Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What were you convinced you were going to be as a adult when you were a child?

Reecejackox

I thought I wanted to be a teacher, but I realized I needed to be more talkative to do that. I also thought I wanted to be a copy-editor/proofreader/whatever, since that's what teachers and family kept saying I should be since I'm so good with language. 

Then I grew up and realized, why am I making career decisions at fucking 12 years old? That's way too young! Like how did I go from being a meager preteen minding his own business to making potentially destructive life choices with no information as to why it's so important that I do it now? Was there some unspoken assumption that I was in any kind of hurry to grow up? Because that doesn't sound like me at all.

Edited by Sasoriman

As a child, I either wanted to become a fire fighter, an electrician, a forklift driver or a trucker. 

At the end, I made an education as gardener and later worked in warehouses or industrial areas (well, I drove a few times forklifts) before I gone to the university to study geology. 

When I was a child, my aspirations were all over the place. I remember wanting to be a vet, a fashion designer, a chemist, or a professional artist. Most likely, I had other phases as well. Sometime during adolescence, I realized that my true passion was mental health, so that’s the field I’m in today. :P 

• 9 months later...

Honestly I never really could find a specific career aim or goal for myself as a kid. I had no idea what I wanted to do or be. Even now I just work at what I fell into and am decent at instead of out of any sort of passion for my work.

I wanted to be a veterinarian but I'm pretty sure thats just what every animal loving kid wanted to be. I could nooot do that now lol. Like in theory sure but I'm too squeamish to be doing a lot of it. 

I was going to be an artist. At an early age I was very good at doing art. I look back in amazement at my ability to grasp proportions and angles back then. Back then. lol

On 2023-06-30 at 9:45 AM, Kujamih said:

I always wanted to be a garbage man...my dreams were to high to reach sadly....

I guess that depends on perspectives. I'm pretty sure I am one myself, despite the fact I don't go on the streets picking up trash cans ;)

3 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I guess that depends on perspectives. I'm pretty sure I am one myself, despite the fact I don't go on the streets picking up trash cans ;)

Hahahha dark.....:yeahno:.. but funny!:PIPPIPHURRAY:

2 hours ago, Last Line of Defense said:

i was one, the company i worked for ruined my entire life. 

Yeah you should be in it for the labor not tye company.

I fix plains and my company is a cheap as bastard.... What do i do? I make them pay!:sneer: literally and figuratively.

If you treat me like trash then i be trash... Simple. Fire me? Well see ya then.... Too bad they can't because they're running out off man power. Hahaaaa because everyone is living check mate.

When I was a kid, no one pressured me to be anything, so I never had a clear idea of what I wanted to be. My answer would change from year to year. Some of which were just hilariously ridiculous. :ButtercupLaugh:

But at some point in my early teen years, household computers became an increasingly more common thing. The internet became a thing. The digital age and the unlimited possibilities that computer technology could bring became a thing! And I was was having so much fun on computers and learning the world within, than I decided that was what I wanted to do with my life. Computers. I wanted to learn to be a programmer. To develop amazing computer software skills, work in an office building, make big money doing what I do, and so on~!

:yeahno: No one told me I actually needed at least SOME experience programming before I pursue such a future. As such, when I tried to taking programming classes in college, it was too late for me. The classes were small and all the students there had prior experience. They were moving ahead of me quickly. And the teachers were NO help either! Other teachers would bend over backwards to help you after class, do half your homework, ANYTHING to make sure you actually understood the material and didn't get left behind! These programming teachers? NOPE! Figure it out for yourself. Even when I came to them, BEGGING for help, I got absolutely nothing. Had to drop out of that and switch majors. I went for a business major instead, even though an aptitude test STRONGLY suggested I get some kind degree in English or Creative Writing.

But it's not like I can't get super close to that goal. I guess I could get a job for a cell phone service provider, or a TV/Phone/Internet provider. I also have a talent for videos and video editing. I suppose if I really wanted, I could work for a television studio or something...

Speaking of, I avoided getting that English major because I didn't want to spend my life trying to write novels or anything like that. Just didn't seem like a future I'd be happy with. Then again, maybe I should have embraced that after all. Who knows, with such a degree, I might have gone on to help write or create the stories for some really great movies or TV shows! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to be a veterinarian until about 12, decided against it because I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle the emotional stress that comes with it. So then I wanted to be a pilot. Pilot is still pretty much my dream job but it's also unobtainable so... I settled for software engineer. Yeah... I shouldn't have settled for software engineer. I think at this point I would've been better off being a vet regardless of the debt or stress, at least it would've been something I was passionate about, and something that would've actually been a net positive for society.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to be a builder, because Minecraft was my favorite game back in the day, i noticed after some time, if i can't even build something decent in Minecraft, how in the world i'm gonna build a house or builiding in real life lol? And i have like 0 patience with stuff like that nowdays.

A pilot. I had an obsession with aircraft (and still do to this day). I plan on eventually getting my pilot's license, what i didn't know as a kid was how much it costs to do so haha.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Well when I was real little I told people I wanted to be a fire hydrant then I wanted to be a video game tester and next I wanted to be translator and translate mangas. Then an animator and that’s still my current one and it’s one I’m sticking with. 

14 minutes ago, Twitchy-Tremor said:

Well when I was real little I told people I wanted to be a fire hydrant.

That's so adorable omg. When I was about 4 or so my parents said I wanted to be a dog. Which I always think is a precursor to me being a furry later in life.

• 4 months later...