Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tell Your Tale: Thoughts on Season 1

Misty Shadow

Now that the first season of Tell Your Tale is over with the initial order of seventy episodes having finished its run, how do you guys feel about the season as a whole? I thought it was good for the most part. It's no Make Your Mark, but I was honestly impressed at how there were no bad episodes, at least to me. Only a handful of episodes came close to being mediocre like Sparky's Sick and the recap episodes in my eyes. Season 2 should be coming very soon, so take this opportunity while you have it to discuss what you're expecting from it now. 

• Brohoof 4
  • Hugs 1

I LOVED TELL YOUR TALE SEASON 1! :winking-izzy: It made Pipp Petals and Izzy Moonbow swap places on my favorite G5 list and now Pipp is number 1! :Pip-giggle:

@Misty Shadow We were also introduced to the adorableness that is, Jazz Hooves! :jazz-hooves-please:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

It was a terrific season with so many fun and memorable episodes! In this list of 70 episodes only a couple I would classify as “ehh” tier.

The recap episodes were probably the weakest episodes, but that’s as bad as it got for me! I love the characters and the humor (that didn’t involve farts) and there were some really gosh darn great episodes too!

S1 overall I would give an 8/10!

Perhaps with the next season, they can make the episodes a bit longer so that they can flesh out the stories of the episode too!

Whatever they do though, I’m ready for more pony goodness!

• Brohoof 2

TYT isn't the best thing that came out of G5. There were some really bad episodes, but considering what it is - it isn't all that bad and I enjoyed watching it. I mean, I wouldn't have watched 70 episodes without enjoying it to some degree. The visual style of TYT is kinda bad, but, it makes up for it in the humor for me. Though the humor is a hit or a complete miss, with too many repetitive fart jokes.

• Hugs 1

I'm happy enough with it. I think I like it better than I expected to but the lack of continuity with Make Your Mark is a problem. Some episodes (actually very few of them) show that the writers sometimes have a real mastery of the five minute format. My Bananas and The Game is Ahoof are the best examples of this. Most other episodes are just a lot of high-speed slapstick and nonsense designed to keep young children with short attention spans entertained for five minutes. But that's all right. It's just nice to have some new Pony to look forward to every week or every two weeks.

I personally think TyT is a different continuity from MyM, not going to explain it with every detail because I already did in multiple past posts, but now that Season 1 ended I can add some extras to it, stuff as Sprout's absence, some continuity incosistences with MyM, the different depictions of some scenarios as Opaline Final Battle not featuring Spike, the cutie mark steal, the lack of references to anything G4 in general, these all make me think that the events of ANG and MyM happened differently in this continuity, maybe Sprout wasn't even there in TyT's version of ANG and the villain was other character or idk, but that's just me having fun, in reality that could be just a lack of communication between the creative teams behind the two series and I doubt Hasbro and the producers care about that.

That aside, In overall, I think it was a good season, I still prefer the 20 minutes format though, being limited to 5 minutes made some stories feel like a waste imo, but I think they did what they could Opaline Alone was my favourite ep, made me wish to see more Opaline centered episodes, I think we got good comical moments of her character in MyM and TyT as a more slice of life-ish series could've shown more of that side of her, but I'm fine with what we got

Also, talking about that episode, the song she sings in the episode is the best imo, it's also pretty interesting how the best song in this generation so far comes from this series and not from ANG or MyM, and the musical style of this generation isn't even one of my favourites Also, the score I think it was inferior to MyM, but it fits the purpose of TyT, I specially love how the thematic continuity of MyM was preserved here, well, at least Opaline and Misty's themes appear, I didn't notice the themes of other characters appearing, I guess that's because MyM came out after and Sean James Boyer was the one to compose the leitmotifs for Izzy, Hitch and etc? And since he's not in TyT, those themes can only appear in MyM? That would mean Benjamin Pinkerton was the one to compose Opaline and Misty's leitmotifs, and since he's in both MyM and TyT that could be the reason why these two motifs are the only ones to show up in both series, makes sense imo, also Pinkerton even made tracks based on some of the songs, so in some episodes you have a song and also BGMs with that song's melody, that's a very cool detail that which I think only Daniel Ingram did in a very few episodes from FiM before, a shame that both scores (and ANG's too) didn't even have a partial release :/

• 1 month later...

I've really liked Tell Your Tale so far. A lot of other adult bronies like me criticize it and don't like it but frankly I'm biased and like everything having to do with My Little Pony even if it is bad, but I do not personally think Tell Your Tale is bad.