Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did letter mails have to go : (

Lallet

Eeehehehh...Honestly, I am kinda glad that digital communication has become the norm. Not only is it because my handwriting has always been...awful, but also, it is just so much more convenient and quick. Now you can wish someone a Happy Birthday or discuss something with them pretty much instantly, rather than waiting for days.

• Brohoof 5

An unfortunate circumstance with technological advances is that many of the old ways of doing things, such as writing personal and warming letters, get replaced by easier and more convenient new methods. I can see why a person would wish to continue writing personal letters as it does add that touch as you mentioned and it especially shows off of their confidence and pride in their own handwriting.

When someone at the register remarks of how they're happy somebody does cursive writing as their signature, that's when you start feeling old and feel that perhaps some things are getting worse for the advancement of communications. I don't have good handwriting myself but I see the validity and do wish for it to be kept around as it's still a need to have some skill in writing.

Keep on writing these warm letters of care and even more stuff as they'll appreciate it very much.

• Brohoof 1

Text messages are just more convenient and easier. In a society which is becoming bigger, faster and more innovative, efficiency in speed whilst keeping in mind productivity is preferred by anyone with a mindset for the future and technology. Handwritten letters are really only used nowadays as a nostalgic activity. Why else would you continue to write letters when you could just simply send a text message which does exactly what you want, only faster? It's purely for nostalgia, nostalgia exactly for what you said, 'Those were the days. So personal, so filled with excitement of warmth and waiting.'

• Brohoof 1

In a word? Redundancy.

Paper and ink cost + somewhat long delivery times gave way to instant messaging with a fast and reliable medium.

I get what you're saying but those 'personal' letters from the bank i could do without lol

I personally am more perturbed that short hand txts have replaced phone calls as a means to keep in touch, but I digress.

When you have a lot to say, letters or emails trump texts or facebook - at least to me.

Handwritten thank you cards should always be sent after a gift - its not something I did until after my wedding, but people respond, young and old. I even get thank you phone calls because they appreciate my thank you notes. It makes them feel appreciated, which they are. That's my number one letter writing, along with Christmas cards.

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 1

You can still send letters and postcards if you want to. It's still there, and it's still regularly used by many people. It's just no longer a necessity, and not nearly as handy.

To be honest I am perfectly fine with how communication has evolved as of right now.

Using Cell phones and social media websites like Facebook as well as sending e-mails makes it much more easier to stay in touch with your friends and families. Especially if they live really really far away.

Technological advancement is not the issue, it's how we now have texting zombies, the equivalent of Mark Twain walking across streets without looking up and suing when they get hit.

Natural selection, folks. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I still send letters via mail, and know people that do also.

If there is something the world lacking, it would be deeper thought and the sense of formality that went along with traditional letters.

There is nothing wrong with sending anyone a letter, but it depends on the person you are sending it to, to reply, I guess.

It's nice to send and receive them, but in all honesty, I have friends and family quite a way away and the instant messaging is a Godsend.

I know a lot of females in particular that would ache for a thoughtful handwritten letter, though it's kind of amusing to watch them miss the mark sometimes lol.

• 4 years later...

I still remember how to hand write! You younger people grew up with smartphones so you don't know how to operate what we call a pencil! >_>

We still get mail. And during the holidays, we get Christmas cards in the mail. 

Plus, my Mother made me mail out thank you cards to all the people who got me gifts for my high school graduation (Even though I thought it was a waste of paper.) People still send letters, though this time it seems more for special occasions like invitations to weddings, wishing someone a happy holidays, things like that.

There are pros and cons to technology, and I don’t see a purpose in denouncing things just because they’re not traditional, but I do enjoy writing and receiving letters. 

On 4/11/2016 at 1:33 PM, Ziggy + Angel + Rain said:

One undeniable positive to communicating via traditional mail: No one's ever caused a vehicular accident because they were simultaneously driving and writing a handwritten letter.

Given the number of drivers around the world and the depths of the human capacity for stupiditu, I wouldn't bet on it..  

And I never really worte letters, but I didn't do texts till a few uears back either

I find it's more convenient to text or send an email to someone or chat on discord/facebook or whatever.  I'm able to communicate with friends and family out of my general area that would've taken months to do if I still depended on mail alone(I normally don't like talking on the phone so I typically don't make calls unless I needed to).  Not to mention with the current crisis, My country Canada has closed our borders save for essential transport and I doubt any of my letters would make it across the borders to my aunt in the Boston Mass area, for months if not potentially more than that depending on how long the border closure goes on for.

Not saying I don't value the thought that sending a card or letter is, just don't think it's as convenient as chatting on Facebook or something.