Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The G5 Episode Structure

FlareGun45

(There's no G5 section yet, so I'm posting it here)

So I was talking to someone on a Equestria Daily Nightly Discussion about how the G5 episode structure would work, and I said it would be nice if we had a structure like Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series (the newer one). By that I mean, we could have 1-parter episodes with one particular story, but other bigger stories could consist of 2-parters, 3-parters, even 4-parters, right in the middle of the season, and not just the beginning and end! 

Each of those parters could have a specific story arc, or just a section of a larger story arc, with all the episodes being direct continuations of eachother - with each having it's own moral and specific smaller story to the larger story. I know in FIM we somewhat had continuing stories that were ongoing as the seasons progress, but never had we had parters right in the middle of the season one after the other!

I'm really hoping G5 is much more adventure-based instead of simple slice of life stories, cause perhaps G5 could do better than G4 this way, if of course the audience is more into adventure-based stories. And having ongoing stories in multiple episodes is probably the best way to fulfill story arcs without feeling rushed! 

Like, think of the MLP comic series that released multiple issues at once. Of course there'll be pacing problems still if the writers aren't careful, but the pacings might not be so much of an issue as long as they have each episode within the story arc planned very well - and whatever they can't cover, they could always come back to this arc next season with a moderate time-lapse in between for breathing room!

I'm not sure if you understood this completely, I'll do my best to explain in the comments if you're confused. So what do you think of a structure like this?

• Brohoof 3

I'd love an MLP series inspired by Avatar: The Last Airbender, focused on the adventures of a tight-knit group of characters across season-long arcs with plenty of self-contained stories that are nonetheless meaningful in the context of the overall arc and help move that plot forward in some way.

There doesn't necessarily have to be as concrete of a goal at the end of the series... every episode of ATLA is one step closer to the inevitable fight with Fire Lord Ozai when Sozin's Comet returns, and it's up to Aang to learn waterbending, earthbending, and firebending by that time.

MLP could go with the Legend of Korra route instead, in which the series is more about the protagonist's personal growth over each arc instead of their quest to become strong enough to defeat one powerful enemy. Korra is still very much adventure-based, it just has multiple well-defined arcs rather than arcs that kind of bleed together and come together to make one big series-long storyline. MLP: FiM is somewhat closer to this, with defined arcs like prep for the Gala, Twilight dealing with being an alicorn, the Pillars, the School of Friendship, and the Legion of Doom. But I'd love to see something more focused on adventure like Korra and ATLA are, with serialized storytelling.

• Brohoof 1

I would like at least half of a season to be continuation of the season's main plot (first and last episodes). If it is an adventure or not doesn't matter. Then a few could be random character fun episodes, and maybe a few completely unrelated to the season. Basically FIM, but with more episodes like "Frenemies".

But when you take it too far, and you just are waiting for the next episode to get one more step into the adventure, it just becomes a long long wait. I am not sure if I want that. Maybe I will change my mind when G5 comes out.

• Brohoof 3

With that concept Season 1 could focus on giving each of the Mane their own introduction individual story arcs. Season 1 finale arc has them meet and work together for the first time. That way their friendship isn't rushed like FIM.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

I suppose it could work that way, but it would depend on how well it is implemented. Episode structures aren't formulas for success, what they contain and how well they are implemented are key factors that also affect the overall quality of the show.

Anyways, I personally think it would be a good idea to deviate from FiM's episode structure. I feel like the developers are trying to copy some aspects of FiM because of its success, but I do not want g5 to seem like a reboot of g4; rather, I want it to have unique aspects, like a different episode structure such as the one mentioned in the OP.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Singe said:

With that concept Season 1 could focus on giving each of the Mane their own introduction individual story arcs. Season 1 finale arc has them meet and work together for the first time. That way their friendship isn't rushed like FIM.

The truth is that I would also choose individual arcs for each main character (I just hope they are not 6) and then their stories are intertwined but without leaving the growth line of each character.