Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Estimated Pony Population count in G5?

Rafa Stary

In TYT episode "My Bananas", Pipp says one of her videos got 13 billion views, I think there's also a episode in MYM where is said that a video got million views but I can't check it for now because my Netflix account is suspended

Does this indicate how many ponies exist in G5 or is this just supposed to be the same hundred ponies rewatching the video over and over again? (which wouldn't surprise me since it seems like Sunny's video was rewatched countless times)

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-11-10 at 4:58 AM, Rafa Stary said:

In TYT episode "My Bananas", Pipp says one of her videos got 13 billion views, I think there's also a episode in MYM where is said that a video got million views but I can't check it for now because my Netflix account is suspended

Does this indicate how many ponies exist in G5 or is this just supposed to be the same hundred ponies rewatching the video over and over again? (which wouldn't surprise me since it seems like Sunny's video was rewatched countless times)

if an influencer refers to their viewcount, divide the number by a million. I can believe there are 13 thousand fillies following Pipp's streams though - she is pegasi royalty afterall. More indicative of the pony population though is that their level of tech is similar to our own, which implies that they went through a similar period of industrialization to us and must have a population in the millions at least.

• Brohoof 1

I think the only problem with that is the fact that G5's world is too small, like, it's not impossible, but for me it's quite hard to believe that the three cities can house such a huge amount of ponies, for me it's likely that these cities or at least the major part of theit areas were built and formed right after EoFiM and several years before ANG's opening scene, which I think it isn't contradictory to what was shown so far?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
On 2023-11-11 at 7:20 PM, Rafa Stary said:

I think the only problem with that is the fact that G5's world is too small, like, it's not impossible, but for me it's quite hard to believe that the three cities can house such a huge amount of ponies, for me it's likely that these cities or at least the major part of theit areas were built and formed right after EoFiM and several years before ANG's opening scene, which I think it isn't contradictory to what was shown so far?

It makes it look like prior to A New Generation, the entirety of each Pony tribe was living in a single city, instead of the three pony types living in dozens and dozens of settlements.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
(edited)

It seems to me like the population is highly concentrated, akin to Australia: There are a few densely populated urban areas and then lots of undeveloped wilderness with a few towns of little relevance in between. But this is pure speculation based on the fact the films and shows are centered on those three places. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

If we speculate further, the fact that city names in FIM Equestria are puns on North American cities (Manehatten, Fillydelphia, Vanhoover etc.) it would be fair to assume it's about as large as that. North America (USA and Canada) has nearly 400 million inhabitants. Since G5 shows a similiar tech and industrial level to today, it could easily have that population. But that's pure speculation. It could go in the billions which North America could sustain, or have only a few million with most lands uncultivated. If we also assume ponies consume as much ressources and space as humans.

The population in FIM (G4) is harder to say because the Schizo Tech levels make it hard to say which population Equestria could sustain.  But it looks kinda lower. Again, if it's the size of North America, maybe 100 million (what North America had in 1900 AD). In the HOI4 mod Equestria at War, it has a population of 50+ million, but that is pure fanon.

There's a map of Equestria where it looks very small, but it's made like those themepark-like maps for tourists and school kids that show only important and interesting sites, not like a road map one would use to find a specific address. The show staff admitted they don't use a map for writing and that the geography of both Ponyville and the whole of Equestria can be inconsistent.

Edited by Kosmostiraedan
  • Brohoof 2

48 minutes ago, Kosmostiraedan said:

There's a map of Equestria where it looks very small, but it's made like those themepark-like maps for tourists and school kids that show only important and interesting sites, not like a road map one would use to find a specific address. The show staff admitted they don't use a map for writing and that the geography of both Ponyville and the whole of Equestria can be inconsistent.

True, hard to expect to recreate a map like the US unless you are talking about Tolkien. Hell, about half of the shown cities in those weren’t even used. So it’s safe to say the actual map could be more populated and have as many towns and cities as the actual US. Great for fic writers :mlp_smug:

• Brohoof 1