• The Cutie Map
    • The Crystalling
    • Celestial Advice
    • All Bottled Up
    • School Daze
    • The Beginning of the End

(edited)

"The Crystalling!"

I like how it blends slice-of-life elements with a bigger adventure story, and especially how its first half is focused primarily on hijinks and low-key character moments. It's still one of my favourite Starlight Glimmer episodes, because it emphasizes her insecurity without forcing her into the spotlight, and it's a great introduction for Sunburst, whose difficulties with school are probably one of the more mature themes this show has introduced. And I could watch Cadance and Shining Armour struggle with parenthood forever. It's lean enough to let the characters' issues take centre stage, but it's also clever enough to be a fun adventure even in the absence of a proper villain. It's lighthearted and comedic while still taking its characters' emotions seriously. The season 2 and season 5 premieres are both a lot of fun, but they're not substantial in the same way. Here, we see someone who failed at one thing succeeding at something else; everyone has their place, and even a failure can become a hero. I think it is among the most underrated episodes of the show. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, RulesofRarity said:

Unpopular opinion but TCE. Major props for Shining Armor and Princess Cadence actually doing something while Princess Celestia/Luna(who were fully capable of defeating Sombra did nothing).

Didn't Celestia and Luna wanted Twilight to solve the issue as a test? Even Celestia told Luna to trust her on it.

19 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

Didn't Celestia and Luna wanted Twilight to solve the issue as a test? Even Celestia told Luna to trust her on it.

Yes it was a test but it was ballsy to risk the whole TCE on a test.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda torn between the premiers for season 3, 5, 8, and 9, but if I have to choose one without any bias (looking at you Sombra), it would be season 5's "The Cutie Map." Between the extremely well set-up conflict, competent villain, a non-annoying Pinkie, and helpful background characters, it really feels like the most complete and well thought out season beginner.

On 2022-06-18 at 11:42 AM, Savygriffs said:

My  favorite is School Daze..

Shush....

This is valid. <3