Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted Daring Do and the staff of spring

Lord Valtasar

DARING DO
and the
STAFF OF SPRING

It's funny, Daring thought, how often i get caught, and thrown into prison considering my reputation.
  The guards looked at one another and laughed, slamming the cell door shut with a clang. Daring Do stood and dusted herself off with her wings, wincing a bit from the pain of her left one, it would be out of commission for a while, through the bars she could see the three guards go through her saddlebags.
  One of them noticed her watching. He was an earth pony, taller than most and had an unkept beard. His coat was a brownish gray, though it could be that he was just unwashed for too long, hiding a different color underneath.
  Unkept guards, Daring thought, in any other city guards would have been pristine, they might aswel be since they were mostly decorative, but this was not just any city, this was Klugetown where being a guard was a synonym to being a henchpony.
  The pony guard came closer to her cage, leaving his abyssinian friends to sort out her belongings "they say you're pretty tough" the muddy pony said sizing her up.
  Daring Do didn't respond.
  "word on the street is you went into Verko's place alone and came out with something of his" he glanced over at her saddlebags. "You don't look so tough to me. Either way you should have known better than to steal from Verko but since he's after you i don't see the harm in getting the stuff. Now you'll spend the rest of your days locked up in here and even if you somehow get out, he'll get you"
  Daring turned away and examined her cage for any weak points, there was a pile of dirty hay that she wasn't sure if it was supposed to be her bed or her meal or both.
  "Are you ignoring me?" the guard asked trotting closer to the cage, the light caught the keys hanging from a chain around his neck and it glistened as if to taunt her. Daring calculated the odds and they weren't in her favor but that never stopped her before. She tested her wing and a jab of pain went through her, not yet.
  "Well well well.." said one of the abyssinians "what do we have here" they must have found the false bottom on her bags. Sure enough one of the cats pulled out something carefully wrapped in a white cloth. The pony guard turned his head to look as they unwrapped it to reveal one of the eight of Mage Meadowbrook's staffs. Not that these moots could tell what it was but it was very intricately carved and very obviously special, which in turn meant expensive.
  "Perhaps you actually did manage to steal from Verko" the guard said as he turned his attention back to her, but it was too late, this was her chance. One of her hooves connected with his ugly face while the other reached for the keys around his neck. The two cats were too busy examining the staff to react quickly so she was out and and running towards them before they had the chance to go for the cudgels hanging from their belts. The pony from behind her started regaining his composure. She had to make her escape right now. Daring sprang between the two abyssinians as they raised their weapons and grabbed the staff in her mouth. Heading towards the window, she closed her eyes and went through the glass.
  Some shards tore through her coat as if it was butter, but she's had worse. The problem was she didn't know how high the room was. Once she was sure there were no more shards around, Daring Do opened her eyes to find herself among some tall buildings, rapidly approaching one of the towers, if you could call them that. She clenched her jaw and bit harder on the staff, then opend her wings. Pain instantly stabbing her. There was no way she could maintain this long enough to reach the ground without passing out, so she chose one of the rooftops close to her but far enough from where she escaped and landed there, though crashing would be a more apt description. Klugetown was like a labyrinth with it's many twisted little alleyways. Daring could still hear the uproar from where she was kept, but it would take those goons quite some time to reach her through the ground, enough time for her to dissapear.
  Daring weaved her way to an abandoned cellar she used as her hiding place. Well that was easy, she thought and then passed out.

Author's note: this serves as a prologue and implies a bigger story, but i'm not sure if i'll ever write the whole thing

• Brohoof 1

Looking better~ :ithastolookpretty: As asked I shall give some pointers on continued efforts!

One of them noticed her watching. He was an earth pony, taller than most and had an ankept (unkempt?) beard. (new series of thoughts, new sentence.) His coat was a brownish gray, though it could be that he was just unwashed for too long, hiding a different color underneath.

I won't point out everything in the tale, but I chose this sentence in-particular because it's a good example of the two or three things you can find riddled here and there.

Consistent capitalization and periods to truly define the start and ends of your sentences I think is your biggest area of improvement, left. The rest, like sentence structure, etc, will improve gradually the more you write and the more feedback you get. Keep going boyo~ :oh_golly: