

Vale blushed a bit, but did not deny it.

"Yes, that'd be plenty to go and grab the last things I'd need to prepare. I use my time right, and it should all be possible to do before that."

She nodded, and confirmed that she'd be there at the appointed time to help before returning her attention to Eironn as Void left.

Nothing to do now, than be on her way, and then see what the day would bring. A lot of work, that much she felt certain about.

The next morning Void would find that Toupé was already up when she arrived, which was earlier than usual for her. She had some paper in front of her where she had tried to draw her mark, but given the awkward angle and her own lack of drawing skills it didn't come out quite right.

She didn't seem concerned by that though, as she had taken to writing below it, it seemed like she was trying out new names.

If Void were quiet, she'd be able to read a few before Toupé noticed her. Most of the names seemed to feature the word Gemini or Powers in some way, with Powers seeming to come up more frequently.

The last two on the list, that Toupé seemed to be stuck between, were Perceptive Powers, and Gemini Pi.

If Void was too loud coming in, Toupé would put the paper away before Void could see it.

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2024-01-07 at 10:33 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"I think you're rushing this, and taking a bad deal just to finish the job faster won't endear you much to Vengeance. Handing the job off to another means that Vengeance will more likely give them the next mission, rather than trusting you. Vengeance doesn't just care that the bounty is fulfilled, but how you go about fulfilling it, in order to decide what bounties you can be trusted with going forward."

She might notice that Briar was looking right at her, or at least right were she was standing. If she moved, there would be a delay before his gaze moved to follow her. The changelings may also notice this as Basher idly taps on a sheet, waiting for an answer

"And this here's why I hate having a boss... Just can't be easy when you have to answer to someone, y'know?

Okay, here's my counter-argument to that: Grey Mare needs capable folks now. That's abundantly clear. And while Ninja's got serious serial killer vibes, you can't argue that he ain't capable, and an in to get him to talk to her, would be a boon for The Grey, and thus Vengeance, right?

But if you say I shouldn't pawn off things - though I were planning on handling Basher myself mind you - then what's the best option to try and sort through this? Get him in by making him incapacitate the minions, while I got for Basher himself? Or talk about him later? Sounds like it could get difficult to make either side meet up if there isn't work involved though. Both seem more stubborn than mules.

I ain't trying to skip my responsibilities here, Nine. I'm just trying to get this done with as many positives as I can cause, for the ones in charge."

Frankly, she owed Epsilon some workers, after the pain she had caused her. Basher and his goons would be a boon, but Ninja were specialized, and highly dangerous. In case there were more specific trouble that had to be dealt with, it would be a boon to have someone like him on hoof, right? Of course she didn't know what sort The Grey currently had with them, but it seemed a shame to miss this opportunity.

But then, she were simple, and thought of things as such. If Nine would be adamant that it wasn't worth it, she'd just have to go and deal with things as she had intended before now, and then try to talk to Epsilon later, and see if she could somehow get a link up and running regardless.

Ninja would get his answer soon enough, though she did pace back and forth a bit right now, thinking about this, so he would have the chance to look around, while the changelings were just quiet and confused.

===================================================================

(Hotel)

Mongoose experienced an increasing feeling of dread wash over him, as more and more were told to him through the blindfold. The others had gone MIA? That didn't sound good, though it was at the Stacked Deck. They had that revival magic, right? S-Surely they were okay in that case... Right?

The following message telling that he they were presumed dead, were a gut punch right after. Yannit and him had their differences, and yes, Craven did look down on him at times, but it were getting better, and he had come to understand that Yannit just kept him on a tight lease, for his own sake. Give him structure and a chain of command to respond to, that would keep him from going his own ways, which were not ways that led to any good place.

And Craven were getting friendly. He didn't like the things Mongoose had done, but not even Mongoose himself did, so that were understandable and reasonable to him at least. And he had been starting to look past that, as well as the time he unfortunately hit him in the face. They still weren't sure why that had happened, but they assumed it were stress related, and tried to move past it.

Now hearing that they might be dead, leaving him on his own again... His knife wavered, as his thoughts went to dark places, his gaze falling upon Arcade...

He'd throw his knife away, making it slide across the ground, and take steps back, heaving for air, with his hooves over his head.

"No. Nononono. I w-won't, I can't..."

If Arcade came over asking what were wrong, Mongoose would just blurt it out, without thinking.

"Yannit and Craven a-are MIA. They can't get in contact with them a-anymore."

This also meant that there were no one who knew where Null were in all of this, but he weren't too focused on that right now. He didn't know her, so she meant less to him, as he were semi-panicking. Which would not be made easier by the others taking off, but it were likely that Arcade couldn't sit idly by after hearing this, and the implications thereof.

Might well be that Mongoose had to hastily volunteer to go and look for himself, as it'd be the only way to still keep an eye on these ponies, as well as get answers himself. He so hoped that whatever had happened, wasn't them being dead, but it were hard for him to not hear the message from before, running on repeat in his mind.

==================================================================

(Void)

Void had indeed entered quietly, as she didn't want to wake the younglings up just yet, if she could avoid it. The more time she had to get some of these boxes inside, the better, even though they wouldn't get unpacked before after they had gone to school. Most of it were decorations, and harmless to the foals, so they could help her out setting things up, in their own chaotic way. It'd add a personal touch to it honestly, that she were sure would look nice, even if she might have to correct a few things.

As she saw Toupé though, she would pause herself for a moment, thinking about what to do. On one hoof, she'd like to just let her be, while she got the three boxes inside. On the other... No, she could say good morning after. She'd just be quiet to try not to disturb her.

So she'd take the three boxes from the small, makeshift *sleigh* she had used to transport them, and put them quietly as next to the door as she could, without it blocking others from leaving or entering. Stacking them were the easiest, and so that were her approach, though she had to make sure the heavy one were at the bottom. The boxes were nice, but they were still scavenged and repaired. The heaviest one on top, might cause it to collapse down on the others, and that were just not an option. Not after all her hard work preparing for her little mare's big day.

If she had been seen before that, Void would have risen a hoof and said good morning to Toupé, and then get the rest of the boxes in before going over to greet her more properly. If she had not been noticed before that, she'd wander over, and go loom over Toupé, with a big, tired smile on her face.

"Good morning hun. Did you sleep well?"

In case she did see the names on the paper, she would personally be more of a fan of Gemini Pi. It had a nice ring to it, and fit Toupé well in her mind. Though she wouldn't start off mentioning that. It were important to wish the young mare a good morning first. Especially on her special day.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

18 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

Grey Mare needs capable folks now. That's abundantly clear. And while Ninja's got serious serial killer vibes, you can't argue that he ain't capable, and an in to get him to talk to her, would be a boon for The Grey, and thus Vengeance, right?

I ain't trying to skip my responsibilities here, Nine. I'm just trying to get this done with as many positives as I can cause, for the ones in charge."

Nine was silent, though he seemed to be thinking, "You know... Gray Mare might give you a reward herself just for convincing Ninja to come back of his own accord. The amount of debt he carries... would clear your debt several times over if you got even just a part of the commission."

Nine shrugged, "That's something you can negotiate. Which is my recommendation. Don't just accept his first offer, try and bargain. He's amenable to bargaining, right?"

Mongoose didn't sound sure, "Not terribly, but he won't kill you for it. Worst case he'll rescind the offer, but he'll stay out of your way in any case. If you want to go and talk to Gray Mare and come back later... He'd agree to that. Do... Do you want to talk to him more directly? I mean, I can act as the intermediary for you two to talk in private if you want to make a deal."

(Hotel) (Only just now realized that I named the specter the same as this changeling. Purely coincidental)

If Arcade came over asking what were wrong, Mongoose would just blurt it out, without thinking.

"Yannit and Craven a-are MIA. They can't get in contact with them a-anymore."

Arcade had been woken up by the sound of the knife hitting the ground, instantly alert. His concern would be readily apparent given what he said. "What does that mean? Is Null in danger? Should we go in after them?"

If Mongoose agreed that they should, Arcade would subsequently ask if Mongoose knew how to get into the tower. Which Mongoose would not, as the tower had always been locked up tight, especially during the party, so as to dissuade those who were not invited. Without a chip, they would not be able to get to the penthouse, even if they could get passed the door guards.

Mongoose could ask the Grey for a way in, but they would deny, indicating that they would send other, more experienced, members to do retrieval after the party was over. Also waiting to see if the rejuvenation would fix the issue.

(Void)

As Void was a tall mare, and her false leg did not do her much favors in the efforts to be stealthy, Toupé did eventually notice her bringing things in, and would fold the paper before tucking it into the back of her worn notebook before Void could see it, coming over to offer to help move the boxes if Void weren't already done.

She would look at the boxes with a bit of concern though, asking, "Are... are all those because of me?"

Even if the boxes weren't especially large, they were still large enough to contain more than the young ponies had ever owned in their lives. The sum total of Toupé's possessions being presently on her person at this moment, so she didn't understand why so many things would suddenly be necessary, and was worried that her getting her mark had incurred some great cost on Void.

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

"I think we should try and have a chatter with him about this. I'm open to negotiating with him. If we can't come to an agreement, I'll swing around Grey Mare and see if we can come to an arrangement that way.

So yeah, I'm willing to hear his offer, and we're trying not to kill him, so I need to bargain on the terms that we get Basher in alive. Unless you're thinking that even trying to negotiate in the first place, Mongoose, would make him unwilling to hear me out again? If there's a chance, I ain't risking it, and going straight for Grey Mare. There's a time limit, but I get the feeling he's got this place covered well, if they try something. It'd be worth rushing to get this done, if I can do that.

So, should I go for her, or try him first? You know him best, Mongoose, so I'm counting on you being honest here with me."

If she didn't know, or said no, she would tell Mongoose to pass along that she were going, but would return soon, after giving his offer a bit of thought.

If she believed it were worth trying to negotiate first, and it wouldn't burn bridges, she'd try, and counter by offering him 20% of her own share, for hunting him down. She'd have to give way during bargaining, so usually one started low, then prepared to go higher as things went along. She'd assume she'd have to land on 50-60% if it were going to happen in the long run.

(Hotel)

Mongoose would ask in with The Grey, if he could go and look, as it would let him both keep an eye on these, and look for his comrades. After he got a no though, and told others would go instead, he were more torn, and trying to find words to explain to Arcade... Maybe just the truth would be easier, and better?

"T-The Grey says they're sending someone to look after them. But that place it... T-They have the regenerating magic there. V-Vengeance Pointer should be fine. It's my friends I'm worried about. I dunno if it w-works on changelings."

It probably did, but he had never, and never would, be invited to such a place, and he hadn't talked much with other changelings, as they mostly found him unlikable, due to his past actions, and struggles to keep himself just semi-sane. It were better now, but he were also working for The Grey. He didn't have much time to socialize.

"Even if we did still go, I don't k-know how to get in there. It's invites only."

(Void)

She were almost done, but she'd thank Toupé all the same for offering to help. It showed a good heart that she'd do so, even if there were little left to be done. The thought still counted.

"Yes, I think I've prepared everything for your party. To be fair, a lot of it are reusable, for other festive events, so if I keep it gathered afterwards, it's ready for the others too, when they get their marks. But there are specifics in here, like the food, your gift, and a few other things.

It's gonna be a bit of hard work still, but I'm excited about how it's gonna look when I'm done. I want it to be just perfect for you, my precious little angel."

The amount of warmth and joy she felt, would make a hungry changeling salivate probably. But she didn't care, she were so excited to see how Toupé would enjoy her day, and her gift. But before all of that, they had to make sure that they were getting some breakfast.

"First thing's first though, we should get you all some breakfast. And I got something nice this time. Did some baking over night."

She'd reach into one box, and pull out a bag of home-made buns, some jam, and a jar of honey. Butter and such were available, but she had brought these two, to add to things.

"I'm thinking we'll put the buns in the oven for a bit, to make sure they're nice and warm, and then enjoy ourselves a nice, solid breakfast. How does that sound to you, hun?"

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2024-01-14 at 4:30 PM, Blitz Boom said:

So, should I go for her, or try him first? You know him best, Mongoose, so I'm counting on you being honest here with me."

There was a pause, then Mongoose responded, "He's amenable to you speaking to Grey Mare on his behalf. He'll make no move against Basher for now, and will track his movements for you in the mean time. Once you have her answer, come back and we can negotiate better."

Nine concurred, "I think that's the best course of action. Get Gray Mare's thoughts on the matter. Given his debt, she'd be able to offer him more than you could just taking it out of the commission for him turning himself in."

(Hotel) 

Arcade didn't look comforted by that answer, "And if their bodies are removed before the effect triggers? Come now, there have to be better options than that."

Mongoose might remember that Bling had access to the tower as a casino head. Maybe he could get her chip to enter the building?

He also might recall that the Host periodically dropped chips to the crowd waiting outside the tower. They could get lucky and snag a chip that way?

(Void)

It's gonna be a bit of hard work still, but I'm excited about how it's gonna look when I'm done. I want it to be just perfect for you, my precious little angel."

Toupé's worry shifted to curiosity as Void assured her that it was not all for her, nor specifically for her mark. Though she was confused when Void called her 'my precious little angel', "Um, what does that mean? What's an angel?"

"I'm thinking we'll put the buns in the oven for a bit, to make sure they're nice and warm, and then enjoy ourselves a nice, solid breakfast. How does that sound to you, hun?"

She nodded, "I think they would like that. I'll go wake the others up then."

She would go over to the pile, which given the circumstances was now just Teal and Elef. Without Ardee to really bring the pile together... they might push the beds apart again to have their own sleeping spaces.

The other two would get up soon enough, Teal and Toupé moving to care for the foals while Elef washed up, then they would trade off care while the other washed, all being ready for breakfast within half an hour.

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

"Sounds like a reasonable action then. Grey Mare would have to give a final say in any of this either way. We will try and return with some degree of haste, so we can get this over with."

It seemed they had gotten to a consensus of sorts, so they could begin to leave the room. If they saw were allowed to leave, and Null would signal for them to follow, the changelings would follow troop too, though both would bow their heads to Ninja first. It seemed wise to not show disrespect, everything considered. Though if Ninja still had her eyewear, Yannit would have to first go forth, and ask if she could get it back. If he said no... Well, not a whole lot she could do about that now, were there?

When they'd eventually leave the room, both changelings would let a jagged, strained breath, feeling rather poor, but thankful to be alive. That had gotten more tense than they had thought.

It didn't seem the place to ask things though, so for the time being, they'd follow Null as she headed towards the exit. She had to go and find Grey Mare, and hope she had time. This were not something that should wait, and could well end up being very important, to not just the success of this mission, but for The Grey's depleted forces.

Though she did feel a bit like playing Cabin mare again, Running around talking, while on a glorified fetch quest. Could be worse she supposed.

(Hotel)

Mongoose fidgeted. He didn't do well, being put on a spot like this.

"W-Well, The Host sometimes toss out tokens near the entrance I hear, so a lot wait in line, for a chance that they'll be able to snatch one up, before it's their turn to be checked in. I guess we could try that? I don't really think there's... N-No, that is the only way in I know."

He had briefly thought about the access that Bling had, but he couldn't do that to her. She were still new at this, and while she might let them borrow it, if it were found out that she did so, it could damage her standing with them. For the sake of all changelings in this town, he couldn't let that happen, unless there were no other option, and there technically were. Other Grey who'd examine the place, beings in line they could ask to look out for them- There were options. And they'd probably be reanimated if something happened.

*gulp* R-Right?

(Void)

On 2024-01-17 at 4:06 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Toupé's worry shifted to curiosity as Void assured her that it was not all for her, nor specifically for her mark. Though she was confused when Void called her 'my precious little angel', "Um, what does that mean? What's an angel?"

"Well, around the world, there's a lot of different beliefs, about good and evil, and the afterlife. Like in Troy and Equestria, we tend to believe in Tartarus and Elysium, which is where souls go after we die, for the most part. Other places though, have it differently, like the kitsune's central beliefs in their own sort of afterlife, where once per year, the door opens between the spirit world and ours, to let them meet and celebrate with their ancestors. From what I hear, that does happen too. At least at the main land. Though it could still be part of Elysium, and they somehow break through on that specific day. There's also cultures with gods, and I know in Harrowmark at least, the souls of the dead goes to either of those gods, until they're ready to be reborn. Gods are... Well, that's a longer story, but they make alicorns seem like insects in comparison.

Anyway, different beings also believe in various creatures that are in said spaces. Most bad ones have demons, or some other name for it, that tends to mean the same. The better place, tends to be said having angels in some cultures. Kinda like... Creatures made out of a central globe of light with halos around, and multiple wings with eyes on them. The wings that is. I'll see if I can find you a picture like I were shown someday, but they're rather weird looking. There's also various depictions, with some showing them as pegasi with pale multiple wings, or minotaurs with immense, brooding wings. I honestly think that they're all talking about the same thing somehow, and those locals are some sort of shapeshifters.

Regardless, they're seen as radiant and kind creatures though, so calling someone an angel, is seen as a positive thing. The expression where I call you a precious little angel, is furthermore something mostly said by parents to their foals, or someone else who cares deeply for someone under their care. Like I do you, hun."

She'd give an extra warm smile to Toupé as she said that. Her special little girl, all growing up already. This day were going to be great.

On 2024-01-17 at 4:06 AM, Illiad Easle said:

She nodded, "I think they would like that. I'll go wake the others up then."

She would go over to the pile, which given the circumstances was now just Teal and Elef. Without Ardee to really bring the pile together... they might push the beds apart again to have their own sleeping spaces.

The other two would get up soon enough, Teal and Toupé moving to care for the foals while Elef washed up, then they would trade off care while the other washed, all being ready for breakfast within half an hour.

When they'd all be up, the table would be set up. Juice were present, buns nice and warm, freshly heated in the oven marmalade and honey among other things, waiting on the table- This would be a nice, homely breakfast, with the special food being for later. This were a good, celebratory kind of meal though. She had this sort when she were young at least, before the incident that made Null and her run away.

She'd be all smiles and energy, not looking as tired as she did feel behind it all, as she looked over her lovely bunch of happy faces. Lacuna had no idea what were going on, but he were enjoying the energy, and seeing the really small ones again. He'd let out a couple of honking sounds at them all, while booping his head up and down.

"Goodmorning everyone. It's nice to see you all fresh and ready for a new day.

Come now and have a seat. The food is nice and ready for you. I've cut the buns already, so you just need to decide what you want on them. And don't worry, there's more in the oven. I'm just keeping them there so they stay warm longer.

Did everyone sleep well?"

She sounded very chipper today, as she sat down, and waited for everyone to sit, and begin. She'd tell them that they could when they were all seated, if they preferred she still did that, but otherwise they could just dive in, now that they were all here and ready.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2024-01-18 at 12:12 PM, Blitz Boom said:

Yannit would have to first go forth, and ask if she could get it back. If he said no...

Ninja retrieved his knife, allowing Yannit to take her blindfold back. It was undamaged, Ninja having stabbed the desk through the already cut hole in the blindfold.

This were not something that should wait, and could well end up being very important, to not just the success of this mission, but for The Grey's depleted forces.

Though she did feel a bit like playing Cabin mare again, Running around talking, while on a glorified fetch quest. Could be worse she supposed.

As it turned out, finding Gray Mare was not as difficult as she might have supposed.

They exited the room the same way they had entered, which if they looked back there was just a blank wall behind them with no sign of there ever having been a door there. If they felt the wall they'd also find it just as solid as any other part of the building. Back in the middle of the party as though nothing had happened.

Depending on how they decided to leave the party, they would be met, either in the stairway or the lobby, by none other than Gray Mare, who despite the veil hiding most of her expression, seemed relieved to see Null.

Her voice did not betray that however, her tone even, "Ah, you're still alive. When we lost track of your assistants we had supposed..."

She shook her head, turning her attention to Yannit and Craven, "Report, what happened?"

(Hotel) 

"W-Well, The Host sometimes toss out tokens near the entrance I hear, so a lot wait in line, for a chance that they'll be able to snatch one up, before it's their turn to be checked in. I guess we could try that? I don't really think there's... N-No, that is the only way in I know."

Arcade nodded, "Let's go then. Better a small chance than none?"

He would get his stuff together quickly to set off unless Mongoose stopped him.

(Void)

Regardless, they're seen as radiant and kind creatures though, so calling someone an angel, is seen as a positive thing. The expression where I call you a precious little angel, is furthermore something mostly said by parents to their foals, or someone else who cares deeply for someone under their care. Like I do you, hun."

Toupé still seemed a bit unsure about Void's explanation, and looked a bit uncomfortable at how much Void emphasized the wings, but she didn't further comment on it.

Come now and have a seat. The food is nice and ready for you. I've cut the buns already, so you just need to decide what you want on them. And don't worry, there's more in the oven. I'm just keeping them there so they stay warm longer.

Did everyone sleep well?"

They nodded, the other two still a bit sleepy from having only recently woken up, the foals though seemed excited at the spread of food, though Peal seemed a bit confused when she could smell the fruits, but couldn't see any. She was able to follow her nose to the marmalade jar, before turning her gaze to Void with a cutely befuddled expression, pointing at the jar, "Stawbewy?"

• smile 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

19 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

They exited the room the same way they had entered, which if they looked back there was just a blank wall behind them with no sign of there ever having been a door there. If they felt the wall they'd also find it just as solid as any other part of the building. Back in the middle of the party as though nothing had happened.

That was just creepy. Portal door she'd imagine, leading to somewhere far more to his taste, where escape unless he wanted it, would be all but impossible. Null were curious where they had been, but she doubted that there were any answer to find. He did not seem the sort who'd ever divulge where that were, as it wasn't to his advantage.

It did probably mean though, that he could open this room, or entrance to a pocket dimension or whatever it were, at will in various locations. Might be it were limited to this building, but something told her that it weren't that simple. It'd be more than that. Or she were just overly paranoid. Either way, they had to go and find Grey Mare, before too much time passed. She assumed the mare would be in the building that she found her in the last time. So she'd head straight for the exit, not taking any sort of side paths or the like. Just weaving in between the guests, and getting out there.

20 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Depending on how they decided to leave the party, they would be met, either in the stairway or the lobby, by none other than Gray Mare, who despite the veil hiding most of her expression, seemed relieved to see Null.

Her voice did not betray that however, her tone even, "Ah, you're still alive. When we lost track of your assistants we had supposed..."

She shook her head, turning her attention to Yannit and Craven, "Report, what happened?"

Turns out they didn't have to go far at all. She'd be at the staircase, just as they had gotten down. Fortuitous, but made her wonder why Grey Mare were here. Perhaps she did not think they were able to get this done?

It sounded like instead, she had been concerned. Maybe for her. perhaps abut her Greys, that had apparently gone off the grid. Either way, it were a little touching, to see that she still had some equinity in her, rather than just being more or less the puppet of some higher power. She had come off as rather emotionless after she had taken this mantle, so Null had worried about that, if she were honest.

Null would not have the chance to answer herself though, before Yannit would answer. After having bowed her neck at Grey Mare, and waiting until the mare had finished speaking, of course.

"We were taken aside by Ninja Briar to a private room of his, that appears to have been shielded in some fashion. He knew we were Grey, though he didn't ask much more than who we were, why we were there, and what our bounty were. I suspect Vengeance Pointer knows more.

And yes, I told him the truth to his answers, after his first warning shot made it clear what would happen, if we attempted to lie to him."

She didn't know if there would be consequences for that, but it had been her decision, and she stood by it. He knew who they were already, and they had little to lose from telling the truth, but much to lose by lying. So she had done the rational thing. Thus she would also take the penalty for such an act, if there were one. She had not been Grey long enough to know what exactly Grey Mare would and wouldn't approve of.

Null wouldn't answer until she were sure that no one were there to listen in. Even if they had to wander for a bit, she'd say that it weren't for all to hear. Soon as Grey Mare assured her that they were in a good spot, or that they could talk more freely here, she'd talk.

"Yeah, I had a chatter with his specter. Called herself Mongoose."

Yannit rose an eyebrow over that coincidence.

"We were gonna go look for you now actually. Mongoose spoke on his behalf, and it seems Ninja is open to make a deal, to partake in this bounty, and join The Grey. I debated on offering him more of mine, since I am thinking he'd be useful, but Mongoose and I believed it best to go to you directly, and see about making a deal proper. Can't have you thinking I'm just tossing all my responsibilities elsewhere, but I did think you'd want him in. Someone like that, outta be useful."

Considering her depleted ranks, and what Nine had told her, she'd assume that her half sister were interested at least. She'd probably still have to act as the link between them for now, but that was a minor evil to deal with. Long as they got things going. She had an escapee from Tartarus to hunt down.

(Hotel)

"W-Wait! What about uhm... Her? I were supposed to keep you both safe, if we leave, t-then what?"

They would probably have to bring her along then, yes? It sounded like it'd be hard to tell Arcade to stay put anyway. His marefriend were out there, and maybe dead. He had a hard time not sympathizing with that. And he had friends (sort of) that were there too. He were worried about them too. More so, since he wasn't sure if changelings could return via the weird magic The Host had, whereas he knew what it were working on ponies.

As for Ardee... He'd let Arcade decide on what they did. Mongoose were not one to take charge a lot. More of a follower, meant to take orders.

(Void)

Void went and patted the little cutie, looking as she confused tried to find the strawberries that she could smell. She had a good nose that one.

"That's right Peal, that's strawberry marmalade. I figured you'd like that. It's still got some lumps of strawberry in it, but it'd better to put on the bread."

She'd go and butter up a half bun with the marmalade for Peal, so that she could try the jam out. She'd do the same for Piecey too, their caretakers preferred to do that themselves. Hopefully they would enjoy it, as she had forgotten to take new fruit pieces with her today, and the ones she had stashed here already, were meant for their snacks while the others were at school. Had to make sure they were fed, so they'd grow up nice and healthy.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Null)

On 2024-01-20 at 2:18 PM, Blitz Boom said:

And yes, I told him the truth to his answers, after his first warning shot made it clear what would happen, if we attempted to lie to him."

"You're lucky to be alive. You are the first to actually survive disappearing when he is involved."

She turned her attention towards Null, "I expect you had something to do with that."

Soon as Grey Mare assured her that they were in a good spot, or that they could talk more freely here, she'd talk.

There was no one else in the lobby, and it seemed like she wanted a response sooner rather than later.

"We were gonna go look for you now actually. Mongoose spoke on his behalf, and it seems Ninja is open to make a deal, to partake in this bounty, and join The Grey. I debated on offering him more of mine, since I am thinking he'd be useful, but Mongoose and I believed it best to go to you directly, and see about making a deal proper. Can't have you thinking I'm just tossing all my responsibilities elsewhere, but I did think you'd want him in. Someone like that, outta be useful."

"Mongoose?"

Nine stretched out to interact with Grey's shadow, "Of King Wonder. So a different type from us."

Gray Mare nodded, one eye darkening, "I see, that would make him quite valuable to our cause, given he already has a shadow, and has been shown to be able to use it. His debt is quite substantial, but given he's turning himself in he'll receive the reward for himself. Hopefully that amount will satisfy him."

Nine seemed impressed by the unseen transfer of information.

"Offer him that in exchange for returning to the Grey and helping you in your efforts. Tell him I humbly request his help for other situations contingent on the success of this one. I think that should be quite satisfactory."

She turned to leave, motioning for the changelings to follow. "I'll need to borrow your helpers for a bit, they need to be properly checked before we can return them to duty."

(Hotel)

Arcade sighed, frustrated at being caught between the two mares that he cared for. "She'll be fine here, won't she? Or is the hotel not safe with all the changelings and staff inside? Besides, she should be asleep anyway. We should be out and back before she notices that we're gone."

He paced a bit. "She's safe here, but Null might not be, your friends too. But if you think it best, you stay here, and I'll go."

He wouldn't wait for an answer before leaving the room and heading outside in the hopes of catching a chip to get into the party with. Whether Mongoose followed or stayed behind was up to him.

(Void)

While the foals were initially confused with the presentation of the fruits, they were happy when they discovered that it tasted like what they thought, if not a bit sweeter given the process, and were happy to eat the food with help.

Once breakfast was done, the larger three would take their packed lunches and make their way to school.

(School)

They would arrive at the classroom to find a number of things had been pinned up on the walls, a set of posters that seemed to be from an old school set detailing the differences between different cultures present in Troy as it pertained to coming of age.

Miss Gypsum was pining up the poster on Diamond Dogs when the students entered, "Ah, welcome pups! This one was told that one has come of age. While all of you are ponies, this one thought it good-idea to share what the experience is like for other species who have something similar."

Around the room there was a poster for Ponies, Griffons, Camels, Changelings, Minotaur, Deer, Reindeer, Zebra, and Diamond Dogs.

Gypsum would motion to the desks, he tail waging excitedly, "Sit! Sit! Once all are present we will begin the lesson!" She seemed very proud of what she had planned.

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Null)

On 2024-01-22 at 12:36 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"You're lucky to be alive. You are the first to actually survive disappearing when he is involved."

She turned her attention towards Null, "I expect you had something to do with that."

She did not show it, but she shared the sentiment of Craven, who'd gulp as he heard that. Yet another reason on the pile of many others, to try and have as little to do with Ninja as possible. Who knew if they'd be lucky a second time?

On 2024-01-22 at 12:36 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Offer him that in exchange for returning to the Grey and helping you in your efforts. Tell him I humbly request his help for other situations contingent on the success of this one. I think that should be quite satisfactory."

She turned to leave, motioning for the changelings to follow. "I'll need to borrow your helpers for a bit, they need to be properly checked before we can return them to duty."

"As you wish. Guess it's time to go back to the ol' creep factory again. My heart's fluttering with excitement already."

The sarcasm was thick enough to be cut with a knife, but her dry humor and snark aside, Null would turn around and get back up to the party, where she'd lok out for Ninja. The faster this were sorted, the better. And this were a deal that he'd probably like, as it would be a hefty sum of time off that he'd get. Far more than she could offer. What Null would be given for this duty, were but a droplet in the ocean in comparison, it sounded like.

While she were looking though, she'd send a thought to Nine. There were something she were curious about.

"Hey Nine? Who's King Wonder? Another progenitor of creatures sorta like you, but not really? Sounded like someone important."

Meanwhile back with Grey Mare, Yannit and Craven would bow their heads at their order.

"Of course, Grey Mare."

They'd both await what she'd ask of them, as part of what sounded like a need to vet them for information, or potential illnesses or something, and if they had to follow elsewhere, she'd wander in front of Craven. It were her duty as the informal leader of their little trio, and Craven were all too happy to follow that. Things went much better, when there were structure and a simple hierarchy to follow. Of which Grey Mare were of course at the top of.

(Hotel)

"I... I..."

He'd gulp, not being happy about having to make the decision, but he'd have to, and... She were safe here, right? Arcade wouldn't be. He'd be out in the open. This place were safe, with other changelings and stuff everywhere, and she were in a closed of room..

"W-Wait for me."

So he'd scurry after Arcade, making their way towards The Host's little party tower. He considered telling Ardee, but it would probably just make her mad. maybe best to just et her have some peace. They wouldn't be long either.

After they had left though, someone else would step into the room. The off kitsune from earlier, who'd look utterly miserable, and his face showing signs that he had cried, as well as potentially hit himself in the head with something. He'd go tot he wall, and begin to use a toebean and some sort of flowery smelling pale liquid he had in an ink-stopper, to draw a series of symbols on it. The symbols wouldn't be visible for long after they were written, seemingly fading out, though the smell would linger. And al the while, he'd do these things in silence, and with a look of regret and hopelessness upon his pointy face.

(Void)

She'd make sure to wave them all off, as they were going off to school, and once they were done, she'd turn to her little darlings. It were them again now, having to find something to do, while the others were away. Which she certainly would, and she'd try to involve them too.

"So, your big sister is having a big, special day today. So I need to make the place look nice and pretty before they get home.

Wanna see the fun things we need to put around?"

She'd take them to one of the crates if they were interested, and pop it open to start by showing off a banner, with Ardee's symbol written on it, as well as the text "Happy Cutie Day, Ardee!". She wasn't sure if that were the right local term, but this were the one she'd go for, for the time being.

There'd also be various other things to go and shine the place up with. Nothing dangerous to them of course. She hadn't dared to bring something heavy of overly sharp, in case they would stumble over it. But there were some scavenged party items, cleaned and shined as best as they could be, There were also some fluff balls, toys, and snacks, as well as a few new games, etc. They'd likely prefer snacks and toys, but they could play with those too It gave some charm to have that around, in her mind.

They'd have plenty to work with over the next hours before school were out, but she were looking forward to it. Tired or not, she felt hyped, and full of pep.

(School)

About two minutes after Gypsum had asked, Cherish would come into the room, panting slightly.

"Sorry I'm late, Miss Gypsum. Time just ran away from me."

She had helped Crow set up some things yesterday, after talking her into the book deal, and she had gotten so hyped up about that, and the thoughts about what to do from there, and Ardee's cutie mark, that she hadn't been able to sleep at first.

Thankfully she were here now, and as she looked around, she were getting the feeling that this meant they were gonna have a lesson today about some sort of cultural thing? Maybe it were related to cutie marks? *gasp* Ardee were showing it off properly now! That meant it were okay to talk about it.

She'd get a big grin on her face, and get closer to Ardee.

"I like your new look. It shows off your mark nicely."

She'd scurry to her seat a little after that, but she still anted to say something nice to Ardee. She had a special day yesterday after all. And would have eventually again, when it were celebrated.

Their lunches had some celebration in it already, when they'd check later. Void had put a protein bar in each of their lunches today. Except for Elef, where he'd find a bundle about the same size, of Dune Fox jerky. She wasn't sure if this would be okay, but she were trying to provide something meaty for him, but she couldn't just put something living in his lunch. That'd be weird. As were this a little bit, but the griffon she had bought them from, said they were a good snack for meat eaters. She'd take her word for it, and apologize if she were mislead.

@Blitz Boom

(Changelings)

On 2024-01-23 at 4:48 PM, Blitz Boom said:

Who knew if they'd be lucky a second time?

Grey Mare led them out the back door of the Stacked Deck so they could return to the judgement hall without being seen from the plaza, entering the citadel of retribution from a disguised portion of the wall.

Once they were in a private room Grey sat across a desk from Yannit, "Your blindfold was swapped. I think Ninja wanted more direct access to our information, which makes it all the more important that we bring him in sooner rather than later. We'll need to get you a new one before we send you back out, but that won't take long."

She leaned forward, "Tell me, did you see anything suspicious about Vengeance Pointer or her companions? Do you think she can be trusted to keep you and other agents safe?"

(Null)

While she were looking though, she'd send a thought to Nine. There were something she were curious about.

"Hey Nine? Who's King Wonder? Another progenitor of creatures sorta like you, but not really? Sounded like someone important."

"Well, I think the best way to explain this is that shadow specters aren't really entities per-say, rather, an individual is made up of several smaller pieces forming a consciousness collectively. Typically one can grow more powerful, stronger, either through simple growth, or by absorbing and dominating other weaker specters. When a specter becomes sufficiently large they are considered a King. They spin off parts of themselves to form Knights, whose purpose is to serve and defend their King. I was spun off of a King who calls himself the Black Knight. Nibiru and Nemesis were also spun off of my King. While I am older than the both of them, I never had much opportunity to grow, so I am less powerful."

"Anyway, yes, King Wonder is a progenitor of creatures like me, as you say. His Knights are known for being very independent."

Returning to the party, it seemed to be ramping up, many creatures moving towards the dance floor. If Null wandered enough, she'd eventually find a small alcove where Ninja was waiting for her. As she was looking for him, he would be able to see her and would motion for her to join him.

He didn't take her to the room this time, instead electing to keep watch over the ponies passing without noticing either of them.

"You're back sooner than expected. I assume you met Grey Mare in the lobby? We couldn't see her, but you did stop in the lobby then come right back. So it's not hard to assume she was there but hidden."

"So, did she come back with an offer?"

(Plaza)

Mongoose would catch up to Arcade in the crowd. It seemed they were right on time too, as a number of chips began to rain from above as though they had been tossed from the top of the tower. They did slow as though passing through a barrier just a bit above the crowd, so as to not injure anyone they would hit. But Arcade was quick enough to nab a chip that another member of the crowd did not hold onto very tightly. By the time they noticed it was missing, Arcade was already moving towards the door to enter the Stacked Deck.

(Hotel)

The symbols wouldn't be visible for long after they were written, seemingly fading out, though the smell would linger. And al the while, he'd do these things in silence, and with a look of regret and hopelessness upon his pointy face.

Ardee had intended to enter their room, find it empty, and lament to no one that she had been left behind.

But, seeing that the room was not empty, she immediately drew her bow, lodging an arrow in the wall next to the kitsune's paw. A second arrow already knocked as she spoke, "Best if you left."

Before the kitsune could leave though, another entered the scene, the pegasus from before standing in the door, "One of Basher's minions no doubt. What, setting a trap for them to return to?"

He would turn to call down the hallway to the staff, "Help! Someone's broken into one of the rooms!"

(Void)

(You swapped Ardee and Toupé both here and below)

The foals were curious as to the boxes, and would try to touch whatever new thing came into reach, but the would stop if they were told not to, content to watch as Void set up the decorations.

Though she would have to deal with at least one case of Piecey pulling down one of the decorations with her magic, as well as one case of Peal hovering a short distance off the ground trying to jump high enough to see the hung decorations.

(School)

"Sorry I'm late, Miss Gypsum. Time just ran away from me."

She nodded, "Try not to be making this a habit, yes?"

"I like your new look. It shows off your mark nicely."

Toupé smiled and turned to look at it again, "Yeah, it just seemed... right? I don't know." she shrugged, "I guess it's part of getting it? That you see yourself differently?"

(You'll have to remind me about their lunches at lunch time)

Once everyone was seated Gypsum would begin the lesson proper, "Welcome, welcome, we will begin the lesson now." She motioned to the posters around the room, "As this one was saying to those here before, today the lesson will be on how it-is to come-of-age for other species. This one hopes that you will see what-is same, and what-is different. Each of you will pick a poster to learn from, then all will share what they learned with the class."

She moved to stand in front of the pony poster, blocking it as an option, "You may choose now, try to pick different things, not just one you already know."

(Cherish can have first pick, or you can have others take ideas from her if there is one you want to know more about, but don't think she would be interested in. I'll fill in who beats her to which poster if you choose that route.)

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Changelings)

So her blindfold had been swapped then? What an annoying individual Ninja were, to do such a thing. Skilled too unfortunately, as she hadn't the faintest clue it had been swapped, and she tended to be aware of details, so this were stinging a little to be honest. Sadly there were little she could do about that fact, except act upon it by relinquishing her facewear, and wait to gain a new one.

"She keeps thinking that she can get everyone out of this alive, so she divert her earnings to simple guard duty, and seclude those she knows away, whilst also giving us orders to stay out of the main fight. I get the feeling she does not want to see any of us killed, but she's clearly short tempered, pardon my choice of words, so I think in the heat of the moment, she might well forget there is anyone else there, beyond those she feels a strong connection to. I'd worry about those she have there only on loan as it were, like us.

As for those she came with... There is something odd about Arcade, but I can't place my hoof on it exactly. He is obviously protective of Pointer though, so he is predictable. Ardee seems angry and curious. I'm assuming someone who haven't been around much, and are annoyed she were being held in their room. They should be safely at the hotel still, along with Mongoose.

I don't see them having ulterior motives currently, but they're a team. They will look out for one another first and foremost. I assume this to be her second reason for hiring protection for them. Easier to not being made to chose, if they are not with her.

If you require it, they can likely be subdued."

================================================================================

(Null)

On 2024-01-25 at 4:36 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Well, I think the best way to explain this is that shadow specters aren't really entities per-say, rather, an individual is made up of several smaller pieces forming a consciousness collectively. Typically one can grow more powerful, stronger, either through simple growth, or by absorbing and dominating other weaker specters. When a specter becomes sufficiently large they are considered a King. They spin off parts of themselves to form Knights, whose purpose is to serve and defend their King. I was spun off of a King who calls himself the Black Knight. Nibiru and Nemesis were also spun off of my King. While I am older than the both of them, I never had much opportunity to grow, so I am less powerful."

"Anyway, yes, King Wonder is a progenitor of creatures like me, as you say. His Knights are known for being very independent."

"Huh, you learn something new every day. Sounds like a sort of evolving hivemind almost, but more clandestine. Hadn't expected that sort of thing were your origin though. Nor that you were the oldest of them.

...How's King Black Knight then? You say those from Wonder are very independent. You've at least seemed to be that too, for a lot of the time I've known you. Especially at the start. Can't say I know enough about Nemesis or Nibiru to say anything 'bout them, but they seem very duty focused. Are you bunch more of a rigid set of knights?"

Honestly, it wasn't like she cared much to learn about things all the time, but this seemed honestly interesting. She'd been around most of the world, and seen plenty, but this? This were something new, that she hadn't heard of before. Even the closest thing she could think of it being like, were more of a fleeting resemblance honestly.

"You're back sooner than expected. I assume you met Grey Mare in the lobby? We couldn't see her, but you did stop in the lobby then come right back. So it's not hard to assume she was there but hidden."

"So, did she come back with an offer?"

Wouldn't be hard finding Ninja, but she hadn't assumed it would be either. He'd be waiting, and would make a way to make himself noted, when he felt like it. Seemed the sort, y'know? And rightly so, he were in a small alcove, ready for her return, though one that were faster than expected. She didn't even have to say why, as he guessed so right away, though what else would the reason be? She'd decide to just pretend to have talked to Grey Mare? That wouldn't work.

"Yeah, she gave an offer. One that's better than I'd have been able to gather up myself.

She said and I quote: Grey Mare humbly request your help for other situations, contingent on the success of this one. And in exchange for that, and rejoining The Grey, you will receive the bounty on yourself.

Personally I dunno how large that is, since I ain't familiar with this whole system yet, but I doubt it's anything small, and you said you wanted Ninja to work the debt off. I'd say getting his own bounty is gonna be everything you hoped for, and then some."

Might not be, but come on. It would essentially give him a clean slate, and Ninja would need that. He probably had like, full on millennia of debt to work off otherwise. This here were a hugely favorable deal to him, and far more than the measly decades she could have offered.

(Hotel)

"Best if you left."

"I wish I had that choice..."

His tone were sad, and he would continue to paint with his paw. He were almost done it seemed, though whatever it were, he seemed none too pleased about it. Perhaps he were being forced to do this by someone? Hard to tell, but it wasn't as if things would get simpler anytime soon, as they would get another guest, that would take this from being a simple one on one, to a matter for hotel security, and these two, against the odd kitsune.

Before the kitsune could leave though, another entered the scene, the pegasus from before standing in the door, "One of Basher's minions no doubt. What, setting a trap for them to return to?"

He would turn to call down the hallway to the staff, "Help! Someone's broken into one of the rooms!"

The movement would come from the hallway soon, as the word would be heard by one of the maids, that would send word for the hotel security right away. All the while, the kitsune would halt his paw for a moment, then continue faster, holding the other in front of his forehead and whimpering.

"P-Please don't. It's not a trap. I'd n-never. He told me to place this ward to stop, to... N-No, I can't tell you. He... He wouldn't let me. He'd silence the w-words before they left me."

He'd continue to do this, frantically attempting to finish in time, which he'd just need another fifteen seconds or so to do. And he'd continue to try, even if he were attempted tackled, or had more arrows shot towards him. Attempted being the word, as in either case, strong wind would rush around him, and either deflect the arrow(s), or toss away whoever tried getting to him.

They could try restraining him with magic, but they were not magic users. It wouldn't work, and when he were all said and done, the whole thing would blink once, in a golden hue, then vanish from sight fully.

He'd drop the container after that, with the whole thing sitting on the floor now, a little liquid still left if needed, though he made no motion to pick it up. He'd just turn around, looking towards Ardee (and the griffon, if he had returned), with fear and deep concern in his eyes.

"He sees you, and m-moves his paw. I... I'm s-sorry."

He'd dash towards his room, and if he got there, would be gone before security could come within the next few minutes, without a trace. Though the belongings left behind, might provide some degree of clue as to what were going on with this one. Or they could try and apprehend him in some fashion, that wasn't stopped with harsh wind.

(Void)

(whoopsie)

The foals were curious as to the boxes, and would try to touch whatever new thing came into reach, but the would stop if they were told not to, content to watch as Void set up the decorations.

Though she would have to deal with at least one case of Piecey pulling down one of the decorations with her magic, as well as one case of Peal hovering a short distance off the ground trying to jump high enough to see the hung decorations.

Void would laugh as she saw Piecey get a bit of the decorations down. It were nothing dangerous - she hadn't dared, due to these two precious fillies - and could get up again. She just thought it was nice to see the energetic little thing keep practicing her magic. It were good that she were keep trying to push that, and learn.

"You're curious, aren't you? Come on then, have a better look you rascals."

She'd make sure they got to see the decorations closer, and would pick them up and let them wander on her back and head if they so wished, so they could see things up nice and close, as she hung them up. In this case, the tinsel and flower circle that she were hanging up, and as were the case for the latter, had been pulled down by Piecey.

(School)

She nodded, "Try not to be making this a habit, yes?"

"I promise, Miss Gypsum."

She'd be late some other time more than likely, but she'd make sure it were going to be a while before it happened again.

Toupé smiled and turned to look at it again, "Yeah, it just seemed... right? I don't know." she shrugged, "I guess it's part of getting it? That you see yourself differently?"

"Yup, that's how they said back in school too. I remember-"

Her face would fall for a brief second, before she'd shake it off, and return to being all smiles and joy.

"Old friend I remember, who went from well covered to much more open and showing it around. It's a big matter for lots of foals. I changed my tail and mane style after I got mine."

She moved to stand in front of the pony poster, blocking it as an option, "You may choose now, try to pick different things, not just one you already know."

Cherish would put her hoof off, wanting to make a choice. It was a shame there wasn't dragon, but that were okay. She saw several others she were curious about.

"Can I pick Camel? Meeting Miss Sandscroll makes me wonder what it's like for camels."

@Blitz Boom

(Changelings)

Gray Mare looked thoughtful, but shook her head. "That won't be necessary. Those two are owed quite the debt, it would be wise not to increase it if possible."

She continued, "Your report matches our suspicions. Remember that you are not expected to die for her, and the only thing you lose by abandoning your post is your portion of the reward. If you think things are too dangerous, I'd rather have you alive. For some of you, dying won't be enough to clear your debts."

Another member of the grey entered the room, set a new blindfold on the table, and left without a word. Gray Mare straightened it on the table to reveal it had no hole in it. She motioned towards Yannit, "If you would?"

She had the feeling she was meant to cut the eye hole herself.

(Null)

3 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

...How's King Black Knight then? You say those from Wonder are very independent. You've at least seemed to be that too, for a lot of the time I've known you. Especially at the start. Can't say I know enough about Nemesis or Nibiru to say anything 'bout them, but they seem very duty focused. Are you bunch more of a rigid set of knights?"

"My King has instilled in us a rigid sense of duty, as you say, making us prime candidates to serve Vengeance. While I may question your orders and act out of turn on occasion, I will follow your commands as you give them, so long as they do not threaten my own life."

3 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

"Yeah, she gave an offer. One that's better than I'd have been able to gather up myself.

She said and I quote: Grey Mare humbly request your help for other situations, contingent on the success of this one. And in exchange for that, and rejoining The Grey, you will receive the bounty on yourself.

Personally I dunno how large that is, since I ain't familiar with this whole system yet, but I doubt it's anything small, and you said you wanted Ninja to work the debt off. I'd say getting his own bounty is gonna be everything you hoped for, and then some."

"She additionally sent along the total, and the remainder, for his review."

"Good. One moment while I discuss it with him."

It was silent for a bit, a few stray emotions crossing Briar's face, but otherwise there was no indication that he was speaking to a voice in his head.

After what may have felt like an eternity, he nodded.

"Woo! He agrees. I'm looking forward to working with you and the Grey in the near future. Now then, what's the plan? Your target isn't presently in or around the tower, nor has he been for some time. It's been about a week since he was last near enough for us to detect him. Would you like us to start searching the city for him?"

(Plaza)

(You missed this one, but I'll assume Mongoose didn't have anything to say.)

Quickly Arcade entered the building, then the elevator, and was on his way up to the party with or without Mongoose.

(Hotel)

Ardee would try again, only for her arrow to be deflected, at which point the pegasus would call out to her, "Leave through your room, I'll get you somewhere safe."

She nodded and retreated back the way she came, exiting to the hallway before leaving with the pegasus towards the roof access, as it was the opposite direction from where the kitsune and his room were.

If the kitsune were attempted to be apprehended, it would be at the hooves of the staff. But in any case, Ardee was now gone.

Some staff would see her continue to the roof, where the pegasus would encourage her to jump off and fly away, but she would refuse. They couldn't hear what exactly he said to her, but she did a rough glide down to the ground before continuing to follow the pegasus away from the hotel.

(I'm debating writing out her POV while you have no characters in range, what do you think?)

(School)

(I meant for them to go to the posters they were interested in, but I guess I wasn't clear.)

Cherish would be able to make it to the camel poster first, while the other students spread around the room. Elef chose the changeling poster, Toupé choose the deer poster, Teal chose the Zebra poster, Lilac chose the Diamond Dog poster, and Nova took the Minotaur poster.

Once they had all chosen a poster, Gypsum nodded, "Good, now, all will study their posters, and will prepare to share what they learned yes? Do-ask if you need help."

The posters all served to compare to the pony baseline, making comparisons to ponies whenever applicable. So for the camels:

The poster started by saying that, unlike ponies, camels did not have marks, at least, not visible ones. Instead, a camel's mark appeared as an imprint in the sand beneath them while they rested, and was revealed when they rose to travel again. The images for camels bore resemblances to the zebra marks, made mostly of swooping lines, but often did not resemble anything in particular.

When a young camel first discovers that they have left a mark, they are presented to the group's sand speaker, which is their term for their historian, to perform the reading and writing ritual.

A tent is erected, and the young camel sits within it so that their mark is formed. Then the young camel replicates their mark in a larger form in the sand. The sand speaker then enters to read the mark, explaining privately to the young camel what it means. Then the young camel is tasked with writing, filling the spaces between the lines of their mark with their understanding of it, and their hopes for the future.

Once they are done, the tent is removed, allowing the wind to reclaim the sand and the writing. They do this to symbolize that they will one day return to the sands, but also that the sands hold all their secrets, will keep them safe, and will help them to achieve their desires now that they are known.

Gypsum gave everyone half an hour to study their posters before speaking up, "Alright, everyone return to their seats yes? All have understood their posters?"

(I'll let cherish react privately and plan her presentation in your next post, but I'll have her present fourth, so in my next post I'll give the three preceding presentations.)

• Hugs 1

@Illiad Easle

(Changelings)

"I assure you that I do not intend on dying so easily. I have debt to pay off, before I can face the inevitable."

She'd accept the wear, yet noticed that it did not have a hole to watch through. A bit of work to go with this it seemed. Very well.

She'd use her magic to cut a suitable hole in it to look through, though if she were corrected or it did not work, as she were expected to use the knife, she'd correct course and just use the magic to hold the blindfold, as she cut a new hole to see through. Either way, she would get this one perforated and ready, then put it on once done. They still had work to do, and she couldn't simply sit about and dally while she were on the clock.

"Anything else you would want from us, Grey Mare?"

================================================================================

(Null)

On 2024-01-31 at 3:38 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"My King has instilled in us a rigid sense of duty, as you say, making us prime candidates to serve Vengeance. While I may question your orders and act out of turn on occasion, I will follow your commands as you give them, so long as they do not threaten my own life."

"Seems reasonable. I'd probably do the same if I were in your position."

Being noble and fighting for a cause was all fine and cute, but in the end, you had to make sure that if you laid down your life, it were for someone, or something, that you believed were worth dying for. For her it were her family, but beyond that? She'd make the effort, but push come to shove, she'd be hightailing it out of there to fight another day. So she understood the position that Nine were in, regarding this whole thing. Though ideally, none of them were gonna die anytime soon.

After what may have felt like an eternity, he nodded.

"Woo! He agrees. I'm looking forward to working with you and the Grey in the near future. Now then, what's the plan? Your target isn't presently in or around the tower, nor has he been for some time. It's been about a week since he was last near enough for us to detect him. Would you like us to start searching the city for him?"

Here came the dealing phase then... She'd admit, as she were waiting for Briar to mull this over in apparent silence - she assumed he were evaluating things along with Mongoose - it did feel a little tense, and her heart rate did go up a little. What would he say to this whole thing? It were a good deal. Probably the best he'd get, but if he were too proud, then what might come of it? Would he decline out of spite? Out of principle? Wouldn't he return, unless Grey Mare herself would grovel before his hooves?

Thankfully it seemed the answer to that were just that she were paranoid. He agreed, and by the sound of it, Mongoose were thrilled.

"Good that we have that sorted then. I thought he'd be here, with the gathering before... Hmm, might've been a distraction event then. Makes me wonder if he has some other target in mind, and we've just all been roped along to this place.

If you'd please go look for him, that'd be good, yeah. We need to figure out his next move, and intercept him before that. If you see a chance to grab him that's too good to pass, remember to try and get him in alive, alright? Grey Mare were specific on that. She wants him and his goons in the ranks, and that'll just get harder to do if he's dead."

In case Nine wondered why she asked nicely, it were because with The Grey now or not, Briar were dangerous, and she didn't think it wise to try and just give him a flat out order.

(Plaza)

(Sorry, forgot)

Mongoose hadn't a lot to do prior to this. Arcade did well in snatching up a token, while he grabbed one that someone else almost got. A close call between them, and the pony looked sad that they hadn't gotten it, but he promised them that he were just there to look for some friends, and afterwards, she could have his token. Wouldn't be long.

And he intended to keep his word. Parties and such weren't something he much cared for, and he were just here to look. The pony didn't seem convinced, but would wait around for now, while he staggered to keep up with Arcade. The stallion might be small, but he were fast when he were driven.

He should be able to get upstairs not too long after Arcade would, and then look around after his friends, and Vengeance Pointer. The latter would probably not be happy they were here, but uhm.... A-Actually, he'd just let Arcade deal with that probably. She'd be more lenient with him.

(Hotel)

Not too far from where she landed, on an opposite roof, the kitsune would look down upon her, and the one leading her away.

"I don't like this... Y-Yes, I know what you say, but what if- N-No, I'm not arguing. It just feels wrong. I could h-help.

...N-No, I understand. It isn't... T-That isn't for me to stop. Are you sure I shouldn't..."

He'd close his eyes, seeming like he were in pain for a moment.

"Sorry, sorry. I just... I still don't u-understand why you want me to know all t-these things, but not try and make things better. It- No, I heard you b-before, but it still doesn't seem right.

...Least we agree on that, I guess."

He wouldn't like it, but he'd simply look, as Ardee took off on her own path. How he wished he could interject, but that... It wasn't his role. Maybe someday he'd be able to accept that, but not now. Now he just felt miserable, with a sinking feeling in his chest, as he sent a last glance towards the escaping mare. Hopefully she'd be able to weather the coming storm.

(Yes, go for her POV if you'd like)

(School)

Cherish were highly curious as she read on what the camel's traditions around this were. It seemed so magical in nature, which well, it were obviously, but she meant more like a fantasy tale. Resting in the sand, with the mark forming below you, sounded so cool. She liked the way it were for ponies, as it wasn't like they slept in sand often, yet it made sense for camels. More subtle, but still fascinating and mystical.

She'd read it over three times, and start making notes from the second time. It made her mind rummage, and this seemed like the sort of thing where they had to make a presentation, or at least hoof over a written thing, and that had to be her own words, not just her copying letter for letter what she had just read.

When everything were said and done, and it were time to present, she'd be ready at her table, with a few pages written of notes and her general own words on this.

Gypsum gave everyone half an hour to study their posters before speaking up, "Alright, everyone return to their seats yes? All have understood their posters?"

"Yes Miss Gypsum."

She'd get to her seat, and look spry and excited. It had been so long since she had to do a presentation like this, and- No, not thinking about that right now. Had to focus on this, and not think back. Nothing good came for that, and she wouldn't do well, if she suddenly broke down crying. Which she thankfully hadn't done in school so far, but she had felt it being close a few times by now. Best to try and not risk things, much as her mind might try and voluntarily go back there sometimes. That sorta thing were best kept to when she were at home, and her mom could help her through things. Or with Crow, though the dragon didn't know what to say or do there. So she tended to just hold Cherish, and let her cry and babble. Her silent, strong embrace really helped at times, as she needed to just let it out. It were nice having a non-judgmental friend like her.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

(Changelings)

On 2024-02-05 at 3:43 PM, Blitz Boom said:

if she were corrected or it did not work, as she were expected to use the knife, she'd correct course and just use the magic to hold the blindfold, as she cut a new hole to see through.

Indeed, she'd find the blindfold resisted her efforts to damage it without the knife, and once the knife made contact with the blindfold it jerked in her grip, cutting a rough hole in it similar to the previous one.

"Anything else you would want from us, Grey Mare?"

Grey Mare shook her head, "Try not to get abducted again. Best if you waited elsewhere for Vengeance Pointer to return. I get the feeling that Briar does not appreciate others on his turf."

Once they were outside again, they would see the Grey announcement that they had been recovered alive.

(Null)

If you'd please go look for him, that'd be good, yeah. We need to figure out his next move, and intercept him before that. If you see a chance to grab him that's too good to pass, remember to try and get him in alive, alright? Grey Mare were specific on that. She wants him and his goons in the ranks, and that'll just get harder to do if he's dead."

There was a delay of a few seconds as Mongoose relayed the info to Briar, but after a moment he nodded, before falling backwards into the shadows and disappearing from view, leaving Null alone in the brightly lit alcove, just in time for her to see Arcade and the Changeling Mongoose enter the party.

"That... is not good."

(Mongoose)

They would just be arriving at the party when Mongoose got the announcement in his blindfold that the other two changelings had been recovered alive.

(Hotel)

(There would likely be some sort of investigation by the staff as to what happened in the room after someone called out about a break in right? You don't have to set it up now, but I imagine Null and Arcade are headed straight there now, and if you want any staff or Bling to be there when they arrive now would be the time to prepare.)

(Ardee)

She hadn't wanted to leave the room, but seeing what she saw, a second kitsune having broken in and drawing strange symbols, she wasn't about to stay behind and find out what they did when she couldn't shoot him.

She did leave a quick note, a symbol really, from her days in the abandoned facility. It wouldn't mean anything to anyone else, but it would tell Arcade that the area was dangerous, and she had left for her safety.

Then she would follow the pegasus out onto the roof.

She hadn't wanted to fly down, but it was either that or risk a second encounter with the strange kitsune. And she had learned from the facility that you NEVER doubled back if you could avoid it. So with great strain she glided down after the pegasus to continue on the ground.

They stopped running after a short while, a dimly lit but quiet room entered from a hidden door where the pegasus caught his breath, "Whew, haven't run like that in a long while. I'm getting too old for this."

Now that she looked at him, he did seem a bit older than she remembered him being the last time she saw him. "So, what now? Are we safe here?"

The pegasus nodded, "For now, with that kitsune, or Basher, after you, we'll probably have to move again soon. But you can rest here for a bit. I'll keep watch."

She wasn't sure about that, but she would pretend to sleep, to see what might happen.

(School)

Once everyone was back in their seats and indicated they were ready, Gypsum nodded with a smile, "Good! Now, each one will-share what they-learned. No need to-share much, just what you like, yes?"

She pointed to Elef, who stood a bit from his desk, "Um... I learned that changelings make their own marks, sometimes they copy one that a previous changeling had, to remember them, I think that is cool."

She pointed to Toupé next, "Deer don't have marks like ponies, and they have different magic based on if they're a filly or a colt, for colts they grow antlers, which is like a horn, and they cast a spell that tells them their talent. For fillies they get to see the future I think? It wasn't very clear."

She pointed at Teal, "Zebra get marks like ponies do, but their marks are more abstract than a pony mark and can change over time. When they get their mark they visit a shaman to help them understand what their mark means."

Next, she pointed at Cherish.