Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Linux distro plans

Kaneki

Hi, I was wondering what everyone thinks of my plans for a Linux distro I'm creating:

"Unwind Linux is a Gentoo-based GNU/Linux distribution aiming at "simplistic minimalism". This means you get just the essentials and no extra programs, like the default GNOME extra apps. You get a desktop, package manager, browser and some GNU tools. Development started in July 2012 and is aiming for a late 2012 release. It relies mostly on open source software unlike some competitors who mix open source and proprietary software."

Support:

Free forum support and $59 a year premium support (premium includes phone, ticket, and VNC remote desktop support. Phone is limited to 5 incidents a month and unlimited for everything else).

Desktop: XFCE 4

Kernel: Hardened Gentoo kernel

Package manager: Pacman (Portage included but not managed by Unwind)

Installer: Anaconda or custom installer

Requirements: Not specified yet, but expected RAM usage is at least 256MB and a 1.0GHz processor.

• Brohoof 2

Just curious, why Xfce if you're going for minimalism? Xfce is nice and simplistic but you could definitely just pack a window manager on it's own instead of a whole desktop environment.

• Brohoof 2

Just curious, why Xfce if you're going for minimalism? Xfce is nice and simplistic but you could definitely just pack a window manager on it's own instead of a whole desktop environment.

Plan is to be a ready desktop without any un-needed stuff like GNOME and KDE(?) has.

(edited)

Sounds pretty interesting, haven’t really used xfce much as i prefer lxde by i heard its pretty good, hope all goes well

for you, got a site set up for it yet like sourceforge?, i would like to see some screenshots if you have any.

i would gladly test it if you got any images of it yet.

Edited by superponylinux

Well... I always preferred KDE, but that's just me. I'm not a fan of minimalism, though. I'd rather have my OS be able to "get shit done" faster and easier than me having to spend too much time specifying and tweaking everything.

(edited)

Sounds pretty interesting, haven’t really used xfce much as i prefer lxde by i heard its pretty good, hope all goes well

for you, got a site set up for it yet like sourceforge?, i would like to see some screenshots if you have any.

i would gladly test it if you got any images of it yet.

Equipment issues have delayed the release a bit to August or September. But here's the site:

http://unwindlinux.org/

EDIT: Screwed up the Nginx configuration file. Gotta re-do the server now, brb. >_>

Edited by DeveloperPony