Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Steven Universe Thoughts [SPOILERS]

Stardust Live

I checked into Steven Universe after seeing all kinds of discussion about it and the whole roar about Pink Diamond, so I wanted to share some random thoughts after seeing a few episodes and having a discussion about plot points:

• I really didn't like the Rose Quarts is Pink Diamond twist. I liked that Rose was being made less an all forgiving mother type, as I was suspicious about that from the start, but this really is not a good twist at all.
  • I don't like Pink Diamond's design or character at all
  • I think it would have been better if Pink was either shown to be innocent and Rose was more grey in shattering her, in that yes she 'had' to do it to free the Earth, but she shattered someone who was barely even started as a Diamond and hadn't committed the same atrocities as Blue or Yellow or White
  • If we had to keep Pink as the petulant brat, I still think keeping Rose seperate would have been far better. It would make her more right in starting the war, but again, more grey in that Pink Diamond was clearly a tiny 'kid' of a Diamond. Rose would have been more right in that Pink was callous and dismissive and greedy for colonies
  • The twist with Pearl being ordered to keep silent was REALLY REALLY REALLY sketchy and makes Pearl's obsessive love for Rose even more creepy in hindsight, and looks less like a Pearl personally liberating herself with a friend and more Pink Diamond doing her thing and Pearl tagging along for being lovesick
  • I REALLY wonder if Pearl looks at what happened when White Diamond pulled out Steven's gem and remembers she almost did that in Three Gems and a Baby. That must make her stomach really turn
  • I would have given anything for Pink Diamond to reform when White Diamond removed Steven's gem. She formed Pink Diamond, then Rose Quartz, then Steven in rapid succession, but imagine the horror when she reforms as full Pink Diamond and sees what has happened due to her actions
  • I wonder if Pearl was so intent on protecting Rose Quartz not only out of sickly love, but also if Rose Quartz is 'poofed' she would momentarily take Pink Diamond's form and she can't let that happen
  • How does no-one recognises Steven's gem isn't a Rose Quartz when everyone seemingly recognises everyone elses' gem on sight???
  • I got the feeling the massive hole in Earth's map over Russia was supposed to reveal that Pink Diamond was MADE on Earth. I even thought maybe Rose shattered Pink the moment she emerged to stop even more Diamonds, hence the awe and terror and the Earth Pink Diamond held in the mural was a nod to where she was made
  • The Ball was so disappointing. I remember when the Diamonds were held up with majesty and awe. Where are their attendants, as Blue Zircon asked at The Trial when discussing Pink Diamond? The 'Court' is awfully small
  • I don't need to talk about how downgraded and rushed the Diamond's arcs are, it's so horrible
  • Blue Diamond cannot win against a handful of gems? Again, WHERE ARE HER ATTENDANTS?
  • The Diamonds hugging monster Steven was embarassing
  • Spinel is incredible. Her songs are perfect and she has a completely justified reason for hating Earth and Pink Diamond. I still don't like the 'rotate the gem to change who you are' thing
  • There was a theory that Amethyst was supposed to be a 'leader' type if she weren't undercooked, since her weapon is a whip same as Holly Blue Agate and Jasper is shown to be beifely frightened of it. I really like this theory
  • Did no one teach Amethyst to use her smaller size and incredible shapeshifting ability (she is super-skilled, even for a gem) for battle?
  • Steven Tag with Pearl shapeshifting for the first time was everything I wanted ... except Steven's horrible attitude. Ligthen up, Stevem
  • The theory that Steven WAS affected by the Rejuvinator (Spinel's scythe) because he reverted back to Pink's temper is honestly great and I believe it
  • I don't like the idea that people think the Steven and Greg fusion was 'inappropriate' since fusion has come to mean a sexual or romantic relationship for a lot of people. But there have been nessessity fusions (Mega Ruby in the flashback with Sapphire and Ruby) and there's been a fusion between Steven and Amethyst, who is pretty much depicted as Steven's older sister. I thought the point of Smokey Quartz was to show that fusion can be BFFs supporting each other?
  • Edit: Added onto that, Garnet was overtly hostile to the prospect if being in a romantic relationship with anyone else (that postman guy Jaime) so her fusions with Pearl and Amythyst, while the dances were kinda erotic, clearly weren't romantic or sexual.
  • I personally headcanon that Diamonds normally cannot fuse, hence they ban fusion for all but nessessary purposes. Pink Diamond didn't fuse with anyone as Pink Diamond, only as Rose Quartz
  • Why are Rose Quartz's fusions known as they are? We thought they were Rose Quartz and Pearl to make Rainbow Quartz, for example, but clearly she can't be unless she literally changed her Diamond structure to actually become a Rose Quartz in the moment

I know a lot of things will be due to show production problems, but that's just some thoughts I want to discuss and get ideas on

Edited by Stardust Live
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Steven Universe is one of my favourite shows! Though I can see why a lot of people dislike it for the many flaws that it does have. It's kinda funny as me and my friends have a lot of dicussions about Steven Universe and how a lot of it's messages are just... strange.

The main thing I dislike about Steven Universe out of everything is the Diamonds. They were always treated as these ruthless dictators that'll kill anyone in their way. That's how I saw them and even the idea of their existence was so intriguing and scary. Then they started singing...
I know that the show is meant to be a kids cheerful cartoon show but... it just ruins them. If Yellow Diamond stayed as Darth Vader then they'd of stayed the such interesting and threatening characters they seemed back when they were revealed. 
That's only one thing bad about them though. The fact they were redeemed is just wrong. The message is basically to forgive family members no matter what. I know Steven is still angry with them in Future and almost kills White Diamond (Good scene) but they shouldn't of been given any chances. Especially considering they became so annoying and pitiful when they were "redeemed". Everything they were hyped up to be was just forgotten and thrown in the trash. I don't even want to get started on how bad White Diamond is. Especially how cringy she is in Future.

"The Diamonds hugging monster Steven was embarassing" - FINALLY, someone else who thinks that! :Cozy:

"got the feeling the massive hole in Earth's map over Russia was supposed to reveal that Pink Diamond was MADE on Earth" - Nah. They did that as Russia likes to censor anything LGBT such as Ruby and Sapphire's relationship. They'd "censor" Ruby being a girl by giving her a mustache so their relationship was hetro xD (No I'm not joking), So they censored Russia. It's why during the wedding, Ruby is wearing a dress and Sapphire is wearing a suit.

19 hours ago, Codelyy said:

That's how I saw them and even the idea of their existence was so intriguing and scary. Then they started singing...

Yes, that is a good way to put it.

When we first heard about the diamonds, I was quite scared about them. It felt like, you would be killed on spot if you were seen by them.

Sadly, Steven's only real life threatening situation was fighting Bismuth which was intense! The show had a lot of potential but backed out of it too easily

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2020 at 12:16 AM, Splashee said:

I still haven't seen Steven Universe Future, meaning I can still get spoiled to this day. It bugs me that it is so hard to find :dry:

The title is marked 'spoilers', dude ...

I just hated the amount of potential wasted and I think Pink is Rose was a gigantic, absolutely catastrophic mistake that has so many plot holes in it. I wish it were more 'Rose killed a bratty baby diamond' or something similar rather than ... that