Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm making the Zephyr Heights Postal Service logo, need help with using Inkscape!

Toastypk

2707920.png

Months ago I expressed interest in making the logo for the Zephyr Heights Postal Service, seen here in the top corner, because I would love to have that on a shirt. However, no clear image of it exists anywhere, let alone for sale on some shirt. So I resolved to make my own, and I downloaded Inkscape for this purpose.

For years on my other computer, I've used the older programs Macromedia Flash and Macromedia Fireworks to make vectory stuff, and that's what I would use this time except the state of my other computer is a bit indeterminable right now, and will stay that way until I have it looked at. I figure many of the skills and techniques are going to be similar, but I would nonetheless like some help with a few things and where to find them.

zhps1.jpg

What I'm doing is making a basic parallelogram (seen here in a green instead of blue, to make it easier to see until I'm done) and shape out the portions that make up the white area. In Fireworks and Flash, I could easily do that, but I'm not 100% sure how to here. Even using the line tool, it only seems to add another shape onto the picture, and doesn't treat it as something that can be deleted.

What do I need to do here? Or does anyone have any better ideas?

Edited by Toastypk

Oh hey thanks, everyone for doing the examples you gave.

However, I'm looking for more how to do certain things in Inkscape.

I'm trying to "carve" out the white pony shape in the parallelogram by erasing in it. I could just use the eraser tool, but I wanted more control with the lines, and to make a region in it that could then be erased. I THINK I might be close to figuring out how to do it, but not quite yet.

EDIT: Ok maybe I'm not as far along as I thought. I have half the outline traced, but the lines aren't connecting to form a single entity. I'm too used to Fireworks where you could just drag lines together to make them join. How do you join these?

Edited by Toastypk

• The title was changed to I'm making the Zephyr Heights Postal Service logo, need help with using Inkscape!

I dunno if this will upload correctly, but I finished my outline, here is what I have. I'm trying to join the lines together and make a whole filled in shape which I can then remove from the base parallelogram, but I'm having no luck with joining the lines together, even with the supposed "join nodes" function. I'm lost here, could somebody look at what I have and show me what am I doing wrong?

zhps.svg

• 8 months later...