Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Sushi Thread

FLARE

This thread is dedicated to the traditional Japanese food sushi.

Discuss sushi in this thread and this one only!

Sushi is a food consisting of cooked vinegared rice combined with other ingredients. forms of sushi presentation vary, but the ingredient which all sushi have in common is rice The most common "filling" is seafood.

Posted Image

Edited by Flare
  • Brohoof 1

Fatty tuna, smoked salmon, and inari are my favorite types of 'normal' sushi... as far as the Americanized (but still tasty) stuff goes, California rolls and Seattle rolls are my top dogs.

If you find a good sushi place, you owe it to yourself to order your sushi omakase - leave your choices to fate and the sushi chef.

• Brohoof 1

Fatty tuna, smoked salmon, and inari are my favorite types of 'normal' sushi... as far as the Americanized (but still tasty) stuff goes, California rolls and Seattle rolls are my top dogs.

If you find a good sushi place, you owe it to yourself to order your sushi omakase - leave your choices to fate and the sushi chef.

I do exclaim I very much quite enjoy similar, if not the same types of sushi you stated you did. You would appear to be superior because you share similar interest in sushi as I do.

An entire thread dedicated to sushi?

I approve.

Whenever I'm in the central business district of Melbourne, I always jump at the opportunity to grab a few sushi rolls for lunch, even if most places seem to sell them at massively inflated prices. My favourite would have to be any variant of vegetarian, although teriyaki chicken and spicy prawn are close contenders for best sushi too.

Oh, and a generous amount of wasabi is always required, can't forget that.

Edited by Swoop

Oh, and a generous amount of wasabi is always required, can't forget that.

Oh wasabi, how many are the ways that I love you?

Wasabi peas

Wasabi cashews

Wasabi mayonaise

Wasabi potato chips

... and just plain wasabi. When I go to sushi places I don't actually put it on the sushi. I eat it. By itself.

• Brohoof 1

There's a nice sushi bar right down the road from us that has all kinds of things I always try out. However naturally I don't really like the whole chewy meat texture (seafood stuffs :s) so I only pick the most appetizing, which is usually spicy tuna or crab something. Dunno the names, I just randomly pick off the menu. :P

I know for sure I've had one before called Tamago which was just egg and some other veggie stuff thrown in, and California rolls sounds familiar too.

However naturally I don't really like the whole chewy meat texture

That varies a lot depending on what exactly it is that you're eating. I don't recall what it was, but I remember getting something that was like trying to chew through rubber at a sushi restaurant I went to a few weeks ago... getting it down was almost painfully disgusting.

Oh wasabi, how many are the ways that I love you?

Wasabi peas

Wasabi cashews

Wasabi mayonaise

Wasabi potato chips

... and just plain wasabi. When I go to sushi places I don't actually put it on the sushi. I eat it. By itself.

INB4 Wasabi general thread.

Wait, there is sushi that is not fish?

Sushi, in and of itself, has nothing to do with fish, fish is just one of many common toppings and/or ingredients. :)

From Wikipedia,

Sushi (すし、寿司' date=' 鮨, 鮓, 寿斗, 寿し, 壽司[sup']?[/sup]) is a Japanese food consisting of cooked vinegared rice (shari) combined with other ingredients (neta). Neta and forms of sushi presentation vary, but the ingredient which all sushi have in common is shari. The most common neta is seafood.

I feel ashamed.

I have never had sushi.

I have always been afraid to have it :/

I have never had sushi before, this thread was a joke to start, but I guess not any more...

"Spam? Gets a bad rep, but isn't all that bad. Did you know that spam sushi is pretty big in Hawaii? I've tried it before, it's pretty good! "

-zoop

"zoop didn't you read the rules of becoming a moderator? you can not have any fun!

Spam sushi, I never liked sushi, there needs to be a general sushi discussion thread in Everfree Forest."

-flare

Edited by Flare

Looking at this thread makes me want to eat sushi again. It's been a while.

I do not know the names of sushi but I usually had the kind that doesn't have fish. Not so much because I don't like it but I just prefer the other kinds. Shrimp is good in sushi too.

• Brohoof 1

I went to an asian resteraunt today.

I saw sushi lying on one of the trays.

I went over to it and almost picked it up.

And changed my mind because it looked gross.

I am a chicken :/

• 3 years later...

Some people still hold the tradition of keeping live fish for sushi or meals for dinner. There's no way to tell if your fish is fresh unless you just chopped off its head yourself :)