Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So, how about that aurora?

acori

Seems like the solar storms are lighting up the atmosphere even over places where you'd never expect to be able to see an aurora. It won't be visible here for another few hours, but I'm really excited. I'm far enough north that we've gotten occasional auroras before, but this is the first time in my life we're getting a big one without massive cloud cover, so I'll finally get to see it with my own eyes.

Anyone else still waiting for the sun to set? Anyone get any cool pictures of their aurora??

• Brohoof 4

9 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I’m in Florida. No auroras for me :sunny:

Oof, fair enough. Well, I hope you have something else fun to do, and you get to see lots of pictures!

• Brohoof 1

We live up north, but unfortunately me and my mom weren't able to see anything. I've always wanted to see northern lights in real life, but not today I guess...:(

On the brighter side, if anybody has pictures I'd love to see them!

• Sad 3

37 minutes ago, acori said:

Oof, fair enough. Well, I hope you have something else fun to do, and you get to see lots of pictures!

That could be cool. Oh well, gotta work tomorrow anyway, would be difficult seeing the aurora either way. 

(edited)

Wait… you mean…

AuRoRa BoReAlIs??

Sadly being too far south has yet another consequence :yeahno:.

Edited by DubWolf
  • Sad 3

There was too much light pollution to make out good detail with the naked eye here unfortunately. Could see some green streaks at times, and the whole northern sky had a very pinkish and green hue to it. Camera however had a much easier time seeing it. I think this is the first time ever where a smartphone camera has actually made something space related look better than it did IRL.

Spoiler

• Brohoof 2
  • Excited 4

I live in the North West of England, it was a bit cloudy here last night and there's some light pollution but I did see the Aurora around Midnight last night, there're not the clearest but these are the photo's I got:

Spoiler

IMG-20240511-000213443.jpg

IMG-20240511-000220731.jpg

IMG-20240511-000232436.jpg

IMG-20240511-000544313.jpg

IMG-20240511-000614762.jpg

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 3

IMG_4562.thumb.webp.74b1dff8e5594885f1a839fee6dd40f4.webp

Spoiler

It was cloudy and raining for me 🫠

• Brohoof 3
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Sad 1

The aurora is visible where I live, but it is faint. I don't remember ever seeing the aurora. I read the news and it turned out that there was an aurora at night, but I was already asleep and did not see it. Someday I'm going to go somewhere north for a few days, or to the Republic of Karelia or the Murmansk region, where the aurora is best seen. I've always wanted to see the aurora.

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 1

Finally, after all of these years, and I've killed two birds with one stone. I can't even remember the number of times I've laid out on the porch of my childhood home, or in my grandma's yard wrapped up in a sleeping bag, staring at the heavens. Whether it be for the Northern Lights or a meteor shower, I'd wait up for hours hoping to see something, that the clouds might clear, or until my eyes grew too heavy to keep open, finding myself covered in the morning's dew.

Last night my patience was rewarded, as a clear star-studded sky and thin crescent moon graced the horizon. My girlfriend saw a picture taken by someone further south than us, and we ran outside. Effervescent ribbons slowly appeared but were dimmed by the streetlight. Turning out the blinding burning bulbs as we went through the house, stepping out back and shielding our exhilarated faces from our emitting neighbors. We could see them! High above, slowly slithering into one another. Streams of a semi sentient mist glowing brighter with every wriggling minute.

Her phone captured faint greens and purples until they stretched across everything with only those distant fires dancing in their flow. And then one came for a visit. It hurried along, moving this way and that like someone looking through a crowd until it fizzled out. A rock possibly traveling a distance we couldn't expect to cover for many lifetimes, only to briefly greet our atmosphere with a tremendous explosion. That astrological moment of violence appearing as delightful whisp to the viewers below, and bringing nothing but peace.

• Brohoof 4

15 hours ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

There was too much light pollution to make out good detail with the naked eye here unfortunately. Could see some green streaks at times, and the whole northern sky had a very pinkish and green hue to it. Camera however had a much easier time seeing it. I think this is the first time ever where a smartphone camera has actually made something space related look better than it did IRL.

Hide contents

IMG_3595.thumb.jpeg.efc86e8f5876c9ed0793d68ad4459a52.jpeg
IMG_3594.thumb.jpeg.1123bef00f5ad297af5e978ea61c395a.jpeg

IMG_3598.thumb.jpeg.16ca5ab47484ad0712511c10422b82af.jpeg
IMG_3607.thumb.jpeg.408f8c24e83bc6bdb4f57545ce9f4178.jpeg

Wow... It looks marvelous! Especially that last photo, the streaks of purple look so majestic. These pictures turned out so well that I'm curious as to what type of phone you have. It looks so clear and bright, like it was taken with a professional camera.

10 hours ago, Rainbow Cloud said:

I live in the North West of England, it was a bit cloudy here last night and there's some light pollution but I did see the Aurora around Midnight last night, there're not the clearest but these are the photo's I got:

Hide contents

IMG-20240511-000220731.jpg

IMG-20240511-000232436.jpg

IMG-20240511-000544313.jpg

IMG-20240511-000614762.jpg

These photos look wonderful too... That first picture is absolutely gorgeous. I'm so glad I at least got to see some pictures of it, I'm sure it looked really beautiful:pinkie:

• Brohoof 2

25 minutes ago, luckyjulia said:

Wow... It looks marvelous! Especially that last photo, the streaks of purple look so majestic. These pictures turned out so well that I'm curious as to what type of phone you have. It looks so clear and bright, like it was taken with a professional camera.

These photos look wonderful too... That first picture is absolutely gorgeous. I'm so glad I at least got to see some pictures of it, I'm sure it looked really beautiful:pinkie:

I was surprised by how good they looked too! Especially since phone photos didn’t even come close to doing the total eclipse justice last month. I just have an iPhone 14 Pro and shot it at max exposure which was like 10 seconds. 

@CH11P

I believe it will still be visible tonight and possibly even tomorrow, but with less intensity since the geometric storm is ongoing.

On 2024-05-11 at 9:28 PM, SharpWit said:

@CH11P

I believe it will still be visible tonight and possibly even tomorrow, but with less intensity since the geometric storm is ongoing.

Oh. Nice, thanks :)

I live in Anaheim, CA, so there’s little chance I’ll ever see an aurora this far south. Even if there were any vague chance, the city lights here would obliterate any hope of a viewing. I’d love to see it though; It would have been worth taking a little trip northward.

• Hugs 1

I likely could have seen them last weekend, they came through my area, but I didn't stay up long enough and didn't try hard enough to find them around. Not really upset though.