Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Invisible Thread (1x1 with Catpone Cerberus)

Lucid_Nightlight

@Catpone Cerberus

"Is that a threat? You know I'm allowed to use lethal force if you even attempt t-"

He paused for a moment wincing a bit as if he had a sharp pain.

He then tried to throw her to the ground but jumped back in surprise.

"What? When I grabbed your arm... it felt like someone grabbed mine, and not even my front leg but as if I had your arm."

"Slap me in the face, I want to test something."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Lucid_Nightlight
Flint rose an eyebrow at Somnus's sudden wince, she hadn't done anything yet, was he faking it to get his guard buddies involved? since she hadn't planned to attack at least yet, she just stood there as everything happened, but as Somnus started speaking about odd feelings, Flint connected few dots in her mind, was this what that princess pony meant? "Not so quick, I'm not stupid enough to slap a guard in middle of his barrac-" she moved her hand slightly, cutting off her words as a small gasp escaped her, "...This is a bad idea." she then pulled her hand back, clearly going for a punch, but before it was ever close to connecting, she recoiled back and fell on her back, like she herself had just been punched to the face. After getting over the shock, she wiped her snout with her hand and looked at it, no blood "Add that to the list of curses I've gotten stuck with." she seemed oddly...unfazed by the new realization. She put her hand on her snout "Ow"  

@Catpone Cerberus

"How odd, why would Gladia or Darkstalker make this? What purpose would it serve?"

Somnus looked thoughtful but he couldn't find a reason.

"It's strategically pointless. Could this just be a test what magic could do or was it from a bored draconequus? Unless the spell was targeted and they want us to go to them but, I see no reason why they'd want either of us."

He looked thoughtfully again.

"And they're both dead, Ruby tore Gladia to pieces, pretty impressive for a dragon fighting a draconequus, even a weakened one. And Quasi had Darkstalker executed after torturing Ruby. I'd have someone executed too if someone skinned my wife alive, if I had a wife. Surprisingly I never had that sort of relationship."

These events were easy to know from his communications with them during his time as Prime Minister. Even if he wasn't, the news spread pretty far. Though not all the details were fully known.

@Lucid_Nightlight
As Somnus spoke, Flint used that time to get up from the floor, if this was what it felt to be bunched by her, she was stronger than she had assumed. "Don't know much about any of that, but I do know a thing or too about causing pain and mental anguish, and I can come up with two uses for it from top of my head." "One you already mentioned, to get someone to come to them, if you get your enemies to trigger this, and you are the only one who can get rid of it, it's a powerful tool for manipulation." "But then there's the other option, the one I would do." "Let's say there's someone who's a problem, but you can't kill them, be it because they are too strong, or because you need them..." as she explained her theory, she walked towards Somnus again "...but you can tolerate them." "This thing stops us from hurting each other, it seems to be able to tell th-" she winced slightly "...the intent, as evidenced by that, but I doubt it cares if it is in self-defense or not" "And it seems to be only for physical harm, so..." she would walk up to Somnus, and start scratching his ear like he was a dog or something "...in theory, you could use it to do unpleasant things to someone, while they are unable to stop you."  "Torture without bodily harm."

"Why us though? no idea, maybe we share something in common that the intended target also has? that the other guards in the room at the time didn't have" she would keep trying to make Somnus as uncomfortable as possible to prove a point until he either asked her nicely to stop or the other guards came to intervene, though she couldn't lie that she did it because she wanted to too, after all, she said it was what she would do. 

@Catpone Cerberus

"I'm not exactly happy with the idea of mental pain. But, as for why us? Princess Twilight will figure that out. The formally perceived fictional Daring Doo found the sword then brought it over to Equestria, who brought it to us because Twilight is more knowledgeable in magic and would be the most likely to figure this type of magic out. Actually, I'm pretty surprised that Daring Doo is essentially memoirs and real stories. Also fun fact, she is very fond of a movie series about a man similar to her."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Flint found Somnus's lack of real reaction boring, so she just rolled her eyes and walked back to her end of the space. "I don't think the creator cares how you feel about it, and if said creator skinned someone alive, I think my suggestion is very likely to be the case, they sound just mad enough to tie themselves to someone." she pointed out "And technically I brought it to you since I stole it before it got here, then threw it into your garbage." she put her hand on her chin "Daring Doo, that name sounds just stupid enough that I think I remember it, oh yeah, those books....wait a second, why is it called finding when she does it, but stealing when I do it?" 

@Catpone Cerberus

Somnus let out is small sigh.

"Daring Doo found it and gave to proper authorities upon noticing the significance. You did not. You threw it into a trashcan and lit it on fire. And while our guys did lose the sword, you still should've turned it into a local police station."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"And you assume I'm expert on weird magical items why?" Flint questioned "How would have I known it had any significance? it looked like a normal boring sword." "If I knew anything about these things, I wouldn't be stuck with who-knows-how-many curses." This may have not been the best argument, but to her it made sense.

@Catpone Cerberus

"Alright even then you set a trashcan on fire. What's even the point? You what, get money and kicks committing crimes? Get a job maybe a hobby while you're at it."

He then points at the metal thing she has on.

"And that, that is absolutely the stupidest outfit I've ever seen in my life. It looks uncomfortable to walk in, you probably can't even take the thing off, meaning you cannot wash the thing, even if you could take it off, there's probably an outline with a paler color now that makes you look stupid."

"How'd you even get in that? You're like someone who put their head in a chair and needs the fire department to cut them ou-"

"I don't know, I like the aesthetic. It also has an intimidation factor."

"Yeah, but what's really intimidating is having to sleep in that!"

@Lucid_Nightlight
"I mean, you are not entirely wrong." Flint said in a matter-of-fact way "I do get kicks out of fire, that's why I keep burning things, and I'd argue that it is my hobby, along other things you soft ponies wouldn't approve of." while her way of speak was nonchalant, there was a level of obvious self-satisfaction behind every word, she sat down on her bed "But money? nah, like I said to that pretty little princess of yours, I have nowhere to keep money in, so it has no use for me, I just steal what I need." she laid down, crossed her legs and put her hands under her head "And for the outfit, indeed, I can't take it off, in fact, I'm pretty sure it has somehow fused with me, since I can actually feel things through it." she chuckled like she had thought about something funny "Your comparison is also accurate, that is how it happened, I saw a cool thing, put it on, and now I'm stuck with it for rest of my life." she tilted her head just enough to look at Somnus "And I get you are trying to insult me, but while I disagree with your poor taste, if it hasn't become clear at this point, I don't actually care what you think." she smiled at him before turning to look at the ceiling again, she raised one of her arms towards the roof and looked at her own hand. "I don't need the validation of some spoiled bat who's biggest worry is slight discomfort while sleeping." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Slight discomfort while sleeping? That's my big worry? Not having to be ready at a moment's notice when my nation is in danger? Have you seen war? Have YOU fought an enemy that has technology far beyond yours? Flying machines and armored vehicles that fire metal at high speeds, never knowing when bombs will fall from the sky to kill you in a moment if you're lucky enough to be near the explosion to die instantly and not die painfully missing limbs?"

"You try going to war against one who you were once loyal to and tell me what your biggest worry is."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Your own choice to become a guard, that's like me complaining about being wanted for the crimes I've done." Flint said rather dismissively, still looking at her hand "Besides, we both know that is not your biggest worry now, even I know that a war is not a constant threat here, and if you don't know that...well, I believe that is called paranoia and it's not healthy." "Doesn't make you any less spoiled though, one bad event doesn't take away a life's worth of luxury, especially with your lifespan." 

"But if you wanna play a questions game, I have few for you too."  "When was the last time you slept outside during a snowstorm?" "How many times have you been beaten up for not wanting to starve?" "How many times have you done things against your will just to get shelter from deadly weather?" she turned to look at Somnus again, and while everything else up to this point had been rather nonchalant, her next words came out uncharacteristically serious "When was the last time you shouted for help and nobody cared?" she then turned back towards the roof yet again, continuing in the usual nonchalant way "You ponies and your princess of friendship, you know nothing about actual hardship." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"I know who you are Flint. Orphaned, committing crime, being hated, slept in the snow, beaten for being hungry. You're a mirror Image of my old life."

He turned into his wyvern form after getting off the bed.

"My adoptive parents were afraid of me because I was this."

He turned back.

"And at the time, I didn't even know. I did know however they'd beat me to He point of near death if I even looked at them wrong. The best day of my childhood was when they kicked me out."

"Eventually, I was given a chance at life when a recruiter for the royal guard caught me stealing when I was 18, instead of having me arrested, he helped me join up. I was given a chance, and so are you. Sure, I can't recruit you immediately and suddenly you're in but you are given a chance for a pardon for your crimes and a chance to live your life in peace here in Harmonia."

"Though, I'm sure you'd pass the basic training if you chose to join after your pardon as long as you do as you're told."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Flint was genuinely taken off guard by Somnus's sudden transformation, and her reaction reflected that, she had entertained the thought that Somnus was draconic in some way, but she hadn't imagined it to be this literal. But while she was certainly surprised, she was not scared, and while she had thoughts about it, she didn't make them known because she wanted to focus on what Somnus said instead, they would have plenty of time to talk about Somnus's real nature later. 

"When you were 18? so your answer is what, few times over 1400 years ago?" It took more than bit of compassion to make a dent to Flint, especially when she didn't really have a reason to believe that this wasn't just a poor attempt at manipulating her, Somnus hadn't exactly come up as caring individual before "At least you had parents, I had doctors and guards." she stated nonchalantly "But I barely remember anything about them, only that hearing them scream was a relief." satisfied smile rose to her face as she said the last part "No, what I mentioned happened after that place was but a pile of ash, naive little thing I was, thinking that they were cruel." she laughed "You know what the local guard did when they first saw me? they kicked me and told me to scram." "So no thanks, don't care for your sympathy, and definitely won't become a subordinate to anyone anymore, got enough of that when I was too weak to defend myself." if there was any emotional pain behind those words, Flint hid it well, as the whole time she was talking like she was speaking about yesterday's weather, in fact, if anything, it almost seemed like she found the whole thing funny.

@Catpone Cerberus

"...I see. They weren't supposed to do that, you know. If anyone under my command did that, they'd be in two places. A world of trouble and jail. They probably weren't under my command, so word never reached me."

"Actually here in Harmonia, the militias can arrest a guard for that."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Considering it was nowhere on this continent, I'm not surprised you didn't hear about it." Flint stated in sarcastic manner "By local guards, I meant the guards local to the place I was in, I came to the Equestrian continent for the first time only few years ago." "Living on the streets here is luxury compared to where I come from." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Yeah, not much I can do there."

The next morning, a Twilight would walk in.

"We got some information that might help. I'm Equestrian territory, there's a former Fironian soldier who worked closely with Gladia we think they know something."

"You should probably talk to them yourselves."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Flint spend rest of the day without causing too much trouble, it turns out that when left alone, she didn't actively cause harm besides trying to annoy those around her, and for now nothing caught on fire either.

What she wasn't though, was calm, as she didn't seem to be able to stay put for longer than few moments at a time, she was always fiddling with something, pulling out the knife from earlier if she found nothing else, a knife that she seemed to always manage to make disappear somehow if anyone tried to take it away from her, moving around in some way, be it moving from place to place or just changing positions in one place, singing, taking part in conversations not involving her, talking to herself, muttering, humming, saying things to get reactions out of others, or some combination of several, shortly put, while not directly harming anyone, her presence probably annoyed everyone. If she was let to interact with Fluffball, she would be surprisingly gentle with him, while she would still do things like poking his ball because his annoyance and potential attempts of attack amused her, she seemed to respect the hamster the most in the room, and would actually apologize to it if it seemed she had gone too far.

She would finally stop doing things when she fell asleep for the night.

In the morning, she slept as long as she was allowed to, and if she wasn't woken up before it, Twilight's arrival would wake her up, though oddly enough, the magic inhibitor that had been on her horn was now on the floor broken, so she had somehow removed it during the night. Flint didn't have anything to say to what Twilight said, partly because it was so vague that she expected her to continue, but she wasn't one to stay quiet, so she simply greeted her while also yawning  "Hi again princess purple"  

@Catpone Cerberus

"Hi, Flint. Now, there's multiple nations that want this dragon extradited to them. The United Appaloosian Republic would really like that dragon dead after they seceeded from Equestria and that dragon worked with Equestria to try and stop them. The only reason they didn't join Harmonia is because they supported advanced technology. And then there's the Skywing Kingdom, this dragon aided in the capture of Queen Ruby, the Skywing Ruby, not the deathwing. Queen Ruby isn't too happy about being imprisoned, despite being restored to her throne with the help of the other Bekisnhlekil and Quasi Nix during the early events of the war."

"Surely you can negotiate with them."

"We're trying. The problem is that both nations are mad, and both want to be the ones to have this dragon executed. We're working with Queen Ruby and President Braeburn to try and make a deal Braeburn says the situation is delicate or whatever and Queen Ruby just wants to kill the dragon of interest. We're working with Starlania to see if they can talk some sense into the Skywing Queen, she respects Queen Bekisnhlekil and King Quasi."

Somnus nodded in acknowledgement.

"I see, and I assume sending forces to take this dragon would upset Equestria."

"I can understand why the Appaloosians are upset, that massacre at the Battle of the Applemo really sealed it for that dragon. A heroic last stand that battle. But at least the Appaloosians won the war after capturing Princess Luna at the battle of San Appacinto. I hear they let Luna go in exchange for a treaty recognizing Appaloosian independence. Sam Hoofington was a pretty skilled general."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Flint yawned again "How very interesting, but can we get to the point?" she looked at Twilight "I get that you want us to meet this dragon because you think they can help with the situation, but you are yet to say who you want us to meet." "What we have now is, it's a dragon, it's somewhere in Equestria, great, do you know how many dragons of unspecified gender there is in Equestria?" sure she probably would have gotten the answer if she would have just let Twilight and Somnus talk, but as it probably was apparent at this point, that wasn't her style, she liked the sound of her own voice, and she liked to annoy others, so she always took the chance to comment something when she had something to say. She also didn't respect others' authority, obviously, so being able to annoy not only a guard, but a ruler of a nation, that was a big bonus. 

As she spoke, she picked up the broken magic inhibitor and started fiddling with it.

@Catpone Cerberus

"They're in Canterlot at the hotel. They're staying under Equestrian Royal National Guard protection while they figure out what to do. They're allowing us to question this dragon. His name is Icefall. Spike got gave me a letter from Princess Celestia giving you permission to speak to him."

"I see, must be weird hearing from her."

"All is forgiven its just that Harmonians want to stay independent to preserve old ways of life. This is something that will stay ingrained in our culture."

Somnus grabbed his spear and put on his armor. He also packed his armor made for personal use outside of royal guard work, since if he had to travel to other nations other than Equestria, they might not like a uniformed foreign soldier on their land.

"General Flash Magnus ensured you will still get paid. You need to break the spell by midnight or you'll be stuck forever."

"Wait, really?"

"No, I'm joking, you don't have a time limit, take your time."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Because she didn't own anything besides what was already on her, she had nothing to prepare, but what she did do, was gently toss the magic inhibitor towards Twilight, she was aiming for her horn, but if she actually hit it or not depended fully on what Twilight did, regardless of where the inhibitor ended up, after it had been noticed by Twilight, Flint would state with a smirk "Probably should fix that, I broke it.". If she actually managed to throw it on Twilight's horn, it wouldn't do anything special, because as stated, it was broken.

Something Twilight said got her attention though, so when there was a quiet moment, Flint spoke again "Hey Purply, How do you know there is no time limit if you don't even know for sure what it is? Or are you just not telling us something you do know?" 

@Catpone Cerberus

Twilight would catch it with her magic and look at it.

"How did y- never mind."

As for her question.

"I used a magic detection spell. Because this magic isn't the same as typical Equestrian magic, I cannot detect everything about it, but I can detect some aspects such as time. Perhaps with more research, a sufficient spell can be made but it could take a long time, longer than you two would want to be stuck together."

@Lucid_Nightlight
Flint put her hand on her own chin thoughtfully "I wonder what it would detect about me, even I don't know what is going on with my magic." she then looked at Twilight again "One more question, what would happen if one of us died? We know we can't harm each other, and yesterday it sounded like you knew that too, but what if let's say a timberwolf ripped me apart, what would happen to the bat-lizard?" bat-lizard meaning Somnus of course. 

@Catpone Cerberus

"We don't know honestly. This seems to be a combination of animus and draconequus magic. This spell was made long before we knew these worlds existed so it isn't made for animus magic and draconequus magic was and still is not fully understood."

"For a long time, we didn't even know there were other draconquui other than Discord. He in his words 'thought it wasn't important'."

Twilight would send them on their way and they'd soon be walking to the train station.

Ponies in leather or maybe synthetic leather, who knows, walked down the street while some guarded business. They seemed to have brought their own weapons from home, clearly militia.

"These militia ponies take their work seriously. Organized crime was essentially chased out of the country."