open Cultures Unite (1x1 with GeneralDirection)

Samurai Equine

@GeneralDirection

Samurai nods. "Glad you had a great time, my friend. Sorry that it took me so long to get back. That's the thing about being on patrol. If you look for something to do, you'll find it. Even if you are only looking for any major problems, you might get buried in a bunch of minor problems. Still, I'm happy to help those who need me." Samurai explains with a nod. "For me, going on patrol means cleaning up messes in a messy region." Ryugane explains. "And for me, going on patrol means making sure everypony is following regulations." Denki explains.

@Samurai Equine

“Well, I had no idea there was such a thing as a samurai until I came here. You’re all certainly a committed bunch, I’ll say that much. But then again, I guess it’s what you signed up for. I feel like Japone is very fortunate to have ponies like you here, doing what you do. I’ve never encountered such an organization as this in all my travels across Equestria. Now then, where shall we head to next?” He asks. “I doubt that it’s time for the festival yet.”

@GeneralDirection

"We do have 'til nightfall, which is only a few hours away. Not much longer, really. Maybe I should contact the studio..." Denki says. "The only thing we can do now is just kill time until then. I suppose we could relax at my house..." Ryugane offers. Although, Silver did spot some other things they could do instead. There is the robot restaurant, or the tori gate. Denki mentioned something about a studio. Or, if Silver has something specific in mind, he could ask about that.

@Samurai Equine

“Studio? What’s this about, Denki?” Silver questioned. “I have to admit, I’m not used to having any companions along during my adventures, let alone three. In my downtime, I usually find a nice spot and do some drawing for a while in between things. Yes, I know, not very exciting...”

@GeneralDirection

"The studio where Battle Kazoku is filmed. It's an event with a live audience. Multiple participants go head-to-head in a bunch intense physical challenges, but on a rare occasion, there can be an actually fighting tournament. It's rare because hardly any contestants volunteer for that; it's mostly a chance for skilled citizens to show off their abilities. Still, it happens because they know that the samurai class is watching. A rare few use that show to prove their worth as the next possible samurai." Ryugane explains. "But there's no rule against fellow samurai entering the competition as well. It makes for a great spectacle when two samurai warriors are competing against each other." Denki says with a smirk.

"Nothing wrong with drawing, my friend. The arts are just as much a part of being a samurai as anything else. Our government invests in us, gives us access to the best education opportunities, art, magic, physical training, and many other great resources. More than the average citizen. If we're going to defend this land or fight for Celestia at a moment's notice, then we need to be the best we can possibly be." Samurai speaks up.

@Samurai Equine

“Oh wow!” Silver exclaims after hearing Ryugane talking about the battle. “It sounds like something that would be very exciting to watch, I wouldn’t mind, if that’s where you two wish to go now.”

“That’s good to know, my friend.” Silver replied to Samurai. “I’m glad your government cares so much about you. We do not have such things back at my village. We have a leader, but that’s it, and each village has its own leader. We don’t really communicate much with other villages, aside from trading.” He explains.   

@GeneralDirection

"Is that where you wish to go?" Ryugane asks, curious. "My bout with Ryugane will have to be scheduled for some other time. It would be inconvenient for the studio if we barged in and interrupted an episode they all ready planned. However, we can still go to the studio and watch tonight's episode with the live audience." Denki explains. "You may be new here to Japone, and while we would love to show you everything, we're just as excited to spend time with you as you are to spend time here. Your choice matters just as much." Samurai says.

@Samurai Equine

“Oh, ok, I understand now.” Silver replies. “Well, we could go watch the show anyway. As I’ve said to Samurai, I don’t really have a plan. I just want to experience as much of Japone as I can while I’m still here. The more places I go, the more I will have to write back to my village about. So we can go there, or we could go somewhere else. If any of you have any suggestions, please, feel free to put them out there.” He says with a smile.

@GeneralDirection

"Then off we go! The more sights to see, the better." Samurai says, excited to go. "If we're going to go, then allow me to take us there in style." Ryugane walks ahead a short ways. He stands up right and takes a deep breathe, focusing intensely as his horn begins to glow. "Metallic Shaping." Opening his eyes, he punches the ground hard enough to cause a rumbling. It looks like something is burrowing in the ground and coming towards them. A tall metal spire pops out of the ground before breaking apart into many pieces. But instead of those pieces flying everywhere, they magically begin to reshape into something new.

Before long, there is a strange metal vehicle before them. It looks like a mix between a sports vehicle and a tank. However, it's clear that this vehicle is big enough for all of them. "I prefer this over palanquins. I'm driving." Ryugane says, getting in first.

@Samurai Equine

Silver watches in silence, stunned as Ryugane showcases his magical powers by creating a large chunk of metal from seemingly nothing. He continues his focus and slowly, the piece of metal starts to form a shape. Once Ryugane is finished, Silver still doesn’t know what he’s looking at. Apparently, this thing will transport them to wherever they needed to go though, so the kirin gets in and takes a seat, still a bit surprised by what he just witnessed.  

@GeneralDirection

"Impressive, isn't it?" Samurai quietly says to Silver as he gets into the vehicle with him, followed by Denki. Once they are inside, the vehicle closes up and speeds down road.

Moments later, they are in a completely different district. Here the roads are bigger, buildings are bigger and more elegant. There are lights and decorations of all kind. Everything looks expensive and high class. Almost all of the citizens are well dressed. Everyone has a horse-drawn carriage. The ones that don't are either servants towing the carriage or they only have a short walk to their destination. The vehicle comes to a stop and magically disassembles, gently putting its passengers down on the ground before the metal pieces return from whence they came. Ryugane can relax and stop using his magic. "Welcome to the estates. This is where the rich, the elites, and the aristocrats gather. They establish their own district so they don't have to interact with the commoners." Ryugane explains. "Yes. And because the samurai class hold a special place in society, we can come and go through here without being treated like outsiders." Denki adds.

@Samurai Equine

Silver nods in agreement as the vehicle takes off and makes its way to the studio. It doesn’t seem like much time passes until the view outside changes quite a bit. The small, dirty streets with shambled houses and apartments is replaced by elegant looking buildings, gardens, and wide, clean streets. The vehicle comes to a stop, and they are gently placed on the ground as the vehicle disappears about as quickly as it had reappeared.

A quick look around confirms that the ponies who live here are definitely more well-to-do than where they had been earlier. Silver can’t help but a feel a bit out of place here. He’s not exactly poor, but kirin just don’t view themselves this way. He can feel that the attitude ponies have here is very different, they clearly thought very highly of themselves and anypony who couldn’t afford to be here was inherently not as good as they were. Nevertheless, he tried his best to not focus on these things, and instead focus on what they were here for.

@GeneralDirection

Samurai could sense Silver's hesitation. He puts a hoof on his shoulder. "Don't worry. You're our plus one. You're in good company with us." Samurai explains with a smile.

As the team continues walking, the citizens seem kind enough. They bow, nod, and tip their hats to the samurai warriors. Soon enough, they arrive near a massively wide and large building. A colosseum of sorts, with lots of citizens and mother gathered around. Some are here for business, some are here to get in as spectators. "Don't worry about the line. We'll be entering in the express way. A way reserved for samurai only." Ryugane explains.

@Samurai Equine

A hoof on his shoulder brings Silver back to reality as he looks over and smiles at his friend. “Thanks, Samurai.” He says, following the samurai as they make their way to the studio.

As they walk by, it’s made pretty clear that the samurai command a lot of respect everywhere they go, even amongst these elite ponies. He also notices how nopony here showed an adverse reaction to him being there, which again only reinforced the amount of respect being shown for his new friends. Once they arrived, Silver immediately noticed the large line of ponies that had formed outside. Clearly this was a very popular event among folks here, and he could understand why. Silver nodded his head after Ryugane explained they had an exclusive way in, not that the kirin could say he was overly surprised by this.

(edited)

@GeneralDirection

His friends lead him around towards the side of the building, to a special entrance closer to the back. This entrance seems rather discreet, like something staff members would take. When they enter, one of the workers is surprised to see them. He has a clipboard and an ear-piece. "Oh! Ryugane-sama, Samurai-sama. We were not expecting you. Do you wish to sit in your usual private box seats?" The staff member bows before them. "Yes please." Ryugane answers. "Of course, please go ahead. All right, everypony! We have a Code 11. The samurai class is here to see the show!" The staff worker points them in the right direction before immediately addressing all the behind-the-scenes staff, causing them to run around and work faster.

Together, they make it to the stands where the citizens are taking their seats. However, there is a special luxury box set aside for just the four of them. It's literally boxed off with nicer seats and other nicities. "If you're hungry, food will be served to us while we watch." Ryugane explains.

Edited by Samurai Equine

@Samurai Equine

They went around the building and entered through a side entrance. A staff member greets them and directs to their seats. The samurai have their own private seating area with comfier chairs and meal service. Once again, Silver takes note of how the ponies here seem indifferent to his presence, which is certainly a welcome thing for him.

“Oh, well that’s certainly nice, but I think I’ll be fine. In fact, I still have that pizza from earlier, I could always eat that.” Silver thought aloud before taking a seat.  

(edited)

@GeneralDirection

"I forgot you still had some pizza." Samurai admits. As they all get comfortable in their seats, it isn't long before the show begins, and the crowd cheers.

Down below, a series of obstacles awaits for a number of different contestants. There's different announcers speaking in different languages, but one of them does speak in a language Silver can understand. "I'm Ring Side, and things are just about to begin here at Battle Kazoku! Our first round contestants are lined up, but who will be eliminated? It's anypony's game, and there's very few rules beyond No Flying and No Assaulting other Players. Here comes the buzzer... And they're off!"

With the sound of a loud buzzer, the various ponies run off past the starting line. The first obstacle is leaping across a long body of water, with only the help of these floating pads to bounce off of. Some of the least athletic competitors slip and fall. Some sabotage others by pushing pads out of the way. Among those that fall into the water are a clown pony, a pony in a suit, a blind-folded pony, and more. According to the announcers, falling into water equals being disqualified. However, there is no break. The first obstacle leads into the next, a BIG rock climbing wall. The participants have to grab a rope, any rope, and climb to the top. Some decide to swing left and right on their rope. They might not attack any of the other participants, but it's enough to scare them into losing their grip and falling into the waters below. At times, it almost feels like there is no rules at all.

Edited by Samurai Equine

@Samurai Equine

Once the show begins, the contestants get right to it, running the course, facing the obstacles, and each other. Thankfully, one of announcers speaks a language Silver understands, so he’s able to know what’s going on as the competition goes on. The course is physically demanding and many ponies are disqualified as time progresses. The pacing is relentless, obstacle after obstacle is presented to the contestants, slowly thinning their numbers. Silver watches the event unfold keenly, appreciating the action and sense of adventure, but equally happy that he wasn’t competing himself. He doesn’t talk much as to not distract his friends from also enjoying the competition.

@GeneralDirection

Denki orders a drink. "Pretty exciting, right? The competition is designed for those who are strong and ruthless." Ryugane explains. "It's also a bit extreme." Samurai says.

After the rock wall, there is a new level for the competitors. There is a magic barrier, and each one has to find a way to get past. Some try digging; three actually get past the wall this way but they close their tunnels. Some try punching it, but only one gets past this way. One teleports to the other side, but doing so was such a drain that they passed out, so they're eliminated. At least two pegasi manage to fly over it, but it was a tall distance to fly. One unicorn manages to absorb just enough of the wall's magic to make a temporary opening he can leap through. 7 competitors make it through, but the rest are stuck behind the wall. Next comes the enchanted forest, which is mostly a giant cluster of tall vines and trees.. One pegasus gets tangled in the vines, which toss him into the out-of-bounds area. One of the unicorns magically makes the vines attack another competitor, distracting them so he can advance.

"This isn't looking good, everyone. The numbers are dwindling fast. Will anypony make it to the finish line? Last episode, none of the competitors were able to get that far!" Ring Side explains in the middle of his commentary.

@Samurai Equine

“Yep, it is very exciting!” Silver replies. “With all the competitors that have been disqualified, it’s hard to say whether anypony will actually finish the course.” He comments as a number of contestants are eliminated due to either passing out or being send out of bounds by others. “It doesn’t sound like finishing is something that happens very often.”

@GeneralDirection

"Got that right. Many fall just short of finishing that finish line. Sometimes, entire rounds have no winners." Ryugane explains before cheering like a sports fan. Seems this competition really gets him fired up!

The challenges continue one without stop. In a challenge where the competitors have to travel from peg to peg using upper body strength alone, one slips and falls near the end. One challenge has zig-zag wall jumping while trying to out run giant spiders; and another competitor fails. In another challenge where you have to pedal across a short road, one of the competitors breaks their cart and gets elliminated. It goes on like this for a while until there is only one competitor left. There's only three challenges left to go! But sadly, he fails there. The challenge he faced was defeating some kind of giant robot that look like a knight. He used magic to remove some of its armor and attack it, but the knight was too much for the unicorn. It eventually managed to knock him out of bounds with a mighty lance attack. The lights go out unceremoniously.

"And that's it, folks. It seems there was no winner this round. We have two winners from the last 4 rounds. There's still two more rounds to go, and if we don't get any other winners, it will be a showdown between Stone Pack and Quick Stepper. For now, that's it, fillies and gentlecolts! Tune in next time to see the next round of Battle Kazoku!" The announcer says. Ponies watching from the stands begin to leave. "Too bad. You never know with these things. Sometimes our presence inspires them to try even harder. Other times, our presence is too much pressure for the competitors." Denki says.

@Samurai Equine

Silver is happy to see Ryugane enjoying the show as well, not really having a chance to see him acting any other way than serious and responsible. The competition continues to ramp up, throwing more challenges their way, and more contestants being eliminated as a result. There aren’t many of them left, and after a short while, only one remains. The crowd cheers him on as best as they can, but ultimately the course proves to be too much for him. To be fair, after all he had to go through, having to fight a robot knight was a bit of a tall order. There is no fanfare at the end, the lights simply go out, and the announcer gives a few parting thoughts before the audience slowly gets up and leaves the building.

“Yes, it is too bad, Denki. He went through a lot and it was unfortunate to see him be defeated. But I suppose it’s simply the way the game goes. Either way, I think we all had fun here, so overall it was a good experience and something I can add to my notes for my village, so I’m happy.” He says with a smile, getting up from his chair.

@GeneralDirection

"I like the competition, but I don't like how little rules there are. It encourages the competitors to be vicious to each other. I prefer a more fair and balanced sport." Samurai says. "Well I like it the way it is. It's survival of the fittest at it's best. Real strength and real determination on display." Ryugane says.

As they leave the building together, thanking staff members on the way out, they see that it's finally turning into night. "Won't be long before the Firefly Festival. This was perfect way to pass the time. Do you want to catch any of the Fireflies, Silver-san?" Denki asks.

@Samurai Equine

“I can understand where you both are coming from here.” Silver responds as they leave the arena. “I think it depends on what the true intention is of the ponies running the show. Do they want it to be about the obstacles, or is it also about being pitted against each other while they navigate the obstacles? I think if you knew this then you could better answer this question.”

Silver follows his friends back outside, where he notices that it’s getting darker. Must be time for that festival soon. He thought to himself before turning his attention to Denki. “Honestly, Denki, I never thought about doing that. Is that allowed? I’m not sure what I’d catch them in.”

@GeneralDirection

"Don't worry. They'll sell supplies to help you do that at the festival. If that's something you might be interested in doing. Plenty of ponies do it. Mostly foals that want a pet. In fact, I did it once too." Samurai explains. Ryugane uses his magic to once more create the same vehicle as before and allows everyone to get inside.