Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Argyle have the Earth Pony crystal?

Star_Quake

It's believed that Earth Ponies don't have any magic, they emphasize quite a lot (especially Sunny) how awesome it would be to have a friend that could fly, or have magic while neglecting their own abilities. While Argyle is re-telling Sunny the story of Twilight he says "Pretty neat, huh? Earth ponies watched in wonder as pegasi painted rainbows across the sky. The nights were lit up by a hundred unicorn horns." 

Zipp says "The Unicorns don't have any magic." Not mentioning Earth ponies, and Sprout says "And let them have magic? never!" Towards the end of the movie. Earth ponies still believe they have no magic. Which I know Unicorn, Pegasi and Earth pony magic are all different. It's unclear if Sunny believes Earth ponies do have magic considering they have a crystal, but you still have the end of the movie where (I'm assuming a filly) says "No using your magic." As they're running off into the sunset. 

Anyways, upstairs in Sunny's house there's a sticky note that says "MAGIC IS REAL." Which in my opinion, is an odd thing to write, but it could just be motivation for Sunny. As for her father, who literally has a mechanic consisting of the three crystals in his OWN home. It's obvious Argyle knows about these crystals, but why didn't he tell Sunny? Sunny kinda just assumed that the crystals would bring back magic, but it would've made more sense if she used her fathers research to come to that conclusion. 

My theory is maybe Argyle tried searching for these crystals to restore magic on his own, but like Sunny he didn't understand the meaning of friendship and failed. So he gave up and began studying about Twilight. Maybe Argyle had friends with a unicorn and pegasi but they eventually had to break apart (possibly for Sunny's sake) I doubt Argyle was around (maybe not even born) when Earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi were still friends, or when the crystals were made. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

Earth pony magic lies within their strength, like Applejack or Big Mac. Argyle hid the crystal because like all the other species, they thought it could "protect them from the others". 

I know that Earth ponies have magic, but in the movie Earth ponies didn't think they had any. I don't think Argyle hid the crystals to protect them from the others. If that were the case the ponies would honor their own crystals. But Queen Haven uses it as a piece of decoration, Alphabittle has it for decoration, and Argyle used it for Sunny's lamp. The crystals were kinda hidden in plain sight, and honestly could've been easily stolen. 

• Brohoof 1

34 minutes ago, Star_Quake said:

Alphabittle has it for decoration

And the previous owner (a collector of crystals) bet it in a game and lost.

This probably means that the knowledge about the significance of the crystals was lost - ponies just see them as just pretty crystals, with the possible exception of Queen Haven.

Argyle was a historian and had many historic artifacts, having the Earth pony crystal is not that strange. He probably even knew what it was. He may have bought it from someone or found it, well, similar to how he got the other artifacts. The crystal could also have been left in the lighthouse and Argyle found it when he bought it.

Earth ponies have magic, but it is not visible. Unicorn magic is obvious, pegasus magic less so (someone could think that flight does not require magic), but Earth pony magic is almost completely invisible. As far as I know, Earth pony magic makes them stronger and makes plants grow better. I guess after the magic returned, some Earth ponies will have an easier time lifting and pulling heavy objects, but they may not notice that. Earth pony farmers may find that their plants are in better shape than last year, but may think it's due to the weather or whatever.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

Argyle was a historian and had many historic artifacts, having the Earth pony crystal is not that strange. He probably even knew what it was. He may have bought it from someone or found it, well, similar to how he got the other artifacts. The crystal could also have been left in the lighthouse and Argyle found it when he bought it.

Earth ponies have magic, but it is not visible. Unicorn magic is obvious, pegasus magic less so (someone could think that flight does not require magic),

That's what I was thinking, but I figured since Argyle is a historian he would know about the ALL the crystals (and probably should've told Sunny about it)

I think the Earth ponies will be in a surprise when they realize they had lost their magic too.

6 minutes ago, Star_Quake said:

That's what I was thinking, but I figured since Argyle is a historian he would know about the ALL the crystals (and probably should've told Sunny about it)

Maybe the information was lost and everyone just though the crystals were a symbol, nothing more. Argyle may have not even known that this particular crystal is magical. 

It might not have been anything. But we're given so little to go on about how far along the trail Argyle was. I'm going to lean towards him NOT knowing about the crystals though, because what we got in the movie wasn't "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." Argyle surely would have told Sunny about the crystals if he knew about them, and would have wanted her to try and finish what he started. But she didn't even know what was in the lamp. As far as she knew it was just a night light that he built.

Also, that's far from the only magical thing that was in his keep. Check out the "WMD" just sitting in the corner. I rather doubt he'd even leave that out in the open if he knew what it was capable of.

Grogar's Bell | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir