Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reasons why YouTube is a bad place for G4 and EG

FirePuppy

Here are some reasons why YouTube is absolutely not the best place for MLP G4 or EG:

Made For Kids (Well, Not Really for Today's Kids)

Whenever anything on YouTube contains kids’ content, it almost always gets set to “made for kids”, including My Little Pony. YouTube is only doing this to avoid collecting data from children under 13. However, today's kids are not likely going to be interested in G4 or EG, unlike the kids who outgrew MLP over the years, and of course, any MLP video marked “made for kids” are actually “made for no one”, as it's only driving more and more fans away from YouTube, resulting in no audience for the official uploads from the MLP channels, and much less earnings for Hasbro.

Ads that may contain adult material

Sometimes, a video set to “made for kids” will show a commercial of an R or TV-MA rated film or program. This is only going to lead to more complaints from parents to the FTC, and YouTube could face even more charges on that.

The channels could get terminated

No matter how unlikely you guys all think the worldwide official MLP channels will get terminated, there never will be a 0% chance that it could still happen. Heck, I’ve seen an official clip of a Nickelodeon animated TV show uploaded by the official channel get taken down for violating YouTube’s TOS. Just like in poker, the chance of getting a royal flush is the same as the chance of an MLP YouTube channel getting terminated.

Not everything gets uploaded

Many of the international MLP channels always go on hiatus every once in a while, sometimes even for more than a year, and even by then, they still don't finish uploading the rest of the series. This is especially in the case of the Japanese dub of the show and the Equestria Girls series worldwide.

For all these reasons, I don't think YouTube is the right place at all for G4 or EG. G5 is okay there, though, but certainly not G4 or anything older than that. Anything from G4 or earlier generations deserve to be on a much better streaming service, besides YouTube and especially Discovery Family, their original network, where they've stayed there long enough by now. And besides, I've also terminated my own YouTube channels because there's lots of other streaming services I prefer anyways.

• Sad 1

I disagree on the basis is that Youtube is the only service I use to watch videos and on my re-watch, I've been able to rewatch all G4 episodes so far, and it's a wide audience that is not locked behind a payroll or subscription. Ads is a non-issue as they can be blocked and if one channel gets terminated, there are always more that are out there.

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

4 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

None of that info helps me even one bit.

I don't find your reasoning to be convincing. Youtube is one of the most popular places on the internet to share videos. Your points of reasoning here don't make sense, considering that younger generations consistently get interested into older content through youtube. MLP G4 videos and episodes have millions of views, so it is far from a "Bad" place for the show to be displayed. 

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

1 minute ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

I still think G4 and EG are treated with the best respect that YouTube can provide.  

I very much agree. While I have my issues with youtube, I don't have to pay for it, or even log into it if I just want to watch an episode. Other streaming platforms are usually locked behind subscription, pay roll, or other such measures that make it less easy to access. Youtube I believe is the best place for MLP content. 

On 2024-02-11 at 6:13 PM, Misty Shadow said:

I'm just glad Hasbro is uploading full episodes of Friendship is Magic on their YouTube channel for free. :fluttershy:

But with every YouTube channel demonetized, how can Hasbro make money out of that?

On 2024-02-11 at 3:39 PM, Props Valroa said:

I don't find your reasoning to be convincing. Youtube is one of the most popular places on the internet to share videos. Your points of reasoning here don't make sense, considering that younger generations consistently get interested into older content through youtube. MLP G4 videos and episodes have millions of views, so it is far from a "Bad" place for the show to be displayed. 

But for the Finnish version, at the very least, YouTube is still not the right place for it, as any episodes that get uploaded there always get copyright claimed by the "Copyright Information and Anti-piracy Centre", as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7GOyBeuAVQ

Moments ago, FirePuppy said:

But for the Finnish version, at the very least, YouTube is still not the right place for it, as any episodes that get uploaded there always get copyright claimed by the "Copyright Information and Anti-piracy Centre", as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7GOyBeuAVQ

I doubt that there are that many Finnish viewers for MLP on youtube, so your point doesn't make sense to me. There are always alternatives, but for the vast majority of people I believe Youtube is the best place for MLP G4. Copy Right strikes don't really matter all that much to me, because if it doesn't affect the content I watch, it doesn't matter.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Props Valroa said:

I doubt that there are that many Finnish viewers for MLP on youtube, so your point doesn't make sense to me. There are always alternatives, but for the vast majority of people I believe Youtube is the best place for MLP G4.

Whatever either way, I still want G4 and EG to be available anywhere but YouTube or Discovery Family because I terminated my YouTube membership months ago.

Edited by FirePuppy

4 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

But not for Hanazuki: Full of Treasures. Hasbro took down every episode of that show a few years ago.

Your argument in the OP is why Youtube " is a Bad place for G4 and EG". Other shows are irrelevant, so I fail to see what point you are trying to make here. What you are saying is unrelated.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Whatever it is, Netflix should at least just bring back anything that's not being released on YouTube, like Seasons 5-9 of MLP and all the Equestria Girls films and specials, once Discovery Family's time with Hasbro is done, since all the channels always keep stopping at Season 4 anyways.

Edited by FirePuppy

The only thing I particularly see that could be a problem with these channels (aside from them not uploading all the content properly) is the ridiculous audience of their livestreams, Paw Patrol's channel has at least more than a thousand children watching their livestreams, the MLP ones (worldwide) barely have a audience of 30 (all individually, of course)

Excluding this, the channels seem mostly fine to me, and I don't see the reason to add FiM to streaming services if the show is available for free on YT, it's one thing or another.

• Brohoof 1

It's much better to have it free on YT than anywhere else. I don't see any kind of reason for me to want to pay to watch it when I can watch it for free.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 2024-03-02 at 12:35 PM, Props Valroa said:

It's much better to have it free on YT than anywhere else. I don't see any kind of reason for me to want to pay to watch it when I can watch it for free.

Still, Hasbro isn't going to release everything in their library of G4 content on YouTube. And besides, what if something terrible happens to the official MLP YouTube channel?

Edited by FirePuppy

26 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Still, Hasbro isn't going to release everything in their library of G4 content on YouTube. And besides, what if something terrible happens to the official MLP YouTube channel?

Other people will just re-upload it. It wouldn't really matter to me if something happened to it or not, people re-upload things all the time. I much prefer Youtube for MLP than any other platform.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 2024-03-02 at 9:35 AM, Props Valroa said:

35 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Still, Hasbro isn't going to release everything in their library of G4 content on YouTube. And besides, what if something terrible happens to the YouTube channel?

8 minutes ago, Props Valroa said:

Other people will just re-upload it. It wouldn't really matter to me if something happened to it or not, people re-upload things all the time. I much prefer Youtube for MLP than any other platform.

I still watch episodes on youtube for free despite having subscriptions to a majority of platforms. I'm already in the midst of cancelling them all as I don't find their value worth it anymore. Jumping from streaming platform to platform to watch one show is just silly in my opinion. No company will ever put every part of their franchise on only one platform as there is so much profit in selling licensing rights. They will sell those rights to different networks all they want and will face no backlash since streaming platforms have been normalized. Hasbro has been intelligent with combining releases of G5's TYT and other media on Netflix to maximize revenues on both fronts.

Also, there is one Youtuber in particular that literally posts entire episodes and seasons on their channel for the past 10 years and their channel is still fine. I think Youtube is good.

Edited by StarlightNyars
  • Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1

29 minutes ago, Props Valroa said:

Well, not me. As I mentioned in the first post here, I got rid of all my own YouTube channels because of many issues. You could also change your mind one day should G4 get any severe copyright claims.

• 1 month later...

On 2024-02-11 at 3:39 PM, Props Valroa said:

MLP G4 videos and episodes have millions of views, so it is far from a "Bad" place for the show to be displayed.

Youtube I believe is the best place for MLP content. 

Unfortunately, as of today, that is NO LONGER true, because look at this:

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2024/04/hasbros-legal-team-is-back-on-youtube.html

• Sad 1