Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Cultures Unite (1x1 with GeneralDirection)

Samurai Equine

@Samurai Equine

“Kirin history is actually a lot different than what the rest of Equestria is familiar with.” Silver explains after Ryugane finishes. “We spent most of our existence isolated from the rest of society, so a lot of the major events most ponies are familiar with, we had no knowledge of. It’s been mainly due to my discoveries while adventuring that has helped us get up to date with the rest of the world. Now then, about these founders. Do we know why they were here? Were they just wandering through, or did they intentionally seek this land out?” He asked.

@GeneralDirection

"It was in a time when most of Japone was unpopulated and undiscovered. Travelers were wondering all over to discover and settle all of Japone." Ryugane explains. "When the industrial revolution began, this region of Japone embraced it so much, they almost lost all sense of natural beauty. But thankfully, there are at least some places where nature is preserved." Denki says. "Just not enough, as you saw when you first came here." Ryugane says.

@Samurai Equine

Silver nods in response. “Yes, I have noticed it here, as I have noticed it in many other places. It’s a shame, really. My home is nothing like this, though. Things rarely ever change there, which has its positives and negatives. I got bored of it and sought adventure, so that’s what I went after. This time, it led me here, and I’m sure there will be many others back at home who will love to learn more about Japone and its inhabitants.”

@GeneralDirection

Ryugane wants to say something, but lets it go when he is interrupted. "I am sure the world would love to read a book on the history of kirin culture. There is much that is unknown." Denki says.

As Ryugane thinks about which part of the tour to explore next, a small piece of raw material falls off wall of the mine and lands harmlessly against Silver's foot.

@Samurai Equine

“Well, if there’s anything you ever want to know, you can always ask me. But I promise you that it’s nowhere near as interesting as you might think it is.” Silver replies as a small piece of the wall falls and lands near his hoof, which he notices before looking back to his friends. “Umm… is it supposed to do that?” He asks as he picks the piece up off the floor and bring it up closer for them to see with his magic.

@GeneralDirection

It's a very unique piece of metal. It has a rainbow-like sheen on the top surface. Denki examines it. "That's a rather refined piece of bismuth." Denki says. "And it's yours now. It's rare for any minerals to sprout up here. This mine was suppose to be picked clean. If any metals or precious stones fall off the walls and land in your vicinity, you are allowed to keep it. It's the business policy of the company that owns this mine." Ryugane explains.

@Samurai Equine

“Bismuth.” Silver repeats. “What’s that used for?”

Silver nods after Ryugane’s explanation. “Right, I didn’t think that any metals of value would be left in here after all this time.” Silver places the bismuth in his saddlebag. “It’ll be a nice souvenir I can have of the place to look back on.” He smiles.

@GeneralDirection

"It's for whatever you want. You can melt it down, shape it, or do whatever you like. But since it has such nice colors and a unique shape, most just keep it as-is. They make for good decorative pieces." Denki explains. "Silver-san, where do you want to go next? There is a gift shop and a mine cart ride." Ryugane asks.

@GeneralDirection

"I... Don't know, honestly." Denki says. "It probably had some minor uses back in the day, but it doesn't really matter anymore. Bismuth isn't used in any practical way these days. For construction, recreation, and anything else; modern society uses better metals and alloys than anything we can get from Bismuth. And if those metals fall short for whatever reason, magic tends to get the rest of the job done. It's a good way to help preserve nature." Ryugane explains before leading the way.

The mine cart has a small line, but it's clearly not like a traditional mine cart. This is more like a ride at a carnival or theme park. The rails automate where it will go. Still, it could be fun. "When I was a young foal, I didn't like rides like this... They made me nervous." Denki quietly says to his friends.

@Samurai Equine

“Well either way, it’s interesting to know some history about the place, and that bismuth is no longer used in your society.” Silver replies, making a few notes in his journal.

They moved on from this room and made their way to the mine cart ride. There is a small line up, but it appears to be a lot tamer than Silver had been hoping for. Might as well give it a go while I’m here. He thought to himself. He’s about to get in line when he hears Denki’s comment and turns around. “Wait, what?” He asks with wide eyes, though his tone indicates he’s merely being playful. “I thought samurai were supposed to be fearless warriors. But the carnival mine cart ride, that’s too much? Wow, I am surprised.”

(edited)

@GeneralDirection

"!! Ne! You're being too loud, Silver-san! Don't be rude." Denki says, his usually calm mane getting ruffled again. "We are, but that doesn't mean we're perfect. We were born the same as any other creature. ...Still, that is kind of lame." Ryugane says coldly. "Not you too, Ryugane-san! I thought we had an understanding." Denki is starting to become electrically changed, and it's a little stronger than static cling.

Edited by Samurai Equine

@Samurai Equine

Silver’s mood quickly changes when he sees that Denki is not in the slightest bit amused. “Was just being playful, my friend. I’m sorry you don’t see it as such, and I upset you. It won’t happen again. I’m going to go on the ride now, you’re both welcome to join me, or if you prefer not to, that’s equally fine.” He responds as he joins the queue.

@GeneralDirection

Denki calms down, responding well to Silver's word and losing his electrical charge. "You are in no trouble, Silver-san. But as for you, Ryugane-san..." Denki narrows his eyes at him. "If you have something to say to me, then we can always settle on Battle Kazoku. ...If you're up to it, that is." Ryugane says. For a second, it looks like these two are about ready to throw down, but Ryugane says that last sentence with a smirk. In turn, Denki smirks as well and holds up a hoof. "You're on." Denki says before the two of them lock hooves. But it doesn't look like hoof shake. It looks more like an arm wrestle, but with their smirks, it seems more like a friendly competition.

Soon it is their time to get on the ride, and they are lucky. The mine fits three. "Right this way, gentlecolts." One of the mine cart workers directs them onto the mine cart. Ryugane and Denki take the two seats in the back, letting Silver sit up front. "Remember to fasten your safety belts until they are taught, but not extremely tight. And get ready, because this ride is wild." The worker informs them.

@Samurai Equine

Silver smiles at their antics, glad to know the issue was resolved. The two samurai have a bit of a friendly competition that is shortly resolved, and they all soon board the ride. Silver sits up front by himself, which is fine. He fastens his seatbelt in preparation for the ride as a worker passes by and informs them that they ride ‘is wild’. “Bring it on!” He replied enthusiastically.

The kirin doesn’t know whether there was any truth in what the worker pony said, or if it was just something he was told to say as part of his job. Either way, as an adventurer, he hoped that it would be at least somewhat exciting. These were the sort of things he lived for, after all.

@GeneralDirection

The worker moves away and signals for the ride to begin. It grinds to slow start before jumping forward at a fast speed! As it goes into the tunnel, things get a little dark, but not too dark. The cart weaves left and right, zipping around. Mining sounds can be heard over loud speakers. Obviously animatronic miners pop out, pretending to mine while recordings of their conversations play out. At one point, the mine floor beneath the rails falls out, revealing a ravine of water that is made to look like a glowing pool of magma. It's pretty much confirmed when automatic machines hit Silver and his friends with a light, watery mist. Further ahead, the cart goes into these big loop-de-loops, slow rises followed by sudden vertical drops, and other crazy movements. Eventually, more animatronics show, this time looking like strange monsters and demons, while the loud speakers play creepy sound effects. Some of these animatronics are well hidden in the dark until a spotlight makes them known. There is even a moment in the ride when fake, but loud, explosions sounds play out as tons of fire-colored ribbons and confetti shower down from above. Is this wild or what?

@Samurai Equine

Silver holds on as the ride starts to move, preparing himself for whatever may lie ahead. As the cart rolls into the tunnel, they speed up as it goes down the track. Sounds can be heard throughout the ride and animatronic workers can be seen, bringing some atmosphere to the mine that had long since been abandoned. A section of the track goes over a pool of water that was made to look like flowing lava, followed by many loops and drops, and a loud explosion is heard while confetti and ribbons rain down from above. He could certainly say that he was not expecting anything quite like this in a museum of all places. Of course, nothing would ever top the feeling that real adventure provides, but after today’s events, something a bit tamer was welcomed.

@GeneralDirection

At many points, Denki holds onto the cart or only watches with one eye open. Ryugane sits, completely unfazed. After many crazy twists, turns, and surprises, the cart going into the final tunnel of darkness. Things get quiet. Then a set of chimes go off, creating a melody that feels like a victory or congratulations jingle.

Spoiler

The cart slows down and stops in the same place where Silver and the rest originally boarded. "All right! That's it! Hope you all enjoyed the ride. Please unfasten your safety belts. The exit line is right over there. And please come back to visit us some time." The worker comes out to greet them, pointing out the way to the exit.

@Samurai Equine

After a few minutes, the ride comes to an end, and a song is played as they gently roll back into the starting platform. Silver unbuckles himself with his magic and walks out the ride exit, thanking the worker pony as he passed by. The three friends met back up outside. “Well, what did you both think of that?” Silver asked. “Personally, I really enjoyed it.”

• Brohoof 1

@GeneralDirection

Denki wobbles a little bit as he exits the cart, but quickly recomposes himself. "Heh. Quite the fun ride. Feels like those loops went over 500 vertical feet." Denki says. "It was fine." Ryugane says as he exits the cart. "Where would you like to go next, Silver-san? This mine is mostly for the visuals these days. Some ponies take their dates here. The only place left is the mine's gift shop." 

@Samurai Equine

“Might as well hit the gift shop before we leave.” Silver replies. “Maybe there’ll be something interesting there I can pick up for Vesperr or Charlotte.” Silver’s experience with most gift shops in his travels were that they were mostly cheap knickknacks that were rarely useful. But, maybe this one might be different. He also wondered where Samurai had gotten to, it felt like they had been here for a while, but he hadn’t returned yet. Hopefully everything was ok.

@GeneralDirection

"If you are having trouble paying for the souvenirs, let me know." Denki says. Ryugane leads the way to the gift shop. Once there, they have a variety of things to pick from, but mostly stuff that relates to the mine. T-shirts advertising the mine, rock candy, mood rings and mood bracelets made with color-changing rocks, metal sculptures, decorative plaques and plates, clocks and watches, toys, mugs and thermoses, various metal and mine-scented candles, novelty items, etc. The most expensive items they have are replicas of the original mining tools used by the early settlers. They also offer free information pamphlets that summarize the mine's history. They are written in multiple languages, thankfully. 

@Samurai Equine

“Oh, that won’t be necessary, Denki. But I appreciate the offer.” He replies with a smile, turning his attention to the merchandise in the shop. He walks by various items but after a few minutes of browsing, he doesn’t find anything that particularly catches his eye. Or rather, nothing that his family back home would be interested in. He does feel a bit bad that he hasn’t managed to find anything for his marefriend yet, but he still hopes that somewhere along the way he’ll find something that she likes. Once he's finished looking, he grabs one of the information pamphlets, and places it into his saddlebag. More knowledge never hurt anypony.

“I guess that will be it for me here, then. I’m ready to go whenever you two are.”

(edited)

@GeneralDirection

"Not really interested in the selection?" Ryugane asks, also not getting anything. Denki buys a selection of metallic and florescent paints. Apparently they had those too.
With their journey through the mine done, they leave together, only for Samurai to magically teleport before them again. "Hey everypony! Did I miss anything important?" He asks. "Not much. Me and Denki have scheduled another match for Battle Kazoku. I'll let Silver-san talk about the rest." Ryugane explains. "Again?" Samurai says with a bit of chortle.

Edited by Samurai Equine

@Samurai Equine

“Nope, not really.” Silver replies as they leave the store. Suddenly, Samurai teleports back to them again. “Hey, Samurai! We just finished touring the mine. Wrote down a bunch of historical information, had a piece of bismuth fall from the walls, and we all went on the minecart ride! We also quickly looked through the gift shop, but I didn’t see anything I liked there. That about sums up what you missed.”